main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

St. Lou, MO Interest in forming a lightsaber choreography/sparring group

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by Form4Master, Aug 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Form4Master

Form4Master Jedi Youngling

Aug 23, 2005
    Hey all!

I'm new to the St Louis area and the FF community. I just wanted to see if anyone would be interested in setting up a lightsaber type sparring group or if one already existed. I am a trained and self-trained swordfighter myself who has studied several types of weapon styles and would be willing to work on choreography and style with anyone who is interested. Lightsaber fighting is one of the best parts of all the SW movies and with some practice you can learn some cool tricks and plan out a fight. Nothing to hardcore , just some fun. Let me know if you are interested.

2. Jedi_Commander_Faofa

Jedi_Commander_Faofa Jedi Master star 4

Mar 17, 2003
    With help from my good friends (LeraTheElf and i_am_darth_chewbacca), I formed a stage combat performance group with them a while back. We did a lightsaber show May 21st at the Ronnie's Cinema with the FanForce. We also did a talent show performance using many different forms of swordfighting in the show. Our group is called Swordplay.

Do you fence Form4Master?

3. Jedi_Master_Medic

Jedi_Master_Medic Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 8, 2005
    What is involved in this type of thing? Plus what do you use to practice with?

4. Jedi_Dajuan

Jedi_Dajuan Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 30, 2002
    Several of us fence and/or do midevil swordfighting. Personally, I'm in the SCA and do midevil swordfighting with them. Good fun, better bruises :D

5. VoijaRisa

VoijaRisa Jedi Master star 5

Oct 12, 2002
    Do lightsaber coreography with unpadded blades and you can have scars just like me!

6. Jedi_Commander_Faofa

Mar 17, 2003
    I'll have you know I have a huge bruise on my arm from drilling in our fencing class that I recieved more than 3 weeks ago... It won't go away. Not sure if this is good or not.

7. chiss_man

chiss_man Jedi Master star 6

Jul 1, 2002
    Jedi_Dajuan posted on 8/23/05 7:53pm
    Several of us fence and/or do midevil swordfighting. Personally, I'm in the SCA and do midevil swordfighting with them. Good fun, better bruises [face_grin] [hr][/blockquote]

Indeed, many of the people here play with swords all the time. Me, I'm a lover, not a fighter. But it makes them happy to play with their swords, so I just smile and nod.

8. Jedi_Commander_Faofa

Mar 17, 2003
    Ah, so you're Randy's apprentice. LOL!

9. chiss_man

chiss_man Jedi Master star 6

Jul 1, 2002
    Jedi_Commander_Faofa posted on 8/23/05 9:24pm
    Ah, so you're Randy's apprentice. LOL! [hr][/blockquote]

Captain Charisma is no man's apprentice, good sir!

10. Jedi_Commander_Faofa

Mar 17, 2003
    Well then Captain Charisma and the Burger King should form an alliance of some sort... ;)

11. titania7

titania7 Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 28, 2005
    For some reason, the mere mental picture of them in tights fighting evil or whatever together just made me laugh out loud!

12. Form4Master

Aug 23, 2005
    Sorry it has taken me a few days to post on my own thread, been crazy this week

Jedi_Commander_Faofa: checked out swordplay's website, looks like you three have had some experience. Bet the gig at Ronnie?s was fun, they had some people in Kansas City doing the same thing for AOTC. To answer your question I have fenced and can off and on but it is not my favorite kind of style, I am much more a long sword/Katana fighter. I have a stunt foil much like your foils in the picture, mostly for choreographed bouts.

Jedi_Master_Medic: Mainly it involves working out moves slowly like they do for the films and then speeding them up so they look more impressive. Choreograph can be tedious at times but is fun as well as insightful because you learn fighting styles as you go. I use a piece of plumber's piping my saber handle that is wrapped in oil twine and secure a dowel rod (color green or blue) with small nails in the pipe. This works out well because the handle is much heavier then the blade (as a real lightsaber would be) and can be removed and replaced very easily. Can the dowel break, you bet. But they can leave a hefty welt if you hit someone hard with them.

Jedi_Dajuan: Thank for the heads up as far as that some people fence. I am not the best with a foil but would still love to see if anyone wanted to work on coming up with a fight. Please spread the word on the boards.
    I feel you on the bruises 100%. They aren't bruises, they are marks of combat!

Well if anyone wants to set up a group of St Louis Lightsaber Masters let me know. I would love to work on some fights or just spar. I am also more then willing to teach some stuff too. I live in South StL by Carondelet Park Park and have a house with a yard. Post if anyone is up for it anytime soon or email me at bishop_2880@yahoo.com if you want to learn or just spar.

13. FoxyHotsauce

FoxyHotsauce Jedi Youngling

Aug 28, 2005
    My buddy and I have sparred a bunch of times at Carondolet Park (Loughborough Exit, just North of River Des Peres in South City) We had an entire routine down, but last time we got together we had forgotten most of it, I know that my opinion is kind of biased, but I thought that it was awesome. We had some pretty cool moves! I'd like to do it more often but there's no way I can schedule anything with my job! We used lightsabers we built ourselves at Home Depot, we used spray painted doll rods as blades and we had a few bumps and bruised on our fingers and forearms, but never anything serious.

14. Draco19

Draco19 Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 12, 2005
    I wouldn't mind seeing a sparring group form. I have done some sparing before and enjoyed it a lot. very fun. [face_peace]

15. Form4Master

Aug 23, 2005
    I was thinking about having a start up night at my house with some burgers and stuff and to have people get a lightsaber in order in Oct. sometime. Sabers are cheap and fun to put together, around 10 or 15 dollars at home depot. If people are down for a Saber night and maybe a little basic sparring post. If I get over five people we are on. Post what weekend would be best for you. First weekend is out for me, I'll be in Kansas City. I'll post a list of needed saber parts and prices at home depot tonight or tommorrow. Chime in if you are intrested, want to learn, or just want to watch people attempt to hit each other with sticks.

16. Draco19

Draco19 Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 12, 2005
    Sure. it sounds like fun. put me down as a maybe. I won't know till a group is formed and what nights it will be. if it's on the weekend I may also have to work, but it all depends on what weekend it starts.

17. FoxyHotsauce

FoxyHotsauce Jedi Youngling

Aug 28, 2005
    What do you use for blades? My buddy and I have always just used spray painted doll-rods. They work great, but hurt like a b.... well, they hurt a lot!

18. Lord_Tojo

Lord_Tojo Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 11, 2005
    I would be interested in joining and learning. I would have to let you know if I am avail after you decide on a day and time. (My job is spuratic)

19. Form4Master

Aug 23, 2005
    Hey all, sorry I haven't posted in a bit, just got a new job and things are constantly nuts in my house.

Looks like if everyone is down with doing this so here is the best way I see to do it. I suggest a date in Nov., say the 12th say around 5pm, and we can have a saber building party. Everyone will meet at my house and we will carpool over to Home Depot on Kingshwy and get the needed stuff to build some sabers. I will try to have four sabers built by that time and a few replacement blades so we can spar a bit and those how want to build their own can get the stuff at Home Depot (figure like $10 -15) and put them together.

I will pick up the spray paint to save people some cash so we will have all the saber colors (blue, green, red and purple). If people who are coming could bring some cash we will order some pizza or something and have a good time! If you think this would be fun to have some food, build a saber and spar for a bit post that you?re in. I will consider it a go if there are 5 "yes" posts or more. If the day or time needs to be changed speak up and we can change it. Once we get the sabers built it will be a lot of fun to figure out our own lightsaber routines.

Let me know if people are down with this.

Later,

Form4

20. Darth Gangrenous

Darth Gangrenous Chosen One star 10

Jun 1, 2005
    I may be interested in doing something like that.

21. Form4Master

Aug 23, 2005
    "Well that's one."

Two counting me. Anyone else???

22. Darth Gangrenous

Jun 1, 2005
    I must warn you I have never taken a fencing or Kendo lesson in my life. I hope that doesn't matter to you.

23. Jedi_Comander_Faofa

Jedi_Comander_Faofa Jedi Youngling

Nov 7, 2005
  24. Jedi_Commander_Faofa

Mar 17, 2003
  25. Darth Gangrenous

Jun 1, 2005
    :eek: There are two of you. [face_hypnotized]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.