main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Insider #80 to feature Mandalorian article, Yo Joe!

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The2ndRest-in-Peace, Nov 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    I think Jaing lived a few thousand years later. I believe this war is a NEW SITH WAR conflict.

Perhaps there were many different Sith Wars in the New Sith Wars, and hte Mandalorians vs the Sith was one of em.

2. Halagad_Ventor

Halagad_Ventor Star Wars Author - SWRPG Designer star 4 VIP

Jul 3, 2001
    DarthMane2 wrote:
    ?So Master Jaing was the Mandalorian who gathered more Mandalore clans, in order to face the Sith. Do I assume correctly Abel?

However a little confusion. When does this all take place??

If you can hold off a bit longer Nuke, say, I don?t know, April something, who Master Jaing is should become much clearer. :)

Take care,
    Abel

3. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003
    Well the story "Prototype" in Star Wars visionaries is about Dirge and his mentor getting Jaings armor. At least I think that's what it's aboutl. From what I gather, Jaing is gather clans to face the Sith.

Though the time frame is confusing me. Is Jaing supposed to be the Mandalore that Dirge killed? If so then that takes place 100 years before TPM. However what Sith would Jaing want to face, unless Jaing was a Jedi or something.

Or, this takes place during the New Sith Wars.

4. jedimasterED

jedimasterED Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 10, 1999
    "...unless Jaing was a Jedi or something..."
    Now there's an interesting idea! A Mandalorian Jedi!

5. Reverend_Tegoth

Reverend_Tegoth Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 22, 2005
    Yay! Only a month 'til more Mandalorian goodness. I'm also highly anticipating the next Insider to see the comments on the article in #80, and I can't wait for your Dark Forces stuff, Mr. Pena.

To go back to the mini-Jaster debate for a moment -

Just cracked open my copy of Open Seasons... Lo and behold, as another user already pointed out it is not the narration that says that Jaster only cared about credits, but Dooku himself. So that comment is in no way canon (if every opinion uttered by a Sith Lord were canon we'd be in trouble) since Dooku can't actually know what was going on in Jaster's head, but rather it's his interpretation or best guess.

Since the article in #80 directly contradicts Dooku's opinion that all Jaster cared about were credits, he was obviously wrong about Jaster's motivations. This makes sense considering the fact that, as I have said, if all Jaster cared about was money, why would he bother re-untiting the clans at all?

So once again, another "fact" about Jaster discredited as nothing more then fanspank, and a supposed continuity error that when examined, doesn't exist at all.

EDITED TO ADD:

Just transcribed this bit of dialogue from Canderous on Dantooine in KOTOR:

"For many this was not enough. While the rest of us were sent into exile on the Outer Rim, they tried to relive the old days - raiding worlds. They're nothing more then bandits now."

This continues to support the notion that it isn't the act of taking credits to make a living that is dishonorable, it's fighting battles against unworthy opponents. The above quote clearly shows that Canderous held Mandalorians that "raided and pillaged" unworthy opponents in as much disdain as Mandalorians Mercs that attacked unworthy opponents.

And as I have yet to see any evidence presented to the contrary, it seems that as long as a Mandalorian chooses their battles and makes sure that are a worthy challenge they are considered honorable - As Jaster has been described as a deeply pious man that brought honor back to the Mandalorians in the Insider article he would have no doubt only have engaged in honorable battles.

Conclusion: Canderous Ordo and the Mandalorians of his time would have had no problem with Jaster and Jango's Mandalorians. They would have hated people like Death Watch who only cared about credits and who were, to quote Canderous himself, "nothing more then bandits" raiding helpless worlds.

If anyone can present any direct quotes from KOTOR I or II, or any other evidence, to contradict this, I welcome it :).

6. QuentinGeorge

QuentinGeorge Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 12, 2003
    Since the article in #80 directly contradicts Dooku's opinion that all Jaster cared about were credits, he was obviously wrong about Jaster's motivations. This makes sense considering the fact that, as I have said, if all Jaster cared about was money, why would he bother re-untiting the clans at all?

So once again, another "fact" about Jaster discredited as nothing more then fanspank, and a supposed continuity error that when examined, doesn't exist at all.

Aye. In fact the only time that Jaster mentions "credits" is when he says the mission will be "easy credits".

However, this is a statement of his estimation of the mission's difficulty, not a

"I love money above all else!" type shout.

:)

7. Jort

Jort Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 2, 2004
    If this was 100 BBY then how can there be a new Sith War? The Sith were believed extinct at this time. The New Sith War took place between 2000 and 1000 BBY.

8. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    It's "New Sith Wars," but yes, at the moment, there are no records of any major Sithish conflict that proximate to the films. After Ruusan, it was the scarce whisper that leaked out concerning the order, but very little (if any) personal contact.

So Durge's involvement in that conflict (and his co-opting Jaing's armor) still tracks.

9. Reverend_Tegoth

Reverend_Tegoth Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 22, 2005
    For about three seconds there was a thread up on these boards from someone proclaiming they had Insider #81.

I would be incredibly appreciative if that person, or anyone else that has their copy, would post any letters from the letters page talking about the Mando article in #80 along with the names of the people who wrote the letters.

Major Thankees ahead of time!

EDIT: WHOOPS! MY mistake, that thread was in the 3SA. Anyway, it looks like they chose my letter to print in #81! WOOT!

When you see the letter written by Rhian Rutherford - that would be me :).

10. Halagad_Ventor

Jul 3, 2001
    Jort wrote:
    ?If this was 100 BBY then how can there be a new Sith War? The Sith were believed extinct at this time. The New Sith War took place between 2000 and 1000 BBY.?

The Visionaries story does not take place during the New Sith Wars.

Reverend_Tegoth wrote:
    ?I'm also highly anticipating the next Insider to see the comments on the article in #80, and I can't wait for your Dark Forces stuff, Mr. Pena.?

I just finished up the 4th part of the DF project today. Shouldn?t be too much longer before WOTC starts postin? em.

?Anyway, it looks like they chose my letter to print in #81! WOOT! When you see the letter written by Rhian Rutherford - that would be me .?

Congratulations Reverend! Your initial post here was memorable, so I?m not all that surprised. :)

Thanks again to everyone that took time out of their busy schedules to write in and let Insider know how much you enjoyed the work Joe Corroney and I did. You guys really helped us make a great impression with the folks at Lucasfilm. I hope you enjoy the stuff each of us has planned in the coming months.

Take care,
    Abel

11. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003
    Jaing must be the Mandalore that Durge killed. However this happens 100 years before TPM. Thus why is Jaing rallying Mandalorians against Sith, when very few know they still exist.

What does Jaing know that others don't, and how does he know it?

12. Endaeon

Endaeon Jedi Youngling

Oct 25, 2004
    Hard to believe that an armored guy from the Original Trilogy spawned a race that now has more backstory and Galaxy involvement than the Jedi.
    Congrats to everyone that made that possible.

Now, back on topic. Is it Confirmed that Durge killed Jaing? I mean what suggest its him so badly (I don't own a copy of Visionaries)

13. Halagad_Ventor

Jul 3, 2001
    Endaeon wrote:
    ?Hard to believe that an armored guy from the Original Trilogy spawned a race that now has more backstory and Galaxy involvement than the Jedi.
    Congrats to everyone that made that possible.?

Indeed. Never underestimate the power of the Fett. ;)

Best,
    Abel

14. Syntax

Syntax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 1, 2001
    I figured I'd bump this thread, considering the other "Mandalorians" thread that got posted earlier today.

I've only ready through a few pages of this thread, but I'll just say that while the behavior of some posters in this thread doesn't surprise me in the slightest, it still blows my mind.

15. Kreuzader

Kreuzader Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 23, 2002
    Just posting to say thanks for the awesome article Abel; features like that are why I subscribe to Insider!

16. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Don't worry Syntax- it calms down after awhile, then fades in and out in waves ;)

Mane is an ocean unto himself ;)

17. Syntax

Syntax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 1, 2001
    Hah, I see you deduced who I was referring to.

I'll go back and re-read the thread in its entirety later. I'm actually re-watching 'A New Hope' on DVD right now, and then I'm going to read through the Star Wars: Jedi comic one-shots again.

18. Halagad_Ventor

Jul 3, 2001
    Kreuzader wrote:
    ?Just posting to say thanks for the awesome article Abel; features like that are why I subscribe to Insider!?

Thanks Kreuzader. Appreciation like yours is why I keep writing for them! :p Look for an article on the Expanded Universe in the Insider probably around Summer.

In the meantime, if you have Hyperspace you can also check out an article I wrote for the online supplement to Insider #81 called Droids, Technology and the Force. A feature on the Dark Forces video game saga should also be hitting the Wizards of the Coast website very soon. Enjoy!

Best,
    Abel

19. Xzylon

Xzylon Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 7, 2004
    just read Visionaries today. Jain isn't human, but not Taung-Mandalorian either, some dog-faced alien with bantha horns. Not sure what he is. But he left the Mandalorians b/c they had no honor and took Durge as his apprentice. Interesting.

20. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    Jaing was human, only his mask looked alien.

21. Xzylon

Xzylon Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 7, 2004
    are you sure?

22. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    well, even Durge looked human and nothing like the beast he later became in that piece. so I could be wrong, but from my point of view, and I have the comic before me, it could be both, human or alien.

I assume he is not human, but nearhuman maybe. genetically altered. the banthaskull like horns seem to be included into his face in one shot. so I can´t be sure, but he looks like an experiment gone wrong.

maybe Dr. Evazans grandgrandgrandgrandgrandgrandfater?

23. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Just a heads-up to the UK folks that Abel's Mandalorian article is in the May issue of the UK Star Wars Magazine. Just got mine today (subscription) so it should be in the shops shortly....

24. Fist_of_Mandalore

Fist_of_Mandalore Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 31, 2005
    Oh, so the Mandalorian Skull emblem is based on Master Jaing's helmet? Interesting.

25. Halagad_Ventor

Jul 3, 2001
    Thanks for the heads up LAJ_FETT. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.