main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Installing Rebellion on Windows XP

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Connemara, Jan 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Connemara

Connemara Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 18, 2000
    I am beginning to think my computer just doesn't want me to play games, but I'm gonna give this a shot. I tried to install Rebellion last night, and it gave me an error message "C:\Windows\system32\autoexec.net. The system file is not suitable for running MS=DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'close' to terminate the application."

I have an option to "close" or "ignore", but I've tried both and neither of them do anything.

Last night Riley found me a Microsoft site that supposedly told me how to take care of that error, but it didn't seem to do anything. I wrote code in notepad, and stuck it in my system32 file and so and so on, and it did nothing. Like an hour's worth of work. [face_plain]

So I am asking if *anyone* here can play Rebellion on Windows XP, or knows how I can get it to work?

Just a note, I do NOT have Windows SP 2 installed as it was screwing with my other games, though the damned thing kept trying to install itself on my computer I don't think I have it. Does that make a difference?

2. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    I havn't played Rebellion on XP as far as I can remember, but I can tell you this, I do have it installed on my computer. It installed just fine without any errors and I'm assuming that it'll play as well, just gotta find the cd to test it out first though.

3. Wildstar02301

Wildstar02301 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 7, 2003
    Connemara

The file in question is named autoexec.nt (not .net)

I've seen this problem crop up on the LucasArts support forums, and it affects mostly older games which use the version 3 InstallShield installer as the back end. The file in question can be found in the Windows\Repair folder; just copy it over to the Windows\system32 folder and your game should install fine. :)

4. Connemara

Nov 18, 2000
    Hey man, thanks a million!!! I finally got it working. :D

Haven't yet actually played the game, but I've installed it and launched it and seems just fine. :D

5. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    I've gotten that same error and fixed it a couple of times. Wish I knew what caused it

6. GrandMoffTarkin

GrandMoffTarkin Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 22, 2001
    Heh heh. I can play Rebellion on XP. Never had to do any tweaking either. :p

I'm just that good. :p

7. Connemara

Nov 18, 2000
    Ben. YOU HAVE REBELLION AND YOU NEVER TOLD ME???

A pox upon ye!

Let's play sometime!!!

8. GrandMoffTarkin

GrandMoffTarkin Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 22, 2001
    Ooh, you liar! I remember mentioning Rebellion way back when we first discussed what games we had In the first few weeks we started chatting!

Yeah, why not? As long as we use Rebed to reduce the times that ships take to travel. I refuse to play if ships take weeks to get elsewhere in the same system! :p

9. Connemara

Nov 18, 2000
    Never used Rebed so you'd hafta show me how, but that's fine. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.