main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Canada insurance for my collection

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by red-dwarf, Jul 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. red-dwarf

red-dwarf Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 22, 2009
    Hi,
    does anyone know any company that can insure my toy collection.
    I don't want to add it to my home insurance, as that would have to be an itemised list.
    A US company, 'collectinsure' don't operate up here.
    Can anyone help?
    Thanks
    Vinnykenobi

2. CrazyMike

CrazyMike Former Mod & RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 4, 2000
    Hi Vinny,

Your home insurence should cover you for a part of your collection. You should check with them and see, however if your collection is more than 20K you will have to speak with
    Chubb Insurence and Lloyd's of London.

Chubb Insurence and Lloyd's of London will insure collectables but be prepared to spend a lots of money. I was quoted around $2000 back in 2003 and my collection has doubled since then. They will also require appraisals every few years that will set you back a few hundred dollars depending on the size of your collection.

They may also have a requirement that your assets be worth a minimum of 500K before they will insure you. Give them a call and let me know how it goes.

Good luck :)

3. red-dwarf

red-dwarf Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 22, 2009
    Thanks Mike,
    My collection is small, and I am hoping to avoid appraisal fees as that immediately makes the process almost pointless due to costs.

There is a US company that offers blanket policies without appraisal for lower cost items.

The companies you speak of are probably not right for what I need as a smalll collector.
    I'll try my home insurer again and see what he will actually need so my stuff is protected.
    thaks for the feedback.
    Vinny

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.