main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Insatiable - (Luke/Mara, angst) Complete! Epilogue posted 12 May

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by JadeLotus, Nov 26, 2005.

1. Jetta

Jetta Jedi Youngling star 1

May 30, 2001
    Here and ready as ever. :D This was an exciting chapter. 1 thing, though! When is poor Luke going to be happy? 1st Mara and thankfully Callista. But really poor Luke needs a break. I think we know a red head who could help. It's always a good day when wonderful updates are made. Thanks for a great read. :D

2. JEDIFLYSWATTER

JEDIFLYSWATTER Jedi Master star 3

Dec 10, 2004
    I was a little confused there for a second. I thought, "Callista! Where did she come from?" Then I thought okay she is going to mess with his male ego again and leave. Glad she is done and Luke is no worst for wear. So far. Am worried that Luke is going to bury his humanity so deep and become the stoic diamond hard Jedi Master that it will take a master cutter to find his heart. He needs a big hug.[:D] Love that Wedge! He has always been one of my very favorite characters. Always knows what to say and is loyal as a old hound dog. Good old Wedge. Just hope Mara has come to terms enough with herself to go back to her dear friend/lover and clear her conscience. I think she will. Super job and missed you! Thanks.@};-

3. Angelmine_29

Angelmine_29 Jedi Master star 1

Aug 29, 2004
    Oh wonderful - a new update! Glad to see this back and looking forward to the next update.

Loved my boy Wedge still watching Luke's back - that's what a best friend and wingman is all about!

4. Jaina_and_Jag

Jaina_and_Jag Jedi Master star 5

Apr 19, 2003
    This story is amazing!!! :D Quite the twists and turns. And Callista?? Thank God we didn't have to see too much of that. :p

I just love this! [face_love] Definitely would love to be added to the PM list. :)

5. PHGS_Weyr

PHGS_Weyr Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 11, 2006
    Great job!

That was a great post!

Thaks for the pm!

PHGS WEYR

6. AvenKiel

AvenKiel Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 18, 2003
    EEK! The body snatcher, she gave me the willies from the very first! Glad she's gone. Now.... go find Mara!

7. academygrad88

academygrad88 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 6, 2004
    Yea!!! An update. Wonderfully written! Usually I don't like the bodysnatcher, but she really hasn't interfered with the L/M part of the story and her leaving might get Mara to seek out Luke. She better seek out Luke. I WANT A HAPPY ENDING!!![:D]

AG88

8. MirandaFair

MirandaFair Jedi Master star 4

Jun 13, 2005
    Wow, JL! Fantastic change of gears in storytelling. =D= So many more variables out there to get in the way of Luke and Mara finally (hopefully [face_praying] ) getting together for good. Wedge was a sweet add to the mix, too! :cool: I always enjoy your updates...this one certainly made my night. [:D] It is reading work like this that makes me miss the forums so much now that I'm back in student mode... Well, until the next update! @};- O:)

9. Jaira

Jaira Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2005
    Yay, an update!!! Yay, Wedge found Mara! Go get Luke, Mara!

10. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    Woah. I did not see any of that coming. :eek: Excellent chapter and transition!! =D= And the Mara/Wedge scene was fantastic!

Sooooooo glad to see you writing this again!! [:D]

11. maramijade

maramijade Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 17, 2000
    the ball is definitely in her court. and well. . . Callista at least gave him a reason this time. . .

12. Handmaiden_Azul

Handmaiden_Azul Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 29, 2005
    Am I still on the PM list. Cause I still want to be.

13. pregnantpadme

pregnantpadme Jedi Master star 4

Oct 25, 2004
    Everytime I find this story I'm blown away by how amazing it is.

I can't believe that after all that Mara left him, and yet I totally get it. But enough already. She needs to go to Yavin and sweep him off his feet, or explain something to him...or something. Or you need to right 'the end' so I can go off and just feel sad that they weren't able to live happily ever after, but at least she stayed clean and I know that she left because she could never live under the scrutiniy or subject him to the scrutiny of the press.

In other words; I would either like closure or more story.

Not to be demanding or anything.

I'd also love a PM if you update since I've now lost this story three times and every time I find it I think 'man...I love this story, how do I keep losing it?'.

Also, the writing was amazing, as I may have said in all two of the comments I"ve put in (not enough to show my appreciation of this gem). And though Mara the addict is clearly not canon, I have to say that your characterization was amazingly accurate, imo, despite that. Like if Zahn had written her as a spice addict, this is how she would have been...late...confused...Zahn right...not stackpole...much too tired dig out books and lok at covers.

ANyway, there are all the thoughts I'm capable of at this hour.

Beautifully done. Having just abandon my own long fic for 10 months, and only updating for the first for the first time this week, I'm the last person to ask for an update, but man would I love to see one.

Preggers

14. JadeLotus

JadeLotus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2005
    Apologies for yet another lengthy delay between chapters.

tasujad - An ending of some kind is on the way very shortly :D

Jade_eyes - Thank you! [:D]

Golden_Jedi
    - Many thanks!

jade51999 - I do heart Wedge, and couldn't resist putting him in there.

StarFighter5 - Yes, it is up to Mara to make the right decision.

cggunnersmate - You'll be able to see what Luke wil do soon :)

ccp - Thank you!

TenelKaSolo - Many thanks!

Irish_Jedi_Jade - Thank you! :D

Blue_Milkshake - Thanks! Trust Wedge to tug the heartstrings :D

Jade_Pilot - Thanks! I wanted to approximately keep the canon timeline, so Callista had to be in there somewhere.

Jetta - Thank you - Luke does need a break, poor guy!

JEDIFLYSWATTER - Good old Wedge, indeed, he's always there to talk sense. Thanks for reading!

Angelmine_29 - Thank you!

Jaina_and_Jag - Many thanks! Will add you to the PM list.

PHGS_Weyrm - Thanks for reading!

AvenKiel
    - Heh - thank you!

academygrad88 - Happy ending? What's that? :p

MirandaFair - Thank you! :D

Jaira - Many thanks!

Jedi Trace - :D It's good to suprise people - thank you!

maramijade - That it is - thanks for reading!

Handmaiden_Azul - Yep, you are still on the PM list - did I miss you last time? Apologies if I did.

pregnantpadme - [face_blush] Thank you! I will be continuing this, and the fic itself is nearing its resolution. I've been a bit sidetracked and unsure of how I was going to wrap things up, but hopefully it will all work out to everyones satisfaction :) I will add you to the PM list.

15. JediMike2372

JediMike2372 Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 2, 2008
    I am new to this site and read this story and love it. Is there a conclusion to it? I see that the last post was on 3/12 and would love to know how it ends up.

16. JadeLotus

JadeLotus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2005
    JediMike2372 - Here is the next chapter :) Glad you are enjoying it.

[b]Chapter 28[/b]

Luke checked his chrono. 1400. Plenty of time for him to finish his walk in the Imperial Gardens before heading back for dinner at Leia?s. Han had been so intent on keeping him occupied that his presence had become almost suffocating, and Luke had spent every morning for the past week on Coruscant desperately hung over. He had relished the opportunity to least spend a few hours on his own, enjoying the sculpted beauty of the gardens and the plant life so different from what he was used to on Yavin IV. It was peaceful.

?I thought I might find you here.?

Luke stiffened, and slowly turned around. No, he hadn?t been hearing things. Standing behind him, in the path back into the city, was Mara Jade.

?Hello Luke,? she said, and smiled nervously.

Luke laughed. ?Hello Luke?? he said disbelievingly. ?What a greeting!?

Mara looked a little embarrassed. ?I wasn?t sure what else to say.?

?Yes, I suppose it would be rather hard to make conversation after ? what has it been ? two years?? he said bitterly.

?Almost two and a half,? Mara corrected him.

Luke sighed. He supposed this was going to happen eventually ? even as big as the universe was, they?d run into each other by accident more times than seemed probable. But she?d said ?[i] I thought I?d find you here[/i] ? meaning she?d been looking for him. ?So,? he addressed her, ?after two and a half years, why are you here??

Mara bit her lip ? he?d never seen her so uneasy, so fidgety. ?I?ve come to explain.?

?I think the time where this could all be explained to be has passed.? He turned to walk away.

?Luke, please,? she ran up to him, and caught his sleeve. He turned back around. ?Don?t you even want to know? Even if you no longer feel anything for me, aren?t you the least bit curious??

Luke considered this. When it had happened, he had been desperately curious, had gone to see every single one of their mutual acquaintances to find out if they had seen her. He?d even spent an inordinate amount of time in spice dens, just in case she had returned to her old life. But she?d disappeared. After finally accepting that she didn?t want to be found, Luke had moved on. Although he would have thought her reappearance would inspire something in him. But it did not ? he wasn?t even angry.

?Not really,? he answered.

?Oh.? Mara drummed her fingers against her belt ? if she had rehearsed this moment in her mind, it was certainly not going to her plans. ?Won?t you let me tell you anyway??

?Why would I want to do that?? Luke asked her passively, all bitterness gone, just leaving a sense of apathy.

Mara smiled thinly. ?One last favour, I suppose,? she said eventually. ?For old times sake.?

It was then that his sense of compassion revealed itself. He reminded himself that he had forgiven others for their faults and actions ? even when it had hurt him deeply. Forgiveness was always something that as a Jedi, he should be willing and able to grant.

?Fine,? he said, shaking his head in defeat. ?But I don?t have much time.? He was very aware of what Leia would say if he arrived late to dinner. Because after all, she was at the Senate all day in endless meetings and panels and inquiries and still managed to make it to the table on time ? a fact she was only too willing to remind them of if they tried to make excuses.

?Thank you,? Mara said earnestly. She gestured to a bench nearby, and Luke obliged her by taking a seat.

She remained quiet for a few moments, and Luke took the time to study her. She looked different ? her hair was shorter, cropped around her shoulders in a style so different to the severe braids she had once favoured. She looked far healthier ? no longer gaunt and pale, and the haunted look in her eyes had subsided. She seemed content with herself, despite her obvious discomfort around him.

?I?ve been in the Outer Rim,? she began finally. ?I set up my own trading

17. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    How wonderful! An update! This is easily one of the best stories on the boards, and to see more is to dive right back into the best that's out there. Thank you, JadeLotus!

Han nodded. ?It?s difficult, after being away so long to break back into the market. It takes a lot of work.?

?I know,? Mara agreed, and picked up her drink again. ?But the reward is worth the effort.?

Han chose his words carefully. ?You might expect some strong resistance, at first,? he told her. ?But perseverance is the most important thing. You?ll be fine, Jade.?

Mara almost smiled, and nodded in thanks.

:cool: Clever, Han. You knew what to say, and she knew how to hear it.

Luke has put up with so much from Mara. I can't blame him for not welcoming her back. Can he ever trust her again? She has to show him she's really changed, that she isn't irredeemable. Luke gave his heart to give her her life back. She will have to find a way to even the exchange.

Wonderful update! =D= =D=

18. jade51999

jade51999 Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    An update!

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOo

(And it was well worth the wait.) I like her explanation. She's more centered. Stronger...

19. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    I've heard that hate isn't the opposite of love--apathy is. [face_worried] Lands, this was genius!! The dialogue.... the emotions!!! Han was terrific. :D Mara...perfection. :) Luke...is either deluded or over it. :( No rust on this diamond!!!!!!!! Huggles!!!!!!!

20. Jedimaster_JainaSolo

Jedimaster_JainaSolo Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 25, 2003
    I love it when Han ends up giving advice, no matter how "veiled". He is so much wiser than anyone realizes. And I really like that last sentence...sounds promising. great update! I really enjoyed it!

[face_cowboy]Dana[face_cowboy]

21. pregnantpadme

pregnantpadme Jedi Master star 4

Oct 25, 2004
    Thank you so much for the PM!

This was great! I loved the emotion from Mara, she was clearly settled in her new life, or at least comfortable that she had acomplished what she needed to. I also liked Luke's reaction, it was exactly as I would have expected, he didn't jump back to her, was still angry, but not mean. I also liked how you had Mara nervous, but knowing that this was what she ought to do. She was facing up to what she had done and didn't shy away form the fact that she had hurt him deeply.

Han was great, I really liked his stepping in, but pretending not to.

I''m very much looking forward to the next installment now that Han has given Mara enough hope to go after what she wants.

Preggers

22. Golden_Jedi

Golden_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 10, 2005
    Wow, you've got me crying all chapter long! Luke's reaction to Mara's reapperance wasa so real!

=D= =D= =D= =D= =D=

Great to see an update!

23. angry_bendu1

angry_bendu1 Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 15, 2007
    Wow, this is a fantastic story. If you wouldn't mind PMing me when you update it would be much appreciated. Thanks!:)

24. Myriad_Daydreams

Myriad_Daydreams Jedi Master star 4

Jun 22, 2007
    *delurks*

Awesome update JL! Keep up the awesome work, I know you'll do a great job with this, I've been enjoying very much so far :D

25. TenelKaSolo

TenelKaSolo Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 18, 2004
    YAY!!

I think there may be hope. I so love this fic. I'm glad you finally updated!

And Han's disguised relationship advice was spot on!