main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Internet Warning (All Read ASAP)

Discussion in 'Denver, CO' started by Bravo, Apr 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bravo

Bravo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 10, 2001
    Okay, I know I have not been here in a while, and I am sorry for that. But, we have a promblem that could affect everyone at theforce.net! My internet service is Federal funded, because my father works at a public school. Well, 97% of my internet time is spent at school, after I get all my homework done. Well, my school, Littleton High School, is testing a new flittering )sp?) system that blocks out all non-school related sites, and that includes theforce.net. I have written a reply to the people who run this system, to get the theforce.net unblocked, because I also do homework here (read my last post in the Literature forum). But, I don't think it will work. The main thing is this, All federal funded internet services (Schools, Libaries, Hostipals, Fire Houses, etc.) will have this new system in, and as law starting on Sept. 1st, 2002. This means, I will be blocked out from the theforce.net. This law is national wide also, since its federal law, so this will affect everybody. And, since Littleton High School is have a month long test, Denver Public Schools will come next (maybe), and then Jeffco Public School (maybe) (Where my Father works), will come, and then everybody else in Colorado who has a federal funded internet service (maybe). I don't know this for sure, hence why I put (maybe).

For me, my father has agreed, that I can buy my own internet service, but I am not the richest person in the world here. I have to pay for it, etc. Which I will do, now the question is this: How much does it cost for the internet per month? And, I don't know when I will get my own internet service, but probally not until the summer.

-Bravo

2. Qui-Gone-Drinkin

Qui-Gone-Drinkin Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    United Online (netzero and juno combined) costs you a whopping 9.95/month for ad-free internet service and it runs pretty well, thats how a cheap guy like me can afford to be online... its much better than forkin out 20 somethin bucks a month for AOL or some other bigtime company.

3. chunk_the_jawa

chunk_the_jawa Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 8, 2002
    I dont know i think you can get a deal thru qwest/msn for 19.99 a month as a dial up.

4. darth_hair

darth_hair Jedi Master star 5

May 8, 2001
    bravo glad you could join us !

is there a way to have that changed ? i dont think it would do much good for us to send e-mails , but if it would im sure we all would do it !

5. chunk_the_jawa

Feb 8, 2002
    I would send a few emails.

6. kitarusapien

kitarusapien Former RMFF CR star 6 VIP

Nov 19, 2001
    Go with the first option or Earthlink...they have the best service and support for $20/mo.

7. Jedi Girl of Corellia

Jedi Girl of Corellia Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 23, 2000
    I know it's about $40 for cable internet...but it's absolutly worth every penny.

This law doesn't apply to private schools right?

8. Obi_Wannabe

Obi_Wannabe Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 17, 2002
    I had not heard of this, but after some checking, it seems that this law is being challenged in a case that just ended today in an Appeals Court. A 3 judge panel will decide in May on a possible permanent injuction against the law, it goes to the Supreme Court for challenges either way after that.

Link to the story on news.com

9. chunk_the_jawa

Feb 8, 2002
    it will keep thing's out of the school that shouldnt be there. but I think they could do that a better way.

10. Obi_Wannabe

Mar 17, 2002
    I'll get political for about 5 seconds.

The only thing that shouldn't be in Schools are people other than students and educators, specifically legislators with agendas that have nothing to do with improving the quality of learning which is the only thing anyone should be worried about.

Opposing viewpoints will never be discouraged by me, but I won't get into a back and forth about it.

11. darth_hair

May 8, 2001
  12. kitarusapien

Nov 19, 2001
    Wannabe....call for you from the Senate.....

13. PtrsonsZOO

PtrsonsZOO Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 30, 2001
    Okay, ZOO steps onto her soap box. . .

I am fed up with the government deciding to become parents for every American. My main problem w/ this is that they are not the best example of what a person should strive for in life. For example: adulterers, disbarred attorneys, dead beat dads, absent parents, filanderers, check fraud perpetrators, appropriations whores, drunks, addicts, & drunk drivers. And that's the light stuff, afterall I grew up 15 minutes from the nations capitol, so I am intimately familiar w/ the indiscretions of our illustrious members of congress.

When will the hypocracy end in this country?

ZOO steps down from the soap box and pounds fist into the plaster. . .

"Fwhew, now I feel better."

14. kitarusapien

Nov 19, 2001
    Only when the American people fully realize that while the Feds are strong, the will of the people is stronger, and we have always had final say as to WHO gets into office. It's our bed, and we have to sleep in it.....that's why I'm independent, and pullin' like hell for changes in this country!

15. darth_hair

May 8, 2001
    who's with me . pants to rule the world !!!!!!!

16. Obi_Wannabe

Mar 17, 2002
    I guess we know who wears the pants in that family. (Sith Chick of course)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.