main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Insider #80 to feature Mandalorian article, Yo Joe!

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The2ndRest-in-Peace, Nov 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    Irish, how do you know this? examples? sound files?

I like Irish... now I like Mandalorians even more, thx!

I wanna see a Mandalorian Guinnes^^

2. QuentinGeorge

QuentinGeorge Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 12, 2003
    Mane is referring to Fenn Shysa's accent.

That's more cockney than Irish.

3. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    Fenn, Tobi, and about every other Mandalorian in the comic with a speaking part

Mandalore: Home of the Irish

4. Halagad_Ventor

Halagad_Ventor Star Wars Author - SWRPG Designer star 4 VIP

Jul 3, 2001
    Because I suspected future authors might overlook or out-right ignore Fenn and Tobbi's "Mandalorian" accents, I made it a point to specify in relative detail just where on Mandalore these good ol' boys are from in the History of the Mandalorians. In my opinion, the Fenn accent is a regional thing.

And I thought I had covered all the details of that article. :)

Best,
    Abel

5. QuentinGeorge

Dec 12, 2003
    Mandalore: Home of the Irish

Again, did you actually read what I wrote? It's more of a cockney accent than an Irish one.

I'm assuming you are familiar with Irish accents outside of movies?

6. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    When visiting England, it's sometimes possible to get accurate road directions from a Cockney or a Welshman by buying him a pint and writing notes.

Along the same lines: if one honestly believes that Pygmalion and My Fair Lady were originally written in English, you've obviously never attempted to listen to, and understand, the musical. There may be a human language somewhere on the sound track, but this point is still being debated by leading linguists and scholars of film history.

The purported "Cockney Translations" have, of course, proven to be a hoax, translations created out of thin air by charismatic con men from Ulster, who are still being sought by New Scotland Yard.

7. QuentinGeorge

Dec 12, 2003
    When visiting England, it's sometimes possible to get accurate road directions from a Cockney or a Welshman by buying him a pint and writing notes.

Ah, but Leto, you've got to be careful. When I was in Wales five years ago, asking directions was an invitation to have flecks of spittle land on your face as they pronounced the various train-station names...

:)

8. Tam_Elgrin

Tam_Elgrin Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2004
    George, just never go here:

[image=http://www.llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwyll-llantysiliogogogoch.com/images/longname.jpg]

http://www.llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwyll-llantysiliogogogoch.com/

9. Reverend_Tegoth

Reverend_Tegoth Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 22, 2005
    Thanks again for your time, Mr. Pena. I compiled the following chart based directly on information from your article in #80. When/If you have the time if you could look it over and confirm that everything is in order then it would be very much so appreciated. I've posted this information in the Mandalorian Reference Guide and I'd like to be sure that it's correct :).

Shock Trooper - Generic term for Mandalorian Warrior.

Crusader - Mandalorian Warriors from 4000-5000 BBY. They are comprised of members of the actual Mandalorian species.

Neo-Crusader - Mandalorian Warriors that came right after the Crusaders and lasted, as a group, for about 23 years. They were comprised of various races.

Mandalorian Mercs - An informal title referring to any Mandalorian or group of Mandalorians that hire out their services to the highest bidder without regard to justice, morals, or honor.

Mandalorian Supercommandos / True Mandalorians - Mandalorian Warriors reunited by Jaster Mereel approximately two decades before the Clone Wars. They followed the supercommando codex which taught them an ethic that extended beyond the limited idealogy of fighting for credits. Existed until around 36 or 35 BBY or so, until revived on two seperate occassions by both Alpha-02 and Shysa and referred to as "Protectors".

Mandalorian Death Watch - Essentially a group of Mandalorian Mercs that splintered from the Supercommandos and caused a civil war. Ceased to exist as a group between 33-31 BBY or so.

Mandalorian Protectors - The name Alpha-02 gave to 212 Mandalorians he formed into a fighting group during the Clone Wars when he became obsessed with rebuilding the supercommandos. This group is, essentially, wiped out during the Wars. Later when Shysa also decides to revive the supercommando tradition during the Galactic Civil War era, this name is also used to refer to his Mandalorians.

10. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    I found WEG's Minitures Game compainion at a local bookstore and leafed through it. The Crystal Forest scenario is interesting, indeed. But Abel, weren't you tempted to place Jodo Kast in Able Company? ;) :p

11. Halagad_Ventor

Jul 3, 2001
    Reverend_Tegoth wrote:
    ?Thanks again for your time, Mr. Pena. I compiled the following chart based directly on information from your article in #80. When/If you have the time if you could look it over and confirm that everything is in order then it would be very much so appreciated.?

Yep! This seems very thorough and accurate, Rhian. I believe the New Essential Chronology should be giving some more details about exactly how long the Mandalorian Civil War went on for?and thus, how long the Death Watch existed as a formidable force.

And, of course, Legacy of the Force will fleshing out Boba?s Mandos.

Rogue_Follower wrote:
    ?I found WEG's Minitures Game compainion at a local bookstore and leafed through it. The Crystal Forest scenario is interesting, indeed. But Abel, weren't you tempted to place Jodo Kast in Able Company? ?

Rogue, you?ve got to stop this. ;)

My biggest indulgence was the recent inclusion of Halagad Ventor in Master Rahn?s bio for the Dark Forces articles at Wizards.com. Beyond that, I specified the make of the White Witch from the Droids cartoon after my first car, a CL-82 ?79 Corvette, in the Dungeon/Polyhedron rpg source article Rich Handley and I wrote.

Take care,
    Abel

12. Senator_Cilghal

Senator_Cilghal Jedi Master star 5

Jul 19, 2003
    21/22 months after the Battle of Geonosis.
    My reasoning?
    Acc. to HNN in Insider, Padme and Lexi Dio took similar outspoken position about the idea of "Moffs" (not called by that term yet, to my knowledge) proposed in the wake of the Battle of Duro 21 ABG.
    Acc. to starwars.com Databank articles on Lexi Dio and Male-Dee, Male-Dee replaced Lexi Dio after Lexi was assassinated for being too outspoken.
    Acc. to the Mandalorian article in Insider, Amidala was almost assassinated by Mandalorians on Norval II.
    Is it not likely this was a reaction to the same unspokeness that resulted in Lexi's assassination? In fact, could Amidala and Lexi have been campaigning together on Norvall II and both been targeted by the Mandalorians, whom killed Lexi but failed to kill Amidala?
    Thoughts?

13. Halagad_Ventor

Jul 3, 2001
    CeiranHarmony wrote:
    ?I wanna see a Mandalorian Guinnes^^?

How about a mug of Mandallian Narcolethe, CH? It?s the drink of choice for all thick-accented Mandos.

Placing the Battle of Norval II: I like your line of reasoning, Senator_Cilghal. However, it?s a bit too early. As surmised earlier by Tam_Elgrin, the dead ?prominent Separatist commander? was indeed a reference to the death of Durge in Obsession, which had not yet been released when Insider #80 was printed. After Durge?s death means putting the event closer to 2 ½ - 2 ¾ years after the Battle of Geonosis, at least, though personally I would place the Kamino and New Bornalex engagements there, with Norval II closer to Revenge.

Take care,
    Abel

14. Leto II

Jan 23, 2000
    Interesting. So would this essentially mean that the Mando "excursion" fell sometime closer to Republic #74-77, since we know that the Outer Rim Sieges culminated two to three weeks prior to the movie (circa 15:13:02)?

Which points to a chronological lock for the Battle of Norval II at between 15:09:10 (30 Months, 15 Days ABG) and 15:10:26 (33 Months ABG)...I'd placed the battle a bit earlier -- very provisionally, since we hadn't yet heard confirmation on which "prominent Seppie commander" it was -- although I hadn't yet connected the overall confrontation to Male-Dee's assassination. Still, considering the new info on Palpatine's pogroms against the dissident Senators from the Stover book and the VizDic, it fits.

Norval II's location in the Calaron Sector is adjacent to -- if I'm not mistaken -- the Atrivis Sector, both in the Outer Rim, near Kamparas and Mantooine, and only a couple sectors' hopskip from Corellia. Thus perhaps explaining Senator Amidala's Inner Rim-related interest in whichever mission she'd undertaken there. And the Mandos' in her.

15. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    I want that drink! Sounds delicious... like a mix of acid and anything that might even get a Wookiee drunk.

16. Leto II

Jan 23, 2000
    A "Pan-Galactic Salporin Blaster"...yum.

[image=http://www.slebidia.addr.com/images/crap/hitgirl.jpg]

17. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    Just "remembered" something.

Is a Lostworld canon if referenced in a canon source? I know the events in Escape from Dagu are, but are others (if they don't contradict other souces, of course)? Because there is a rather interesting Boba Fett level in Galactic Battlegrounds that got cut, in which Fett blasts his way into a Rebel facility on Sarapin, that would have been interesting for this article. All that's left are the voice files, but the level sounds as if it would have made a great tie in with Force Commander.

One other note. Abel, given your penchant to use GoDV references, why didn't you make an allusion to the suit of Mandalorian armor on Space Station Scardia? The one on p. 44 of The Lost City of the Jedi, right under the Ark of the Covenant. ;)

18. Leto II

Jan 23, 2000
    Similar to "Infinities," assumedly a version of those events would now be canonical, if not the original incarnation of the storyline. Thus, Abel could put "Atha Prime" in a future story/article, and a new version of that backstory would be mainstreamed and officialized, but not necessarily the original Kenner one.

Luceno likewise undoubtedly had certain accesses to the original Dagu manuscript and/or editrix notes, or simply decided to give it a nod by sticking that referent in the Labyrinth galleys. (It also showed up in a "Holonet News" supplement circa 2003, if'n I'm not mistaken.)

19. Halagad_Ventor

Jul 3, 2001
    Hey folks. Thought I'd point out that the lastest Databank update at starwars.com seems to have a reference to the Mandalorian battle at New Bornalex in EU secion of the Commander Bacara entry. Here's the relevant portion:

The marines were cross-trained in space and ground-based fighting, and well-versed in zero-gee combat. These troops were among the first to field-test new equipment and combat gear. Their use of the prototype spacetrooper powersuit during the Battle of New Bornalex was well documented; when the weapons systems on the suits failed, the troopers used the mechanical musculature to engage the enemy super battle droids in hand-to-hand combat and tore into them with their enhanced manipulators. This fostered a ferocious reputation for the marines that Bacara particularly relished.

Best,
    Abel

20. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003
    Interesting. This must have been before the Mandalorian attacked during the battle. I would assume at least since their attack had a devastating effect.

21. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    They may have devastated the planet before the Republic showed up...

TC

22. MandalorianOfHonor

MandalorianOfHonor Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 21, 2005
    What planets do the Mandalorians own and live on, from what I gathered was Mandalor(obviously), Ordo, Shogun, Concord Dawn and I think thats all I can think of and I'm not sure if its all correct. Are these correct and are their other worlds?

23. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003
    Could but seems to me that it's more likely the Mandalorian came in during the battle.

24. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003
    Mandallian

25. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    Or possibly Mandalla--IIRC, we don't know the true name of the planet yet.

TC

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.