main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Intellectual Subversion, Rogue Scholarship, and Concepts of Canon...

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Thrawn McEwok, Dec 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thrawn McEwok

Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare star 6 VIP

May 9, 2000
    Yeah, yeah, another McEwok thread - though some of the blame and kudos for this thread go to Lord_Darth_Bob, for describing me as an "intellectually subversive element"...

I think he meant it as an insult, but I find it rather flattering... :p

So, I'm creating this thread as a place where people can discuss the crux issues of continuity and canon - not the problems themselves (eg. I, Jedi vs. Jedi Trial, SSD size, Chak Fel, the nature of hyperphysics) but, given that the problems exist, their implications for our understanding of the fabric of which they are intrinsic parts... the SW Saga itself...

That, and is there any way that the canon policy du jour can be justified in terms of pure analysis of the movies and EU material? :D

- The Imperial Ewok

2. academygrad88

academygrad88 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 6, 2004
    Awwww....can't we talk about you intellectually corrupting young nOObs like me? ;)

AG88

3. Prophets_Otherself

Prophets_Otherself Jedi Youngling

Jun 18, 2003
    An "intellectually subversive element"... . . . . 'Hmmm!"

Interesting that you would be described as that in this forum, when, really as I see it this seems to has spiraled out through your defence of that particular piece of flight of fancy involving questions on the little Skywalker's parentage...

After that one, the wild theories went abandon.

___ Kermit the Frog

4. alpha_red

alpha_red Jedi Youngling star 5

Aug 24, 2003
    Defense of it? He basically invented it!

5. EH_Pilot

EH_Pilot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 12, 2003
    I wonder how much time authors were given to write their stories...if they had any time at all to research, or if Bantam/Del Ray forced difficult time tables on them.

As for the anti-Stackpole bias, you should read his Acknowledgements, as that makes it pretty clear he's basing his combat scenes on X-Wing and TIE Fighter the computer games.

That's about all I'll say for now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.