main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Inspirations for SW/EU characters speculation thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by cthugha, Dec 17, 2017.

1. cthugha

cthugha Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 24, 2010
    a.k.a. "Who is who when everybody is somebody else?"

I like thinking about which real-life people (or characters from other fictional universes) writers might have had in mind when inventing some of their characters. This can range from someone being an inspiration for just one aspect (or merely the name) of a character, to full-blown SW instantiations of actual people (or stolen borrowed fictional characters).

In some cases, this is trivial. Spacelock Holmes and Jahan Cross need no introduction. Kueller from The New Rebellion is Hitler writ small (TNR: "Luke avenges the Holocaust by befriending a large monster puppy." #onesentenceorless) Lott Dodd is for this what Elan Sleazebaggano is for Star Wars names in general.

On the other hand, it took me to this very day to get Tarkin ~ Tarquin. (Any parallels there besides the name? Also, Tarkinius Superbus looks even sillier than the original.) And I'm sure there are plenty of other "inspirations" that are obvious to other people that I've never seen. Who can you think of? And are there cases where authors have come right out and said something like, "this guy's my GFFA version of Gandhi" or some such?

2. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Baron Fel as Baron Von Richthofen:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Soontir_Fel

The character of Soontir Fel was created by Michael Stackpole for the Star Wars: X-Wing Rogue Squadroncomic series.[2] Editor Peet Janes asked Stackpole to come up with an "Imperial Red Baron" to complement the New Republic aces of Rogue Squadron, a concept Stackpole thought was in line with fan desire to see an Imperial fighter pilot perspective.[10]Timothy Bradstreet illustrated Fel for the trade paperback covers of In the Empire's Service and Blood and Honor using his brother, Bob Bradstreet, as reference. Bradstreet and Janes wanted Fel to have a similar look to the renowned World War I fighter pilot Manfred von Richthofen, known as the Red Baron, appearing to be a "master of the skies."[47]

Or alternatively, for an even more overt example:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Tofen_Vane

Jedi Knight Fett and cthugha like this.