main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Insatiable - (Luke/Mara, angst) Complete! Epilogue posted 12 May

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by JadeLotus, Nov 26, 2005.

1. JadeLotus

JadeLotus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2005
    AniriRevan - Thank you, yes it does!

Jedi-Roxy - Thanks! Will certainly add you to the PM list.

To all those who have asked for the PM chapter, I have not forgotten you! I am trying to locate the file and it should be sent out asap. Thanks to all for reading and for being patient!

[b]Chapter 26[/b]

Luke drew Mara into a fierce hug as soon as the turbolift doors closed behind them. She squirmed slightly in his arms but allowed his embrace, even resting her head on his shoulder. He wanted to say how proud he was of her, but didn?t want to sounds patronising.

?Holo scum,? he heard Mara mutter into the folds of his tunic. They?d just barely managed to navigate the distance between his speeder and the entrance to the Smugglers Alliance HQ without being savaged by hordes of holoreporters and press. Luke had tried to dodge them in his speeder but the sheer mass of them meant he had been unable to lose them all. And somehow, they had managed to anticipate where they were going, because there were twice as many waiting outside the doors when they arrived.

?Are you okay?? Luke asked.

Mara pulled away and tossed her hair dismissively. ?Didn?t even notice them,? she declared, and Luke smiled slightly.

?You ready??

?Skywalker, I?m always ready.? It was a typical response, and for a moment it was the Mara he remembered ? that fierce determination that would drive her to anything. He knew how strong it could be - for that fierce will had once been directed against him; now she was challenging it inwards. She would succeed, or fail. There was no other option.

Luke and Mara sat across the briefing table from Aves, who was staring at them with a mix of suspicion and pity, and had been doing so for the past five minutes.

?So, what?s your answer?? Mara snapped, apparently annoyed by the lack of response to what Luke had believed to be a heartfelt speech.

?Of course I?ll take over the organisation, Mara,? he replied in a measured tone. ?If you?re sure that?s what you want.? His eyes flickered to Luke.

?He?s got nothing to do with it,? Mara snapped again, then sighed heavily, as if to release all of her anger in one breath. ?Of course this is not what I want,? she said evenly after a long silence. ?But this is what has to happen.?

?It?s just you were so adamant before, about what Talon wanted,? Aves pressed.

?He certainly didn?t want us to stop trading, and that?s exactly what happened,? Mara replied. ?You were...right, Aves,? she managed to continue. ?I let him down. We?ve lost some of our contracts, our reputation...and I let it happen. But I?m trying to fix that now.?

Ave?s expression was inscrutable. ?Alright,? he said finally, and Mara pushed across a datapad for his signature. He scrawled his name and passed it back across the table to Mara, who seemed to have quite some difficulty signing her name. Pen in hand, the tip hovered above the datapad, her fingers shaking slightly for several long moments. Luke knew it was a difficult moment for her. She was not only signing her livelihood away, but the last tangible link she had to Talon.

Then, in a bold, quick action, Mara signed the electronic form, and the deed was done. She pushed back the datapad to Aves. ?I?m sure the Alliance lawyers can ratify that,? she said, her businesslike voice displaying only a hint of pain. ?And our Eleiic account is worth the most to us...you,? she corrected, ?so I would start on that; the Ambassador enjoys Alderaanian cuisine, I suggest a business dinner to get him on side. And the Wild Karrde fuelling systems are due for a service, and...well, I?m sure you know what?s best.?

Luke looked at Mara?s hands fisted in her lap ? her sharp nails were digging into her palms. Luke reached under the table to gently loosen her grip, and she took his hand in both of hers gratefully.

?Thank you, Mara,? Aves said.

?Aves,? Mara said as he started to rise from the table, and he halted, looking at her shrewdly

2. RedGold

RedGold Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2004
    You're so evil!

I'm so proud. :D

[face_batting]

3. Golden_Jedi

Golden_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 10, 2005
    But in the morning she woke up early, packed her things and left his apartment for good.

Ouch! :eek:

Still, it's sooo nice to see this story updated! :)

4. Jedi-Roxy

Jedi-Roxy Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 13, 2002
    Wait... she... huh? How could she? WHY did she? What's going on here??? Why do I feel out of the loop? She can't just leave him... that's a step backwards... Fix it! Make it all better again!!!!! Pretty Please???

Phoenix

5. Handmaiden_Azul

Handmaiden_Azul Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 29, 2005
    Nasty JL, nasty, tempting me, leading me on like that.

6. StarFighter5

StarFighter5 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2003
    As much as it may be :_| that she can't stay with him, Mara needs to be on her own in order to fully heal. I'm happy to see this updated though. Don't take so long with the next one.;)

7. Master_M_Sky

Master_M_Sky Jedi Master star 1

Aug 3, 2006
    Thank you so much for updating!! [:D] [:D] :)

But why the evil cliffie??? :_|:_|

Oh well. She's finally told him that she loves him...and she resisted temptation. I'm proud of her. :)

8. Jade_Pilot

Jade_Pilot Jedi Master star 5

Dec 10, 2005
    But in the morning she woke up early, packed her things and left his apartment for good.

Say what??????????? :eek: I did NOT see that coming at all! But yay--an update!!! Can't wait for the next, girl!!

Well done! =D=

9. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    My admiration for Mara was over the top in this update. I loved them reestablishing their relationship: their banter, their trust, sweetness. The dance scene, Mara's realization of love, just melted me!!!! The whole yummy thing was so SQUEE! worthy it was absolutely ridiculous.... until: But in the morning she woke up early, packed her things and left his apartment for good.

WHAT????!!!!!!!?????? IS UP WITH THAT??????!!!! :eek:

Okay, that early part spoiled me!!! I want some more mush!!! Fast!!!

[:D]

10. jade51999

jade51999 Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    Oh now that was just...WRONG

But oh so good...

11. Ariapaige

Ariapaige Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 25, 2002
    so i'm reading and reading, and thinking 'yay, they're gonna be okay.' and then i get to the end and i just sat there staring at the screen in horror.

but why!!?? :_|

on the other hand, thanks for the update. it made my night :)

-paige

12. cggunnersmate

cggunnersmate Jedi Master star 1

Jul 24, 2007
    Ditto for the most part. Although I can see Mara needing to feel a little independant again. I can only hope that she's just altering the living arrangments and not actually ending the relationship. Great update JL!

13. PHGS_Weyr

PHGS_Weyr Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 11, 2006
    That was pure Sith!! I like it!! Great Job as always!

Thanks for the PM!

PHGS Weyr

14. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    Wonderful update! I love how Mara is setting her life on track again. It must have killed her to give Aves the business, but she knows he will take care of it (and Ghent) for her. It would have been much worse to give it over to someone who didn't know Talon.

Mara left, huh? I wonder if this is a parallel to her testing her limits in the spice dens. If that was her testing herself to see if she can make it on her own without the addiction to spice, perhaps leaving Luke is her way of testing to see if she can make it on her own without the addiction to Luke.

Luke has to be incredibly patient. Mara looks and acts better, but she is still not well.

15. ccp

ccp Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 29, 2005
    Great couple of updates!

Looks like Luke will have to learn to trust her again.

16. Blue_Milkshake

Blue_Milkshake Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 18, 2005
    Whaaaaaat?!?!?!?:eek:
    So they love each other...and she leaves? What are you up to here?[face_thinking]

17. ginchy

ginchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 25, 2005
    Like I've said before, if Mara doesn't want him, I've got plenty of room for him here... [face_devil]

Oh, JL, you're just evil and breaking my heart! But I know you and your inside-track with Mara--I'm sure you have her reasons pegged down perfectly.

Great to see you back, lady! [:D]

18. MirandaFair

MirandaFair Jedi Master star 4

Jun 13, 2005
    I'm proud of Mara for facing the test she set up for herself but I can't figure out (or I'm trying not to) why she left Luke. They both were making great progress. Luke is going to be devestated. I know I'll be there right with him... :( Excellent chapter, JL... you know just how much to give to drive us nuts! ;) [face_laugh]

19. Feng_Huang

Feng_Huang Jedi Master star 2

Apr 17, 2005
    [face_hypnotized]evil falls too short for an ending like this...

20. Jaira

Jaira Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2005
    Gah! Mean, evil....author!:mad:

21. AvenKiel

AvenKiel Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 18, 2003
    Yayyy! Mara and Lukey are in Lurve, and Mara finally moved out into her own apartment so that she can date Luke properly and get her independance back!!! Right?! [face_praying]

22. maramijade

maramijade Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 17, 2000
    I must say luke will be crushed

mmmmm evil author, here have a cookie. . .

23. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    An update!! :D =D=[face_dancing]

I'm so glad DRL is letting up enough for you to write again. :D Good on Mara for being willing to face her demons and the L/M was [face_love] .

[:D]

24. JEDIFLYSWATTER

JEDIFLYSWATTER Jedi Master star 3

Dec 10, 2004
    Mara oh Mara. I guess I do understand but I am not so sure Luke will. I think she needs to see if she can make it on the outside. Out in the real world where she is not in a protected atmosphere. Relying on Luke so much and proving to herself that she can make it. Just like leaving rehab. Watch out girl for that six week hump that seems to fall on recovering addicts. Still I think it was terrible of her to leave in the middle of the night but that's Mara. Hope she left him a note explaining why she ran. Super post and thank you.@};-

25. jackyyy17

jackyyy17 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 12, 2006

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018