main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Intaglio - A TPM Missing Scene

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by The Musical Jedi, Aug 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Musical Jedi

The Musical Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 13, 1999
    Title: Intaglio
    Author: The Musical Jedi
    Characters: Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda
    Summary: Obi-Wan?s Knighting Ceremony
    Notes: Winner of the 2nd challenge in the PT Write/Rewrite Contest.

---

Night was beginning to fall over Theed, suffusing the capital city with the remnants of the day?s light, scattered between buildings and plants as though it needed to be used up completely before nightfall. The sky is a dusky red near the horizon, and the spectrum of colors saturated the sky as one looked upward, moving through rich ambers and bronzed ochres to deep ceruleans before fading into a heavy wine-colored sky that blended into the sable already dotted with stars. The city itself is still darker than normal; few lights fill the windows of dwellings, as most of the citizens had yet to make their way back after the evacuation.

All of this is easily seen from the small temple the Council had assigned to me, a roughly circular structure made of obsidian with open sides between its low walls and sweeping roof. The temple was built on a hill, overlooking the newly freed city, a short distance away from the other temple, the one where they had laid out my Master.

Candles had been placed in my temple, scattered over the ledge and on some of the benches set into the low walls, perhaps meant to echo the Hall of Remembrance, where Padawans had kept their vigil for time out of mind, since the Order had built the Temple on Coruscant. Of course, that was what happened, when the Trials had been passed as planned and the Knighting Ceremony was something to be anticipated and arranged.

Not hastily thrown together after unconsidered words and an unexpected death.

I step into the Temple, clad only in my leggings, trying to ready myself for the night of meditation and contemplation of the Force, but my thoughts ? unsurprisingly ? refuse to be so neatly marshaled. I could feel my braid resting gently on my right shoulder, and I can?t help but feel a rush of resentfulness ? of regret ? that the man who had put it there in the first place would not be the one to cut it off and welcome me as Knight into the Order.

I kneel in the center of the circular room, feeling the coolness of the stones seep through the thin fabric. The night would grow cold, I knew; but I am a Jedi, taught to disregard physical comforts ? as well as emotions.

Exhaling slowly, I close my eyes, aware of the flickering candlelight beyond, and try to find my center in the turmoil that had, in the last few days, been my connection to the Force. Instead, I see the look on my Master?s face as he told the Council I was ready for the trials, the sneer on that tattooed Zabrak?s lips as he ignited his lightsaber, my Master, as he fell to the floor. With these images comes the image of the boy, Anakin ? his face crumpling in soundless tears when I told him what happened. With a sigh, I try to clear my mind and sweep these pictures and their attendant emotions away.

Within the Force, I can sense the movement of what few people were in the capital, slowly making their way through the city with lingering thoughts of how they had left, the tang of fear almost tangible in the air. I can perceive the whiff of relief within the palace from the Queen and her handmaidens, as well as their security forces. It almost seems as though the Force itself is jubilant, throwing Its greater cares away for an instant, a heartbeat, before resuming the currents of the rest of the Galaxy.

And I can almost convince myself that I can sense the motionless body not too far, placed on a bier in another temple not so unlike my own. In my mind, I recall the visage of Qui-Gon easily ? I lived with the man for over a decade - and he seemed as changeless as the Force itself to me, solid in his convictions and unyielding in his pursuit of them. Perhaps, then, that was what had been so painful, both in the Council chamber and in his last words. I dared dream that he loved me more than that, that I would not be swept aside.

This isn?t suppose

2. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Very, very nice.

This isn?t supposed to be what I?m contemplating. The night before the Knighting ceremony is supposed to be a rededication of oneself to the Jedi Order, an echo of the vows taken when one rises to initiate and then again when one is taken on as Padawan. It?s a moment of contemplation about what it means to be Jedi, to give up everything in search of something greater. A story told in the crèche is that we reenact the actions of those who came before, knights who kept watch over their arms throughout the night in a Mystery made holy by their beliefs. They, too, walked the lonely road, symbolized by keeping watch alone, and gave up their individual dreams so that others may be safe, upholding justice and peace in their realms, finding answers in the silence between dusk and dawn.

All I have are questions.

I open my eyes again and watch the dim reflection of the candlelight in the dark stone, the flickering dance as a breeze moves through the temple before the air falls still again. Using this as a point of focus, I can feel the over twenty-five years of training steal over me and take control; I give myself to the Force, an act I have performed more times than I can count. It always reminds me of that moment between waking and sleep. The lines of my body, the borders that define me from that which I can sense slip away, blurring the distinction between me and not me, as I ease into the currents eddying around me, making up the Force.

I can feel like I was there.

3. ratna

ratna Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 1, 2007
    A hard life. The words bring back my beloved Master to me, and tears blur my eyes.

"You know I am, Master Yoda," I find myself saying softly.

This just totally got me. :_|

He blinks slowly before reaching out to sever my braid, placing it gently in my hands. I look down, seeing the dark brown hair with a few strands of grey interwoven with my own copper.

"Jedi, you are." Yoda gives a small nod and a corner of his mouth flickers upward. "It is done."

Beautiful simplicity. Really, really nice.

I close my hand slowly, my fingers curling protectively around the last remnant of my apprenticeship, possibly the only thing left unshattered from this mission.

Perhaps I will use some of it to weave into Anakin�s braid when I take him as my own Padawan.

Lovely, touching post all around.

4. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Awww! Wonderfully done, hun! *hugs*

5. Fifilla

Fifilla Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 9, 2006
    =D= That was amazing!
    I loved every bit of it! =D=

A wash of images comes over me, some I recognize and others I don?t. I see a shadowy figured hazed in the blue of a commlink message. Anakin attacking another child, a Rodian. An infant in my arms, eyes closed as he sleeps. Streaks of laser fire adding color to the star-filled canopy of a starfighter. A young man with wavy, long brown hair, holding a blue lightsaber, a scar over his eye. Padmé, heavily pregnant, with tears in her eyes. Yoda, standing small and alone aboard a white ship. Smoke pouring from the Jedi Temple. Qui-Gon, smiling at me. A dark man watching over a young woman, holding a child. A dusty-haired boy, looking out on a vast desert. The same boy, lighting a funeral pyre for a masked man in black.
    That passage made me really sad. :_|
    So, the future cannot be changed? Poor Obi-Wan!

6. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    I can definitely see why this won!

A hard life. The words bring back my beloved Master to me, and tears blur my eyes.

?You know I am, Master Yoda,? I find myself saying softly.

He blinks slowly before reaching out to sever my braid, placing it gently in my hands. I look down, seeing the dark brown hair with a few strands of grey interwoven with my own copper.

?Jedi, you are.? Yoda gives a small nod and a corner of his mouth flickers upward. ?It is done.?

I close my hand slowly, my fingers curling protectively around the last remnant of my apprenticeship, possibly the only thing left unshattered from this mission.

Perhaps I will use some of it to weave into Anakin?s braid when I take him as my own Padawan.

Simply stunning. =D=

7. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    How bittersweet.

I loved Obi-Wan's reflections as he waited for the ceremony to begin.

I'm gald to see that while the ceremony was hastily arranged, it was still a solemn, occassion.

Great response to the challenge and congrats on the win!

=D= =D= =D= =D=

8. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    Beautiful missing scene, Musical.

Absolutely stunning!

=D=

9. The Musical Jedi

Dec 13, 1999
    Valairy_Scot - It's always a good sign when someone says that. I'm glad the imagery managed to place you there. :D

ratna - Maybe it's Cyn's influence on me, but I've always had the feeling that Jedi are more born than trained; some simply have the honor and the dedication innately in a way other Jedi never will. Obi didn't need Yoda to tell him. :)

Mi - Thanks! [:D] We suckers for Obi-Wan have to stick together. :p

Fifilla - Well... [face_thinking] That wasn't my thought when I wrote that. I guess my take would be that, to quote a certain Muppet, always in motion, the future is. I was going more for a Ghost of Christmas Future thing, shadows of what could happen, images to force Obi-Wan to realize that Anakin must be trained. However, he doesn't know that all those things will come to pass. And any number of them could, even if Anakin hadn't fallen. Some are also things that have already happened. And, another question comes to mind. Even if the future can't be changed, wouldn't you try, to save that which you're sworn to protect, as well as your loved ones and comrades? I'd like to think I would.

MamaV - [face_blush] Thanks.

KELIA - I'd like to think that the Jedi would do Obi-Wan's knighting ceremony correctly, even if the circumstances where *ahem* less than ideal. I would think it would be hard to focus, given everything that had happened.

Idri - Thanks! I'm glad you liked it. :)

10. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Just read this and it is a beautiful response to the challenge. Like that about the few grey hairs of Qui-Gon.

11. The Musical Jedi

Dec 13, 1999
    I bet Obi-Wan probably managed to replace the ones that were placed in his braid. [face_mischief]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.