main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Reference Interest Measurement Thread

Discussion in 'Role Playing Resource' started by Sawn_Kassal, Nov 13, 2009.

1. Darth Rozic

Darth Rozic Jedi Master star 3

Dec 27, 2015
    I'm not planning to post a new RP in the foreseeable future but I have come up with an idea for a RP based on The Elemental Stones Saga. Don't worry if you don't know what the Elemental Stones is (I'm sure 99% of you don't) because you won't need to know anything about it for teh RP. But the basic plot can be summarised in a few words: demon fighting, high fantasy-ish awesomeness. But in all seriousness, basically magical people called Elementals (inventive name I know) fight a massive Demon army for control of a lost continent. There's more to the story than that and if anyone wants I'll post a proper piece outlining the story in greater detail. So is anyone interested?

Dioskouros likes this.
  2. Darth Rozic

Dec 27, 2015
    PLEASE!! (Although I should probably get ontop of BBH before thinking about another RP;))

Darth_Elu likes this.
  3. Darth_Elu

Darth_Elu Chosen One star 7

Jan 2, 2003
    Darth Rozic Working on the mechanics as we speak. ;)

(But yes, that is totally advised regarding BBH :p )

Darth Rozic likes this.
  4. Darth Rozic

Dec 27, 2015
    Darth_Elu looking forward to playing!!
    (I'll PM you for the combo in BBH now:D )

Darth_Elu likes this.
  5. Kal'ael Zar'an

Kal'ael Zar'an Jedi Youngling

Apr 24, 2017
    Greeting to all,

It was suggested to me that I post here regarding an idea I have for an RPG. Hopefully, I'm doing this right.

My idea was based on the Seyugi Dervish, a secretive group of assassins in the Star Wars Universe. A player wouldn't need to know much about them. I've put the basics in the opening post. The RPG would hopefully span multiple installments that would follow a larger story line, with smaller plots and assignments in each. The players would be tasked with missions as the story line progresses.

Is more information needed? Am I doing this right?

Thanks to all.

Darth_Elu likes this.
  6. Darth_Elu

Darth_Elu Chosen One star 7

Jan 2, 2003
    Ah, the Seyugi Dervish. An interesting group worthy of more fleshing out for sure! I have them, as one part of a new whole in my game: 'The Shado Varmiri' but an entire game based solely upon the Dervish would be very interesting I admit! I am curious to see what you do with it.

I see you mentioned that you read the rules, this is good. As long as you have and taken a look at a few other RPGs to get a good idea of how to set things up, you should be alright. :) I wish you luck in your RPG endeavor!

My only other suggestion is this. Being new to the RPF, I would also advise joining another game or two to get your name out there so others can recognize you more. Experience on the other side (as a player) is also the best teacher for aiding you in your own GMship here. :)

HanSolo29 and Kal'ael Zar'an like this.
  7. Kal'ael Zar'an

Kal'ael Zar'an Jedi Youngling

Apr 24, 2017
    Thanks.

I actually do have some RP experience as a player, but I will definitely have to get my name out. Thank you for the advice. :)

8. Dioskouros

Dioskouros Jedi Youngling

Mar 16, 2017
    Suggestion, Kal'ael Zar'an : join us at The Shado Varmiri :D the Seyugi are big there. Dervishes needed

9. KingInTheNorth5

KingInTheNorth5 Jedi Youngling

Jun 25, 2016
    Would anyone be interested in either

a.) A DC roleplaying game based on the classic twist that pits JLA members against each other being turned on its head.
    b.) A very DnD like high fantasy game based off of a campaign I have been toying with based around Naval and Political gameplay.

Cheers~

Darth Osnil and QueenSabe7 like this.
  10. Darth Osnil

Darth Osnil Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 29, 2016

I'm in for A if I can be Batman. . .

11. Jax Nova

Jax Nova Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 22, 2014
    Have an idea I have been tossing around for a while. It would be a medieval fantasy RP with touches of steampunk/techno stuff. Here is the opener. Thought I would post it to see if anyone thought they would want to give it a go.

Nikola Tesla was a Serbian-American inventor who came to be known as something of a "Mad Scientist" to the world... at least to this world.

In another dimension there live a mystical people known as the Nareim. Three thousand one hundred and twenty seven years ago in Nareim history an age of great learning sprang up, seemingly out of nowhere. The people began creating technological devices far beyond their medieval capabilities. Along with these devices, however, came the greatest threat the Nareim had ever faced. An unnamed enemy, cloaked in shadow, emerged from a strange portal on the far reaches of the map. A portal, not unlike the one left unrecorded in Nareim historical accounts. The Nareim portal, however, had only been used once and sat atop the pinnacle of the castle of Nareim's King and supreme ruler. Legend claimed that a stranger built the tower and device then used it to vanish, never to be seen again. He left behind only his teachings and his machine.

As the weeks, months, and years progressed, and the strange new enemy pressed hard on the Nareim boarders, the teachings and very existence of this strange traveler were lost in the pages of untold history. There were some who carried on his teachings, mostly preserving the more powerful weapons in an attempt to gain an edge over the ruthless invaders from the far reaches of the map, known only as the Grauls. This name given for the one and only sound they are reported to make upon dying. Their hissing voices sounding reptilian and eerily cold.

The Grauls, though easily outmatched in a one to one battle, possessed great numbers and beat upon the Nareim like water on stone. Time passed and pursuit of knowledge fell to pursuit of survival. Hundreds and thousands of years passed by until the leaders of the Nareim saw no other option for survival but to use the machine atop their ruler's tower. They were the last of the humans in this world and the Grauls were bent on wiping out every last one of them. According to legend the strange device atop the tower of the castle not only could send people away but could also bring people into their realm. Upon activating the device it was uncontrollable and randomly transported unspecified numbers of individuals into the new realm and would send their location to those watching over the machine with a strange electronic projection.

The rulers of the Nareim organized tournament for these newcomers. Many would fail and spend a servants life in the castle and city of Nareim, most would be sent to war against their will and fall in battle against the Grauls or be "retained" for marriage to add new genetics to the failing gene pool of the shrinking Nareim people... but a few would rise to greatness among the Nareim and be named Guardians of the people. The tournaments continued and the longer they did the more base and void of moral conviction they became. Three hundred and sixty eight years later the device atop the tower surged with a greater pulls than ever witnessed and a new group of potential "Guardians" were brought to Nareim lands. This group was different, however. While most arrived in Nareim lands with little to no skill for battle, these arrived with skill and cunning that made for the greatest tournament in Nareim history and perhaps... Perhaps the annihilation of the dreaded Grauls. This section of history, however, is yet to be written.

Join the Nareim... or even the Grauls... if it be your choosing. Fight to save the human race and perhaps even redeem it from itself.

12. LordTroepfchen

LordTroepfchen Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2007
    Project Sherlock

I just went through the old boards (what was saved on my hard disk) and found a crazy idea by a friend of mine that I believe would make an excellent RP setting.

A future crime fighting force that is assisted by a brilliant AI that is called "Project Sherlock", which helps the policemen through it's inhuman abilities of analysis and deduction.

The players would be the Dr. Watsons in a tale of crime solving with an alien and brilliant computer helping them. Also an intelligence without a body or human instinct, therefore also limited in it's own way.

What do people think? Too bizarre? Good idea? I would like to know if I fell in love with a bad idea

13. galactic-vagabond422

galactic-vagabond422 Force Ghost star 4

Jul 11, 2009
    That reminds me of a show I watched when I was a kid called 'Sherlock Holmes in the 22nd Century'. Except the draw back was that you're dealing with a Victorian man in a future society and yes of course Lestrade was a woman, and Watson was a robot.

14. DarkLordoftheFins

DarkLordoftheFins Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 2, 2007
    Investigation games seem a bit out of style, but what would be better, but a Sherlock Holmes game set in the future with an AI to turn around that trend. I mean "real life"-games were out of style, too. Did not hold you back.

That said, I would love to see what Moriarty looks like in a works like this. Go for it!

Mitth_Fisto likes this.
  15. Mitth_Fisto

Mitth_Fisto Chosen One star 6

Sep 29, 2005
    I could definitely be intrigued by the fiduciary and inferential of such an Elementary good game :D

16. Master Vo

Master Vo Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2017
    I am about to release a D&D Game if anybody is Interested.

galactic-vagabond422 likes this.
  17. Master Vo

Mar 19, 2017
    I'm definitely Not planning to release an RPG soon, but would anyone be interested in a Game Of Thrones RPG?

18. twowolves

twowolves Jedi Master star 4

Oct 6, 2013
    Meh. Unfortunately, most D&D games for me always devolve into high magic games. The d20 rule set, especially for 3.5 edition, skews towards high-level characters, and by that point, it becomes a matter of, oh, let's go see what new magical items we acquire this time! I prefer low-magic, high-fantasy where it's more gritty and realistic, and magical items are a bit rarer (so that +1 short sword you find is actually worth hanging onto--and most likely has a story behind it because magic!) and each has a name and history. There shouldn't be such things as mage shops. Ridiculous. There were alchemists, herbalists, apothecaries, pharmacists, but no mage shops in 15th century Europe.

I actually had an idea for a Star Wars campaign based around the Architects, and was writing it out using Saga Edition rules for the D20 set. Basically, players are mucking about on Tatooine and uncover a petty smuggling ring illegally selling antiquities to tourists. They trace it back to a temple built into the side of a mountain that was recently exposed by a landslide, and inside, they find tantalizing traces of the Architects--the same pre-Rakatan race that built the Corellian System and Centerpoint Station. So I guess that would mean this is firmly in the Legends section since it draws heavily on the EU...

Anyways, they find an artifact that acts like a sextant/holomap and they trace the star formation/pattern displayed to Endor's Gate, and get lead on an adventure after saving a woman trying to play amateur archaeologist who turns out to be the runaway daughter of a minor politician who in turn rewards the players for keeping his misguided daughter safe. When they go to leave, of course, she's stowed away and ends up tagging along and keeps reminding the characters of the fortune and glory waiting for them if they follow this "treasure map." After the usual wacky adventures against ol' Uncle Palpatine and his Inquisitorius attempting to snatch up ancient artifacts a la Hitler in the Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark, they wind up at Endor's Gate, which for those of you who who don't know, is a massive black hole that has strange things happen around it.

Turns out, it's a massive wormhole to a star system far into the Unknown regions where the Architects have married the Force with technology and the results are something akin to Star Gate's naqqada technology complete with staff weapons (only instead of plasma, it's Force energy concentrated and weaponized). The world they crash land on ends up being a mix of the high fantasy elements (castles, fortifications--think medieval Europe)--only with these Force-imbued weapons, and trained Force-sensitives running around as guardians of this temple where there is a massive Tsil crystal that has been worshipped for millennia, and used to enhance and focus the Force and use it for world building (hence, why the Architects were known as the Architects, which should be even more impressive considering this is only a depot world, and this is only one such crystal the Architects used. The native population will probably be a mix of humans and near-human races with an occasional alien thrown in here and there. Also, the crystal, being that huge and that old, is dangerously cunning and intelligent, and may or may not react well to the characters' intrusion depending on their actions.

Of course, the Empire would want to weaponize it, as would any Sith or other darksiders running around, so between fighting off the Empire to keep their hands off of it, and the crazy religious zealots guarding the crystal, and trying to get off the planet, back through the wormhole and home, there should be enough adventure there to keep going for a while. The ultimate goal is to get back through the wormhole and destroy the Inquisitor hot on their trail so that the Empire remains ignorant of the existence of this world and the existence of the ginormous Tsil. I already had the first several hours mapped and written up with maps and everything; however, it may be fun to run that here at some point to refine it...

Mitth_Fisto likes this.
  19. LordTroepfchen

Apr 9, 2007
    That sounds like a thrilling game, we recently talked about more adventure oriented games here and I believe there was an appetite ... but be careful not to spoil too much of your plot!

20. Master Vo

Mar 19, 2017
    Is anyone interested in a WH 40K set game? I would love to run/play in one of those but I feel it would attract 0 attention, seeing as though the lore of it is pretty complicated and has a lot going on I wouldn't be surprised to see people not playing because of the complication... would anyone here be interested in one though?

21. DarkLordoftheFins

DarkLordoftheFins Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 2, 2007
    Would someone be up for a short horror game for the Halloween season? I have a game in my head that would play out in three scenes, which is kind of a mystery/horror thing. But I wondered if people are interested.

So what do you think?

22. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    I'm always up for a horror game! [face_devil]

23. TheSithGirly

TheSithGirly Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2007
    I miss horror games. I was pondering the idea of a Victorian set horror-crime-thriller myself. Just not sure if we have the crowd for something like that. Maybe I give it a try ... got a working title already. The Strange Case of Ethan Farnsworth.

LordTroepfchen likes this.
  24. LordTroepfchen

Apr 9, 2007
    Sounds intruiging TSG. I would love to see a historical setting and always up for a good horror game!

HanSolo29 likes this.
  25. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Ditto on both.

If you ever decide to launch it, I'm in!