main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Insider #80 to feature Mandalorian article, Yo Joe!

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The2ndRest-in-Peace, Nov 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    In response to earlier discussions of the Mandalorian invasion route to Coruscant, and concerns about the status of the Daragon Trail, the newest Planet Hoppers has this juicy tidbit:

"As a result, a popular smuggling run (known among spacers as the Carbonite Run) travels from Empress Teta past Primus Goluud (through part of the hyperspace lane formerly known as the Daragon Trail) and then to the planet Vulpter."

2. Halagad_Ventor

Halagad_Ventor Star Wars Author - SWRPG Designer star 4 VIP

Jul 3, 2001
    Nice catch jSarek! That could definitely be useful in the future.

Take care,
    Abel

3. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    Got my chance to read the visionaries story.

So this much be how it goes down.

Master Jaing is the Mandalorian trainer the symbol is taken after. He is also a Mandalorian who left the clans because he felt they had lost their honor. Ung Kusp is the Mandalore of the time is seems, and the Mandalore Durge kills. Then aftewards Durge gets his ass beat, that causes him to go sleep for 100 years.

Only needed question.

What's the deal with the war between the Mandalorians and the Sith?

4. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    the sith wars are the new sith wars, that´s how they got the mandalorians involved against the sith. because if it is after the new sith wars it would make no sense anymore. would it? sith are no more then. and durge slept only 100 years? I thought he slept many hundres of more years??? he awakened during the clone wars, so.. 1000 years minimum

5. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003
    Databank says 100, and Abel said that the Visionaries story doesn't deal with the New Sith Wars. I asked him about it sometime ago, I believe it's post war.

6. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    There's this bit from the "Planet Hoppers" article:

Though some areas full of wildlife still exist on Empress Teta, the majority of the world is taken up by its urban sprawl, which has grown from the one-time capital city of Cinnagar to encompass much of the planet's main continents. In fact, the city is so large that some citizens of the galaxy continue to call the entire planet by this name, leading to some confusion over the years. [...]

What Leto doesn't get:

When did Koros become known simply as "Empress Teta," since in both Tom Veitch's Dark Empire endnotes and in the TOTJ series proper, it's clearly designated "Koros"? Don't recall this ever getting brought up in any of the previous stories.

It's interesting that the world has become virtually another half-Taris -- and is fast on its way to becoming the next Coruscant -- but I found that above passage slightly...discombobulating...owing to Veitch's clear nomenclatural-delineation (this was obvious even in Golden Age of the Sith #1, as I recently recall).

On another note, I'd long been wondering why, exactly, there'd been no mention of Empress Teta on either sides of the Clone Wars up to now (owing to its substantial carbonite resources), which has now been rectified. Its Separatist leanings are no surprise, since the Mining Guild plays such a significant role even in the Dark Lords of the Sith mini-series, and it makes sense for that relationship to continue centuries and millennia hence.

7. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    I think one of Luceno's New Jedi Order books called it the Empress Teta system...

TC

8. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003
    It's always been known as the Empress Teta system

9. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    It's this sudden, new redesignation of the capital world (not the system) that has Leto ever so slightly agog.

10. BOOSTERERRANT

BOOSTERERRANT Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2000
    The Empress Teta system has been around long before this...wasn't it involved in the fate of Ulic Qel-Droma? Maybe I'm wrong...

11. ThrawnTheInfallable

ThrawnTheInfallable Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 28, 2003
    Yeah. I believe it was called the Empress Teta system in those stories.

12. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    hey Mane, checked the data on Durge, and you were right, he slept 100 years. though, I still believe the artist thought of the New Sith Wars when doing the story. It is weird.. how to explain a war against the sith featuring the mandalorians 100 years before TPM? especially since the sith are only 2 and seemed to be extinct for a millennium. the´d have to fight either Palpatines Master or that Masters Master. And I don´t see, why they should, at that times, nobody knows about the sith.

Abel, any explanation for this?

13. Fist_of_Mandalore

Fist_of_Mandalore Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 31, 2005
    Databank typo maybe?

14. ThrawnTheInfallable

Jan 28, 2003
    The war with the Sith I think, started before he went to sleep. Durge was born 2,000 years before ANH, but went into hibernation a 100 years before AotC.

15. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    that implys the story takes place during the New Sith Wars... then Durge hunts and kills Ung Kusp either during or shortly after the New Sith Wars.. long hunt.. afterwards he is captured alive by mandalorians, maybe several years or decades later? and then tortured for several hundreds of years until he finally falls asleep 100 years before TPM? would work, but the Mandalorians as torturing badasses, hehe.. he must´ve hurt them very badly when hunting the Mandalore, killing to get through to him. or did Durge just challenge the mandalore? the mandalore wouldn´t be able to say no, would he? if he did that he´d be a bad bad mandalore.

16. Halagad_Ventor

Jul 3, 2001
    CeiranHarmony wrote:
    "It is weird.. how to explain a war against the sith featuring the mandalorians 100 years before TPM? especially since the sith are only 2 and seemed to be extinct for a millennium. the´d have to fight either Palpatines Master or that Masters Master. And I don´t see, why they should, at that times, nobody knows about the sith.

Abel, any explanation for this?"

All can now be revealed!

Well, not really. Here's the deal.

When I wrote that the Mandalorians participated in the New Sith Wars, I was foreshadowing a future project of my own, not referencing the Visionaries story Prototypes. Ironically, because I was asked to make some last minute references to Prototypes, I stuck the refs in where they seemed to make the most sense thematically, if not necessarily chronologically. That means Master Jaing and Mandalore Ung Kusp got references that *seem* to imply they were around much earlier than 100 years before the Clone Wars (i.e. when Durge gets put into hibernation), simply because of their proximity to subject matter thousands of years pre-A New Hope.

Admittedly, the reference to a war between the Sith and Mandalorians at the end of Prototypes is a bit confusing for me too, especially given the secrecy of the Sith Order at this time. But the solution proposed here seems an elegant one: it's possible that Prototypes occurs around the time of the Mando Mercs' participation in the New Sith Wars, that Durge's torture at their hands lasted, in fact, a millennium (making Durge's utterly unbridled hatred for Mandalorians all the more justified), before falling asleep 100 years before the Clone Wars.

Of course, this is only one possibility.

Take care,
    Abel

17. ThrawnTheInfallable

Jan 28, 2003
    And really explains his insanity...

18. Reverend_Tegoth

Reverend_Tegoth Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 22, 2005
    I have a question for you, Mr. Pena, if you have the time...

There are two things I noticed about the Mandalorians in the KOTOR games.

First, that there was a Mandalorian named Fett, establishing the Fett lineage among the clans, and second, that the Mandalorians in KOTOR 2 speak with a New Zealand accent.

Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought Jango's accent in the EU had been described as a Concord Dawn accent (one he picked up both as a child and from Jaster, presumably)...

Is it possible that Concord Dawn is a colony world of Mandalore... or, more interestingly, possibly even a renamed Mandalore, during the time when the planet was foresaking it's warrior heritage?

Either explanation would explain both the accents and the Fett lineage continuing there...

It just seems odd that either the Mandalorians from KOTOR 2 heavily recruited from Concord Dawn or that the civilians of Concord Dawn sound like Mandalorians, without there being some sort of connection.

So, if you don't mind me asking, what's your take on it? What, if any, is the connection between Concord Dawn and the planet Mandalore?

19. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003
    "Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought Jango's accent in the EU had been described as a Concord Dawn accent (one he picked up both as a child and from Jaster, presumably)..."

I don't remember anywhere where it says that Concord Dawn's people ALL had NZ type accents. Nor if Jaster had the same accent as well. Unless you can hear things through the pages of Open Seasons that I can't.

Now Jango Fetts father was a Journey Man protector, then he was probably sent by the Mandalorian Government to be the law on Concord Dawn, which could if fact be a colony world but not Mandalore itself.

20. Reverend_Tegoth

Reverend_Tegoth Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 22, 2005
    DM2 said:

I don't remember anywhere where it says that Concord Dawn's people ALL had NZ type accents. Nor if Jaster had the same accent as well. Unless you can hear things through the pages of Open Seasons that I can't.

Yes Mane, I can hear the pages speaking to me, they say "Lordy, do yourself a favor and stop responding to DarthMane2"

But don't worry, I'm not listening at the moment...

Anyway, I thought I remembered a specific EU source that referred to Jango's or Boba's accent as a Concord Dawn accent. I'm not 100% sure about that though, that's why I'm asking Abel.

Obviously if it's a "Concord Dawn" accent, then Jaster, having also come from that world IIRC, would have it too.

Regardless, as I said I was curious as to Mr. Pena's take on the whole thing, including why the Mandalorians in KOTOR 2 have the accent...

21. ThrawnTheInfallable

Jan 28, 2003
    It's on the Republic Commando website. It says that the leader of the Squad has Jango's Concord Dawn accent, though no one knows exactly how he got it.

22. Fist_of_Mandalore

Fist_of_Mandalore Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 31, 2005
    And where did you get that Journeyman Protectors are sent from Mandalore DM? And yes, the pages speak to me as well, they say"Burns then down. BURNZ0RZ T3M 4LL1111111"....no wait, that's just my schizophrenia acting up again....And yes Tegoth, I believe Concord Dawn/New Zealand is a Mandalorian colony. It stands to reason one of the many worlds they conquered would have stayed conquered.

23. QuentinGeorge

QuentinGeorge Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 12, 2003
    It wasn?t long before the pods began assimilating the characteristics of their training sergeants. Some clones even adopted the particular accents of their instructors, while others, curiously, developed accents similar to Jango?s Concord Dawn inflection. The sergeants, in turn, often encouraged clone differentiation by giving them unique nicknames.

Concord Dawn accent = New Zealand accent

Therefore, yes, Jaster Mereel had a similar accent to Jango.

A good proportion of the Mandalorians in KOTOR II had a similar accent, suggesting a Concord Dawn origin.

The other prevalent accent seems to be more American sounding - eg Canderous Ordo or Montross.

Now Jango Fetts father was a Journey Man protector, then he was probably sent by the Mandalorian Government to be the law on Concord Dawn, which could if fact be a colony world but not Mandalore itself.

Why do you persist in making things up? You just plucked that out of your own head.

Stop it! Bad Mane! Bad!

24. Halagad_Ventor

Jul 3, 2001
    Hey folks,

Reverend_Tegoth wrote:
    ?I have a question for you, Mr. Pena, if you have the time...?

For the good Reverend? Certainly.

?Is it possible that Concord Dawn is a colony world of Mandalore... or, more interestingly, possibly even a renamed Mandalore, during the time when the planet was foresaking it's warrior heritage??

Great observations on the accents and some interesting ideas. With the proliferation of Temuera Morrison?s NZ accent, it?s a reasonable fix to infer that Concord Dawn is, or was, a colony of Mandalore. Personally, I?d prefer not to make the two equivalent with one another at this point.

QuentinGeorge wrote:
    ?A good proportion of the Mandalorians in KOTOR II had a similar accent, suggesting a Concord Dawn origin.?

Perhaps Canderous recruited heavily from CD.

Take care,
    Abel

25. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003
    From what I understand, Mandalore is a Jungle world. In every panel of Mandalore in Marvel, it is a lushly forested world.

and even this is said, "Skimming low over the lushly forested surface of Mandalore."

Concord Dawn is barrin in Open Seasons.

Also need we forget that Mandalore has Irish accents not NZ.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.