main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Oregon Interested in forming FanForce Portland?

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by Elan-Rai, Dec 14, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Elan-Rai

Elan-Rai RSA Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 11, 2001
    If anyone in the area is interested in forming a chapter for your city, please feel free to private message me and I'll help you get started.

As the time draws near for Episode 2, more and more people are gathering together and forming groups to meet for the premiere.

Again, let me know if I can be of help. ;)

2. Jaya_Jedi

Jaya_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 13, 2001
    well im about 5 hours away from actual portland and i cant drive so im not sure that i would be able to go to anything, but it sounds cool!

3. Elan-Rai

Jul 11, 2001
    Here is some info below that I have:
    =====================================

Glad to to see some interest! I will give you a quick rundown of what has to happen. You and at least two other people in your area need to conduct 3 meetings in person.

The details:

1) When you set your gathering date and time for each one, let me know so I can post it on FanForce.Net. By doing this, you might gain some extra members that you weren't expecting!

2) All 3 meetings will require at least 3 of you to be there. It doesn't have to be the same 3, just 3.

3) Once all 3 meetings are successful, you will become a chapter. Your group will give yourselves a name and it will be displayed for all to see.

4) Lastly, one of you will become the official "City Representative." This person will conduct future meetings, etc.

Now, this is the QUICK version. There are more details at this link explaining Fan Force.

Basically, if I were you I would spread the word and try to get a meeting together with 2 more people. Once you get word that it's a go, private message me and I will get it posted on FanForce.Net.

Let me know if I can be of any more help. :D

And.. MTFBWY!!

4. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    I am planning to line up outside of Evergreen Parkway 13 several days in advance. Anyone with me on this? Anyone want to give it a try? Just like maybe three days, but it would be fun. I mean, a real experience. Not like waiting in front of Mann's for 42 days, but, eh, this would be nice still.

I am in Los Angeles at college now, but I'll be back in Portland by the 11th of May or so, hopefully earlier. I have been in Portland my entire life other than this year living in Los Angeles and I am 19.

I'm also looking to conduct interviews with other line members later for my book on Episode II, a sequel to my first book, Anticipation: The Real Life Story of Star Wars: Episode I -- The Phantom Menace. It is not yet published nor does it have a publisher, but the book is under the representation of Richard Curtis, a literary agent in New York City (also represents Leonard Maltin). So, I hope to find a publisher fairly soon, or rather I hope my agent might be able to soon...

There has to be other Portland people who want to line up for AOTC, am I right?! COME ON!

5. Jedi_Morfious

Jedi_Morfious Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 3, 2002
    i will line up for AOTC, I was thinking of going to the Loyds center, or is there a better one?

im 26 married with 3 sons, All as dashing as there father :)

I have been a star wars fan for a long time, since i can remember, I dont know this area to well i lived in riverside california for 23 years of my life so any other theater ideas would be cool,
    I will have my costume ready for AOTC.

cant wait,!!!! cant wait for the first wave of figures to be release either,!!

6. Obi-Gon

Obi-Gon Jedi Youngling

May 27, 2001
    Im probally going to wait in line at evergreen with a couple of friends. We plan on dressing up in jedi costumes. Like we did for EP1. Some thinks it stupid and geeky, but what the hey; you only live once.

One thing that erks me about the evergreen is that they use the lucas sound system. I must say that it is very disapointing. All the main sound is up front and every once and a while you here some sound effects coming from the side speakers. The best sound i heard was the sony one, it was more even and just overall better for watching EP1. Not really a big deal but i thought i would just vent.

Anyway hope to see you all in line.

7. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Actually that's wrong.

Evergreen Parkway does NOT use THX sound systems anymore, nor does ANY Regal Cinemas. The ONLY THX aligned theatres in Portland are the Century 16 theatres over in Eastport on 82nd Avenue.

I saw TPM at Evergreen Parkway, but since then have had SO many bad sound experiences there that I will not be returning for Episode II. I will most likely see it for the first time at the Century 16 theatres to see it in a THX auditorium. The problem you are referring to with bad sound there is because they no longer have the right balance from the front speakers to the rear speakers.

Quick Education:

Dolby Digital = 5.1 Sound format
    dts = 5.1 Sound format
    SDDS = 5.1 Sound format

THX = Specifications for theatre rooms and sound systems to ensure they meet certain strict guidelines set out by Lucasfilm. It is NOT a sound format.

In a THX aligned theatre, a THX rep comes out and tests the sound in the room, tweaks the settings so it is optimal and then LOCKS IT so that the theatre employees cannot screw with it.

8. Obi-Gon

Obi-Gon Jedi Youngling

May 27, 2001
    My bad..Thanks for the info :)

9. Raiden

Raiden Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 14, 2002
    okay, okay, I wanna be there too... Hey, I can talk about games... if that seems to be interesting...
    -Raiden (read my post! nuff said)

10. Elan-Rai

Jul 11, 2001
    Greetings, Portland!

Just dropping in again to see how the creation of your Fanforce chapter is coming along. Where do you stand on meetings and attendance? If you need any help, feel free to send me a message. I will do what I can to get you all started. :D

11. ImperialJedi

ImperialJedi Jedi Master star 3

Sep 23, 2001
    Hello Elan-Rai! FanForce PDX will like to express their gratitude to you for your help.

So far there have been two meetings:

5/25/2002

Regal Broadway Metro 4 Theatres
    1000 S.w. Broadway
    Portland, OR 97205

12:00pm

Bowen, Count Bakufu, ImperialJedi, and JediWookie attended and met. WinduWasher was also present, but unfortunately did not run into the others.

6/11/2002

Regal Evergreen Parkway
    2625 N.w. 188th
    Hillsboro, OR 97124

12:00pm in Auditorium 1.
    03:20pm in Auditorium 1.
    Dinner @ The Spaghetti Factory (across the street).
    07:30pm in Auditorium 7.
    10:05pm in Auditorium 1.

Bowen, ImperialJedi, and JediWookie attended the 12:00pm and 3:20pm showings and ate dinner. Bowen attended the 7:30pm showing by himself. Bowen, JediWookie, and WinduWasher attended the 10:05pm showing. Those present were all able to met each other this time.

We're currently in the process of planning the 3rd meeting.

MTFBWY :D

-ImperialJedi

12. JediWookie

JediWookie Jedi Youngling

May 25, 2002
    Becoming an official chapter would be very cool indeed. As imperialjedi pointed out to me, we just need one more meeting of three people. That's not too hard. ;)

What dates work for you guys? In my opinion, it would be better to have lots of small meetings in addition to bigger ones.

13. Raiden

Feb 14, 2002
    why don't we like have a site for pdx fanforce?

14. Elan-Rai

Jul 11, 2001
    Sounds like a plan! Can't wait to see you all becoming official. :D

15. Raiden

Feb 14, 2002
    Are you poking me? Oh well... I'm bored anyways...
    -Raiden (the freak)

16. ImperialJedi

ImperialJedi Jedi Master star 3

Sep 23, 2001
    I believe JediWookie volunteered to construct a webpage for us. If you want to help you can contact him I guess.

17. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    If he can create it, I can host it for free on my dedicated server, so cost is not a problem there. We can either get our own domain or use JLBMovies.com and just put it on some separate section. Otherwise, we gotta pay for a new domain, which I would be willing to do I suppose... Not too much money, but I'd have to know if Erik (JediWookie, I mean, hehe) would be willing to make us a simple site. Then I'd pay the money for the domain.

18. Raiden

Feb 14, 2002
    may the force... (ahem... web development) be with you jediwookie....
    -Raiden

19. chunk_the_jawa

chunk_the_jawa Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 8, 2002
    HI my name is mike or chunk_the_jawaor one of a thousand socks . I'm a proud member of the 501st and the legandary RMFF here in denver.where I run the collecting part of our web site.
    my wife might be attending school in portland next fall so I wanted to check this group out to see whats going on in the north west because to tell the truth if the star wars action isnt good I might be forced to get a divorce. so I just wanted to check in and see whats up.

20. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    Haha, man, get a divorce? Wow you are devoted! I thought I was a big fan... :)

Well there are many great Star Wars fans in Portland, but we just haven't really networked well enough yet. I know this is a very Star Wars friendly city, though, otherwise our theaters wouldn't ALL still have AOTC pretty much. Most every major theater that had it opening day still has it now, so that's really neat.

I have seen AOTC 33 times. I'm die-hard, hehe. Another friend of mine, Rick, saw TPM about 30 times. I keep getting him and another friend mixed up, so I don't remember if he saw it 29 times or 31. I think it was 29... I saw it 50 times. He hasn't had the chance to see AOTC as much, "only" 6 times.

21. chunk_the_jawa

Feb 8, 2002
    wow 30 times? thats alot sounds like I might fit in well even though I have only seen it 4 times ,

22. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    Hehe, die hard fans are welcome. No wannabes here! :)

I'm at 34 viewings now. Should be 35 by tomorrow for sure.

23. chunk_the_jawa

Feb 8, 2002
    well you can check out our website to see what a bunch of true geeks we are down herein the RMFF we have a lot of funn and I cant wait to meet some more fans from diferent cities.

24. Mara_Jade_Fan

Mara_Jade_Fan Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 1, 2002
    Hello, I just wanted to say that Elan-Rai has stepped down from his position at FanForce, and I am the new RSA for this region. Elan-Rai wishes to spend more time with his wife and newborn son "Hayden Lucas." Now how cool is that for a Star Wars name?

When you decide on the date, time, and location for your third meeting, please email or PM me with a write up and I'll post it on the main page of FanForce for you. My contact information can be found in my "Greetings" thread. Remember, at the third meeting you will need to vote for a City Rep and decide on a name for your chapter.

May the Force be with you!

Linda :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.