main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[Internet] We're moving

Discussion in 'Communications' started by FateNaberrie, Jan 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scardanelli

scardanelli Jedi Youngling star 4

Sep 2, 2004
    With all the new mod and admin tools, it hardly seems worthwhile transfering people's user notes to the new boards. Gotta be more trouble than it's worth. Tabula rasa's the way forward.

2. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    A clean slate for all of us, huh?
    I don't know if the admins would go for that, but I'm all for it (for obvious reasons.)

-Seldon

3. mac-nut

mac-nut Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 14, 2001
    Kenobi, even if Moses were to lead us to the new world, we would still be abit uneasy, as it is a leap of faith anytime we do it in cyber space. :D :D :D Where is Indiana Jones when we need him ??? [-o|

4. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    I bet Indy would use a Mac. :)

5. ThrawnRocks

ThrawnRocks Jedi Master star 6

Apr 10, 2004
    I can honestly say that I trust the Modsquad as a whole that all relevent information would have been posted and will be posted to this Comms forum when the administration feels it's the appropriate time to do so.

That's all well and good, but when a question is asked that the MS knows the answer to, but doesn't feel is apropriate to answer at this time, the can ignor the question or say "no comment." I think that would be better then them lying and saying they don't know.

Or they could say "I'm not at liberty to discuss that," which I'm sure they'll enjoy doing.

6. Dantana Skywalker

Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 7, 2002
    Yes, but how would you know if we know or not?

This isn't something to get angry about. Information will get to you when you need it.

Dana

7. Pellaeon-Firke

Pellaeon-Firke Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004

The same guy who gave us the information about the move (you know who he is). That, or wild rumors. Both work.

8. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
    I'm going to do my best to keep the FAQ updated with information, and will do pretty much everything short of copy-pasting the e-mails and messages we get from above. I also want to post a questionaire in the next day or so in this forum to try to get user feedback as to wants and desires for the boards.

9. ThrawnRocks

ThrawnRocks Jedi Master star 6

Apr 10, 2004

This isn't something to get angry about. Information will get to you when you need it.

I'm not angry at all. In fact, I don't really care, but when it was discovered through means of hacking that the MS was holding back on us, it seemed that some people were upset about the fact that they had been lied to.

10. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Nobody lied about it.

11. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    http://forums.gencon.com/

I don't know what type of forum it is. But it has pm's and some of what we have here. Minus the things I think are important. All I really need to have is pm's and WUL. I'll be happy with that. But I know they have PM's on that board but no WUL. Which I love cause its easier to pm your friends that way. Okay thats my latest input.

~PK~

12. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    ThrawnRocks...
    "I'm not angry at all. In fact, I don't really care, but when it was discovered through means of hacking that the MS was holding back on us, it seemed that some people were upset about the fact that they had been lied to."

Lie? No one lied. And again, it needs to be reiterated, just because someone posted a hacked thread does not mean anyone was holding back.

It simply means that the administrations' timetable did not match a hacker's timetable, which is really shouldn't be anyone's concern at all.

13. The_Chim

The_Chim Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 2001
    So what's the newest/ latest suspicion everyone is having with the switch.

I dare not ask if there is any new info on this whole fiasco.

14. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
    I'm not angry at all. In fact, I don't really care, but when it was discovered through means of hacking that the MS was holding back on us, it seemed that some people were upset about the fact that they had been lied to.

Lied to? That?s going a little far. It?s more than fair to say that we didn?t tell you everything right away, but it would also be a mistake to assume that we knew much more than we were saying.

At 10:24am on the 13th, DarthSapient posted that Philip Wise had requested a new administrator be created. At 3:56pm on the same day, the new administrator was noticed, and within seven minutes an administrator publicly posted everything known about the new administrator. So, we withheld some information in that case, specifically we didn?t tell people that a forum consultant had been added for purposes still unknown to us. Given that we knew nothing more than that a forum consultant had been hired, I think that we were somewhat justified in not saying anything right away. In my opinion, it could have waited until either a) we actually knew something, or b) the next Mod Squad update. It was by no means urgent news as it was. And as I said, once the subject was raised, we publicly told all we knew.

At 12:09pm on the 16th, Philip Wise posted information on the purpose of the new administrator. About four minutes later, a copy of that was posted at millenniumfalcon.com. At 12:25pm, a link to the copy on millenniumfalcon.com had been posted on these boards. At 12:46, a moderator noticed that the link had been posted publicly, and at 12:47 the link was edited out. At 12:58, a moderator told users who had seen the leaked information that they knew as much as the Mod Squad did, which was true. After that point, moderators were in the thread, constantly answering questions as they were brought up. After about 16 hours of this, an administrator realized that many questions were being repeated, and so created a FAQ at 4:33am. It didn?t have a lot of information at first, because the Mod Squad didn?t have a lot of information. Astaran posted information midway through the day, and the FAQ was updated within an hour.

Have we posted e-mails and Mod Squad discussions verbatim? No, we have not. Should we be expected to? Debatable perhaps on an issue like this, but my feeling is that we should not. They were posted in private forums, and it?s reasonable to expect that if those posting them wanted them to be public in their entirety, they?d be posted publicly. In my opinion, we?ve probably been more transparent and forthcoming as a group about this than we?ve been about any subject in Mod Squad history. I don?t think that we?ve withheld any kind of relevant information, and I definitely don?t believe that we?ve lied. If we do have a fault here, it?s that we didn?t move as quickly in getting some pieces of information out as some people would like. But given that this was information posted in the Mod Squad, I think that it?s understandable that no one wanted to post the information publicly without either some sort of consensus or the go-ahead from someone with some authority over the situation.

If you think that not having the information within an hour of us having information that came as a surprise to us is withholding information or being lied to, that?s you prerogative. I personally do not consider it so. Like Genghis just said, just because a hacker was online when an administrator was not doesn't mean that we were not being forthcoming.

15. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    I think the administration has been pretty open about information so far, and I don't think we've been lied to. The information has changed along the way, which is just how it goes with something like this.

16. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    Anybody who feels lied to, just needs to step back take a deep breath and say to themselves this is just a Star Wars Message Board and the Mods are doing their job. Back in the Dark Ages of Information between the JC and the Mods this is a big step. Even if the information unforantaly got posted out before its due time.

I'm sure the reasoning was what we were seeing much of here in this very thread. Why create mass hysteria before you know anything? Why get everyone over-excited, nervous, and anxious over something thats not happened yet? You don't want to do that, especially in their position. So like I said take a deep breath and regain yourselfs. They're doing their job and by no means does doing their job mean answering our questions on this subject. They could tell us Chicken Little is the new owner and leave it at that.

But they chose not to, once they got a feel for what was going on. So lets all just breath.

~PK~

17. flowerbee

flowerbee Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 29, 2004
    Lied to... erh... no. I think that this was handled to the best of the mods capabilities.

18. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    About all this saving threads and stuff...

Couldn't the new board system be up and the database be copied over BEFORE this one is killed? Then we could see what made it and what didn't.

19. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    It would be pretty stupid not to. You can pretty much count on a backup database being created to fall back on should anything happen.

20. mac-nut

Apr 14, 2001
    Why are some people getting their panty hose/jock strap in a bunch? :confused: The rent went up; we can't afford it; we gotta move. Why is there so much drama as to when us peons found out? We're not in management, so we hope they keep us informed as they can. As to which moving company is going to tow our board to the next star, it's their responsibility to get the bids. Our responsibility is to up our fav threads so they can be included in the move, backup our fav stuff, threads, bios, PMs, just in case we get hit with a vader attack of some sort. and hang in there with alot of patience. We will survive this move just fine. Sapes is a good driver. I trust him... ;) :) :D [face_peace]

21. The_Chim

The_Chim Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 2001
    ^ On that.....

I agree.
    We should stop acting like there is something that we as users can do about this whole thing. Except maybe do what mac recommended we do. Save anything you might miss in the future. It would be a shame to see something special eaten up by the prune monster, or get lost in the void between the swtich. We have control over nothing, basically. So just sit back and watch as the Administration does what only they can. Then stop all the talking and go out and do something else. The boards will continue on, just somewhere else is all.
    Most importantly, stop the talk.

Also,oin a side note. Nice use of metaphors in that post mac-nut. I was impressed with the extreme use. :p

22. mac-nut

Apr 14, 2001
    *bows low to chim* thank you, kind person. :) :D

my next wish is to watch Sapes walk on water for us, as he maneuvers this move with what's his name who was sent to us to part the red sea to the next star. Lorne Greene, we need you now !!! :p

23. -_-_-_-_-_-

-_-_-_-_-_- Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 28, 2002
    I don't think anyone could put it anymore eloquently than how mac-nut said it.

24. mac-nut

Apr 14, 2001
    ermmmmm, could someone tell us how to archive our old threads and locked threads? or do the locked threads need to be unlocked so we can archive them? We old farts in the geriatric ward would like to archive our old locked threads for our posterity..... well, if someone tells us how to. ermmmm, pu-leez ??? [face_batting] [face_blush]

25. JediPriestess

JediPriestess Jedi Master star 4

Jul 28, 2004
    You guys keep all that old stuff? As long as I get my user name Im good. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.