main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Reference Interest Measurement Thread

Discussion in 'Role Playing Resource' started by Sawn_Kassal, Nov 13, 2009.

1. Mitth_Fisto

Mitth_Fisto Chosen One star 6

Sep 29, 2005
    Aliens...an interesting dinamic that a friend like a brother exposed me to, haven't seen the most recent ones but the oldest ones were very interesting conceptually.:-B

Also if your old enough for the retirement home then I'm ready for loony one8-}

2. TenX10

TenX10 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 10, 2008
    I'm currently working on an RP, but would like to know if people would want to play before I dump hours of my life into its design. So, long story short...

It's set at around 4000 ABY-esque-ish. So, canon's out the window (and that's kind of the point). Obviously,there's a lot of story to be filled in, and I want to put some of that on the players. Allow them to create some of the technologies as they go, and add them to the era.

Obviously, this would lead to a massive amount of content, so there would hypothetically be a Lexicon Thread in the RPR for support and (possibly) entertainment. Which leads me to...

1) Anyone intersted in playing?

2) Anyone interested supporting the creative aspect of the game outisde their own chracter and plot?

3) Still interested when you find out that some of the most notable starwars landmarks no longer exist because if 4000 years later? (Most notably...Coruscant)

Give me your thoughts.

3. Imperial_Hammer

Imperial_Hammer Manager Emeritus: RPFs star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 25, 2004
    Tenx10: You might want to put that into the GDG.

I've viewed this thread more as an advertising/coming up thread vs. a real game analysis thread.

It seems like you have more specific questions than this thread is intended for. :)

-I_H

4. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    All due respect, all three questions seem aimed at, well, measuring interest in the sort of game he has in mind.

5. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    TenX10, possibly. But, personally, anyway, the era and creative license are only secondary factors to my interest, after more fundamental questions like genre, gameplay, and storyline. Do you have any thoughts on those as of yet?

Also Archangels and Alchemists having been my first RP on these (boards, and well, one of four total, so I guess it's not saying much), I'd certainly be interested in a prequel. There are lots of others that sound potentially interesting, but either don't know about them or am unfamiliar with the threads that are being referenced to get more info, so I can't really comment.

6. BLemelisk

BLemelisk Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 19, 2003
    I for one would be delighted to see a prequel to the Archangels universe, after having played in both preceding games, and loved them.

TenX10, if you have even the most general of plots in mind please share, I'm intrigued.

7. TenX10

TenX10 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 10, 2008
    Imperial_Hammer:
    Perhaps a misinterpretation on my part (I read "Litmus Test"). But I have no plan of hashing out the design here. I just wanted to measure what possible interest would be before I started neglecting my job, schoolwork, girlfriend, and D&D group in order to design it.

Jabba-Wocky:
    Genre? Honestly, it's hard for me to think of it in those terms. It's an experiment. There is almost nothing to go off of except thte creativity and ingenuity of both myself and the players. Even AU games have canon they can "be-different-than". Moving this far in the future leaves an almost (but not entirely) blank slate. But, if you were to pin me down, I'd say something along the lines of story-based sandbox with user created content.

As far as story line is concerned, I don't want to give out too much. But I will give this: The Galactic Senate explodes during the tricentennial celebration of the end of the last major war.

BLemelisk:
    See above regarding combustable government buildings.

8. bad_feeling_haver

bad_feeling_haver Jedi Master star 1

Oct 5, 2008
    I did a little preliminary work on a Mass Effect RPG. I think that universe is really fertile ground for original stories and characters. I'm holding off on putting any serious work into the game until after ME2 comes out (on Jan. 26th in North America, i believe), since I can't even imagine having the time to run an RPG until after that, probably several months after. (Actually, I think I really just want to play a Mass Effect game, but I want to try running an RPG at some point and I think that could be a good one since I feel I grasp the world of it). Also, I think if I can time it so the RPG piggybacks on the release of ME2, enough people will be excited about it so that I can get enough players. So what do people think?

I noticed the discussion about the Assassin's Creed RPG here. I would be very interested in that. This might seem weird, but I would like to see a game set in neither the Crusades, Renaissance Italy, or modern times. I'd imagine most people would want to play during the Crusades, but I'd be more interested in having a whole new time period to play in. Just sayin'.

9. Sir_Draco

Sir_Draco Jedi Master star 4

Aug 19, 2007
    I would join any, ANY game in that universe before you can say MASS EFFECT! ;) I believe there was an ME game planned some time ago, but I believe it never came to pass . . . and other than HALO that is a really good game to do an RP about it. :)

10. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    I completely, completely agree. So much potential to explore, really, any era. Cold War Assassin's Creed? Feudal Japan Assassin's creed? Might be interesting if the singular Assassin was the antagonist, and everyone else was going about their business trying not to be assassinated...

Hey, how come no one ever made a Starcraft game? I mean, hell, not even Blizzard is doing it...

(rimshot)

11. DarkLordoftheFins

DarkLordoftheFins Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 2, 2007
    I have beat Mass Effect an hour ago :D Absolutely a world made to play an RPF game in . . .

Starcraft? I almost forgot about that one. Might be hard to translate, though. Not exactly a "character-game" . . .

12. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002

[blockquote][i]"Novebruns had been a world without much importance for most of the existence of the Imperium, but in the wake of Paul Muad'Dib Atreides' ascent to the Imperial seat, it became a rallying symbol - not of support for the new regime, but rather for its opposition. Our relatives the Mutellis dug in deep, opposing even my mother's decisions...and the Mutellis paid dearly. Novebruns was destroyed, and their House was squashed nearly to a head. Those that survived lived out the rest of their lives on Tupile.

"The true lesson of House Mutelli's destruction is not, however, that the power of the Atreides is unopposable - this even my wife will admit. The lesson is that even a God King can be shaken."[/i]

[b]- Harq al'Ada[/b][/blockquote]
    [hr]
    [image=http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/8/87/RoM_unofficial_coat_of_arms.svg/170px-RoM_unofficial_coat_of_arms.svg.png]
    It all began when Count Mutelli refused to pay tribute to the new Emperor.

A year had passed since Shaddam's reign collapsed at Arrakis, and Muad'dib's jihad had set fire to the Known Universe. Mutelli, a Minor House beneath House Corrino, ruled a full half of the planet Novebruns; after Paul Atreides' ascension to the throne, they bought the other half as well. And on their world they began to harbor their cousins and allies - not to mention legions upon legions of the now defunct Sardaukar, warrior fanatics loyal to the Corrino dynasty.

Without their loyalty, the forces of the jihad had no choice.

This is the story of the fall of House Mutelli.
    [hr]
    Good? Fun? Dune?

13. BLemelisk

BLemelisk Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 19, 2003
    bad_feeling_haver, Mass Effect is my game, played through it numerous times and am absolutely fascinated with the political workings of the Citadel Council...not to mention what the Reapers are capable of...

I had a setting for a ME RP set up after I finished beating it back when it came out, which will obviously be overwritten now that ME2 is coming out so soon, its kind of how I saw the story continuing. If anyone would like to discuss it via PM, my box is open.

14. Bravo

Bravo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 10, 2001
    To be honest, I miss the OT (Original Trilogy). That's why I made STAR WARS: INTERVENTION (A story-telling style OT starfighter game)---Always taking new players!. I'm interested in the AU games for the simple fact that AFAS looks to be based somewhat on the OT.

Since this is a interest measurement thread, would I be out of place to ask anyone of their interest on Intervention if they've been keeping up on the game and reading the posts? Moderator opinions included, since I know Hammer and Xan probably have to read the game threads to make sure TOS is followed at least. I know the start of the game was a bit awkward for some players and the end of summer/beginning of the school year/the recession knocked out a lot of our player base. But a small member base (Mitth_Fisto, greyjedi125, Bravo) railed and kept it going, we added some new players (Baskerville and Darth_Cadaverous), and finally we've finalized the three big good/bad guy characters and have the plot base built enough to where Grey and I can advance the game as we planned to this summer storyline wise.

We're still looking for players to fill starfighter pilot positions. And I would personally like to get another veteran RPer (or at least a RPer with a few years of experience RPing) to play one of the main characters on the Imperial-side of things (we have two main Imperial characters, but a person may create another Imperial character if approved by the GM or Assistant GM---greyjedi125), so we could have a more interactive approach to the Imperial side (the bad guys).

15. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    We'd love to have ya! [face_love]

16. Bravo

Bravo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 10, 2001

I've been thinking on it off and on Boba. :) My main focus is Intervention, since we (as players) have barely touched the top of the ice burg for the storyline. There's so much story left in Intervention, that I'd love to get some more players. Our average post rate a week is each player is posting about twice a week, so its not like a super fast game.

17. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    Which gives you more time to post with us!

Haha I know, Bravo, mostly I'm kidding. I do that to everybody...

18. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Definitely an interesting premise for the Dune game, Matt. Now you just need to make sure it sticks around this time.:p

19. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    I posted the OP over in the GM thread. Lemme know what you think!

20. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    I'm all for a Mass Effect game. :D

21. bad_feeling_haver

bad_feeling_haver Jedi Master star 1

Oct 5, 2008
    Yeah, I'm the same way. I'm in the middle of my fourth or fifth playthrough. I bet a lot of people on the forum have played it because they became Bioware fans via KOTOR. Great game.

If anyone's looking to collaborate on one, I also would totally want to help design it, and maybe be a co-GM or something. I'm leery of running it myself because I'm always strapped for time, but I want to see this game at some point even if I end up being the one to make it. I've never run a game yet though, and I'd rather see a more talented GM do it.

But I also think, since ME2 is only a few months away, it would probably be better to hold off on working on it seriously it until that comes out so all the new information and what-have-you can be incorporated into the game.

22. Sawn_Kassal

Sawn_Kassal Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 29, 2008
    Damn...this thing got big lol. I agree, I like alot of AU RPs myself. I've had one in my head forever: a Phantom Menace AU based on Qui-Gon actually surviving the duel with Maul. Probably would made quite a difference in our beloved Anakin's life and Obi-Wan's as well wouldn't you think?

I also had an idea for an another where Obi-Wan gave in during AOTC and joins Dooku on the dark side when he was being held captive on Geonosis.

23. LordTroepfchen

LordTroepfchen Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2007
    I read a while how difficult it would be to leave the known times, eras and designs known in SW and took this as a challenge. Merged with my plan to do one final game, that is my final GM outing before I take my backpack and travel for a few years I developed Millions of Voices (/a name I actually own to Winged, who is so kind to allow me to use it). A game set in the SW End Times. Basically the final days of the galaxy itself. Set in the far (undefined) future of the Star Wars galaxy it shows the outcome of a war between Jedi and Sith and technology yet unknown to the galaxy and the question if in a war any party is the "good one" . . . all of this will only be for background. While primary it will be a game for a very small group struggling for survival in a galaxy collapsing . . .

Well, sort of a dream project of mine. And if I don´t do it now, I´ll probably never will . . .

24. LordTroepfchen

LordTroepfchen Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2007
    So, circumstances force me to double post, but I wanted to meditate a little about all these interesting projects around here . . .

I have lurked it a bit, after your rather aggressive advertisment of the game and I must say I like it, but find a game about starfighter-pilots in itself not terribly thrilling. There is a dogfight in almost every game out there and point is . . . no matter how well written your game is, no matter how great the background plot might be . . . I do not enjoy the leement of Starfighter Action that much that I would join it. So, that was honest. But then again, what do polite answers help you. Intervention is a good game. It just isn´t too attractive to me.

Concerning a Mass Effect game . . . I played Part One for half an hour or so, and surely tha world is good for the development into a game. There are novels and the like outhere, too.

About Dune I said my bit.

And I told you everybody would think you´re doing an Aria remake, Fin. Even though I know this will be a much darker ride . . . :p

Surprising few SW games are in the making.

25. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    In my defense, Aria was more about some ridiculously meta final plot twists that... I didn't get to pull off.:p

And as for SW games in the making, I'm not even sure if the majority would warrant discussion here. They've got something of a built in audience, all things considered, and only those few that do something radically different would require serious consideration as to whether anyone would play them.