main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Insider #80 to feature Mandalorian article, Yo Joe!

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The2ndRest-in-Peace, Nov 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Just a thought- Abel's mentioned we'll be seeing some of this stuff elaborate on soon...perhaps the Mandalorian-Padme (or Kamino) thing will be occuring in the new cartoon episodes?

2. Tam_Elgrin

Tam_Elgrin Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2004
    Or a ressurected HNN? [face_batting]

3. Jort

Jort Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 2, 2004
    I'd like it best in comic form I guess.

4. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    how about a whole Mandalorian Sourcebook? *dreaming*
    articles by Abel, art by Joe, maps, detailed information and data. short stories included as adventure ideas. and on the last pages a choose your own adventure called "How to become Lord Mandalore"

5. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    As a side note, a woman wearing Mandalorian armor appeared in Secrets of the Jedi. It's possible that she belonged to the Mandalorians/Death Watch.

TC

6. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    Well, I've thought about it for a while, and I've decided it's finally time for me to actually register here and post a little. There's a lot of catching up in this post, so bear with me.

TalonCard:

The article seems to imply that the planet Tholatin is near Mandalore, so I would suggest that it is part of the Mandalore sector, along with Gorgon, Mandala (?), and possibly Concord Dawn. Tholatin is on the galactic map near Kashyyyk, IIRC, so that would place it along the invasion path of the Nagai.

I'd be more inclined to put it in the Outer Rim, closer to the Unknown Regions; maybe near Endor and Rattatak. We know the Nagai were intruding in the sector shortly before Endor, which is before they began their full-fledged invasion of the galaxy (from Grand Admiral Grunger's entry in Abel's Grand Admirals article, SW Insider #66, page 47). It seems to me scouting missions and the like would have to occur in sectors pretty close to the Unknown Regions.

In fact, according to Gamer #9, there's apparently a Spar sector adjacent to the Moddell sector . . . coincidence?

Mavrick889:

And it clears up another question I'd always had...why was Fett hunting Jodo Kast if there was a chance that, under the helmet, he *was* Fenn Shysa or Tobbi Dala? If these two really were under his command during the Clone Wars, why would he go out of his way to kill them unless he didn't actually know them or had any personal contact with them?

Well, Fett was angry that someone was both cashing in on his name, as well as endangering his ploy of pretending to still be dead. I imagine he would have been disappointed to see that it was Shysa or Dala, but would have killed them regardless.

The2ndQuest:

Well, you know Boba was a real killer with the ladies with the ol' "actually, there was some growth acceleration..." line wink

And for that, now we must kill you. ;-)

Senator_Cilghal:

We also know Fenn allied himself with the Alliance of Free Planets [MC]. DId Mandalore Sector join the New Republic?

If so, not immediately. Grand Admiral Grunger still had a hold on the Mandalore sector until at least a year after Endor (when he was based at Gargon for the Son of Palpatine books), and probably longer.

Halagad:

Firstly, I'd just like to ask . . . What, nothing about Boba Fett and the Assasin Droids? ;-)

Just one more possibility to explain the glove?s indestructibility.

I liked your Sith talisman idea better. ;-) Surviving an exposion capable of blowing apart a structure the size of a moon is in the realm of alchemical magic, not regular production processes.

Were Crushgaunts supposed to be indestructible? That wasn't mentioned in the article.

Alright fanboys? it?s the Find the Obscure Reference game! If you got em, pull out your copies of WEG?s Heroes and Rogues and see if you can illuminate any more of the Dark Underlord?s history.

Had I known I'd be registering here so soon, I would've answered this here instead of in The Other Imperial Grand Admirals thread on the Official Site forums. ;-)

For those wondering, the Cleansing of the Nine Houses of the Old Sith Wars refers to the Jedi clean-up effort of the Sith in the Expanse region soon after the Great Sith War . . . If all goes well, this will have some light shed on it sometime fairly soon, along with the Dark Underlord.

Good to see the Tapani sector stuff getting some revisiting.

For instance, I had intended for Grand Admiral Josef Grunger to be an Alderaanian Marine at a point earlier in his career. This was ultimately cut from the GAs article, though his Alderaanian heritage made it into a Fact Files card, I believe.

Incidentally, does anyone have the FactFiles that this card wound up in? If so, what issue was it?

I wrote some solo articles as well as a handful with fan-favorite authors Rich Handley and Dan Wallace. Topics include the Sith, the Imperial Military, pirates, and the Dark Side Elite (Palpatine?s Dark Empire Dark Jedi), among others. We?re currently tr

7. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    I´d put it in the Outer Rim, too, but Endor is the wrong side of the galaxy. tholatin is near Kashyyyk. and The Sith Empire was over there at the other side as well, for the alliance between Mandalorians and Sith, and the Telos, Malachor and other stuff, Onderons occupation, Dxun, all that happened there, I think they are located somewhere there. Kuar is close to Coruscant as well.
    above Tund, or between the main hyperspace routes there. maybe next to the Cron Drift between Hutt Space and the Tion. That is my best assumption.
    And for the Spar sector, that doesn´t have to mean anything, though it would be cool to have a sector named after him, for his Mandalorians help.

I wonder why the sith space planets are located in between the 2 important hyperspace routes, and all around them is Republic space.. f.e. Telos very high above, nearly already behind them! And the Kotor2 talked about Unknown Regions Sith Empire is located where then? I think were in the NJO the Imperial Remnant is, or behind it, above Chiss Space. So I assume Mandalorian Sector to be wither somewhere (1) close or around Hutt space, near Tholatin, Kashyyk, Onderon, Hapes. Or (2) between the hyperspace routes like the former Sith worlds, south to boarder worlds like Malachor and Yavin. or (3) between Tion, Cron Driftand Hutt Space, that´s where Jabiim is located on the clone wars map, too. (4) they are closer to Coruscant, where Kuar is supposed to be but because of the Unknown Regions there so close to the core, they are close to the core, but still the small line boardering the UR is called Outer Rim, as the map indicates.
    Discuss which fits best, but near Modell Sector seems to far off. maybe Spar Sector was just one mission they had there for the confederacy and the sector was named after them.

About the discussion of Roon being the former Taung homeworld, I reread the Roon entry in Geonosis and the Outer Rim worlds. sounds pretty possible to me.

Questions: A MAndalorian Woman? has to be one of Spar´s new recruites, can you describe her and what she did? please,name, look, etc.

8. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    CeiranHarmony:

I´d put it in the Outer Rim, too, but Endor is the wrong side of the galaxy. tholatin is near Kashyyyk. and The Sith Empire was over there at the other side as well, for the alliance between Mandalorians and Sith, and the Telos, Malachor and other stuff, Onderons occupation, Dxun, all that happened there, I think they are located somewhere there. Kuar is close to Coruscant as well.
    above Tund, or between the main hyperspace routes there. maybe next to the Cron Drift between Hutt Space and the Tion. That is my best assumption.

Grr, you're right. I was thinking that Endor was one of the first places hit by the Nagai, which made me pick that side of the galaxy, but it makes more sense regarding the early Mandalorian history to put it on the other side.

Still, I'd think it would be best to keep it near the modern Unknown Regions. Perhaps near Generis or Adumar?

And for the Spar sector, that doesn´t have to mean anything, though it would be cool to have a sector named after him, for his Mandalorians help.

I didn't think it would probably mean anything, but when I was already looking toward Endor, and saw Spar sitting there . . . well, I had trouble avoiding jumping to that conlusion. ;-)

I wonder why the sith space planets are located in between the 2 important hyperspace routes, and all around them is Republic space.. f.e. Telos very high above, nearly already behind them! And the Kotor2 talked about Unknown Regions Sith Empire is located where then? I think were in the NJO the Imperial Remnant is, or behind it, above Chiss Space. So I assume Mandalorian Sector to be wither somewhere (1) close or around Hutt space, near Tholatin, Kashyyk, Onderon, Hapes. Or (2) between the hyperspace routes like the former Sith worlds, south to boarder worlds like Malachor and Yavin. or (3) between Tion, Cron Driftand Hutt Space, that´s where Jabiim is located on the clone wars map, too. (4) they are closer to Coruscant, where Kuar is supposed to be but because of the Unknown Regions there so close to the core, they are close to the core, but still the small line boardering the UR is called Outer Rim, as the map indicates.

As to your Sith question, during the KOTOR era, Known Space was largely contained within The Slice, the area of space between the Perlemian Trade Route and Corellian Run, and only reached out to the Mid Rim (called the "Galactic Frontier" back then). Most everything else was Wild Space or Unknown Regions - the Hydian Way wouldn't be forged for another milennium.

The other suggested locations could work, if we can explain why the Nagai would be marauding there before marauding elsewhere.

Discuss which fits best, but near Modell Sector seems to far off. maybe Spar Sector was just one mission they had there for the confederacy and the sector was named after them.

That could be a reasonable explanation, if someone did want to connect the two.

9. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    :) near Adumar would be a great idea! close to Kuar and every other part of the galaxy of the old times.

your hydian way explanation sounds very good, thx! but on the map I have from navcomputer.com, based on the official maps, they placed Telos on the hydian way deep into outer rim, behind the sith worlds like korriban and yavin IV. if the Old Republic had Telos by the time of Kotor, which it does, the hydian way has to be known by then. seems odd, I´d like it more to re-place telos closer to the midrim.

10. TalonCard

Jan 31, 2001
    >Grr, you're right. I was thinking that Endor was one of the first places hit by the Nagai, which made me pick that side of the galaxy, but it makes more sense regarding the early Mandalorian history to put it on the other side. <

Yep. Also, Endor was not one of the first places hit by the Nagai--they started showing up in the Mandalore Sector first, according to the Grand Admirals article, and then on other planets like Kashyyyk... The only reason they hit Endor is because the Alliance was based there; it wasn't necessarily in their invasion path.

>Still, I'd think it would be best to keep it near the modern Unknown Regions. Perhaps near Generis or Adumar?<

Actually, I disagree, and suggest that it should be near known planets like Kashyyyk and Tholatin. The Mandalorians have been galactic conquerors for millennia; I don't think Mandalore would be so close to uncharted territory. Areas of space around the sector would be well known by the time of the movies.

>If so, not immediately. Grand Admiral Grunger still had a hold on the Mandalore sector until at least a year after Endor (when he was based at Gargon for the Son of Palpatine books), and probably longer. <

Although Grunger may have a hold on Gargon, that doesn't mean that Mandalore was still under his control. He may have left the planet alone after he set off on the warlord path.

>I liked your Sith talisman idea better. ;-) Surviving an exposion capable of blowing apart a structure the size of a moon is in the realm of alchemical magic, not regular production processes.<

*Smiles in anticipation* The two ideas are not mutually exclusive, you know. ;)

TC

11. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    CeiranHarmony:

your hydian way explanation sounds very good, thx! but on the map I have from navcomputer.com, based on the official maps, they placed Telos on the hydian way deep into outer rim, behind the sith worlds like korriban and yavin IV. if the Old Republic had Telos by the time of Kotor, which it does, the hydian way has to be known by then. seems odd, I´d like it more to re-place telos closer to the midrim.

Like I said, it was *largely* defined by The Slice. There were outliers that the Old Republic knew about, and perhaps even had routes to (for instance, the Gordian Reach used to reach out from the Perlemian to the planet Junction, before galactic drift wiped it out). Also, KOTOR occurs after the Tales of the Jedi comics, by which point I think the Republic has a fairly good idea of the expanses of Sith space.

Either way, we can know for sure that the Hydian wasn't forged yet; SWAJ#5, page 255 establishes that Freia Kallea single-handedly forged the route 3,000 years before the Battle of Yavin. Getting to Telos at the time must have been through a different route.

Moving Telos coreward probably wouldn't be a bad idea, though in general I'm adverse to moving planets around on the map - and they've been doing that too much lately as it is.

TalonCard:

Yep. Also, Endor was not one of the first places hit by the Nagai--they started showing up in the Mandalore Sector first, according to the Grand Admirals article, and then on other planets like Kashyyyk... The only reason they hit Endor is because the Alliance was based there; it wasn't necessarily in their invasion path.

Gotcha. Alas, my knowledge of the Marvel series is painfully thin.

Still, if we put the Mandalore sector within The Slice, we need to explain why they'd suddenly appear in the middle of the known galaxy without harassing anywhere else first. If we can do that, then near Tholatin is probably a pretty good placement.

Actually, I disagree, and suggest that it should be near known planets like Kashyyyk and Tholatin. The Mandalorians have been galactic conquerors for millennia; I don't think Mandalore would be so close to uncharted territory. Areas of space around the sector would be well known by the time of the movies.

True, but then, Muunilinst has been backing the Republic credit for quite a while, and it's way out on the edge. It's not a perfect placement, but it's not without precedent.

Although Grunger may have a hold on Gargon, that doesn't mean that Mandalore was still under his control. He may have left the planet alone after he set off on the warlord path.

Well, according to The Glove of Darth Vader, one year after Endor he was still based on that planet, as was his fleet of 30 Star Destroyers.

*Smiles in anticipation* The two ideas are not mutually exclusive, you know. wink

You have a very good point. :)

Oh, and when I asked this question:

Were Crushgaunts supposed to be indestructible? That wasn't mentioned in the article.

I hadn't had enough sense to connect the Mandalorian Iron portion of the article with the Crushgaunts. That is to say, I was a twit. ;-)

12. Halagad_Ventor

Halagad_Ventor Star Wars Author - SWRPG Designer star 4 VIP

Jul 3, 2001
    CeiranHarmony wrote:
    ?he looks like the guy that sells me turkish "döner" food in the city, lol

Help, me Boba Fett is hunting me undercover!?

Mmm? döners. I haven?t made it out to Turkey, but Berlin had some of the tastiest döners I?ve ever had.

?Or a ressurected HNN? ?

You?ll have to wrangle that answer out of Joe. :)

Tam_Elgrin wrote:
    ?Just picked up Star Wars #55 - the official UK magazine - and they're promising us the Mando article next time. Good stuff ?

Great news, Tam! I know folks overseas don?t always get the Insider stuff in their respective official Star Wars publications in a timely manner, if at all. Hopefully the official UK mag will make it easier for folks to get a hold of the history of the Mandalorians.

?Ba-da-la-da-da-la Boba
    He's the bounty hunter after Han
    Under that armor, he's got nothing on?

Again, I must point out the Mandalorian-Scottish connection. ;)

JodoKast3 wrote:
    ?Do you plan on writing any more Jodo Kast history? And would there be any way you could expand on your explanation of Jodo, Zardra, and Puggles Trod`s botched hunt??

I definitely have a couple of ideas for Jodo I?d like to try to work into the canon. With any luck, he?ll have a reference in at least one more of my projects this year.

As for the story of the Dura-Khan job, this may or may not be elaborated on officially in the future. I keep all my old work, and definitely have a nostalgic streak.

QuentinGeorge wrote:
    ?A little note on Mandalorians - the outfit they wear during the movie era, we know they were wearing that as early as the Battle of Ruusan (1000 BBY), as the first pages of Jedi vs. Sith show scavengers picking up such a piece of armour from the dirt.?

Good catch, QG. The Mando Mercs at that time wore a mish-mash of armors from various eras.

Take care,
    Abel

13. TalonCard

Jan 31, 2001
    >Well, according to The Glove of Darth Vader, one year after Endor he was still based on that planet, as was his fleet of 30 Star Destroyers.<

I know; I meant that he may have left the planet Mandalore alone, not Gargon.

TC

14. TalonCard

Jan 31, 2001
    >Who knows TC. If you really want to see Jar Jar take on the Mandos, or any other Star Wars idea you have, you can do what I did: pay your dues, be very persistent, look for the opportunity, pitch your idea, and write it. <

Pay my dues, huh? In the other fields I want to go into, "paying your dues"="unpaid internship".

So what do I have to do? Sharpen Joe Corroney's pencils? Feed Dan Wallace's cats? Mow Jason Fry's lawn? Deliver donuts to the Pena place? Maybe I could try skipping ahead to being persistent. :D ;)

TC

15. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    Just skip ahead to the LFL implant. Does it hurt? How does it work? Who are your controllers? :p

This thread seems to be losing momentum. Hopefully the "as-of-yet-unknown-to-fans future article" in the works will generate as much discussion. ;)

16. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    the LFL implant seems to be very weird to me.

some beings that have it behave like R2D2: they rule, they are cool, and they kept their own way of doing things, but they just can´t talk about the secrets of the universe. (this category I´d put abel into, though he has lots of secrets to share with us^^)

and the other category is C3PO like people: they talk so much you want them to stop, not even memory wipes helping to overcome that. (someone ever encountered rick mccallum and steve sansweet together at a convention? I did and well, it was fun! they talked about GLs secrets like their implant was malfunctioning, only to stop when needing to breath or order a drink. but sometimes the implant hit them very hard and they know how to keep talking and change the topic without the fans even realising it, because it is still interesting, just not the answer to the question!)

lol

17. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    They act like they don't have one because they have outdated units. Their older models are not properly programmed like the newer ones. Of course, some LFL people are not even aware of their implants. ;)

I think of them as human restraining bolts. :p

18. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    lol, actually the two together (Rick and Steve) have fun to spoil the fans and or even mis-spoil them to get an even greater impact of amazement when they see GLs works.

19. Halagad_Ventor

Halagad_Ventor Star Wars Author - SWRPG Designer star 4 VIP

Jul 3, 2001
    Hey folks. Deadlines have been creeping up and have been eating up most of my message board time. The tradeoff though is that I hope you guys enjoy the pieces coming up in the coming months.

Ris_jSarek wrote:
    ?Well, I've thought about it for a while, and I've decided it's finally time for me to actually register here and post a little.?

Welcome jSarek! Glad to see you?ve made it all the way from the sw.com boards. :)

I must admit, I?ve always been fairly handicap when it comes to GFFA geography and tend to rely on Dan Wallace and Jason Fry to steer me clear of problems. One of them would be better suited to address the specific placement of Mandalore Sector on the galactic map. I?ll see if I can pull one of em back in here.

?In fact, according to Gamer #9, there's apparently a Spar sector adjacent to the Moddell sector . . . coincidence??

That word doesn?t tend to be in the fanboy vocabulary.

?Well, Fett was angry that someone was both cashing in on his name, as well as endangering his ploy of pretending to still be dead. I imagine he would have been disappointed to see that it was Shysa or Dala, but would have killed them regardless.?

Right on the nose.

?Firstly, I'd just like to ask . . . What, nothing about Boba Fett and the Assasin Droids? ;-)?

I thought long and hard about this one?. Actually, not very long but hard enough. :) While Galaxy Guide 9 is one of my favorite of WEG?s Star Wars books (the Dark Empire, Tales of the Jedi, Gamemaster Screen for Second Edition, and Truce at Bakura sourcebooks rounding out the favs), I just couldn?t fit the Boba Fett and the Assassin Droids ref very easily into the Mando piece. The decision to leave it out was painful. :p

?Were Crushgaunts supposed to be indestructible? That wasn't mentioned in the article.?

That?s the gist. The crushgaunts were made of micronized Mandalorian iron, which is nearly indestructible.

?Had I known I'd be registering here so soon, I would've answered this here instead of in The Other Imperial Grand Admirals thread on the Official Site forums. ;-)?

It?s true. jSarek received an honorary MOO for pointing out the Bimm bard?s line about Dark Underlord in Heroes and Rogues.

?Incidentally, does anyone have the FactFiles that this card wound up in? If so, what issue was it??

I?m not sure how DeAgostini used that information. I believe it was either used for a Tycho Celchu or Winter card.

?I'm afraid you and Joe might have to get used to the idea that the picture is now associated with Boba, instead of Spar. :-\?

These things happen. If someone decides to show Fett unmasked elsewhere in the EU without a helmet looking like the misplaced Spar pic, I have no problem going along with it. Maybe when the article is reprinted for the Insider?s UK equivalent they?ll get the layout right.

Thanks for stopping by!

Take care,
    Abel

20. JodoKast3

JodoKast3 Jedi Youngling

Jan 26, 2005
    Abel...

Can`t wait to see what ya got planned!!!!!

JK3

21. TalonCard

Jan 31, 2001
    What's this about Boba and the assassin droids?

TC

22. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    Halagad Ventor:

Hey folks. Deadlines have been creeping up and have been eating up most of my message board time. The tradeoff though is that I hope you guys enjoy the pieces coming up in the coming months.

Sounds like we're getting the better end of this bargain. ;-)

Welcome jSarek! Glad to see you?ve made it all the way from the sw.com boards.

Well, I tried to avoid coming here (I'm following way too many message boards for my health as it is), but the siren song of mucho Mandalorian mental mastication made me make my move. ;-)

I must admit, I?ve always been fairly handicap when it comes to GFFA geography and tend to rely on Dan Wallace and Jason Fry to steer me clear of problems. One of them would be better suited to address the specific placement of Mandalore Sector on the galactic map. I?ll see if I can pull one of em back in here.

Well, I would typically advise you to improve your Star Wars cartography knowledge (it's nutritious and delicious! Four out of five doctors recommend a healthy dose of Star Wars cartography daily!), but then you'd be less inclined to bring other luminaries into the thread, so I won't. ;-)

That word doesn?t tend to be in the fanboy vocabulary.

I've noticed. ;-) Though, now that my Moddell sector hypothesis has been shredded to confetti, it might very well be coincidence.

I thought long and hard about this one?. Actually, not very long but hard enough. happy While Galaxy Guide 9 is one of my favorite of WEG?s Star Wars books (the Dark Empire, Tales of the Jedi, Gamemaster Screen for Second Edition, and Truce at Bakura sourcebooks rounding out the favs), I just couldn?t fit the Boba Fett and the Assassin Droids ref very easily into the Mando piece. The decision to leave it out was painful. tongue

All of those sourcebooks are good stuff, but TABSB rocks! From having an offhanded mention to the coolest-named ISD ever (the Unrepentant), to its excellent, comprehensive coverage of what happened right after Endor, to Kathy Tyers's chapter on alien teeth, this thing is Solid Gold (tm).

And I didn't mention the best part - the deposition of General Solo after the theft of the ISD Accuser. That is some of the best, funniest, and most in-character Star Wars writing ever put into print. Hyperspace should reprint that just so everyone who's become a SW fan since the WEG era can read it.

Anyway, I digress. I totally understand not being able to fit Boba Fett and the Assassin Droids in the article, though I do harbor a belief that the real Fett MUST be a fan of the band . . . otherwise, he'd have killed them all LONG before they got to their second single. Besides, there's a certain beauty to the galaxy's original super-talented bounty hunter being a fan of the galaxy's original talent-free band. ;-)

In fact, I'll just bet that the picture on page 75 of Heroes and Rogues is a pretty good depiction of Fett on his off hours. :)

That?s the gist. The crushgaunts were made of micronized Mandalorian iron, which is nearly indestructible.

Yeah, I reread the section on Mandalorian Iron and struck myself repeatedly for not noticing that. Now my scars are all healing, but my heart never will.

I?m not sure how DeAgostini used that information. I believe it was either used for a Tycho Celchu or Winter card.

Cool. I wish they'd sell these things in the States; shipping alone makes these things pretty expensive on eBay, before their rarity and usefulness drive the price up to prohibitive.

Thanks for stopping by!

It has been my pleasure, sir! :)

TalonCard:

What's this about Boba and the assassin droids?

A I'm sure you guessed from my response to Halagad, "Boba Fett and the Assassin Droids" is a band from Galaxy Guide 9: Fragments From the Rim. They're loud, talentless, have a growing cult following, and are inexplicably beloved by several alien species. Their four singles released to date are "IG-88, Where R U?", "Blow 'em All Away" (Banned by COMPNOR's Imperial Board of Culture

23. Senator_Cilghal

Senator_Cilghal Jedi Master star 5

Jul 19, 2003
    I've read the Insider article, and there is nothing to indicte Mandalore is near Tholatin, any more than saying it is near Gyndine.

Mandalore is probably near Concord Dawn, which we KNOW for a FACT is in the Outer Rim. Where in there, we don't know.

24. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    yep cilghal, right, I always wondered how they came to say it is near tholatin. only thing that made me assume it could be possible is that the map has plenty of clear space next to it.

25. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003

And when Abel pulls....

I'd love to know what Dan or Cartographer would have to say about this -- speaking for myself, I can't find any good hints about a location for Mandalore. (True confessions: I'm shaky on KOTOR lore.) But I'll try. Here goes nothin'....

OK, the Mandalorians' own history makes it hazardous to guess based on proximity to conquered species or the Sith Empire, so let's leave those clues out ... at least for now. I agree Mandalore is in the Outer Rim (based largely on Insider #66) and would argue, based on how long Mandalorians have been tied up with galactic affairs, that it's not on the fringes of the galaxy but somewhere closer in, probably in or not too far from the Slice (same rationale) and possibly near but not on one of the ancient major trade routes. (Seems like traders would avoid Mandalore, though trade routes do move around over time, disappear, etc.)

This gets us into the even-riskier territory of "feel" and finding geographic dogs that don't bark, if you will. If Mandalore were located between Hutt Space and the Tion, seems like those two power blocs would play more of a role in its history. Ditto, though to a lesser extent, if Mandalore were between Hutt Space and Tatooine. It's a bit of a reach, but one could argue it's less likely to be in those two reaches of the Slice. Which basically puts it out of the Slice, though I doubt too far out.

If we accept all that (and that's a lot of "all that" to accept), we're down to two areas:

1. In the ORT between Bpfassh and Tatooine
    2. In the ORT, fairly close to the MR border, between the Perlemian and the Hydian Way.

The second one feels better to me: It's simultaneously not far from the Sith Worlds, the main swath of the Unknown Regions and the Vong invasion route, all of which fit Mandalorian history at quite different points.

If I were writing something that demanded a placement, I'd put it north of Rhen Var and south of Ord Radama. But that's totally unofficial, awfully speculative, and certainly has no more claim to be right than a lot of the good guesses put forth already.

Other than that, it's rock-solid. ;)

Jace

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.