main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

RPR Archive Interest Gauge: Dinotopia?

Discussion in 'Role Playing Resource Archive' started by BobaMatt, Aug 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    I'm a big fan of james Gurney's Dinotopia books - and the "EU" novels by other authors - for a long while now. I started an RP in another forum that I thought would be a lot of fun: a more "mature" Dinotopia RP, a story that took a look at the seedier, less utopian side of things, the side inhabited by characters like Lee Crabb. Think Pirates of the Carribean meets Firefly meets the Land Apart from Time.

Unfortunately, that RP fell to pieces due, mostly, to inexperienced roleplaying, and I was wondering what peoples' thoughts would be on maybe rebooting such an RP in the NSWRP board. Who here's into Dinotopia? lol

[color=purple][b][hl=gray]I_H Edit:[/hl][/b][/color] Unlocked at author's request

2. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    I used to love that show when it was on ABC and I read one of the books, but that was years ago, and I've forgotten everything. however, if I can get back into it, maybe I'd be interested.

3. DarthSolar

DarthSolar Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 4, 2008
    I'd be intrested.

4. chanbill5390

chanbill5390 Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 12, 2007
    Sounds cool, I'd love to join one.

5. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    But how familiar are you two with the material?

6. Imperial_Hammer

Imperial_Hammer Manager Emeritus: RPFs star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 25, 2004
    Very familiar... ;)

Waterfall City, the World Beneath, Sunstones, Le Crab, The Rainy Basin, Treetown, etc, etc...

If you heavily utilize Gurney's gorgeous pics, both in your first post and in your game, it would make for a very pretty RPing experience.

EDIT: In fact, I extend to you here a formal offer of co-GMship. I would love to see a strong Dinotopia game in the NSWRPF. :)

-I_H

7. chanbill5390

chanbill5390 Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 12, 2007
    WOOT!!!! I would love to be in this RPG if it launches, and I to am quite familiar with it, I have even studied the map from time to time to associate myself with the location of most things.

8. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    I'll have to go over the material to become familiar with it again, but I am still interested. :)

9. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    Not something I'd actually thought of before...interesting...
    :eek:

::pms Imp_Hammer::

10. Stella_Webb

Stella_Webb Jedi Master

Sep 1, 2008
    A Dinotopia RP definately sounds fun, if you get it going count me in.
    I've read most of the books, and am a Paleontology student so I know the material pretty well.

11. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    Hey!

Bumping this thread because I've recently become re-interested in Dinotopia, and wondering if anyone's still interested, or if any new people are.

12. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    I'm still interested. :)

13. Hero_Of_The_Force

Hero_Of_The_Force Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 22, 2008
    I am also.

My endless days on Wikipedia researching Dinosaurs has paid off quite well.

((Mostly when I go over my friends house, they have young siblings and they all come to me for a dino story... >.>))

Anyways, I've read some books and surfed the actual website.

14. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    Here's the OP I was planning on going with:

[color=sea-green][link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttQjm-8OITE]Welcome to Dinotopia[/link]
    [image=http://dinotopia.com/images/art/dinosaur_boulevard.jpg]
    [blockquote]Survival of [hl=black]all[/hl] [i][b]me[/b][/i] or none.
    One raindrop raises the sea...[i][b]fish poo gives it flavor.[/b][/i]
    Weapons are enemies even to their owners...[b][i]but mostly to the guy on the business end.[/i][/b]

Give more, take less. [i][b]<-- Bad business.[/b][/i]
    Others first, self last. [i][b]<-- Ditto.[/b][/i]
    Observe, listen, and learn. [i][b]<-- Good business.[/b][/i]
    Do one thing at a time. [i][b]<-- Ditto.[/b][/i]

[hl=black]Sing [/hl][i][b]Drink[/b][/i] every day.
    Exercise imagination. [i][b]Nothing too dirty...[/b][/i]
    Eat to live, don't live to Eat. [i][b]The cook spits in the food, anyway.[/b][/i]
    Don't p...[i][b]ay for anything unless you've got it in your hand.[/b][/i][/blockquote]
    [b]-The Code of Dinotopia tablet in the Black Fish Tavern,
    with accompanying graffiti.[/b]

Isaiah Achebe was sitting in the Black Fish Tavern when the idea struck him: there's a lot of business to be had in transporting cargo over land. On Dinotopia, if it's too heavy for a skybax to carry, a guy has to deliver it himself or hope there are caravans going to the right place at around the right time. There was no overland, dedicated courier service. Realizing this, and realizing that the world of theater was leaving him behind, Isaiah and his partner Bolo founded Backbone Shipping Company. Now he just needs some more help. That's where [b]you[/b] come in.

[b]Intro[/b]
    Welcome to Backbone Trading Company, a different kind of [i]Dinotopia[/i] RP. Charitability and selflessness aren't for everyone, and it's those types that populate Isaiah Achebe's world. Outright evil may be rare, but charming rogues and salty dogs abound; it's Han Solo/[i]Firefly[/i]/[i]Pirates of the Carribean[/i] meets the Land Apart from Time, and it may prove to be quite interesting.

[image=http://dinotopia.com/images/art/attack_on_a_convoy.jpg]

[b]Guideline[/b]
    - This RP is based, primarily, on the books by James Gurney and other contributing authors. The TV series will receive less consideration.
    - Character sheets should be messaged to the GM (me) before posting, for approval.
    - Most characters should be affiliated with Backbone, but exceptions may be made.
    - You need not feel pressured to make your character a scoundrel, if that feels uncomfortable, but many of the characters in the RP will be.
    - Please try to keep soley OOC posts after the start of the game to a minimum. If there?s something that needs addressed, add it onto an IC post or send a PM.
    - No one line posts!
    - Writing well counts for something. Grammar, spelling, sentence structure...take it seriously, please.
    - Combat, if it occurs, will be turn based, obviously.
    - Do not God Mode - you cannot take control of another character without permission.
    - Don?t claim too many skills for your character. A person usually has one thing they excel in but can be proficient in other skills as well. You may be a jack of all trades, but also a master on none.
    - Don?t try to carry to much stuff. A being can only bear so many items in their packs or pockets.
    - [b]While a little less squeaky clean, this is still Dinotopia. Bear that in mind.[/b]
    - [b]While taking place on Dinotopia, we're exploring the elements of the island that are less squeaky clean. Bear that in mind.[/b]
    - Save for the GM, you will be limited to 1 character, though additional characters may be allowed with the GM's permission.
    -Try to post regularly. If you are absent for more than a week without warning, the GM will move your character so the group doesn?t lag behind. If you?re going to be gone, please be courteous and tell the group.
    - If your character is of a former alignment to any other groups or factions, mark it down.
    - If you have any questions, just ask!

[image=http://dinotopia.com/images/art/will_and_bix_sm.jpg]

[b]The Character Sheet[/b]

Name:
    Species:
    A

15. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    I'm not familiar with the source material but if someone could give me a crash course, I may be interested. It seems like this would involve my type of character. ;)

16. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    Hehe...I should include a "resources" section.

17. sprintabm

sprintabm Jedi Master star 3

May 20, 2005
    I was really into the first book when it came out. REALLY into it. Read the second book and thought it got a little to outlandish (as if the first one wasn't, ha).

I'd be interested, not totally sure if I have time though. Guess I'll have to see.

But most importantly, what timeframe is this taking place? The 1850s like the first two books? Or modern times like the (poorly acted) (at least the first episode) TV show? I'm more interested in the former.

18. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    A bit before 1850.

19. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    Sounds like I'll have to take a crash-course as well.

20. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    The second and third one aren't as good - the third one is fantastic, conceptually, but the writing is awful; it's written for children, but the illustrations and scifi/steampunk are worth it - but the fourth one - Journey to Chandare - is awesome.

Dinosaurs kick butt. And you'll be allowed to play as them, so yeah...

21. Beeblebroxh2g2

Beeblebroxh2g2 Jedi Youngling

Feb 13, 2009
    I'm very interested. Keep me posted on how this progresses, I will definitely be on board.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.