main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Insider #80 to feature Mandalorian article, Yo Joe!

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The2ndRest-in-Peace, Nov 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    Full Mando name, actually. According to the Wookiee, his first name is actually Bob'ika.

I don't like this either, though I can live with it... [face_tired]

2. Corran_Fett

Corran_Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 17, 2005
    :eek: ... :eek: .. :eek:

What Wookiee? At least "Bob" isn't a Mando word... [face_worried]

3. Rogue_Follower

Nov 12, 2003
  4. sabarte

sabarte Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 2005
    Jango didn't teach his kid Mando, why would he call him something Mando? Jango just calls him Boba. I call shenanigans.

5. Corran_Fett

Jan 17, 2005
    Ah, well... silly me. [face_blush] Yeah, I've seen that before, but I thought that was false info, since the one editing this isn't quite the most qualified person to do this... he's mixed up several things in other articles. But I think this should be addressed on the discussion page there, what I'm doing right now.^^

And Karen calls him Bob'ika Vhett... he's her character, now, and he nearly appears to be her OC, with the new "emotional depth"... [face_plain]

I don't like this at all.

6. Rogue_Follower

Nov 12, 2003
    Shenanagins, indeed. Either on the part of the wookiee-author or Ms. Traviss.

Could somebody with A Practical Man or Bloodlines confirm or deny this name? I assume that's where it would come from.

7. Corran_Fett

Jan 17, 2005
    I just looked up "shenanagins" on wiki... (I don't know what it meant, the little German I am... [face_whistling] ), and I think it's more than fitting.

Nothing about Bob'ika Vhett in APM. Goran Beviin calls Boba Bob'ika in a single line, but that's because it's a kid's name, just like Ord'ika - Ordo/Boba with an "'ika", the Mando'a diminutive suffix. "Little Boba" - I really hope it's the wookieepedian-vandalist who screw this up.

8. Rogue_Follower

Nov 12, 2003
    It may be just a honest mistake of somebody who doesn't know Mando, rather than vandalism. They see another Mandalorian calling Fett by a Mando-ish name and they assume that its just his proper name.

9. patchworkz7

patchworkz7 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 26, 2004
    Just to quash this:

"Vhett is the Mando'a spelling of Fett because there is no F in the Mando alphabet - the F sound if a VH. Jess Harlin laid out the Mando alphabet (no X, Z, or F) so I stuck with it. In Bloodlines, Boba passes himself off as Vhett on his ID. The immigration control doesn't spot it as Fett. (There are Mandos with names with Zs and stuff in, but because they adopt, they are foreign names, and Z is often rendered as S, for example.)

And Beviin calls him Bob'ika, which is the familiar diminutive, and Boba hasn't been called "little Boba" since he was a kid on Kamino and the Mando sergeants called him that. His name is Boba Fett. Period."

10. Corran_Fett

Jan 17, 2005
    Yeah, well, he's no vandalist, I just used the word for want of a better term. I think (and hope) same as you, that it's the wookieepedian's fault. But anway, the article would have been wrong, because Bob'ika isn't a translation to "Boba", and Vhett isn't a translation to "Fett". You could note in the Behind the scenes section that his surname derived from the Mando'a word Vhett, but it's nonsense to put this at the top of the page.

But anyway, let's quit that wookieepedian topic and wait for one of our Bloodlines readers to confirm or (hopefully) negate this.

You saved my day, lad! [face_peace] [face_mischief] No, really, I'm glad to hear this. It would be total nonsense, anyway. Still, the part with "no-F" makes total sense - and adds to the fact, that Boba Fett is in no di'kutla way Mando'a. Period. :D :p

11. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    What I don't get is the fact that Boba Fett speaks Mandalorian (according to George Lucas) IN THE MOVIE (the scene where his father tells him to run along) and yet he's supposed to not speak Mandalorian?

12. Quiet_Mandalorian

Quiet_Mandalorian Jedi Master star 5

Apr 19, 2005
    Jango speaks to him in Huttese in that scene, not Mando'a.

13. QuentinGeorge

QuentinGeorge Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 12, 2003
    according to George Lucas

It's not Mandalorian according to Lucas. Heck, Lucas probably doesn't conceive of the Mandalorians as a culture - merely as a sort of armor worn by bounty hunters.

It is, and always has been, Huttese in AOTC. Ask Ben Burtt - he created it, and he says its Huttese.

Yeah, well, he's no vandalist, I just used the word for want of a better term. I think (and hope) same as you, that it's the wookieepedian's fault.

It's now gone from the article. And let us never speak of it again... :p

14. Corran_Fett

Jan 17, 2005

Well, thanks for taking care of this... I would've (me=Tracyn over there^^) done it myself, but I was already in bed - it was night then, over here in Germany... [face_whistling].

15. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.