main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Reference Interest Measurement Thread

Discussion in 'Role Playing Resource' started by Sawn_Kassal, Nov 13, 2009.

1. Heavy Isotope

Heavy Isotope Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 10, 2013
    Struggling to write an intro for the intro thread. I have this great story in mind but not sure how to kick it off! -.-

2. JaMojo

JaMojo Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 24, 2014
    I've got an itch to run a Star Wars campaign with some friends of mine and I'm trying to come up with a great idea. Here's what I'm thinking.

Around the year 425 ABY, the Galaxy is largely at peace. In recent years, there has been a widespread interest the history of the Galaxy where knowing history is "in style". Through an almost random series of events that some would say could only have been guided by the Force, several new treasure hunters are forced to group up and eventually become the galaxy's most renown treasure hunters. Ancient Weapons, Lost Armor, and Powerful Artifacts! They find it all!

What do you guys think?

Reynar_Tedros likes this.
  3. Heavy Isotope

Oct 10, 2013
    Sounds cool actually, but what do they do with the treasures? Or is the story based around being a treasure hunter?

4. JaMojo

Feb 24, 2014
    It depends on what treasure they find. Some of it will be cool weapons or armor or useful artifacts. Some of it will be non-useful items but still interesting and sellable. I'm thinking the first item will be Revan's Mask and they'll give it to someone and it will make them famous. But they can give it to whoever they want and their reputation will depend on who they give it to. They could sell it on the Black Market for a ton of credits and infamy, or give it to the Jedi Council or a museum or something and get fame but less credits. From then on, they'll have a choice of what items they go after. I might bring in an overarching storyline later. I have things in the beginning that could turn into longer storyline if the players want it. Or they can just keep going after items, leveling their characters. That way I can end it whenever I need to. "You found the item and sold it and you get more items and become famous and live a long life, game over"

5. Heavy Isotope

Oct 10, 2013
    It does sound like a good idea, I would recommend allowing the players to go through that first expedition. :3

6. JaMojo

Feb 24, 2014
    I plan on it going through many missions, but alas I'm sure Darth Real Life will strike at some point.

Heavy Isotope likes this.
  7. Heavy Isotope

Oct 10, 2013
    You could try doing it episodically, the first mission being one that lasts for a few months and the next being of similar length, depending on the post frequency.

8. Space_Wolf

Space_Wolf Jedi Master star 3

Mar 13, 2007
    Would anyone be interested in a Middle-earth based RPG? I would really like to play one (just writing fan fic gets a bit lonesome sometimes) and I'd thought I'd ask here before I went ahead and started working on it. A lot of the forum based RPGs I've visited seem to be inactive so I thought I'd ask here. I have not GMed before, though and I've not played RPGs online (mainly because I can never seem to find ones which interest me). I have played DnD, Pathfinder and Star Wars D20 based systems while I was at uni.

9. Heavy Isotope

Oct 10, 2013
    I think it'd work well as long as you give the players an objective once they've all come together, to know? I think middle earth would be an awesome setting/story!

Were you planning to do it d20 or tabletop style or just a narrative?

10. greyjedi125

greyjedi125 Chosen One star 6

Apr 29, 2002
    Welcome to the RPF, @Space_Wolf. :)

I just thought I'd mention that perhaps you should consider contacting @Saintheart. He's been running the only D&D game here in the RPF since 2008. ( better believe it! )

http://boards.theforce.net/threads/a-tide-of-flames-a-d20-dungeons-dragons-adventure.28108372/][/url]A Tide of Flames is a d20 based game, with a loyal following of both players and ritual lurkers :p

Saint is an awesome GM and member of this community, so he might have some useful tips and suggestions for you. Otherswise, the general practice is to simply get involved in a game you like and get your feet wet ( have fun while learning the ropes ). A War of Kings, Bloodmoon, FEED, and Intervention are the most active RP's thus far, with many more in the works from what I hear. If you wish to join any of these, just contact the respective GM. *Note: A Tide of Flames is in its closing stages.

I hope you enjoy your time with us.

Excelsior,

grey [face_peace]

11. Space_Wolf

Space_Wolf Jedi Master star 3

Mar 13, 2007
    I'll check them out. I have seen the DnD one on here, but wasn't sure about joining since it is far advanced. I'd like to join a game which is just starting out because then I thought I'd be able to get into it better instead of just barging in. It'll probably be a good thing to play in one of the games that are running before I try to start one. I'm quite out of practice with RPing and it would make it less likely that the game stops before it's begun.

greyjedi125 likes this.
  12. greyjedi125

greyjedi125 Chosen One star 6

Apr 29, 2002
    Don't be discouraged if they are already running. As far as I can tell, most GM's would gladly welcome new players. Both FEED and Blood moon are recent starts. Intervention is always taking new players as is War of Kings. I have little doubt any of these GMs would have trouble accommodating you. :)

13. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    I like it. Sounds to me like National Treasure meets Star Wars. You could have rival treasure hunters going after the same loot. Traveling to the far reaches of the galaxy for a legend that may or may not be real. Meeting new and interesting characters that help or hinder you along the way. Creatures never before encountered guarding what's been buried there for millennia. Sounds like a great idea to me.

14. JaMojo

Feb 24, 2014
    Wow, you just gave me a lot of ideas. I really haven't planned further than the first mission, but I will definitely use some of those ideas in further missions. Mostly, I was thinking single artifacts for the most part, but a whole huge, hidden treasure room that you have to solve puzzles for would be awesome.

Reynar_Tedros likes this.
  15. BLemelisk

BLemelisk Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 19, 2003
    JaMojo I like the idea also, I'm needing a game here mine all died off. I like the group of players working together to solve things.

So who here's writing an OP for a Star Wars version of True Detective? I know someone has thought about it... :p

16. DarkLordoftheFins

DarkLordoftheFins Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 2, 2007
    Actually I did . . . sort of . . . not exactly a Star Wars version, but the show made me think . . .

17. BLemelisk

Aug 19, 2003
    Very cool. I'd be very interested.

TD's characters' philosophies got me thinking about connections to Force philosophy.

18. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    I'm working on something different, and who knows if I'll have time for it - I'm doing a sci-fi zombie game without zombies of any kind, in a setting and IP that might surprise folks.

BLemelisk likes this.
  19. Mr.Krypton

Mr.Krypton Jedi Youngling

Sep 20, 2012
    Random Idea Spattering on the walls:

1.Story about the Moffs that ran the Inner Core of the galaxy during the Imperial years. (Game of Thrones, House of Cardish)

2. FINALLY: A game about the Imperial Intelligence Agency

3. Game about a San Francisco police department having to keep the peace between humans, robots, and aliens in the city. (Eureka-inspired)

4. The Clone Wars era - Comedy about a group of droids that have gained sentience/self-awareness

5. A game based on the online game League of Legends about the behind the scenes lives of the champions.

6. Period mini-game about Greek/Roman era confrontations. I actually want to bring this even to the mongol age.

20. SirakRomar

SirakRomar Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 30, 2007
    1. Sounds good. Might be even better in the month after Palpy's death

2. Intruiging

3. Need to know more

4. Comedy is hard. Players are usually not constantly funny.

5. I don't know the franchise

6. Who would we play?

And I would be game for dark Fins very dark "True Jedi" :)

21. BLemelisk

Aug 19, 2003
  22. Mr.Krypton

Mr.Krypton Jedi Youngling

Sep 20, 2012
    Just got off work and after the wilderness week I've had my brain is ready to flush these ideas out.

1. Well my idea is to start the game sometime after the Death Star explosion as Moff Tarkin is dead at that point and he was kind of a leading Moff. Palpatine's death would definitely be part of the game in the middle, after the first act, but I do kind of want players to have interactions with Palpatine, Vader, and the usual suspects. But there would also be a goal part of the character sheet: Something that one's character wants to achieve or something that drives them and then I would role play with the characters on how to get it. Not to mention that there are SOOOOO many things that can happen to a rebellion era moff: Assassination attempts, unrest in their provinces(or planets), usurpations, and the large number of personal issues that a Moff would have to deal with like making allies and controlling their enemies.

So yea, i definitely think there is some stuff here for a small cast of players to enjoy.

2. I'm not really sure on the Imp Intel game, so ... yea. :/

3. Well it would be set in the not too distant future as aliens have arrived and intelligent robots have rebelled and formed their own communities. The police station would have to deal with the confrontations and crimes that can occur when these circumstances present itself, but then there would also be a large background plot (sinister in nature) that the officers would have to eventually figure out: The cool part is that I would place a time limit on figuring out the mystery(ies) and if the players didnt then they wont be able to prevent the disasters and have to deal with the consequences.

4. Kind of at the same place as I am with the Intel game. :/

5. So league of legends is a MOBA game, but it has a lore behind it for the setting and each of the champions( beings that compete in the league). It even has newspapers from the universe that can be seen. Its all very interesting, but I suppose I would have to gauge interest on it at a higher level to see if players would be interested. But there's so much material.

6. So the period piece mini games would be a series of wars, conflicts, and other notable events from the Greek/Roman time periods. The players, in my head, would play any character (Except for things like a player choosing to play Julius Caesar and going crazy) and would live(or die) in the events as they come and go. So, once again in my head, a situation role play of the week may be the volcanic explosion of Pompeii. Players would role play through the event and be able to actually place themselves in the situation and try to live through it. Or role playing certain epic battles like the Siege of Troy, Battle of Marathon, Battle of Thermopylae, fight against or for Scipio and Hannibal. These would be mini games, I'm thinking each player would post about 10-15 posts to finish their storylines.

So yea, that's where I am. Though I am working on the Moff game as we chat.

23. Heavy Isotope

Oct 10, 2013
    Love the idea #2!!!! :3

24. BLemelisk

Aug 19, 2003
    The Moff game reminds me of the first game that I ever played around these parts, so naturally I'm interested in what you've got going for it so far.

Imperial Intelligence has potential too, although I'm assuming they would be largely present in a Game of Thrones-ey game about the Moffs also.

25. Losaand-Vreste

Losaand-Vreste Jedi Youngling

Mar 3, 2014
    I have a couple in mind.

SW: The Triple War
    Set during the timeline shown in TCW (2008-2014), Anakin Skywalker is framed as being a Seperatist conspirator and is hunted down, rumor stating he was executed somewhere in the Outer Rim. Months later, a dark-helmeted figure brandishing a blue lightsaber begins attacking both Republic and CIS outposts, freeing the planets from either's control and allowing them to choose whom to follow: Republic, Seperatist, or his own personal Blackstorm Consortium. This man calls himself Lord Espaa Valorum, and cites Skywalker as a personal hero and believes his exile was unjust.

SW: Infection
    You are but one member of a Fel Imperial or Galactic Alliance reconaissance envoy to investigate an old Imperial base dating to Palpatine's Reign, on a relatively isolated world in the Outer Rim. What you did not know was that what was housed there were the remnants of Project I71A, codenamed Blackwing. A viral weapon, parasitic and able to reanimate its host upon death by assuming control of its nervous system. Can you feel the symptoms? The fever? Perhaps you are already infected.

OdRevus likes this.