Beyond Insatiable - (Luke/Mara, angst) Complete! Epilogue posted 12 May

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by JadeLotus, Nov 26, 2005.

Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
  1. ginchy Force Ghost

star 4
    Lady!! When you said you were writing I had no idea you had a post! I'm sneaking on during my lunch break to read! LOL

I love this! I'm so happy it's back. I love how Mara has made peace with herself and now with Luke, and though it's sad that they are not together I think too much water has passed under the bridge for it to happen, at least 'now' in the story. I love how she returned the lightsaber, even if it was a saber in MY gut!

I guess this is why it's a good thing they had 10 years before they got together in (blasted) profic. They needed time to be themselves before they could be with each other.

Excellent, gal! I can't wait for more! :D
  2. Nyota's Heart Combos & Paragraphs Host

Game Host
    star 6
    JadeLotus:

This is an amazing update =D= You can feel Mara's maturity and candor brimming @};-

I only know of Cade & Deliah through the amazing writings of jedi Trace and divapilot but the L/M dynamic seems very similar here [face_thinking]

A true and genuine love but in such self-other-destructiveness that even when the parties put their lives back together again -- :( :( :_| they cannot rebuild a love relationship. The trust and joy they might be able to reforge is lost under all the debris of what they did to each other.

:(

[:D]

~Jade
  3. Hazel Force Ghost

star 4
    How can one chapter be heart lifting and heart breaking at the same time?

Good to see Mara healing :) but I want my L/M mush. :(

Beautiful chapter and thanks for the PM.

@};-
  4. GreyItan Jedi Master

Would it be too forward of me to ask for a copy of that super-special-secret-bonus chapter as well? Before you answer that question, I'd just like you to know that I stayed up all night reading this, registered this account just a few moments ago for the sole purpose of posting here, and this is my first post. :)
  5. ginchy Force Ghost

star 4
    So, I had lunch yesterday with two fantastic ladies... one was JadeLotus and the other was RedGold. I was not worthy!! Anyway, I brought the topic around to Insatiable (I had to do it!) and was promised by JL herself that this fic would be finished by the end of 2011!! [face_dancing] [face_dancing] So hang on, folks. It's coming!! (Not to mention I asked RG about a few of her fics and the news sounds promising...) :D :D
  6. Nyota's Heart Combos & Paragraphs Host

Game Host
    star 6
    Gasp! The original L/M triumvirate having lunch in one place @};- :D :D !!!

Happy wriggling on the news from JL and RG!

[:D] !!!!

7. Piper057 Jedi Knight

star 2
    Wow, thank you for wonderful news! [:D]

Symbols, symbols...[face_praying]
  8. bkbva Jedi Knight

star 1
    I think I've been away from here forever. Very nice to see that this might get completed this year. Yay!
  9. JadeLotus Force Ghost

star 4
    Piper057 - Thank you!

divapilot - Thank you - I am happy to be writing again! I thought Mara returning the lightsaber would be interesting, and very symbolic of her. And it was nice to write Ghent as grown-up :D

Jade_Pilot - Thanks so much, gal!

JediMike2372 - Thank you :) I thought that once Mara returned, she would make an effort to make peace with everyone.

ginchy - I knew this would be hard for you gal - at least you know how it ends! ;) But you're right, too much has passed between them for it to be patched up quickly.

Jade_eyes - Thank you! Mara really used the time away to mature and grow - although the time was not enough to repair the relationship with Luke, at least at this stage - there was too much hurt for that.

Hazel - Thank you - I have been aiming for a bit of a bittersweet tone, so apologies for the lack of mush ;)

GreyItan - Wow, thank you so much - that means a lot to me [:D] Welcome to the boards and I am glad you are liking the fic!

bkbva - I've been away forever too! But am happy to be writing again.

Yes, ginchy speaks the truth - I have promised myself that this fic will be finished this year. An update this therefore imminent :)

10. JadeLotus Force Ghost

star 4

Chapter 30

?This open hearing of the Oon Tien Parole Board is now in session. ?

Luke snapped to attention, surveying the scene in front of him. He was seated in the upper gallery of the hearing room, among the general public and holopress who had come to witness the event. The room was full with onlookers ? after all, such a high profile criminal always drew a crowd. He glanced uncomfortably at the reporters and holographers who were clumped on his right side, and tugged on his false beard nervously. He had disguised his presence with the Force, not wishing to be recognised and hounded, but such camouflage always made him uneasy.

Luke looked down into the main arena at the man who had spoken a few moments previously, one of the five judges who were seated at a long table at the front of the room. A small group of secretaries and typists were clumped to one side, and in front of the judges was a small table where a man sat quietly, facing them down.

?First order of business,? the primary judge continued, ?parole hearing of Raith Nadon, convicted of terrorism, kidnapping, assault and five counts of murder.?

Luke?s fists clenched involuntarily at the sight of him. He had never before seen Raith Nadon in person, only heard a description of him from Mara, however, strangely, he did not seem to have the look of a terrorist and killer. Prison had obviously been hard on him, his face pale and emaciated, his eyes hollowed, his gaze steady, but somehow lifeless. Luke, however, refused to pity him.

Finally, his gaze rested on Mara, who was seated in the main gallery several rows from the front ? seats reserved for those involved in that day?s agenda. He wanted to reach out to her through the Force, to provide some comfort or support, but knew that it was not the right moment. As difficult as things were between them, he hadn?t been able to keep away, although he promised himself not to let Mara know that he had come. He wasn?t sure if she would take it the right way, perhaps thinking that he had come in case she decided to act drastically ? after all, the man who had murdered Talon was being considered for parole a mere four years after the crime. But, if he was honest with himself, part of his reason for remaining hidden was that he just didn?t feel up to a confrontation with her.

Besides, she had not come alone. He recognised the dark-skinned man seated at her side as Tanner, her second in command. They were talking quietly together, and Luke noticed he had placed a comforting hand on her shoulder. Briefly, Luke wondered if there was anything between them, but forcefully pushed that thought from his mind. It was certainly none of his business if there was.

It had been close to a year since their last meeting on her ship, when she had returned his father?s lightsaber and they had parted on good terms. There hadn?t been, however, any rekindling of their past friendship, although they crossed paths from time to time and were able to converse as known, if indifferent, acquaintances. In fact, their interaction almost mirrored the days after the Thrawn crisis, when they saw each other only seldom and even those meeting were anything but comfortable. But he lived in hope that they could eventually become friends again, once they had the time, at least.

He blamed that partly on his constant work at the Academy and her seemingly full schedule, juggling the integration of her trading business into the Inner Rim and acting as an advisor to the New Republic Department of Health?s campaign against addictive drugs. She?d received a fair bit of flak from the sludgenews for her support of that campaign, and of course all of the old stories and holos had resurfaced, but surely she had expected that, and Luke had been proud of her courage to withstand the bad press. From what Leia had told him, the campaign was working and Luke wasn?t surprised. There were so many who found the endless preaching from health officials tedious and unconvincing but to see someone like Mara, wh
  11. ginchy Force Ghost

star 4
    Tanner! Yikes!! Gods save us from people with good intentions! LOL eeeeeeeeeeeekkkkkkk. We'll have to see how this shakes out... [face_worried]

I LOVED Mara at the trial! That's our girl!! She spoke the truth and from her heart. Karrde would be proud of her.

And she and Luke are so close, yet so far... [face_worried]

I'm SO glad to have you back to posting girl!! [:D] I can't wait for more!!! Between 'Symbols' and this, well, ginchy feels like [face_dancing], yeah!
  12. Nyota's Heart Combos & Paragraphs Host

Game Host
    star 6
    yay for mara at the trial!

=D=

13. RedGold Force Ghost

star 4
    woot, update! :D

Seems like everyone is trying to move along with their lives, that's a good thing! :D
  14. Jade_Pilot Force Ghost

star 5
    Both you and RG are tearing it up, girl! So great to read your story again. I cant help but hope they make it back to each other.

*sigh*

Guess I'll have to wait and see! [face_batting]

Wonderful! =D=
  15. mara_jade_rox Jedi Master

star 2
    Oh, my.

I'm awful. I really am. I read this ALL. And I have thoroughly enjoyed it. Now just one last thing:

PM?

MJR:D
  16. Irish_Jedi_Jade Force Ghost

star 4
    Hmmmmm......[face_thinking] I think I need to go back and read this whole story again :p Unfortunately, I have to do homework now :_| But still, that was an EXCELLENT update (as was the last one!) and hmmmm....so....Luke is obviously being, well himself, but will what Tanner said be enough to push him back to the awesome love that we ALL know he wants!!!!!!?!??!?!?!?! I hope so!! Love it (as always!)...can I please request a PM so I don't fall behind again, if you're able? Thank you!!!

[face_good_luck] Irish
  17. LVB Force Ghost

star 1
    I am thrilled to see you have continued this. Your depiction of a drug addict is absolutely outstanding. My heart broke for both Mara and Luke throughout the entire journey. You certainly have a gift for writing :)
  18. JadeLotus Force Ghost

star 4
    ginchy - Yes, Tanner has good intentions, although they may have led him astray! I think Mara speaking at the Trial really meant that she had moved past everything.

Jade_eyes - Thank you!

RedGold - I think moving on is the key - getting past it all and starting afresh...

Jade_Pilot - Thanks! It's great to be back into it :D

mara_jade_rox - Thanks so much! Just to confirm - are you requesting the bonus chapter PM?

Irish_Jedi_Jade - Thank you! I think Tanner gave him something to think about - whether he will act on it remains to be seen...

LVB - Thanksvery much - I wanted to portray drug addition seriously, and just how hard it would be for Mara to not only overcome it, but to fix everything it caused her to damage.
  19. JadeLotus Force Ghost

star 4
    Chapter 31

Corellia, two years later

Leia glared at the Human League guard as he sneered at her, careful not to convey ay discomfort at her situation. It had almost become a routine ? he would bring her food, she would demand access to the communications equipment, and he would mock her, while saying she could ask all she liked, but she ?wasn?t getting access to nothing.? She wasn?t sure what irritated her more ? his unambiguous leer or his bad grammar.

?You can ask me again at dinner, if you like,? he added laughingly as he took away her breakfast tray and plopped her lunch down next to her. ?Oh, and you?ll be getting a new cell mate ? seems one of the other female prisoners had a fight with another and we gotta divide ?em up.? He laughed again. ?Hope that doesn?t put you out too much,? he added as he left the guest room which had become her cell, locking the door firmly behind him.

Knowing she needed to keep her strength up, Leia ate the rations which made up her lunch, turning her situation over in her mind, trying to think of a way to escape. But it seemed impossible ? the Human League of Corellia had already blown up a star and were threatening to do the same to another if the New Republic didn?t meet their demands. The ambassador was dead, and she had no idea where Han or her children were. She was alone.

The lock clicked again, and the Human League officer appeared, still grinning inanely. He shoved a woman into the room and slammed the door shut again. Leia stood, ready to greet her new companion, but shut her mouth immediately when the woman stepped into the light.

It was Mara Jade.

Leia was dumbstruck ? she had heard that Mara was on Corellia for the trade summit, but had never expected to see her, as Mar could have no doubt on Leia?s feelings towards her. True, it had been years since that awful business between Mara and Luke, but Leia Organa Solo didn?t forget and she didn?t forgive ? not when it came to her family.

?Madam Chief of State,? Mara said evenly, and nodded in acknowledgement.

?Mara Jade,? Leia said coolly. Mara didn?t reply, and crossed the room, as far away from Leia as possible, and seated herself on the floor, leaning against the wall. Leia sat back down and regarded the woman curiously.

?So you had a fight with your cellmate,? Leia observed.

Mara shrugged. ?It happens.?

Diplomacy had never really been Mara Jade?s style, Leia remembered ? but it was hers. ?I suppose it does,? she answered coolly, and focussed her attention out the window. She could simply ignore her and go back to her quiet contemplation.

But Mara didn?t seem to accept being ignored. ?Look, Leia,? she began, ?we have to find a way to escape. I know you don?t have any reason to trust me,? she continued. ?Especially since I?m the one that delivered that message cube-?

?I?m sorry?? Leia was confused. ?The message from Thracken Sal-Solo was delivered by a trader named Tanner, who merely intercepted it by coincidence.?

?A rather transparent ruse, I?m afraid, but the best I could come up with at the time,? Mara told her and looked at Leia appraisingly. ?Tanner works for me ? I thought you would have figured that out.?

Leia bristled at the implication. As if she had time to keep tabs on Mara Jade, and she certainly had no desire to watch the trade sheets ? that was Han?s area of interest...and Leia realised that Han probably had known who Tanner was, and had simply not told her. She supposed it was of no consequence, but would have thought her own husband would have mentioned it in passing.

Although, if she was honest with herself, the knowledge that Mara was involved would have raised her suspicions greatly. And for some reason, Han, she knew, still held out hope that Mara and Luke would work things out someday, Force only knew why. He thought Mara had been good for Luke, and had often said he had never known anyone who suited him as much as Mara had. Leia had always been quick to remind him of how deeply she ha
  20. LVB Force Ghost

star 1
    I just about fell out of my chair with excitement when I saw this was updated! I think the time jumps are a good way of speeding things up by slowing them down (if that makes sense...). Leia's reaction was perfect and you have shown just how well Mara has adapted to her life without spice.

Loved it, can't wait to read more! :)
  21. RedGold Force Ghost

star 4
    Somehow, I don't think either of them are as over this as they think they are, but this is a good first step. Yay!!
  22. Jade_Pilot Force Ghost

star 5
    UUUUUUUpdate!!!!! =D= ]

Perfect poignant moments!! *sigh*

Bravo! =D=
  23. Irish_Jedi_Jade Force Ghost

star 4
    That was sooooo awesome JadeLotus, as always!!!!!!!! I admit I was slightly confused at the beginning, with the time jump and all, but I LOVE how it worked out and...hmmm...what an interesting situation Leia is in, being stuck with Mara! I can only hope that good things will come out of that happenstance. And Luke's conversation was both enlightening and heartbreaking...*sigh* *yells into computer screen* "Lukeeee!!! MARA IS YOUR BALANCE!!!! WAKE UP!!!!"

:p

As always, I enjoyed it so much! Hope that more will come soon....I'm hooked (as always!) :D

Huggles,
    [face_good_luck] Irish
  24. ginchy Force Ghost

star 4
    JL, you're breaking my heart!! You're going down a path.... Wait, sorry. Had a Padme moment there. ;)

Anyway, this was a very heart-breaking update, but in there is a kernel of light for my ginchy-soul. I like Luke and Gaeriel's talk about Balance and how he needed to hear that. But Mara and Leia's talk is what stole the chapter here. I love how angry Leia is and I have to say that I love her comment to Mara that the universe doesn't revolve around her. Very much a Leia thing to say. But I'm beginning to wonder, too, like it seems Leia is, if maybe Luke and Mara aren't as over it as they're proclaiming.

Excellent update and soooooooooo glad to see it. Can't wait for another!! :D
  25. academygrad88 Force Ghost

star 5
    You are killing me here with all this angst. Everybody knows the cure to their ills is a lot of boot knocking. Luke knows Mara is the one for him. Come on, she just helped his sister escape. Lets get these two back together.

Great update. I remember when you started this fic. I am so happy to see you completing it. Now we just have to get a certain fanfic writer to finish The Taming of the Jedi and I will be happy. LOL!

I look forward to an update.
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade