main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Instinct--A Mace/Palpatine vignette of 666 words for 06/06/06--Vignette 35

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by DarthIshtar, Jun 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    "With all due respect, Chancellor, that is ridiculous."

There were very few people in the Republic, much less the Galaxy, who could say such a thing to the most powerful man alive. Nevertheless, it was within Mace Windu's power and was his duty to do so at this moment.

Palpatine looked neither surprised nor dismayed, but accepted the censure as if he'd heard it a hundred times before.

"I thought you'd have your doubts," he mused.

"I do," Mace stated, "as does the constitution."

Palpatine waved a hand dismissively with an equally dismissive smirk. "Constitutions can be amended..."

"Yes, so we have noticed," Mace said dryly. "The ninth one this session?"

"For the common good," Palpatine finished, not noticing that his visitor had even spoken. "I believe this proposal is for the common good."

Mace had to take a deep, cleansing breath to release the chest tension that came from Palpatine's obstinate brand of approximate dictatorship. It would have been a wise maneuver to bring 'backup' in the form of Master Kenobi or Yoda, but both were too occupied with a war that the Jedi should have never fought to be here on Coruscant.

Instead, he would have to rely on the negotiative skills and simple wisdom that each had taught him in one form or another. It was going to be a difficult task for the simple reason that Palpatine was fully intending to irritate him.

"I can understand your intentions," he said carefully, "and I would like to respect them, but I cannot, in good conscience, endorse this."

For the first time, Palpatine's smile shrank and Mace thought for the briefest of moments that he had overstepped his bounds, but it seemed to be a more personal frustration than a genuine anger.

"Master Jedi," he said with a slight edge to his voice, "I am not looking for your endorsement."

Mace doubted a lack of endorsement would stop him in the first place. For all his talk of preserving democracy, there was little to do with Palpatine's service that was not selfish or power-hungry.

"Nevertheless," Palpatine continued, his voice turning slightly more mild, "I am willing to hear your grounds for objection."

Of course, he would diplomatically dismiss it for the sake of his image as a benevolent dictator, nothing more.

"You are proposing that the vote be taken away from the people," he recalled.

"That is one way of putting it," Palpatine admitted.

"You are doing this by leaving the Senate in place, but only giving the power of a legislative vote to a representative from each sector."

"Correct again," Palpatine responded.

It was supremely difficult to manage a neutral tone at this point. "I see that as both unconstitutional and pointless," Mace stated firmly. "You are cloaking it in the idea that it will put leglislation in the hands of those who can be trusted, but in turn. Instead, it is empowering those who have their own agenda to pass legislation that is for the good of the few. And they will be doing it on the behalf of the many."

"I appreciate your candor in this matter."

It was clear from the tone of his voice that the man was simply lying through his teeth, but Mace had too many mistaken that tone for understanding in the past.

He had seen the Chancellor's assertiveness and logic as something for the benefit of the Republic, but it had transformed into something that was absolutely unrecognizable.

"But you will not take it into advisement," Mace guessed.

His smirk was more condescending than comprehending this time around. "I wouldn't say that," he countered.

Only because admitting it would be impolitic.

"I will take it into advisement where it is merited," Palpatine explained. "It is the same courtesy that I would afford any advisory member of the Republic."

Without waiting for a response from the man who would not be able to respect him again, he keyed the comm unit on his desk. "I am ready for my next appointment," he informed his aide.

2. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    Interesting little vig, Ish! Liked the characterizations of Palps and Mace. :)

Palpatine waved a hand dismissively with an equally dismissive smirk. "Constitutions can be amended..."

Oh, those amendements... :rolleyes:

3. Noelie

Noelie Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 11, 2005
    Oh my goodness! Just how I think Palpatine acted. It is always so slow, so quiet, that start with things that people "want" but in truth is just one more example of "big brother" doing things for us that we SHOULD be able to manage on our own.

I love it. What a perfect vig for 6/06/06-a show of Palpatines "less" version of what power and authority truly are.

It is really great that it is Mace that at least stands up enough to say something about it!

=D= =D= =D=

4. anakin_luver

anakin_luver Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 26, 2005
    His smirk was more condescending than comprehending this time around. "I wouldn't say that," he countered.

Only because admitting it would be impolitic.

[face_laugh] You didn't even have to mention this was a Palpatine vig! I can tell from those sly words of his ;)

Great vig! I haven't read many with Mace and Palpatine, a refreshing change! The last line was great.

5. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    Dang, Palps burned Mace there! *Shakes head* And so the few rolling rocks of amendments accumulate, starting the avalanche of dicatorship. And there's not a darned thing he can do to stop Sidious.

6. Renton Kenobi

Renton Kenobi Jedi Master star 4

May 24, 2000
    Awesome as always Ish.

7. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Idrelle_Miocovani--Thanks, Idri. Glad you liked the characterizations. Neither of them is someone I've done often, so it was a challenge to write in the first place. Yes, the amendments of doom.

Noelie--Just like it? Thanks! He's definitely slow, quiet and very sneaky. Good comparison to 1984. Thanks for liking it. I like Mace standing up in a preliminary fashion, knowing what he does later.

anakin_luver--LOL, yes, Sly!Palpy gives it all away. I haven't read many with them either, but his comment in Shatterpoint about Palpatine being someone he respects greatly compared with him wanting Palpatine completely thrown out of office in ROTS is such a stark contrast that I wanted to explore why. Thanks!

RK_Striker_JK_5--Yup, he Burned him there. These are the little pebbles of an avalanche later, to be sure. There's not a thing he can do in his present state of mind, but if he were able...uhoh, plot bunny!

Renton Kenobi--Wow, the day of hell and hell freezes over... ;) Thanks!

8. anakin_luver

anakin_luver Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 26, 2005
    I have a question though. All of your vigs have "Vignette #" next to them. Are you counting down to something?

Just curious :D

9. Renton Kenobi

Renton Kenobi Jedi Master star 4

May 24, 2000
    Well okay I miss interpreted the Bible. . .the world didn't end because I posted in the Saga section, maybe it was the Beyond the Saga section. . .

10. dm1

dm1 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 9, 2004
    This was an intriguing look at how democracy is slowly eroded until it is nothing but a shell of its former self. All those amendments, taking action out of the hands of the people.

At least Mace got to stand up to him this time. Well done!

11. KrystalBlaze

KrystalBlaze Jedi Master star 5

Aug 3, 2002
    Lovely job, Ish. The characterizations were very on-key, and I can totally see this fitting into RotS as a deleted scene or something. Good characterization piece.

-Krystal

12. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    anakin_luver--Explanation in PM.

Renton Kenobi--Well, then we should just expect a plague of locusts, shouldn't we?

dm1--Thanks, dm1. The idea of the constitution being in shambles because of all those amendments really intrigued me and I thought that since Mace had made that comment, it would be appropriate. Glad you liked Mace's stand against it.

KrystalBlaze--Thanks, Krystal. This would be a lot of fun to do with Ian and Sam.

13. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    Are you sure Palpatine's first name isn't Damien. Damien Palpatine. It works. :p

Very good vig, Ish. I really enjoyed the stilted guarded dialogue between the two adversaries.

Right on, Mace. Great job capturing Jackson's voice here. I can hear the word from his mouth.

"Master Jedi," he said with a slight edge to his voice, "I am not looking for your endorsement."

Don't mess with the Sith Master, even if you think he is a corrupt, shifty, benevolent dictator in training.

Good Job, Ish!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.