main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Innocence Lost. Qui-Gon guides Obi-Wan thru a trial. pre-TPM. Drama, one shot.

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Valairy Scot, Apr 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Title: Innocence Lost
    Author(s): Valairy_Scot
    Timeframe: right before TPM
    Characters: Obi-Wan Kenobi, Qui-Gon Jinn
    Genre: drama, I suppose.
    Keywords: Obi-Wan Kenobi, Qui-Gon Jinn, trials
    Summary: A trial is supposed to test a Jedi. How does it feel to shed blood for the first time?
    Notes: Originally, I meant for Obi-Wan to be mid to late teens, but when you read the ending, you will know why he's - a different age. It might hurt the story some, but it makes the ending perfect. IMHO.

Innocence Lost

I now have bloody hands. It could not have ended any other way; it would be his death or mine. It could not have been otherwise, I know. A Jedi accepts the responsibility and the need, should the occasion arise, but my heart hurts all the same. Only now do I know the weight and the burden such power carries. I will remember it, always. I will always regret it, and never regret it. It had to be done, but I do not take its doing lightly. I only did what I must. - Obi-Wan Kenobi, reflecting on the death of Qui-Gon Jinn
    I Have Failed You

Duty. Responsibility. Power. Need. Fear. Acceptance.

All this flashes through your mind within less than an instant. Necessary. You will never be the same, afterwards. A part of you will die.

A larger part of you will die if you don?t do what you must. Innocent lives hang on your ability to do this. You swore an oath to protect the citizens of the galaxy. You meant it. You knew the price you must someday pay.

Sacrifice. For that is a Jedi?s duty. To serve and protect. Your oath. Your honor. You must sacrifice your own innocence to save others. You must take a life ? you must kill.

For innocence or innocents will die this day. Innocent beings will die this day. Their blood will be on your hands. Or his.

You must sacrifice your innocence to save them or sacrifice innocents to save your innocence. It is your choice ? them, or yourself. Whose hands will the blood be on?

You know it will be on yours ? for saving them and killing him, or for killing him and saving them. There will still be blood shed. Whose blood?

And you know the answer. There is only one answer.

Jedi. You are Jedi.

You have just one chance, and it must be a killing blow. There truly is no other way; there is no way to avoid this.

Quicker than a blink of an eye, you have faced this moment and you now do what you must. Your lightsaber ignites and you swing, taking off his arm, cutting through his torso and watch the dead body slump to the ground. The hostage falls and you are there to catch him - afraid to touch him with your bloody hands - but you can?t let him fall.

You lower the hostage gently to the ground and you see no blood. You look at your hands, and they too are free of blood, yet you see it. Stained red. You will never be the same again.

There is another being with a blaster. You whirl, ready to take down this second attacker and you realize it is only a foolish citizen, wishing to appear to be a hero. You have already started your swing ? you can truthfully say you reacted in the heat of battle ? but you thumb off your lightsaber and let it fall to your side, breathing a sigh of relief that you recognized this being is just another innocent caught in this terrible situation.

Behind you, the Force whispers and you whirl, lightsaber up in defensive position and this is another being, bent on killing ? he will kill those around him in defiance.

No! You have already killed once, you don?t want to do this again and your heart is screaming merciful Force, not again, I don?t want to kill again - and you swing, and another being dies at your hand.

A Jedi accepts the responsibility and the need, should the occasion arise, but your heart hurts all the same. Only now do you know the weight and the burden such power carries.

You will never be the same again. You have taken a life. There is n

2. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003

Obi-Wan nodded mutely, and looked at his hands. They aren?t red a soft whisper of astonishment came through the bond, quickly stifled and followed by an apologetic thought.

?No, Obi-Wan, they aren?t red,? Qui-Gon answered steadily, taking the callused hands in his and rubbing his thumb over the palms, urging the clenched hands to relax. ?They will never be stained red, as long as you regret each life you have had to take. The stain comes from killing in anger, wantonly ? the red is a mark of shame that your mind places on them. Your hands will never be stained red as long as you remain true to being a Jedi.? He let the words sink in, felt Obi-Wan slowly nod and relax his hands within his master?s soft clasp.

Awwwwwww LOVED that bit. [face_love]

3. Noelie

Noelie Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 11, 2005
    It was far harder for a padawan to accept that a Jedi might have to sacrifice another being for a greater good, than it was to kill a being in order to save others. It was a test of no easy choices, where each option resulted in death and pain. That darker test lay ahead in Obi-Wan?s future. For that, Qui-Gon was grateful.

In that test, he would be the sacrificial victim. Obi-Wan would have to leave him, apparently dying, to save others, or save his master and abandon his duty. When this trial came and was passed, Obi-Wan would be ready to assume the rank of Knight, for by then he would have passed all the trials and tests that would have prepared him for the rank.

Yes, this would a very difficult concept. I think of our Marines (because my son is one) and he knows his duty, but still in the end how often I have heard the best of them say "Not one left behind". They do what they must, but they do everything they can to not leave the fallen behind for good.

In all of these I try to think of real life equivalents because I think that is how we learn. How would these real Jedi act? How would they as men think and behave?

Thank you for an interesting view of the trials. I look foward to more of this.

4. MASTER_KAYM

MASTER_KAYM Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 3, 2004
    This is so beautifully done! I really love it! =D=

5. Glenstorm

Glenstorm Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 27, 2006
    Great piece of writing. I thought the way you brought home the difficulties that a Jedi must face with their choices was wonderful. :D

But if only the 'darker trial' could have been just all an illusion too. :(

I don't believe I'm the only one wanting a word with Lucas about that particular scene.

6. Fifilla

Fifilla Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 9, 2006
    That was really amazing!
    And the last line was so sad! :_|

7. kenobiwanobi

kenobiwanobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 26, 2005
    One word:Amazing!

8. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Layren: I have to imagine, as a layman, that taking a life even when justified has to leave a mark on the person who took it. Even when an accident, or unpreventable. We had a case some years back when a passenger in a stalled car on the shoulder of a busy freeway opened the door and stepped out right in the path of a bus. Mom was killed in front of her kids - the papers were "oh, the poor kids who saw their mom killed," and I was all "oh, the poor bus driver who had no chance to avoid her, and has to live with the fact that he hit her even though she stepped in front of him."

Noelie: Yes, this would a very difficult concept. I think of our Marines (because my son is one) and he knows his duty, but still in the end how often I have heard the best of them say "Not one left behind". They do what they must, but they do everything they can to not leave the fallen behind for good.

In all of these I try to think of real life equivalents because I think that is how we learn. How would these real Jedi act? How would they as men think and behave?
    Yeah, I bet our military folks could contribute a lot to our understanding. My brother is retired USAF - as much as we're apart politically, I respect those who serve and protect us.

Master_Kaym: Thanks so much.

Glenstorm:Great piece of writing. I thought the way you brought home the difficulties that a Jedi must face with their choices was wonderful. Thank you.

Fifilla: Aw, I'm glad you thought that was amazing. Yeah, that last line came to me while writing it, and that's why I changed Obi-Wan to 25.

Kenobiwanobi: Thanks! I rather like the use of 2nd Person POV to start out this one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.