main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Interesting Article About Luke

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by jedijax, Mar 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    Force22 likes this.
  2. JediLight

JediLight Force Ghost star 4

May 31, 2001
    Everybody is gay, don't you get it?

357hermon likes this.
  3. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I don't think he's actually saying Luke is gay... more that it doesn't matter if he is or not, and that people should embrace who they are.

4. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    Point is (I couldn't care less about his orientation), that it impacts Rey's heritage. If Rey is Luke's daughter, that doesn't leave anything to the audience's interpretation. If his orientation is left for interpretation, Rey is not his daughter. It's not because "interpretation" necessarily signifies what Luke is or isn't. It's that "interpretation" signifies mystery and having a child takes that mystery away. Unless the point of that comment from Hamill is a distraction away from the assumption that Rey is Luke's daughter.

Force22 likes this.
  5. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    And I don't think Hamill was even thinking about those possible implications when he said what he did and answered those fans.

JediLight and AmySolo like this.
  6. JediKnightWax

JediKnightWax Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    The fear of offending someone makes people say silly things.

Avnar, guittarjedi, Drewton and 2 others like this.
  7. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    Where's the silly part? There's nothing in the movies to suggest that Luke couldn't possibly be gay. For all we know, Dooku, Palpatine, Maul, Mon Mothma, Zam Wesell, Jango, Boba, Aurra Sing, Chewie, Lando, Yoda and Wicket are all gay - since the subject is never actually addressed.
    Just as they could all be avid chocolate fanatics, or have a bicycle-shaped birthmark on their left thigh.
    As long as things are left open to personal interpretation, anything's possible.

It's just common sense.

8. Skillzwalker

Skillzwalker Jedi Master star 3

Oct 24, 2015
    And one of the SW saga's greatest assets is that it leaves so much to personal interpretation.

Must admit I find some of the threads here lately frustrating where people are wanting, even demanding at times, definitive answers to minor/trivial things which IMO are deliberately left for the viewers own interpretation. None of them IMO take much thought but it seems some viewers want 4 hour movies with absolutely everything spoon fed to them on a plate. Why though? Star Wars has always been mystical and we have always had to think/dream/intepret the movies ourselves, its part of it greatness.

9. dragonchic

dragonchic Jedi Master star 3

Nov 9, 2015
    Turning into a broken record, but:

1) Luke has already had a female love interest in the new canon, i.e. Nakari Kelen in Heir to the Jedi.

2) Mark seems to be cool with fans interpreting things however they want. For example, he's also been supportive of people asking if Luke is FtM transgender, even though we know Luke was born biologically male in ROTS.

3) Regarding Rey's parentage, being gay doesn't mean you can't have biological kids nor does having biological children mean you're straight.

Coruscanti and T-R- like this.
  10. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    I also don't think that Mark is going to spoil potential future plot points, even by implication. It's also why I take Daisy Ridley giving her own opinion with a grain of salt as well. It's their viewpoint (and probably a bit of having fun with the fans as well), not a reference to future story points.

11. {Quantum/MIDI}

{Quantum/MIDI} Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2015
    Is this even relevant for the press to be talking about this?

357hermon likes this.
  12. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Luke can't be gay because he had hots for females, he can at most be bi.

Darth_Sprocket and T-R- like this.
  13. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    It does seem like he could be bisexual, then.
    We'll probably never know if he is, though.

He might not even be aware of it himself.

Either way, as stated, Mark's remarks (pun intended) are not to be taken as hints.

Prisic Duskleap likes this.
  14. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Unless we see him fall for Poe Dameron, the hottest man in the universe, it will remain a mystery.

15. Thrawn082

Jan 11, 2014
    I mean it seemed pretty obvious that he had at least some level of attraction to Leia in ANH. So there's that.

16. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    Then we'd get a love triangle with Finn. Seems Finn and Poe could be an item.

17. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    He was inexperienced and clearly mistook their instinctive, familial bond for romantic affection ;)

18. Dagobah Dragonsnake

Dagobah Dragonsnake Jedi Master star 4

Feb 7, 2016
    People are reading way too much into what Hamill said. I believe he was - in his Mark Hamill way - expressing his opinion that sexual orientation was no big deal. It is an off-the-cuff statement to demonstrate inclusiveness.

Luke had the hots for his sister for a good portion of the OT, for heaven's sake ... though forgiven due to ignorance.

Rey Skywalker possibility still lives.

guittarjedi and AmySolo like this.
  19. JediLight

JediLight Force Ghost star 4

May 31, 2001
    He was interested in Leia until he found out she was his sister. He's not gay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

guittarjedi and Darth_Sprocket like this.
  20. AmySolo

AmySolo Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 12, 2016
    I mean to be fair the entire planet loves Harrison Ford and Sean Connery. Everyone falls for Poe and it has zero impact on their sexuality. [face_mischief]

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  21. Thrawn082

Jan 11, 2014
    Oscar Isaac is just THAT darn charming and charismatic. Heck that might be a big part of the reason why JJ and co decided to let Poe live, they just couldn't bear the thought of losing Oscar. ;)

AmySolo likes this.
  22. miasma

miasma Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 29, 2013
    I think Poe is a bit young for Luke, but there were rumors about them bringing back Lando for Episode 8... [face_batting]

TigerCraneFist likes this.
  23. Gabricjen

Gabricjen Jedi Master star 3

Dec 16, 2003
    please make it stop.

Jedirush2112 and Darth_Sprocket like this.
  24. AmySolo

AmySolo Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 12, 2016
    No.

TigerCraneFist likes this.
  25. Thrawn082

Jan 11, 2014
    Oh it's all in good fun. ;)

AmySolo likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.