main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Interesting reason why Natalie Portman won't let her son watch SW movies

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by JediChipKelly, Aug 27, 2016.

1. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    If I was Natalie, and I am not obviously, the first movie I would want my children to watch would be something I won an academy award for.

2. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    Pretty dark & harrowing movie though. Also brilliant.

JediChipKelly and Bazinga'd like this.
  3. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    Most of her more highly rated movies are set in that tone, V is for Vendetta, The Professional, etc.

Darth Downunder likes this.
  4. The Krynoid Man

The Krynoid Man Jedi Master star 3

Dec 24, 2015
    Can't say I blame her, it would probably be very upsetting for a 5 year old to see his mother dying onscreen, even if he realised that it wasn't real.

5. Sepra

Sepra Force Ghost star 5

Jan 14, 2016
    Didn't Natalie Portman say that she had never watched Star Wars before she got the job in TPM? I don't think she's a fan really.

Also, all kids are different and react differently to movies. I assume she knows her kid and doesn't think it's for him at age 5. No biggie.

Erkan12 and Deliveranze like this.
  6. Mother of Dragons

Mother of Dragons Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 29, 2015
    She said her son is aware of Star Wars because of Lego Star Wars and loves Yoda. She hasn't shown him the films but I'm sure it's inevitable he'll see them some day. She's now pregnant again apparently so now would probably not be a good time to show RotS to him, with the whole dying in childbirth thing. Just imagine that child going to school though - his mom is Queen Amidala!

7. Nanaki

Nanaki Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 5, 2016
    I know Natalie has been on record as claiming that Star Wars "ruined her career" (an assessment I simply don't buy, since Star Wars is what got her exposure to begin with).

As for her son, Closer is a much more disturbing film in her filmography to show him than Star Wars (and that's even when he becomes old enough to see such a film). It's one thing for him to see his mother's character die in such a heartbreaking fashion, but I would never show someone a film where his mother plays the role of a stripper.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

8. Sepra

Sepra Force Ghost star 5

Jan 14, 2016
    Natalie Portman never said Star Wars ruined her career. She wrote a small paragraph in an article about Mike Nichols saying that he helped her get the role in Cold Mountain when she thought no one was hiring her.

And I'm sure no one is asking her if her 5 year old is watching Closer. But people are probably curious about Star Wars. It's a natural question.

9. Nanaki

Nanaki Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 5, 2016
    Well, I hope for his own sanity that not only does he not see that movie, but that his peers never see that film as well. I am well aware of how Justis Mustaine got ridiculed as a child over his father's past drug abuse all because his peers saw the Megadeth episode of Behind the Music. Portman's son may get the same ridicule over her role in Closer.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

10. SithLord28273

SithLord28273 Jedi Youngling

Sep 22, 2016
    It is her choice but I think she can at least let him watch TPM, AOTC, ANH, ESB and ROTJ but have him watch ROTS when is 13.