main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Interesting thing at the Theatre today...

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by DEATHstickJUNKIE, Jun 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SithSorceress

SithSorceress Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 13, 2002
    Thank you Luke Clone, my misstep.

Bookedout, I'd be much too frightened to tease a sentator!

Better?

2. Bookedout

Bookedout Jedi Youngling star 3

May 7, 2002
    Thanks Luke_Clone, I'm glad somebody got it!
    Hmmm, Senator Bookedout, I wish it were so!
    :)

SithSorceress, you're not gonna believe me, but that was an unintentional typo on my part too. I guess I just typed what you typed without thinking about it. Too funny! I better clean up my act before this turns into another "embarrassing" thread and I get refered over to a "Social" thread.

Next post I'll actually have an AOTC story to share. Promise! :)

3. Luke_Clone

Luke_Clone Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    LOL you're both very welcome. :)

But getting back to "interesting things at the Theatre," I saw a boy and his dad looking at SW toys in Toys R Us. The father was reading all the names off to his son and the kid was smiling the whole time. ;) I thought that was rather cute.

4. SithSorceress

Jun 13, 2002
    Hmmmmmm. No, Bookedout, I don't believe you!

As for a theater story, when my brother's friend went to see LOTR, and the elf king came on-aka Agent Smith-his whole theater said in unison "Hello, Mr. Anderson."

Yes, I know it's not a SW story, but I thought it was funny. Flame away.

5. darthsidious32

darthsidious32 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 26, 2000
    Yea, my grandparents on my dad's side really love movies. My grandpa just bought "The Matrix" recently!

They absolutely loved Men In Black, and they love the Star Wars movies. It's really cool when old people love the saga.

EDIT: Oh, and I just read more of the posts, and I see that people were also mentioning other people besides elders that commented on AOTC.

The best comment I heard was, "That was WAAAAY better than Spider-Man." It was from someone in his 20's I think.

6. Blue_Viper

Blue_Viper Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 12, 2001
    My wife's first real star wars experience was going with me opening night for AOTC. She liked it, wants to see it a 2nd time (i've seen it 3 times), and since I've told her what the other episodes are about, she wants to watch the others on video, and she can't stand the 3 year wait for Episode III. She likes Jar-jar too

Anyway, my interesting thing at the theater happened at Monsters, Inc. during the "breathing" trailer. Apparently the kid behind me was hiding his eyes when the darth vader breathing started, because his mother was saying "why are you hiding? it's darth vader. You know who darth vader is." I thought it was funny.

7. SithSorceress

Jun 13, 2002
    Bookedout-What do you mean "embarrassing thread"?

Or do I not want to know?

8. Bookedout

May 7, 2002
    Wow, SS, how soon they forget. It was that whole Anakin dream sequence thing. Just remember, you started it, though, and led us all down the dark path! (just kidding). :)

I plan on going to see AOTC next week, probably for the last time (that makes 7). Our Digital theatre is dropping it before 4th of July weekend. There has always been a good group of people there in a wide range of age groups. Think I'll drag a few friends with me too, then go over to Best Buy and pre-order the DVD. Woo hoo!

9. SithSorceress

Jun 13, 2002
    Bookedout-Ha! I forgot about that. The"Is the confession scene the most embarrassing" thread. That was interesting. What's funny is that I started a tread, maybe 10 minutes before dahveed started that one, called "The Confession scene-Is it the best?"

Hm.

Actually, I'm going to see AOTC in two hours! And tomorrow I'm going to see Minority Report. God, I love movies. :)

10. sk8lbd

sk8lbd Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 2, 2002
    My best AOTC theatre experience was on my 7th viewing. The theatre was near empty (Thursday matinee in a small theatre) so my friend and I decided to act out all the lightsaber scenes with our toy sabers in the back of the theatre. It was so awesome. Probably the most fun I'd had at a theatre since...

11. AttackoftheCorn

AttackoftheCorn Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 6, 2001
    I had an EXCELLENT experience at Star Wars last week...

My parents are in their 'near retirement' years of life and are of the intellectual nature, they both went to Ivy League schools. Both like opera, concerts, and their favorite movies tend to be Citizen Kane and Casablanca. They are definitely NOT cultural snobs, but they couldn't care less about Spiderman, and will watch LOTR on DVD only because I recommended it.

When it comes to Star Wars, they made sure to find time to see at the biggest theater in the area. Of course they didn't have to twist my arm to see it again.

They loved it (and both of the liked TPM too, which they saw in the theater without me). My mother thought Natalie's costumes were beautiful, while my father thought Count Dooku stole the show. They both thought Hayden was very good, a nice departure from the one note male characters that are often seen nowadays. They also understood the mythological references, as well as the commentary on the military and dictatorship. My mom thought at first it would be silly to see Yoda fight, but then said that it actually was very exciting and we shouldn't think of things just from our own perspective. In other words, whos to say a two foot tall green dude can't kick ass?

I could go on and on, but it was really incredible to see them enjoy the movie so much, and not from a nostalgic point of view because they took me to see the OT.

Perhaps the funniest/best part about it is now my father refers to me as his padawan. For example, while we were playing golf he said to me in a grand voice "Nice drive my padawan, you learn well."

Its just outstanding to see that Star Wars can be enjoyed and appreciated by different generations.

12. Bookedout

May 7, 2002
    Thanks for sharing that great story, AOTC. While reading it something profound hit me. This saga is a legacy that we will pass on to our children.

When I was growing up it was Baseball that brought fathers and sons together. Future generations will have Star Wars. I now understand why George Lucas went back to when Anakin was so young in TPM. This is a message for us, and to the children of future generations, that we have the power to make the right choices, no matter what our circumstances. The concepts of right and wrong, duty and honor, loyalty and discipline are all there for us to share in epic proportions. I can't wait to pass on what I have learned! :)

13. AttackoftheCorn

AttackoftheCorn Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 6, 2001
    Thanks Bookedout, I am glad you enjoyed it. I think that you are 100% correct about passing Star Wars down from generation to generation. It IS modern mythology. Its also why I save all my toys from years ago, even though some of which are worth a lot of money, so that my future children can enjoy them.

I forgot to mention in my previous post...

My parents also love how Star Wars reminds them of the serials that we so often talk about. Its different to hear about them as opposed to someone who actually experienced them when they were youger.

Also, we watched the Connie Chung/Lucas interview and they were horrified at how dumb CC was. We got into a discussion about how Hollywood looks at GL and they remarked "Its all jealousy, they are jealous of his success and talent, why else would they spend so much time ripping him apart? If you don't like something, say so and move on, there is no need to be so hateful other than for the reason that they are jealous."

14. Bookedout

May 7, 2002
    AOTC, your parents are very cool!

I just had the funniest experience at Target on my lunch break. I decided to peruse the action figures and noticed a little girl (about 6 yrs old) and her mother going through them. Her mom picked up a figure of Diplomat Jar Jar and said, "hey honey, here's Jar Jar, don't you want him?" to which her daughter replied, "No, I don't want him, he's stupid". Her mother and I smiled at each other and I said to the little girl, "Hey, take it easy on poor Jar Jar, he's okay". And she looks at me, puts her hands on her little hips and says "Well, then you need to go back and see the movie again, don't you!" I was floored. Her mother and I just shared a surprised look for a moment and then we both cracked up. Too funny! :)

15. SithSorceress

Jun 13, 2002
    Bookedout- I was about to make a sarcastic comment about your being "profound" when I read your last post. I was like that when I was six-maybe a little brattier. She's right, too. I just saw AOTC again, and the Dellow Felligets was...well, Jar Jar never really bothered me, I think it's cute that George used him-three years after people lost it over his character-to hand the galaxy to Palp on a silver platter, on the intention of doing us a favor. Nice!

But Dellow Fellagits did irritate me a little.

And the fireplace scene didn't bother me like it did last time-I guess I was prepared for the dialogue, and Hayden was actually pretty good. Though I may be slightly biased there.

16. Bookedout

May 7, 2002
    Hey, SS be nice to me okay? I realize that the things I find to be "profound" might be fairly basic to the rest of the world. Maybe I'll change my log-on name to include "Gump" in the title! :)

And for some odd reason, yes, I can see you being that way at 6 too! But you've shown restraint and I appreciate it. I'll have to let that little girl know that the name SithSorceress has already been taken (lol)! :)

17. Darthkarma

Darthkarma Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 30, 2000

Kudos to Bookedout and Attack of the Corn!

I love the story about your parents,
    my young padawan! ;)

Bookedout is right, STAR WARS will feed future generations information about right/wrong, love/hate, and much, much more. As you say, it's so important for the children of the future to see Anakin as a child first, to understand about choices.

18. Darth_SMITTIUS

Darth_SMITTIUS Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 16, 2002
    Great posts, reminds me of something I read today. It was a negative critic who somewhere in his long and tedious rant said something to the effect that he liked the OT because it wasn't dumbed down and had always been one step ahead of him (maturity level I suppose). He says that the PT has lost that. But honestly, how can it still be one level ahead of him? LOL, what a loser...actually the PT probably is several steps ahead of him and he can't follow it.

Well, here's my interesting point. I came home from AOTC and my dad asked me how it was. He said "Was it bad like the critics said". I replied, shocked that he would ask such a slanderous question, "NO". I told him that there must have been a media conspiracy for reviewers to say such bad things. "Of course there is" he said in such a casual and assured matter. It seems that the average person knows of the media's hate of GL and doesn't let it phase them. Very reassuring (sp?)

19. DEATHstickJUNKIE

DEATHstickJUNKIE Jedi Youngling

Jun 16, 2002
    wow.. its cool to see my thread has grown so much (Ive been offline a few days)

My 65 yr. old grandmother asked me when Episode 2 would be on video, because she liked it so much it the theatre!

That rocks!

20. Derrinson

Derrinson Jedi Youngling

Jan 5, 2002
    Sadly, I work at a movie theatre(too lazy to get a new job), but I get to see and listen to all the reactions to AOTC. We have a Jango Fett and an R2-D2 displayed in the lobby and kids constantly come running in yelling "JANGO!!" and "ARTOO!" (with the occasional "BOBA!!!" for Jango) Just today a group of older people came out laughing hysterically and one of them said(in reference to the Yoda fight), "That was the funniest thing I've ever seen!" I guess that's good. And an older woman with her kids were discussing the characters with the typical "Oh, Anakin was so heroic" and "The queen was so pretty". What was really cool was when a little boy came running out of the theatre at the end of one show with a blue lightsaber and ran down the hallway swinging it around and making the buzzing noise. :D During opening weekend, there was a group of about six or seven little kids dueling outside the theatre with the hasbro lightsabers(they were pretty good too ;)) And, oddly enough, as I was driving through my neighborhood yesterday, I saw the usual kids playing basketball, etc. But I also saw two kids(maybe ten or eleven) in their front yard dueling with the Anakin Hasbro sabers. It's fun to see people getting into Star Wars again :D

21. StarFett

StarFett Jedi Master star 2

May 28, 2002
    Never counciously wittnesed any one out of the usual generation. What I mean by that is I may have but have forgotten.

"Kid #2: Who doesn't? Everyone likes Star Wars! "
    Actually it's true. The thing is though that not every one is willing to admit it.
    ;)

As for crowed reactions I went to the first day (second) showing. There some one shouted out "Are you ready!?" after the sound test fallwed by some clapping. Also we had the crowed cheering/luaghing when Yoda came out.
    Truly wonderful is the experience of seeing a movie where every one is moved by it.

-StarFett
    "I love this show...."

22. SithSorceress

Jun 13, 2002
    Bookedout-Hey, be nice to Forrest Gump-He was right, Life is like a box of chocolates. Every bite is twenty pounds.
    Hmm. Are you profound as well as non-suicidal? And classy? Wow. I'm impressed. Sort of.

Good-bye for two months-I'm going to The-Land-Of-No-Internet, though G-d knows why anyone would invent such a place. Sayonara.

23. Bookedout

May 7, 2002
    Sith Sorceress, we'll miss you while you're gone (to Cleveland? Just kidding). But we'll leave a light (saber) on for you! It's been a lot of fun. Take care. :)

24. SithSorceress

Jun 13, 2002
    Senator Bookedout-
    Thanks. Do leave that light on. Posting again will bring warm feelings to my heart...

(Cleveland?)

25. Bookedout

May 7, 2002
    "Cleveland?"

Just guessing/joking on where "The land with no internet" might be.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.