main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Reference Interest Measurement Thread

Discussion in 'Role Playing Resource' started by Sawn_Kassal, Nov 13, 2009.

1. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    A character driven game set in a post-apocalyptic world? You're tempting me here! :p

BobaMatt likes this.
  2. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    The Stand: The RPG is a concept I'd certainly give a look.

HanSolo29 likes this.
  3. RachelTyrell

RachelTyrell Jedi Master star 3

Feb 15, 2009
    Well, then let me think of it a bit ... indeed The Stand would be a source I had in mind, with a little more survival in it. Getting food, medical supplies and stuff like this. Give me a few weeks to get something together and we might see what I come up with!

Reynar_Tedros likes this.
  4. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    So I really have an itch for a Western game with supernatural elements. Not over-the-top where everyone and their mother is a vampire or a werewolf and it loses that Old West vibe, but a Weird Western nonetheless. I teased one in some Resource thread a while back but I can't find the post now. Just an idea. Not sure if I'd have time to run it, but I've had an itch for a while now and I might start scribbling some notes soon. Would anyone be interested?

5. TheSithGirly

TheSithGirly Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2007
    Weird West is interesting, but I feel it is one of these cases where the setting can be a blessing or a curse. It is really about the plot, I'd say.

BobaMatt likes this.
  6. LordTroepfchen

LordTroepfchen Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2007
    Actually write up an OP is my advise Reynar. I love it that we have this place to discuss game ideas and we if anyone picks them up. But I must say (and sorry if this sounds like I start a "general discussion") I don't like it became a pre-approval thread.

When I told someone first time about The Crossing I was told "great idea, but this isn't 2012 my friend". Original idea in a contemporary setting? Man, we do not even have a dedicated non-SW board anymore. What a bad idea. I came here with one player who told me he join (and that was the guy being critical). I found my player base. Even concluded the game! But I doubt I would have gotten raving reactions had I posted: Idea - a group of Government assassins hunt civilians for mysterious reasons!

So Reynar write that OP and if you wanna have feedback send it to someone and spread the word and post it. It is Weird West. It got Vampires and Werewolves? Wild West? Not the most unpopular elements if you ask me. People WILL have a look. If the OP is good, people will not wanna miss it. Just make sure it hits a nerve! This thread is probably perfect if one has really doubts if his game will work or fly. But I am not even sure the majority of this board reads it!

7. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    Well, it is the interest measurement thread, as in a place to kick the tires and see if anyone's interested in a particular idea or not before going through the trouble of writing up an entire OP. Usually I'm not too concerned about the response, and if I feel strongly enough about a concept I'll run with it regardless of how many people are interested in it or not. I don't consider this a pre-approval thread at all, just a place to spark conversation and bounce things off of each other.

8. TheSithGirly

Apr 26, 2007
    I agree with Reynar on this. It is nice to see if there is any interest for an idea ...

Speaking of which ... I recently had and idea and considering this board has been very welcoming to non-SW games recently I wondered if I might try it here.

It is about a secret military unit in Cold War that is hunting supernatural creatures. A mix of action, espionage and horror so to say. I codename it Diogenes. What do you guys think?

9. SirakRomar

SirakRomar Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 30, 2007
    Sounds like one hell of an idea.

10. DarkLordoftheFins

DarkLordoftheFins Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 2, 2007
    What year would that game be set? Was just wondering. The Cold War was pretty long!

11. TheSithGirly

Apr 26, 2007
    Early seventies. Actually have a look at the GM Group. I revived a tradition and posted it there.

12. Lawbreaker

Lawbreaker Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 21, 2018
    Hello everybody. I was lately advised to try my luck roleplaying on this website by some of your regular players. I really like many of your games and have lurked now for a few weeks. Regrettably there seem not to be too many games starting to join. Anyway, I came here with an idea of my own and before I now put it up to see if anybody bites I would like to ask a few questions I could not find the answers to:

1. I realized that multiple threads per game seem not to be a thing around here so just out of interest: Are they forbidden?

2. Is it allowed or generally accepted to limit players access to your game?

3. Any prequesites I need to start a game around here? I could not see any approval process or anything like that.

Thanks in advance!

13. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Welcome to the RPF, @Lawbreaker! It's great to have you! :)

I'm going to see if I can answer some of your questions:

1. No, they're not forbidden, but they're not exactly encouraged either. Over the years, there have been a handful of games that have been spread out over multiple threads, all of them with varying degrees of success. One was even what we considered a 'flagship' back in the day (perhaps even two?) – an all-encompassing game that involved most members of the community. It was basically the 'face' of the forum at the time. It's been several years since I've seen that kind of undertaking, though. My best advice would be to check with the mods before going with this approach.

2. It has been done in the past, yes. It's not uncommon for GMs to utilize a player cap or limit the players they accept into a game. As a rule, it's really up to each individual GM and their preferences – what they can handle in terms of workload, the type of story they are trying to tell, etc. I've also seen some closed games where players are brought onboard by invite only. It's rare, but it has created some interesting scenarios. 'Casting' certain roles has also been done in the past as well.

3. No prerequisites, persay – just get in there and have fun! Just a note for new GMs – while this is not always the case, it's generally a good idea to play in other games and interact/get to know the community a bit before launching your own game. This is not an official rule by any means, but it can help you out in attracting players to your game and building up your reputation. Then again, we've had new GMs come in here and create some of the most memorable games to hit the boards. So, really, I guess it's the luck of the draw and how you initially present your game. You do what you feel is best! And whatever you decide, I wish you the best of luck!

Hopefully that helps! And as always, if you ever have any additional questions, please don't hesitate to ask! [face_peace]

DarkLordoftheFins likes this.
  14. SirakRomar

SirakRomar Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 30, 2007
    Hello @Lawbreaker, glad to see you around. I think @HanSolo29 covered most topics perfectly. Just a little additional explanation:

1. If you mean different threads for subplots or locations this is indeed not common here. If you play a New York game, it won't be a Manhattan and a Brooklyn game. It would be on game and in our character posts we write at which location our character is. Have a look at Candlewood for example, where some people write Townhall and others write Brownback Hills in italics below their posts. Multiple threads were only used for really large games and not for many years.

Good luck if you decide to start your game, but have a look at the games around here. There is no harm in joining a few to connect with the community.

DarkLordoftheFins likes this.
  15. Lawbreaker

Aug 21, 2018
    Thank you @HanSolo29 and @SirakRomar, that answers my questions indeed. Working on my game right now. Maybe I have something next week to post and see if there are any interested players.

I would have loved to join a game or two around here, but most seem pretty far advanced and hard to jump in. Any recommendations are welcome though. I must warn that besides having watched the movies and probably a few episodes of Clone Wars I am not exactly a Star Wars expert.

16. DarkLordoftheFins

DarkLordoftheFins Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 2, 2007
    Actually we indeed had few games coming up the last weeks, but maybe have a look at No More Jedi which just started and I guess Candlewood (also pretty advanced) might have a spot open.

17. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    I'm actually a fan of this concept. Limiting the amount of players in your game at one time helps to keep you from getting overwhelmed with too many participants, especially if it's your first time GMing. You can easily come up with a story related justification for such a restriction, e.g. a Seven Samurai game being limited to seven players.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2018
  18. galactic-vagabond422

galactic-vagabond422 Force Ghost star 4

Jul 11, 2009
    @Lawbreaker As the GM of No More Jedi Private Message me a Character Sheet and we'll work together on it. I'm always up to teach new players. We're not too far and there's plenty of room. Also, no deep knowledge of the Star Wars lore necessary.

19. Lawbreaker

Aug 21, 2018
    Thank you everybody!

I am not totally new to the whole RPing thing, but you guys around here do it a bit different. I wonder why the idea to TAG people is not more widespread to be honest. It is brilliant!

I will read a bit tonight an shoot a few PMs. I am based in Amsterdam, but I guess you guys are used to write in different time zones.

20. LordTroepfchen

Apr 9, 2007
    Welcome Lawbreaker, good to see you around! Time Zones are not an issue here. We got a lot Europeans around. Even a Mod is a Brit.

21. Bardan_Jusik

Bardan_Jusik Former Manager star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2009
    And the other one is an Aussie. :p

22. Master Vo

Master Vo Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2017
    Anyone interested in a game similar to the TV show Mr. Robot? Not identical but the sort of whoopsie-I-just-got-caught-in-the-middle-of-a-massive-conspiracy thing, or I had ideas for classic mysterious Area 51 Aliens stuff or a Fallout RPG

TheSithGirly likes this.
  23. LordTroepfchen

Apr 9, 2007
    You would need to do something very different from the three contemporary games already running. They all three have a conspiracy of some sort in it (well, in all my dreams i DROWN we can only guess so early).

Master Vo'Un'Var likes this.
  24. Master Vo

Master Vo Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2017
    Ok ok, So I think I've made a bit of a name for myself releasing terrible RPGs, but.... I feel like I have an RPG that's actually worth sharing...
    Lemme just set the stage a bit, this game is based on Greek Mythology, and has many references to The Odyssey by Homer.
    I really don't want to give away too much but you can see there is a lot of material to work with here. People would have the opportunity of playing as Spartans or forging their own mythological philosophers. The game would begin with the Trojan War, Players would be fighting with or against Odysseus and other notable heroes from these tales. Gain the favor of the gods and defeat creatures like the fearsome Minotaur. This game would involve a lot of politics and conflict, and probably isn't suited for the faint of heart.
    I would plan for this game to go on for some time, and to be open for new players for a certain length of time until, like all good games, we reach too far into the story for someone to jump in.
    Now I'm still working on polishing up things, but any comments on what interests you or what you would add or take away would be greatly appreciated!

25. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    Into @Master Vo'Un'Var and @Reynar_Tedros' ideas, and am definitely interested in hearing more specifics.

I was thinking of rebooting or restarting What's Old is New in the wake of TLJ, but maybe it's best to let that one go. The original plan was to do a game in five parts, with a signficant time jump between each part, tracking characters across the timespan between Return of the Jedi to The Force Awakens.

Master Vo'Un'Var likes this.