main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Reference Interest Measurement Thread

Discussion in 'Role Playing Resource' started by Sawn_Kassal, Nov 13, 2009.

1. Sir_Draco

Sir_Draco Jedi Master star 4

Aug 19, 2007
    I don´t think the interest is necessary low, LordT . . . not at all . . .

And I have problems with steampunk. or maybe steampunk has probs with me . . . but it sounds like something new, actually.

2. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    I could totally play the lead, or if not the lead, an evil machine from the future disguised as a native of the Antarctic sent back to kill the leader of the Penguin Resistance before he could be conceived.

Anyways, I'm hoping to start a game in the near future. I'm leaning towards a Steampunk game (with DRACULA!) but I also have an OP written up for a sci-fi horror/thriller. Mostly thriller.

3. GenOochy

GenOochy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 8, 2003
    I think adding a gothic horror/thriller element to a Steampunk game would be great.

Airships, conspiracies, gun fights and vampires. Fun times.. ^^

4. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    What if we combined all those elements? Penguin Dracula and his army of clockwork space marines battling against the forces of the Penguin Airship Fleet?:p

5. LordTroepfchen

LordTroepfchen Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2007
    Gentlemen, I think we got something here. Hahah.

BTW, faces don´t work anymore.

So, my game might happen in a few month. Right now I am busy doing a few things IRL and with Bad Day and SotS Co-GMing.

Concerning Steampunk. you need good pic for that, because Seampunk is a visual genre. But I think the genre would not sell the game. Their needs to be something attractive to players except the world setting . . . my feel about it.

6. GenOochy

GenOochy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 8, 2003
    It is a visual genre, but good writing should be turning a visual-scape into a thousand words, so to speak.

I think, with a good enough set-up and opening post, and a good plot with an end game in sight, it could go quite well. I think to do the genre justice and keep people interested, it is going to need a heavy dose of intrigue, actions and romance.

I don't think it would be selling the game as steampunk that would draw players it, in fact, you could leave that term out (as I know there are some people who appall the term) all together. Instead you are selling an alternate history, Victorian RPG that just happens to include lots of clockwork and steam-powered mechanicals.

I think darthramza might have something for April 1, going there. =D

7. DarkLordoftheFins

DarkLordoftheFins Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 2, 2007
    I think the set-up would not suffer from some visual help in setting the tone. And I guess that is simply what LordT meant. But actually it might be a very interesting game. We got few intrigue/adventure games around here . . .

Concerning the Penguine-Terminator crossover . . . I dig the basic idea. Also I am not sure if SotS should not be a little more established in it´s own story before branching out. Anyway, I am against tabletop and all for doing it here . . .

8. HairyWookiee12

HairyWookiee12 Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 22, 2009
    Would anyone be interested in a Marvel/Star Wars Crossover RP? Kind of like a Search-and-Destroy RP where when Abmination(Marvel Universe) breaks out of the Hulk-Buster facility and accidently passes through a timewarp created by the genius Tony Stark(a.k.a Iron Man) ergo Hulkbuster Iron Man, Hulk, and a handful of other super heroes go sideways in time(watch Land of the Lost) into a star wars dimension right in the middle of the breach into the Kamino cloning facility(around 11 BBY), turning into complete chaos for the clones and heroes alike.... More on the game later....

Also a rouge stormtrooper game in development.

9. Cad_Bane

Cad_Bane Jedi Youngling

Jun 18, 2009
    That's messed up, Hairy Wookie. I'd totally play. :D

10. HairyWookiee12

Nov 22, 2009
    Cool, the game may be up in a week or so.[face_peace]

11. TheGoodImperial

TheGoodImperial Jedi Knight star 2

May 17, 2009
    Well, I decided to spend more time here and I would like to join a game or two. I usually board games when they begin, as I hate to have to little info, so I´ll watch this htread. So far I think Antarctica and Steampunk (especially with Dracula) both would be wonderful.

:)

12. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    While much of my attention is on midterms right now, No Safe Haven will hopefully be up and running in a week's time. I'll be posting a few teasers and little snippets of in-universe stuff to try and draw you guys in.

In the meantime, there'll definitely be a Victorian Steampunk piece coming from my end. And if the people have spoken, Antarctica will figure in somehow. And Dracula.

And Lord Byron.

13. Cad_Bane

Cad_Bane Jedi Youngling

Jun 18, 2009
    Please tell me Tony Stark as Iron Mandalorian is involved somehow, or that I can make it so. [face_praying]

14. LordTroepfchen

Apr 9, 2007
    I think he meant my game with "Antarctica" Peng and yours with Steampunk. Or GenOochys. Maybe you should join forces, before spreading the player base thin.

Antarctica and Steampunk. This is actually a nice idea, I think. Quite unique, so givei t thought. My horror game got a 50/50 right now.

15. HairyWookiee12

Nov 22, 2009
    Sure, though I may need to use tony in the first post but after that you can be "Iron Mandalorian" all you want....

16. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    I'd thought we were still on the whole thing with penguins...my bad!

17. DarkLordoftheFins

DarkLordoftheFins Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 2, 2007
    I wonder if you need an own game for it, if you wanna make it part of my world anyway (which would make me feel honored) . . .

You are Co-GM, LordT. Why not open a sixth group inside my thread? Antarctica Group.

Peng, have you read Drood? Just read it, might give oyu some inspiration. And Dracula and Steampunk? Please don´t make it Kim Newman. [face_whistling]

18. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I think an Antarctica chapter would be especially nice if the change created hyper intelligent penguins who went around saying "D00d."

19. LordTroepfchen

Apr 9, 2007
    I actually wanted to rip a piece out of your nifty backstory Fin and take that one . . . so I guess it would be sort of a Prequel. I don´t know howyou feel about that. A game run within´yours but set long before? 1997 I thought . . . and dracos idea was pretty close to it. Ramzas was not :p

You like Drood? Must be an awesome girl who gave it to you :D

20. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    Fins, I haven't read Drood, but I would like to. I'm also hoping to throw a bit of Strange and Norell in this game, what with Byron hopefully being a character.

21. spycoder9

spycoder9 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 23, 2008
    Would anyone be interested in an RPG based on the Survivor reality TV? It would involve everything from the normal show, eliminations, challenges, the usual.

22. BLemelisk

BLemelisk Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 19, 2003
    I remember a few months ago there was some talk of a Mass Effect RP, but it was rightfully suggested that a wait for the new game would be prudent.

Now that it is out, I'm wondering if a "prequel to the sequel" can / should be developed for the NSWRPF. Set in the space between ME1 and ME2, it would be relatively spoiler free as well...

I think Cerberus is a fantastically-wrought fictional organization that has a lot of roleplaying potential, and my main idea for the premise would be during that two-year gap between the games, you could have players as part of the Cerberus cell that was tasked with gathering resources and connections in order to create the Lazarus Project. After all, everything that's in place at the beginning of ME2's character creation sequence had to come from somewhere, and knowing Cerberus and the state of the galaxy, there was probably a lot of backstabbing and maneuvering to get it all.

Anyway, let me know what you think if you like the sound of it, or if you don't :)

23. HairyWookiee12

Nov 22, 2009
    Now spycoder9, I haven't seen the show that much, but i'm just wondering how to whole RP-based-on-survival-reality-TV-show will exactly work out.... I would play though, if I knew what the show was about.

24. bad_feeling_haver

bad_feeling_haver Jedi Master star 1

Oct 5, 2008
    Yeah, myself and a few others were talking about a Mass Effect RP. I would 100% absolutely play that when/if it is made. I want that game (the RP) to come out so bad! I would help design it if asked, i would co-GM it, whatever. But then again I don't want to be precluded from playing a character. Well, I'd do whatever needs to be done to start the game. The only thing is I'm a little strapped for time right now, and I haven't played ME 2 yet, and I don't want to get spoiled on it. But, yeah, if that can be avoided and it truly is a ME "1.5" then I would definitely play it.

I like your idea specifically, BLemelisk. I would play that and I think that is a good central plotline. For the sake of discussion, the only suggestions I would make would be to not emphasize the espionage aspect to the point of excluding straight-forward shoot-'em-up combat scenarios, and don't focus on Cerberus to the point of excluding other factions. If you were saying Cerberus would be the main faction and drive the central plotline then I think that's totally fine, but I would make other factions playable and have some intersecting plot threads. That would probably win more players too. But I'm being a little nitpicky for the sake of discussion. The bottom line is, yeah, I would play that game!

25. HairyWookiee12

Nov 22, 2009
    I have heard of the game, but what exactly is Mass Effect? And what is it about?