main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[Internet] We're moving

Discussion in 'Communications' started by FateNaberrie, Jan 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    Well then I suggest when the new boards are up and we have to re-register then we start a thread and a select amount of mods are allowed to give the address away thru pm first. The user pms the mod and if they have the correct reg date then the mod can pm them back with the link. Like it could say now taking pms from 99 to 00 and so forth.

I know its going to take alot trust from both sides. But to ensure everyone is happy and gets their user name its the best way. Or allow some of the older users to beta test it as well and move everyone in slowly to the new board.

~PK~

2. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    Well then I suggest when the new boards are up and we have to re-register

on my lord!

YOU WON'T HAVE TO RE-REGISTER

Just thought I'd shout in the hope that someone reads it.

We are MOVING not RESTARTING.

[/outburst]

3. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    Sorry I met to say if we have too. My bad.

~PK~

4. malkieD2

Jun 7, 2002
    No worries, it's for many other people as much as it was for you.

5. carmenite42

carmenite42 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 21, 2003
    honestly, malkie, there wasn't really mass hysteria until gaven's post

The worst case scenario is that we don't get moved at all, we just start over fresh.

Granted "worst case scenario" doesn't mean "definately," but it does put that idea into peoples heads, and I think for the most part, people weren't even considering that until it was said by an admin.

Also, comments like
    I suppose we should all be grateful for the time we've had here, the people we know, and the time we have left because honestly speaking, this move could be the death blow to the community. I am optimistic that the move will go over smoothly, but I am also a realistic person.

I'm just discouraged that something so wonderful and something so many people have worked so hard to build in six years could be wiped away with one decision.

and

Our words on this board are not set in snow, in many ways it seems like they are written on beach sand while the tide is coming in.

Sadly, that is the truth.

when made by moderaters are only really helping to feed the hyesteria.

Now this isn't meant, in any way, to say that these mods are bad people or anything. We're all human, and this is pretty much a surprise for everyone, and some things were probably said without thinking. I don't fault them for saying these things - I'm just saying that's probably where the hysteria comes from. If the people in colors are panicking, the rest of us too.

Bottom line is that it's happened before. Yes some names were lost, yes some posts were lost, yes some threads were lost. But we're all still here, which means that it wasn't the end of the world as we know it (© Urk).

It's time like these when it would be REALLY nice to have mods that were around when the first move happened - not necessarily as mods, but just as regular users. DLM was able to give some input - I was around, but I was new enough that I don't really remember the general thoughts, but people that can calm some fears would be good.

6. Iwishiwasajedi

Iwishiwasajedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 24, 2002
    Yeah the think I am most worried about would be stolen usernames. However, if it is a move, and not a re-start, that shouldn't be a problem.

I have to say, I would get pretty pissed if someone took "Iwishiwasajedi."

As long as this move does not occur in during the ROTS time period, we should be alright. The march rush usually begins around March 10th and will continue right on through the 2nd week after the release, so as long as the move is made before or after then, things should flow smoothly.

Actually, if the transition is made afterwards, it might do a good job of cleaning up users who join and then stay around for 3 weeks to spam, bash, and flame up the spoilers forum.

7. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Great post, carmen :).

8. OBIX1

OBIX1 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 7, 2002
    Man,I hope everything can be transferred too. I've spent the last 2 1/4 years here getting 7,500 posts. It would be hard to start over again. But if that's what happens,it's ok. I'll still stick around regardless. :)

9. -_-_-_-_-_-

-_-_-_-_-_- Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 28, 2002
    I am going to speak my mind and be honest, I think some people can appreciate that. The basic truth is that people aren't ignorant and we all know nothing lasts forever.

10. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    But no-one "owns" the usernames.

Okay, malkie, I know we're "moving" usernames and all. But I'm just wary of what happened back in the 2000 move.

If some usernames are lost and one of mine is amongst them and some ***hole goes and registers with mine, I'll be pretty pissed.

I would say that I do "own" this username.

And in the case that some or all usernames are lost in the shift and some sick people re-register with other people's noticed and established usernames, that is thievery. Stealing. Robbery.

Don't tell me no one owns the usernames. People own the usernames they mainly use. (I'm not concerned about socks).

EDIT: Besides, what do we do in the case of people who access the JC through dynamic IPs ?

When someone can't register his username and sees it on the new boards posting, he can contact the site staff using the e-mail he registered the username with on the old boards and say it isn't his. Or, he can simply go contact a mod via AIM.

11. malkieD2

Jun 7, 2002
    Well, to put your mind at rest, our forum consultant has just posted in the MS. He hasn't provided much more information, however his experiences and abilities speak for themselves.

He's moved bigger communities than this, and has many years of experience.

Imagine Winston 'The Wolf' Wolfe and you'll be about there.

carmen - I can see your point, but I personally have been completely positive throughout

12. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    I think carmen was more trying to stem the flow of sky-is-falling or negativity (such as it is). Thus far, I think several moderators have been pretty helpful and/or positive, and likewise for regular members here.

In short, I think the point was to keep the eye on the ball of optimism, rather than wax too sentimental or farewell-ish.

13. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    Well, to put your mind at rest, our forum consultant has just posted in the MS. He hasn't provided much more information, however his experiences and abilities speak for themselves.

Whew. That's good.

14. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002

That's good news, to say the least. Thanks for the update.

15. ThrawnRocks

ThrawnRocks Jedi Master star 6

Apr 10, 2004
    I think the point was to keep the eye on the ball of optimism, rather than wax too sentimental or farewell-ish.

Actually, being pessimistic can be a good thing in a situation like this. if people are expecting the worst, then it won't be nearly as bad as they anticipated, makeing them less miserable.

16. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    My confidence is high regarding this move, especially after Astaran's post. Moving the basics like names, passwords, post counts, etc... are the easier things.

17. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Jan 23, 2002
    Actually, being pessimistic can be a good thing in a situation like this. if people are expecting the worst, then it won't be nearly as bad as they anticipated, makeing them less miserable.

Well, this isn't really much of a big deal if you think about it. Anyone who might get depressed over a Star Wars board really needs a life. :p

18. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Not if an existing system like vBulletin is used. If it's certain that vB (and any other system) will be bypasssed in favor of something new, it would be helpful to say that, given that current speculation seems to favor vB.

Also, as a note, there are quite a few people in the MS these days with considerable corporate/college IT skills who are capable of bringing much to the table. Some are known, some aren't known, but we've got a good cast in there for a multitude of support for Philip, Astaran and the JC as a whole...

19. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Jan 23, 2002
    Just curious, is it possible the consultant might make a public post here?

20. carmenite42

carmenite42 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 21, 2003
    Being a pessemist can also cause mass panic.

Well, as much mass panic as can happen for an internet message board...

21. -_-_-_-_-_-

Apr 28, 2002
    Just curious, is it possible the consultant might make a public post here?

He said he was going to add some things to the FAQ as soon as he got the chance.

22. Jeff 42

Jeff 42 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 14, 1998
    Can you guys honestly say there are so many things about this system you'll miss? I remember when we first got here everyone was complaining how ugly Snowboards was and how much they hated it. How ironic to see everyone waxing sentimental about it now.

Don't you remember what the boards were like after the move? They really were terribly ugly. Here is an archive of the JC's front page from August 2000 (that's not the actual banner from that time, but the board listing is as it was). And this is what threads used to look like. No left column with usernames and icons (UBB didn't have icons when we were on it, but there was a left column with usernames and titles). Also, there were no markup codes or smilies. And the stars were an eyesore. We had private messages for the first time, and that was definitely a good thing, but in almost all other ways the move to Snowboard was a step backward at the time.

I also remember that the move happened without much advanced warning. Threads active in the two months prior to the move were transferred over, but I was on a family vacation and never knew about the move until after it happened. So I never got the chance to up old threads that I wanted to save. Hopefully things will be handled better this time.

23. -_-_-_-_-_-

Apr 28, 2002
    Things have definitely come a long way and I think we are very lucky to have this template for the next board system we use.

24. -Lord-Vader-

-Lord-Vader- Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 15, 2003
    someone please direct me to the post where it says were moving.

25. milney

milney Jedi Master star 5

Aug 21, 2003
    are the easier things.

So what are the difficult things Sapient?

I am curious now. Seeing as all of those are part of a database file, I would've expected the move to be easy. Are the hard things features on the snowboards system?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.