main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Intermission - A Vignette (post-TPM AU: Qui/Ani, Kenobi & Palpatine)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by corellian-jedi, Jan 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. corellian-jedi

corellian-jedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 4, 2005
    Title: Intermission
    Author: corellian-jedi
    Timeframe: A few days post-TPM (32 BBY)
    Characters: Qui-Gon Jinn, Anakin Skywalker, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Palpatine
    Genre: AU, drama
    Summary: 12 years after he left the Jedi Order, Obi-Wan Kenobi returns to Coruscant with a new mission. He is drawn to the recently apprenticed Anakin Skywalker, and has some loose strings to tie up with Jedi Master Qui-Gon Jinn. Palpatine observes all with great interest, while plotting exactly where does each one fit in his master plan.
    Notes: References made to JA #1 and #2. Also references made to TPM and ROTS.

Intermission
    -A Vignette-

?I thought Senators were supposed to be boring.?

?Do I disappoint you?? Obi-Wan teased.

Anakin tilted his head to the side. ?No! I like you. I think you?re better than all of them.?

He laughed a sound that often warmed the hearts of friends and rivals alike. ?Thank you, Ani,? he said, ruffling the boy?s hair. ?I?m glad to have the approval of a hero.?

Anakin beamed. ?The Queen thanked me for saving her planet.?

?She is right,? remarked Obi-Wan. ?You have my gratitude as well.?

?Obi-Wan?I mean, Senator Kenobi??

He interrupted, ?Call me Obi-Wan. There?s no need to uphold formalities between friends.?

Anakin relaxed. ?My Master says to always address politicians by their proper titles.?

?Then consider me an exception.? Obi-Wan leaned forward. ?Ani, my help will be offered anytime you need it. Remember, you are always welcome.?

Anakin abandoned the Jedi decorum, and hugged him tightly. Obi-Wan hesitated a fraction before returning the gesture.

?I?ll miss you,? Anakin said fervently.

?I know,? said Obi-Wan. ?But we will meet again.?

?How do you know?? asked Anakin curiously. ?Master Qui-Gon says a Jedi?s life is very complicated.?

A dark look crossed Obi-Wan?s features, but it disappeared quickly. ?I have a feeling,? he said, ?that our destinies are intertwined.?

They broke apart reluctantly.

?You and I have a bond,? whispered Obi-Wan. ?Don?t forget.?

From a distance, Palpatine watched the exchange with great interest.

?---------

Qui-Gon leaned casually against the doorframe. ?You?re good with kids.?

?Hardly,? came the wry response. Obi-Wan approached him slowly. ?Anakin is different.? He smiled. ?Of course ? you already know that.?

?I see? After all these years, your senses have not dulled one bit.?

?The Force is with me, always,? he said with conviction.

Qui-Gon surveyed the Senator from Naboo carefully. The young man barely resembled the boy he left behind on Bandomeer more than twelve years ago. In fact, he might have dismissed the notion that this serene, dignified Senator was once an emotional, desperate Jedi Initiate altogether?had it not been for the eyes. His eyes were still the expressive, colour-changing orbs Qui-Gon remembered. His eyes brought out an aura of sincerity, a mask of innocence.

?Master Jinn?? Obi-Wan still spoke with the same crisp Coruscanti accent. Only now, there was a note of confidence in his voice.

?I was thinking about a boy I used to know,? Qui-Gon told him.

?A boy. What was he like??

?Reckless, talented ? intelligent, and ? extraordinarily stubborn.?

He recalled an old memory. ?Yes, Qui-Gon. I can do it. I will do it.? He could still see the boy?s determined face, and remembered with a twinge of regret that Obi-Wan had offered to give up his life to save him.

??But always kind,? he finished gently.

Obi-Wan held him in a warm gaze. ?What do you think happened to him?? he prodded, already sensing the answer.

?He grew up.? Qui-Gon offered him an almost apologetic smile. ?Suddenly, I remember why I was so drawn to him.?

He blinked and looked surprised. ?Do you?? He hesitated, but he wanted to know. ?Do you remember why you pushed him away??

Qui-Gon neither flinched nor looked away; he simp

2. lil_kenobi_obi

lil_kenobi_obi Jedi Youngling

Nov 19, 2004
    =D= Excellent Story you have here, and this was just a Vignette. :D I was wondering if you have any other stories connected to this one, or is it just what it is...a vignette? If it is, you must make a Sequel...or even a Prequel. [face_batting] please? lol, well I tried :p

3. elenka18

elenka18 Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 15, 2005
    This is a very original idea.
    I never read anything like this before.
    Exellent story and I hope you might continue with it...

4. MegumiFuu

MegumiFuu Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 6, 2003
    Awesome! That's what I thought when I wasn't even half way through this vig. Now that I finished it, the thought has changed to totally awesome . Wonderful interaction between Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon; I loved seeing them work through some of their issues. As for Obi-Wan and Palpatine, all I can say is creepy. You have written the master manipulator very well (jealous over here :p )

I hope that you will consider writting more in this alternate universe. Hmmm, maybe some more posts concerning AotC and RotS. I want to know if Obi-Wan stays true to the light or if Palpatine convinces him to go Darkside.

Great work!

5. Stella_Ripple

Stella_Ripple Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 29, 2005
    Wow! What a concept!! =D= Amazing job! And you have a great handle on the characters you know- Palpatine's conniving palm rubbing oiliness- perfect! Qui Gon's retained his native gentle mysteriousness, ani is... well, predictably confused and a great job on showing how obi has developed- his reactions are really believable! A very convincing AU! But there's a lot of potential for more you know [face_batting]

Lovely to see you back on the boards by the way! :D

6. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Wow, that was really superb. Loved how it seemed that Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon reconciled in part and that Obi-Wan seemed to be content. That end though... just left shivers up my spine. Wouldn't mind seeing this continued and a PM if it is. :D :D

7. corellian-jedi

Jun 4, 2005
    Replies:

Healer_Leona

Yup, Obi and Qui were genuinely sincere in their reconciliation. Trust Palps to try and mess everything up! :( So far, this is just a vignette, but I'll give you PM notice if I decide to continue or write any accompaniment pieces.

Thank you for reading!

Stella_Ripple
    And you have a great handle on the characters you know
    [face_blush] Thanks ... Palpatine has always been hard to write - glad it worked out. I'm glad you like my alternate universe.

I'm trying to update "Mirage" and "Circle", so I probably won't expand this fic for now. The idea is very intriguing, I admit. Once again, thanks, m'dear![:D]

MegumiFuu

Thank you for the wonderful reply. [face_love] I'm delighted that you liked the interaction between Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon.
    As for Obi-Wan and Palpatine, all I can say is creepy. You have written the master manipulator very well
    [face_devil] No telling what Palps has in mind... Obi-Wan is really caught up in it. But also keep in mind that at this point, he hasn't fallen to the dark side yet - and perhaps he might not at all.[face_praying] (I purposely left it up in air.)

I hope to write more in this alternative universe eventually - as soon as I find some time! *sigh*

Once again, thank you!

elenka18
    This is a very original idea.
    I never read anything like this before.
    Exellent story and I hope you might continue with it...
    Thank you, very much! I'm happy you liked the concept. ;)

lil_kenobi_obi

First reply!:* Thanks.

So far, it's just a vignette; I don't have anything else written for this universe right now. Since there seems to be some interest, I might write some more in this AU in the future. (... a prequel sounds interesting...)

Thanks to y'all![:D]

8. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    Ohh, this was excellent. =D= I loved how Palpatine left things hanging with Anakin. And Obi-Wan, of all people, as a senator. Guess he won't have qualms in the future about Anakin trusting politicians. [face_laugh]

If you continue with this, prequel or sequel, please do PM me. :D

9. corellian-jedi

Jun 4, 2005
    Replies 1/10:

JadeSolo

Thank you![:D]
    And Obi-Wan, of all people, as a senator. Guess he won't have qualms in the future about Anakin trusting politicians.
    Nope. :p The irony of it ... "She is a politician. They are not to be trusted." And of course, Palpatine's a sly devil as usual; he can't give away too much!

I'll certainly give you a PM if I eventually decide to continue with this.[face_peace]

10. jedipati

jedipati Jedi Grand Master star 3

Aug 12, 2000
    Oh, I like this. PM me if you ever write more

11. LadyMacBeth

LadyMacBeth Jedi Youngling

Jul 25, 2005
    GREAT vignette! Absolutely loved it.

What a creative AU-verse. And the characterizations were well done! Good job with Ani and Palps.

I like how Obi-Wan ended up killing Darth Maul anyway - even though he wasn't raised as a Jedi. Nicely done!

Hope you write a sequel/prequel. :)

12. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Wow! Please include me on the PM list if you ever decide to continue this. And really, this is WAY too good to stop here! Don't you think? [face_thinking]

13. leia_naberrie

leia_naberrie Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2002

Even as a vignette which reads more like a prologue than a complete story, this still stands solidly on its own - at the cusp of brilliant possibilities, all the more intriguing for its finis. Well done.

14. JediVegeta

JediVegeta Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2000
    Oooowhee! Cool vignette! Nice twist there on if Qui-Gon did not take Obi-Wan as his apprentice. The ending! I especially loved the ending with Obi and Palpatine. I would love to see what would happen next... Awesome job portraying everyone also! A continuation would be nice....[face_batting] lol!

Great idea and great work! Keep it up :)

15. DreamCatcher12

DreamCatcher12 Jedi Youngling

Oct 12, 2005
    Here was a boy who, like him, tried to break through the barriers of the hardened Jedi warrior, and succeeded where he had failed.

that's a big one, isn't it? :(

He was an innocent child caught up in a conflict he was neither responsible for, nor had power over. Anakin was now that innocent child. No matter how much it had hurt, Obi-Wan could not, and would not to the same to this boy.

Finally, with this realization, he felt himself truly come to terms with the one failure in his life that has caused him so much pain. His people always praised him not only for being a shrewd politician, but for being a compassionate human being. This was his strength. It will always be his strength.

beautiful passage ..... very well written in general! i love the way you've characterised the different roles. and palpatine ..... wow!! so darth maul died by obi-wan's blaster, creative.

this is a must continue! ;)

16. Fat_Bird

Fat_Bird Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 1, 2005
    How did I miss this when it was posted?! Great story but please tell me that there will be more.

17. AngelQueen

AngelQueen Jedi Master star 4

Mar 1, 2001
    Oh wow... :eek: :eek: :eek: corellian-jedi, this is an excellent AU! The parts with Palpatine manipulating both Obi-Wan and Anakin are just... *shivers* creepy...

If you do decide to continue on with this AU, I'd love to get a PM as well. This has the groundwork for an awesome story! =D= =D= Outstanding work!

AQ

18. corellian-jedi

Jun 4, 2005
    More Replies:

AngelQueen

If you do decide to continue on with this AU, I'd love to get a PM as well.
    Certainly, I will give you a PM if I decide to continue! Thank you for the compliments. [face_blush]

Palpatine is quite the manipulator...[face_devil]

Fat_Bird

Thanks for the interest! [:D] I appreciate it very much! I think I've intrigued myself ... so I might write something else in this AU.

DreamCatcher12

:* Thanks, dearie!
    that's a big one, isn't it?
    It must certainly have stung (no matter how noble Obi is) to know that Anakin achieved what he once strived diligently for.

And Maul just couldn't escape fate: a sudden death at the hands of Obi-Wan Kenobi.[face_whistling]

JediVegeta

Nice twist there on if Qui-Gon did not take Obi-Wan as his apprentice.
    I've always wondered about an AU on those lines - I'm glad you liked it! I tried to leave the ending as ambiguous as possible ... perhaps TBC'ed on another day.;)

Thank you for reading!:D

leia_naberrie

Glad you liked those passages!
    ...this still stands solidly on its own - at the cusp of brilliant possibilities, all the more intriguing for its finis. Well done.
    Thanks, very much! :)

VaderLVR64

And really, this is WAY too good to stop here! Don't you think?
    Ahhh! Be careful you should! [face_shame_on_you][face_whistling] It's almost starting to sink in ... [face_hypnotized]:D But I'll certainly send a PM if I pick up with this. Thanks!

LadyMacBeth

Thanks, girl, for the enthusiastic message! [:D] I'm considering a sequel or prequel ... so I'll keep you posted! (Thank you for reading this viggie.)

jedipati

I'll definitely do that if I write more! Thank you!;)

Wow, thanks everyone! I'm keeping note of all those who have requested PM's if I eventually continue with this. Once again, merci.:D

c-j

19. Princess_Arulmozhi

Princess_Arulmozhi Jedi Master star 4

Nov 16, 2004
    Lovely viggie. How did I miss this?! The way Obi-Wan came to terms with his past was beautiful. And Anakin. And Qui-Gon. [face_love] Beautiful, beautiful.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.