main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Buff, NY Interested in Joining, and have an armor question

Discussion in 'Buffalo, NY' started by Sgt_JB, Jul 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sgt_JB

Sgt_JB Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 2, 2009
    Hello All, My name is Eric, I'm interested in joining the North Ridge Garrison. I live in Blasdell, NY, and obviously, I'm a huge fan. You guys recently attended a Bison's game, and I gotta tell you, you were AMAZING!! So good in fact that you got me wanting to join. I have a question about getting started. I want to make a standard Stormtrooper costume, and I'm looking at getting started with the Armor plates. I'm looking at starting with the Stormtrooper FX armour Kit I found a guy in Britin selling on Ebay. He say's he's 501st approved, and I was wondering if any of you have the FX armor, and if so, will I be pleased with it when I get it. I know there's quite a bit of work involved with getting it looking good, but as an avid model builder, and painter, I'm looking forward to the project. Thanks for your assistance.

2. StoyBoy720

StoyBoy720 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 26, 2003
    Hey Eric!

Thanks for checking out the boards. Glad to hear you enjoyed our work at the Bisons game.

A lot of the other members have armored costumes (many of which are also 501st members). Hopefully they'll be able to chime in and help you with your questions.

3. Mother_of_the_Twins

Mother_of_the_Twins Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 8, 2005
    Hi Eric! I'm not a costumer, but we're a fun group and many folks will be able to help you with your questions. Welcome to the North Ridge boards!

4. BobaChris12

BobaChris12 Former RSA star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 30, 2002
    Welcome Eric!

Check your Private Messages

5. Sgt_JB

Jul 2, 2009
    Thanks Chris,

I appreciate the advice. I'm a do it yourself kind of guy, so I'm looking for the basic armor plates. I'm actually looking forward to doing all the trimming, sanding, and all that stuff myself. I did find a few FX kits online, but like you said they're pretty pricy. and I have found some great 501st member sites that I'm getting ideas from. Namely www.tk409.com and www.tk899.com but I was hoping that the 501st had mabye a place they refer people to, or a certain type of armor that the members recomend. Glad to hear that the FX armor is something that's acceptable. I'll probably have a few questions soon, Thanks again for the advice.

6. starwarsarmboy

starwarsarmboy Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 9, 2002
    Sup Eric,
    I'm 501st approved with Scout armor (and I just sold my Stealth Armor) and I have to say Ebay is a good place to find armor. You can usually find them around 500 bones for a good set (plus all the extras, boots, dive suit, etc)and it will get you approved to the 501st.

7. Sgt_JB

Jul 2, 2009
    nice biker scout armor!! also like the Imperial Gunner outfit too. I was actually thinking about doing the TB thing, might still want to do that.

8. Sgt_JB

Jul 2, 2009
    I saw your pic on the 501st site, what scout helmet do you have? is that the Rubies? Don Post? Morris? or did you get an ABS kit?

9. BigDanLevitan

BigDanLevitan Jedi Master star 5

Jun 26, 2005
    Welcome to the boards!

Glad to hear you liked our appearance at the Bisons game.
    My name is Dan, I costume as the snowtrooper/imperial crewman.

From what I know the FX kits are supposed to be good fit for most people. I don't know personally as I'm to big in size to be a stormy.
    I know you can find a supplier stateside for the armor. Add that with a MR trooper helmet and you would be good to go with little modding.

Check with Peter (myhale) on here he is the best source of stormtrooper info in the group.

10. Sgt_JB

Jul 2, 2009
    Jay, you got my mind going on the Biker Scout Armor, that and it'll be cheaper by far. Also, I always liked to look of the scouts. Can you guys tell I'm at work the day before the 4th? lol

11. starwarsarmboy

starwarsarmboy Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 9, 2002
    Hey Eric,
    My helmet is an Altmanns (Australian made ,only 500 made, and no longer in business) and I paid 500 bucks for the helmet. I know there are kits out there for way cheaper. Stay way from Don Post it looks cool, but its WAYYYY of the mark for a scout. Let me know if you got any other questions.

12. Sgt_JB

Jul 2, 2009
    I found a few ABS kits, and that's what I really want anyway, that way I can make it the way I like it (mic, paint job, trimmings) I knew you were going to Altmann's. Mainly because they're impossible to find!

13. JediXXL

JediXXL Force Ghost star 6

Apr 11, 2003
    Welcome to the North Ridge, these guys won't steer you wrong, and should be able to get you pointed in the right direction for armor.

14. Sgt_JB

Jul 2, 2009
    yea, I can see that, been very helpful. After a full day at work surfing the internet, I've come to realize that doing the biker scout will cost more than the standard ST. The helmet alone is going to drive me nuts. so I'm going to start working on the ST armor next payday. Found some FX armor for only a few hundred, but I might talk to you Chris if the price goes up too much. I'll keep ya'll posted. And again, Thanks for the input. You've all been extreemly helpful!!

15. myhale99

myhale99 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 6, 2005
    Hi Eric and welcome to the boards!

I'm Peter (the one that Dan mentioned above) and I have a 501st approved (A New Hope) FX stormtrooper outfit. I acquired it from a fellow down in South Carolina who I was referred to by the Empire City Garrison before Garrison Excelsior was formed. For the life of me I can't remember the guys name, but he did a great job with the armor pieces. They all came trimmed and buffed. All I had to do is put it together and modify it with reinforced attachments (snaps, industrial strength velcro, rivets, etc.) The TK409.com site is a great pace to start. Also WhitemArmor.Net is another. It's a 501st detachment of nothing but TK stormtroopers. Great resources to find there. I used this site to help make my outfit really secure: http://www.legionxxiv.org/starmormods/. It's the Old Sarge's website. He's one of the oldest members of the 501st Legion and has been trooping for quite some time. His website is http://www.legionxxiv.org/trooper124/.

Let me know if you need a hand with anything.

16. Sgt_JB

Jul 2, 2009
    Chris, I reached out to the 501st member I think you were directing me to. he seems to be the #1 FX guy to go to. I asked him for a price check for just the 'lite' kit with the helmet parts included, since I don't need any velcro, or straps or anything. hopefully I'll get a response soon.

17. BobaChris12

BobaChris12 Former RSA star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 30, 2002
    You're definitely on your way to getting a costume together! Remember to take your time with any trimming and assemble. It's easy to rush the job to get it done, but well owrth the extra day or so if you do it right.

18. Sgt_JB

Jul 2, 2009
    looks like I'm going either the ATA casting of the CAP suit, or Deckard. Both look MUCH better than anything else I've seen that's less than a grand.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.