main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Reference Interest Measurement Thread

Discussion in 'Role Playing Resource' started by Sawn_Kassal, Nov 13, 2009.

1. DarkLordoftheFins

DarkLordoftheFins Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 2, 2007
    I wonder . . . does anyone remember a game called The Forever War?

I am thinking about a remake. Got the GMs blessing and I always felt it died to early. So would there be anyone intersted in it?

Darth Dreadwar likes this.
  2. Rodrigo Alves

Rodrigo Alves Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 9, 2015
    Interesting, tag me and i'll join

3. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    So I've had myself a field day and written three separate OPs for potential games, and would like some input on which one sounds the most exciting. Rather than post the entire OPs here, I'll simply post the introduction scene for each and gauge interest that way. Please let me know what you think about them, and don't hold back!

Far Cry: An Island Survival Horror Adventure

Spring break, 2016. For some, it is a time of freedom, an act of mercy, a most welcome break from the ceaseless grind of the day-to-day struggle. Students throw their books in the air at the arrival of their week-long recess. Teachers relieved by the peace given to them for the next seven days. Workers, employees, employers, cashing in their vacation time and spending it however they see fit. The friendly sun beams down on the welcoming earth, beckoning in a new season of warmth and joy.​

For a select few individuals from various walks of life, this spring break in particular will be one to remember. A vacation they'll certainly never forget... if they survive it.​

A plane ticket to Portugal is firmly in your possession. Whether you're going alone or bringing along family or friends, you rest easy knowing that the next five days of your life will be spent in one of the most beautiful cities in the world. Nothing could possibly remove you from this bliss.​

So. Today is the day. Are you ready? Got everything packed? Told your families goodbye, or to hurry because you don't want to be late? The plane's boarding soon. All that's left to do... is get on.​

Black Moon Gulch: A Supernatural Western

North Texas
    The 19th Century

The kid paused for a moment, looked down at his drink and asked the question he'd been waiting to ask all night. “You ever been down to Black Moon Gulch?”​

The old man's head didn't move. His face was still, as if he'd been expecting those words. He took a sip from his glass of whiskey, and set it back down on the bar. “Yeah,” he said finally. “I been there.”​

The kid perked up, surprised he even got that much out of the conversation. “I heard stories. 'Bout all the funny things that happen there.”​

“Hm. Funny.”​

“I heard a man been hanged there, they say his body was still for hours. And when they finally come to cut him down from the tree, he just pulled out a knife and cut himself down, then killed the men come to get his body. Like the noose didn't do nothin' to him. You ever heard o' that?”​

The old man shook his head, took another drink.​

“And it ain't just that. I heard a bunch other things, too. Someone told me they seen a man turn into a wolf. Just right there! One second he was just a normal man, then fur started comin' out of his skin and-”​

The old man put his index finger up to his lips.​

“...and,” the kid whispered, “and he grew twice the size he was! With fangs and yellow eyes and claws instead of hands. You ever seen somethin' like that?”​

The old man responded by taking another drink.​

The kid sighed. “I'm leavin' in the mornin'. I wanna see it for myself.”​

“Black Moon Gulch ain't no place for a boy like you to get mixed up in. That town belongs to the Devil himself.”​

“I ain't scared.”​

“Boy, you don't even know what scared is. But you go there, you sure as hell gonna find out. Stay away if you know what's good for ya.”​

The kid pursed his lips, took a swig of his bourbon. “You survived, didn't you?”​

There was a pause. “No, kid. I didn't survive.”​

The young man stared at his elder for a moment. Then he took one last drink and stood up from the bar and put on his hat. “Thanks for the talk. I hope to see you again someday. I'm sure I'll have some stories to share with you next time.” And with that he tossed some money on the bar and walked out the door into the frigid night air.​

“God help you, kid. God help you.”​

The Forgotten: A Star Wars Murder Mystery

“I've got a bad feeling about this.”​

The young detective looked at his older partner, a human man of nearly sixty years with greying hair, a scruffy beard, and a voice that sounded as if it'd been devoid of any sort of excitement for decades. “Have you ever had a good feeling about one of these?” he asked with a raised brow.​

The two men stood in a dark alley in one of the many shady districts of Coruscant, lit only by various neon lights adorning the rundown walls on each side. The wind was soft but cold. The older man pulled the neck of his coat up higher around his face as he and his partner observed the dead body that lay before them. “What do we know so far?”​

“Well,” the young detective stepped towards the body and knelt down beside it. “Twi'lek female. We pulled an ID. Nineteen years old.”​

“What's her name?” The older man stayed put several yards away, observing from a distance.​

“Shereen Vex. She's a dancer at one of the cantinas around here.”​

“Any witnesses?”​

“Nothing yet. Guy who called it in just said he was in his apartment when he heard a scream through his window. Came outside and found the body just like it is now. We talked to him, that's all he's got.”​

“Which cantina does she work?”​

“Hop's.”​

“Hop's. Okay. We know the C.O.D.?”​

The young detective looked down at his gloved hands and stood up. He sighed. “This is where it gets interesting, Red.”​

“Great.”​

“There's only one wound. A circular hole burned through her abdomen. In and out, clean through.”​

“No blood?”​

“No blood.”​

“Clean through.”​

A nod.​

An expletive.​

“Yep.”​

“Who else has wind of this?”​

“No one right now. Just a matter of time.”​

“And we're stuck with it.”​

“Mm.”​

The older man sighed. “Have we contacted the Order?”​

“Waiting for a response.”​

Red shook his head. “This is a time bomb.”​

The young man shrugged. “Time's up.”​

Rodrigo Alves and spacelady like this.
  4. NickLitYouAFlame

NickLitYouAFlame Jedi Master star 5

Feb 27, 2007
    I feel like that Murder Mystery game has a lot of juice. It would make a really nice small, perhaps, shorter game. Definitely intriguing.

So, I've got a little bit written for the beginning of a game I've been toying with for years now. The idea is that the focus is considerably smaller scale. A sort of realistic look at war, as seen from the eyes of the individuals directly affected by it.

---
    A burgeoning galactic power, unburdened by significant enemies or resistance, saw untold prosperity. With the promises of safety and order, they expanded across the galaxy like wave. This Republic’s fuel, was an idea of unity; was hope. But with all great societies, as wealth and power came so too did corruption. The idea that had started this age of growth, became twisted by greed. Expansion continued unchecked into the wildest, and most resource laden, edge of the galaxy.

After many years, the Republic, spread far too thin, became unable to govern the edges of their territory in the Outer Rim. Rather than bankrupt the core trying to police the galaxy, the Republic abandoned their outer colonies, leaving no infrastructure for regime transfer and throwing the Outer Rim into chaos.

Whole systems were ravaged by civil wars. Corporations, previously held in check by Republic law, became free to sap the life out of mining and logging worlds. Piracy became the rule, rather than the exception. And on the edge, a looming presence from the depths Wild Space slowly crept over this abandoned region. A dark power, fueled by the chaos, destruction, and suffering, wormed its way into the hearts and minds of the disenfranchised.

The Republic, hearing of a power growing as fast as they had, saw a true threat for the first time in hundreds of years.

As the indoctrination of the Outer Rim became complete, the dark force that had formed into a Federation of Systems slowly began to push into the Mid Rim, discontent and hungry for more. The darkness that enveloped the Federation could not thrive without consuming the anguish and suffering they had initially felt in the Rim. They were pushing the galaxy towards war.
    ---

Characters would be split between civilian and military, but all would be experiencing a first-hand account of the horrors of galactic war. My idea is to explore the motivations of either fighting or not, and the consequences of both.

spacelady likes this.
  5. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    That actually sounds pretty large scale. I'm curious as to what exactly is the dark force taking over the galaxy, and who's fighting who in this particular war.

6. NickLitYouAFlame

Feb 27, 2007
    The overarching concept itself is certainly large-scale, but in terms of what each player would be dealing with and what I as a GM would be writing would be very specific to each character. I don't know if this is just wishful thinking, but I want to focus on the idea that every character would have their own preconceived notion of both side, which wouldn't necessarily be true. Basically create a personal propaganda for each player, so that from an individual's perspective their side is the "good guys." And in reality both sides are manipulative and arguably bad.

7. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    Sounds good to me!

8. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    So, I've been reading a lot of comics and watching a lot of Daredevil lately, with the natural result being I'm considering trying my hand at yet another one of those always intriguing but frustratingly short lived superhero games. So, I guess the interest I'm gauging is twofold: would folks be interested in that sort of thing, and if so, would there be interest in using the (helpfully open source) Mutants & Masterminds system (which is basically a simplifed, one-die fits all version of DnD, but for superheroes)?

My concept stuff is all fairly nascent so feedback will be taken into active consideration, thanks. Mostly I just want to get back on the wagon, I've spent too long letting larger TFN concerns distract me from my favorite board pastime.

9. NickLitYouAFlame

Feb 27, 2007
    I loved the last superhero game I played, which was x-men.

I think it definitely depends on powering down some of the stronger heroes to allow the game to survive. Having several characters as strong as Superman would be way overkill unless they were all dealing with separate world ending threats, which might stretch you thin.

But if you can do a Daredevil/Jessica Jones style game and keep everyone fairly close it could work really well.

10. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    I'm always down for a good superhero game, though I tend to balk when confronted with anything involving dice and/or numbering systems. I've never played in a game involving a DnD rule set, as it just never seemed fun to me. I like writing, not number crunching. But I'm not totally opposed to the idea either, and if something comes along that convinces me to give it a shot, I'll keep an open mind (and expect lots of questions).

11. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    That balance concern is precisely why I'm toying with the potential albatross of a formal system - M&M is designed to keep four to six players on roughly equal footing regardless of what type of superhero they want to play as. That said, it obviously weighs things down behind the scenes.

I'm also leaning towards some setting that would encourage PCs to work as a team, rather than pursuing multiple tangents (at least at first), while still allowing some diversity of abilities; your X-Men, your Avengers, JLA, that sort of thing.

12. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    Well if there's a genre that's enticing enough to persuade me to figure out the workings of a d20 system, it's the superhero genre. I can certainly understand the need to keep players balanced with all those abilities, and it clearly worked well for Tide of Flames. I'd be on board whether you decided to go with it or not.

Will it be a licensed game or original?

13. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    I haven't quite decided, honestly. I've gone licensed for my previous attempts and I think it worked out okay, but with that route there's a greater risk of someone really wanting to play as, like, Superman, while everyone else wants to be Blue Beetle and the power levels just don't gel well. With original stuff I have the added advantage of getting to just ask folks to pick a power suite if I use a system, but the disadvantage is that where it's easy to fit a custom character into a licensed system, the reverse usually just nets lots of Captain Ersatz (I'm Arachno-Guy, with the proportionate abilities of an... uh... arachnid!). So, again, could break either way.

14. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    This is just me, but the original route seems like the way to go. Gives you and the players more freedom from a storytelling perspective, what with not having to adhere to set storylines and preestablished personalities. And like you said, it's easier to create a balance of power that way. Just have to trust your players to resist the urge to pilfer from the Marvel database.

Ramza likes this.
  15. Hammurabi

Hammurabi Jedi Master star 4

Jan 14, 2007

It always depends on the systems, but a lot of great systems aren't all that crunchy – the current D&D successfully simplified a lot of mechanics, and it's easy to get going once you get the hang of it. 9/10 rolls are 1d20+x. It gets a little more complicated when you're the GM.

The issue from there is that many of these systems tend towards tactical gameplay because of the math underpinnings. This isn't a problem if that's your bag, but for a player interested in narrative, you'll have to push against the natural tendencies of most systems. But then again, there are other systems (specifically Apocalypse World, Dungeon World, their fam) that strive to focus more on narrative drama and often succeed. Dungeon World's often described as "What I thought D&D would be like" by many newcomers who might have been put off by D&D's emphasis on mechanics.

I've actually been thinking about launching a roll20 campaign in Apoc World or Monster of the Week, which was actually why I dropped by for a look in this thread. Not happening yet though.

16. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008