main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Reference Interest Measurement Thread

Discussion in 'Role Playing Resource' started by Sawn_Kassal, Nov 13, 2009.

1. DarkLordoftheFins

DarkLordoftheFins Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 2, 2007
    Actually I think that could be argued. It appears often so when painted these days, but they were a very, very strong hierarchy with cult like structures arguable in their leading caste. The days to days nazi business was almost militaristic in it´s structure. A pure order-or-be-ordered system which allowed no doubts or discussions. So, the meeting we see in the book (and I assume it will be in the movie, too) where all Death eaters from different levels of hierarchy come together to discuss would have been totally unthinkable. Even Wannsee was, despite legends, nothing of a discussion group, but Eichmann´s big briefing of the administration about a plan they had already ironed out six month before . . .

But then again such structures don´t make good villains, because the "Evil Antagonist" is hard to grab. Hitler never got reports about how well the hunt for Rosa Luxenburg went. He did not care . . . and he never faced of with Eisenhower. Or Goeble´s duelled with Churchill . . . so I think staying in the realm of fiction (as Boba seems to plan) might be just fine . . .

Then again I wonder if these baddies might not be to "harmless" to strike fear into players hearts?

And quadpost is impressive. :p

2. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    True, but a cult of personality is a cult worshipping one man. That one man demanded his soldiers swear direct fealty to him. But that's a historical question and not on-topic for this thread.

3. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    Mreh. Killer evil wizards are still screwed up even if they're not really Death Eaters. And who says there's not more to them...? [face_mischief]

Also: there's really no comparing Voldemort's crew with the Third Reich. They're entirely different in terms of scale and organization. Their ideology, on the other hand...

4. Kev-Mas_Colcha

Kev-Mas_Colcha Force Ghost star 5

Dec 15, 2002
    I have an idea for a small game with a limited number of players, that I want to gauge a level of interest on.

Its a game featuring a Stormtrooper Squad, where it pays attention to the Cannon Fodder aspect more or less, in that if your character, a Stormtrooper, dies, they actually die, and you are given two options: create a new character if nobody is on the queue, or get replaced by someone on the queue if there is one.

That's mainly all I am going to reveal about the game so far, unless you are interested and want to know more.

5. BLemelisk

BLemelisk Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 19, 2003
    I think it's a cool idea, and since there isn't much else to comment on, I do like the cannon fodder "you're replaceable" suggestion.

However, I never really saw stormtroopers as cannon fodder per see. Maybe a game centered around something like CompForce Assault would be a lot more...brutal? And possibly more in-line with what you're going for.

6. DarkLordoftheFins

Apr 2, 2007
    So, the name of this threat seems to say it´s the right place to post this . . .

As the readers of the Pieces of a Jigsaw Thread already know, I am asking myself if there will be a Sins of the Saints II or not, so I need to know how big the interest is around here. Everybody reading it who planned to join or rejoin the Sequel of my game last year, please send me a PM and if it happens, you will have a place reserved then. I actually do not turn down anyone, if I play the game actually. It has always been the SotS policy.

Thanks and . . . I like the stormtrooper idea :)

7. Kev-Mas_Colcha

Dec 15, 2002
    Well, the idea pays less attention to the fact that they are cannon fodder, and more to the fact that they are replaceable - especially since amongst Stormtroopers, the ones in this game/idea are more elite. They are Shadow Stormtroopers.

Basically, the squad is a squad of five, with each one having a specific role. There's a medic, a sniper, a demolitions/heavy weapons expert, a slicer/electronic warfare expert, and the squad leader. For story purposes, the squad leader would not be a replaceable role, but the other four, very much so.

8. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    Seeing as most of us treat stormtrooper death rates as humorous, what's the tone of the RPG? Also, what is players' incentive to create vivid, interesting characters and to post well if there's a pretty good chance - there has to be, for the game to function - that your character will get taken out, and soon? Besides, you know, the honor system?

9. Kev-Mas_Colcha

Dec 15, 2002
    Well, the tone certainly isn't humorous, its actually rather dark and grim, which is actually supported by the high death rate. Also, for incentive, I think that maybe better posting is rewarded with less chance of dying, and maybe they could even avoid death entirely in the game if they post well enough.

It doesn't necessarily mean that those who don't create vivid, interesting characters and post well are being punished with their characters getting killed off, but rather those who do get rewarded with their characters living, or at least living longer. This, in turn, will see their characters living long enough to get promoted and such.

As for the incentive for the characters themselves, well, that's what GM Approval of Character Sheets and Rules for Character creation are for. I only approve those characters that look like some effort was put into them.

10. blubeast1237

blubeast1237 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 10, 2007
    I guess I would be more excited about hearing about games if people actually went through with their ideas.

This thread has basically become a dumping ground for games that people think would be cool and have an idea on how they would run it and then no one ever follows through with it.

I mean...come on people.

-b

11. DarkLordoftheFins

Apr 2, 2007
    I actually think that´s what it has been for most of it´s time. Yeah. People who know they WILL do their game go to the GDG, usually. This here for tsting water, but it seems not too bring out too many games. Then again, who says it has to.

12. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    That's actually what I kind of like about this thread. Theoretical RPs are an interesting beast.

13. dreven_Aarkanin

dreven_Aarkanin Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 9, 2010
    hmmm...i guess i'll put my idea out here, and see what happens.

"the supreme chancellor of the republic has just been assassinated, by whom it is not known. this puts the senate into political turmoil, with senators vying for power against each other. strong suspicion has been sighted towards the sith empire, but in the few days since the chancellor's death, they have not taken the credit for the hit. but that doesn't mean they do not have to take advantage of the situation.
    Will you play as one of the republic (senators, troopers, ETC,) trying desperatley to keep the republic together and from falling to the power hungry senators? or will you become part of the sith empire, and take advantage of the situation and crush the republic? the battle for power is epic. whose side will you take?"

It is what it says. i'd love to do this, but i have a gut feeling that my lack of experience in GM'ing will kill this rare RP idea of mine. so there it is....

14. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Wait, wait, wait. Interesting galactic politics set-up that ends up as "Republic Versus Sith A-Go-Go"? The inevitable political intrigue that would occur in the Senate following that sort of assassination seems to be a far more compelling game premise than simply using it as a background for yet another two sides fighting a war RP.

15. dreven_Aarkanin

Jul 9, 2010
    Well, it's an unfinished concept, and yes, I see your point. I've never actually seen a game like this, have there been any?

16. dreven_Aarkanin

Jul 9, 2010
    OK. Just wondering if anyone out there would be interested in doing a Warriors RP (don't know about warriors? From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia:

Warriors is a series of children's fiction novels published by HarperCollins and written by Erin Hunter, a pseudonym used by authors Kate Cary, Cherith Baldry, and Tui Sutherland; the plot is developed by editor Victoria Holmes. The series follows the adventures of four Clans of wild cats in their forest homes. The four Clans are ThunderClan, WindClan, ShadowClan and RiverClan. SkyClan, the long-forgotten fifth Clan of the forest, is later introduced in the stand-alone novel Firestar's Quest. The novel SkyClan's Destiny continues their adventure. There are currently four series, each containing six books. The first, Warriors (often called "Original Series" to differentiate it from the later series), was published from 2003 to 2004. Warriors: The New Prophecy, published from 2005 to 2006, followed the first series, chronicling the Clans as they move to a new home. The third story arc, Warriors: Power of Three, was published from 2007 to 2009. The current series, Warriors: Omen of the Stars, began with The Fourth Apprentice, which was released on November 24, 2009, and continues where the third series left off. A fifth series has been requested by HarperCollins. Major themes in the series include forbidden love, nature versus nurture, the reactions of different faiths meeting each other, and characters being a mix of good and bad. The authors draw inspiration from several natural locations and other authors such as J. R. R. Tolkien, J. K. Rowling, and William Shakespeare.)

anyway, Just gauging interest.

17. Sir_Draco

Sir_Draco Jedi Master star 4

Aug 19, 2007
    So, I lately felt like playing in english again and watched the boards for one of the many "announced" Mass Effect games. Non ever arrived.

While waiting I had a few ideas of my own and actually, I think I would give it a try. My question is: Do I stand in the way of anybody? Is there any serious project coming up in any forseeable future? If so, could the board deal with two ME games?

18. DarkLordoftheFins

Apr 2, 2007
    Well, my ear is no longer as attuned to TFN chatter as it once was, but I seriosuly think there has been no rescent announcment of a game anywhere and as I know you got an OP, you might simply put it into the GDG and look how people react? I think we could need a ME game. Because . . . everybody needs ME from time to time . . .

19. Sir_Draco

Aug 19, 2007
    I think I´ll do that.

20. Jedi_padawan_leigh

Jedi_padawan_leigh Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 13, 2003
    Would anyone be interested in a game based on assassins creed? More specifically set during Assassins Creed Brotherhood? I was considering putting a rpg together but I thought I would gauge the level of interest before I posted anything in the GDG :)

21. Sir_Draco

Aug 19, 2007
    I play the first part right now and would be interested. Although I am not yet familiar with Brotherhood itself.

22. SirakRomar

SirakRomar Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 30, 2007
    Well, I think it is an awesome setting. The question is, what the story will be about. If it ties in directly with the game, it might be a little hard to access. I played some parts of it and a lot multiplayer. "A lot" compared to my usual ammount I play any game, I mean. And yeah, I would be interested in some sort of Assassin´s Creed storyline. If I got a chance to "get it" without having to play through the game once more.

How is ME coming along? I know I am pushy, but Draco is my brother . . . so that should be okay to him. As okay as everything else I do is, at least. [face_laugh]

23. Sir_Draco

Aug 19, 2007
  24. DarkLordoftheFins

Apr 2, 2007
    So, I thought I´d give this thread another try. I actually learned that this year I´ll have the probably biggest break of my life from work (between jobs) and I plan to get back to GMing, probably for a final time. And I plan on two projects, one with a smaller one with a bigger cast.

I. Stranded (working title)

It´s basically Star Wars meets Lost meets David Lynch. A group of survivors of a crash on an unknown planet. I have some cool ideas, but won´t spoil anything too early. I think by definition you can´t do an endless number of players with such a game and obviously you´ll need a dedicated group. Adventure, action, mystery.

II. Neo Noir (working title)

A classical hard boiled crime story that has a plot but is Sandbox anyway. Hard to explain. A setting in a dark, gloomy near-future world that can be anything, from a Film Noir styled thriller to a police procedual. Generally more of a ROLE game than an actioner. Again the plot should stay under wraps, until I got it ironed out.

So any opinion is welcome. I´ll probably hand some early drafts to the GDG soon.

25. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    I have to say the Stranded one sounds intriguing. Anything that combines Star Wars and Lost is a 'must-do' for me!