[Internet] We're moving

Discussion in 'Communications' started by FateNaberrie, Jan 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: JoinTheSchwarz, LAJ_FETT, Ramza
  1. DarthSapient Jedi Youngling

star 10
    From Raven's FAQ sticky thread...

<b>What is the timeframe for this move?</b>

Astaran has addressed this issue directly as well. This will be done within weeks rather than months, well before the release date for Revenge of the Sith.
  2. PrincessKenobi New Films Manager of DOOM

Manager
    star 6
    Well what you can do is, open up Adobe then click on file and create online pdf file. You'll have to register with them but then after you register you get 5 free ones online. You then submit your link to be converted over and they'll do that for you and they give you choices how you want it sent to you. After its done depending on how you do it, it'll open right there and then (which is how I did mine.)

Then it will open up in Adobe and then there is a button that looks like a little Disk and you can click on it and save the file. If thats not good enough or you want to know more. I think it also explains how to do it at the website.

~PK~
  3. hear+soul Force Ghost

star 6
    We're moving?!

What the?!

Why?!
  4. Boba_Fett_2005 Jedi Knight

star 1
  5. kingthlayer Force Ghost

star 4
    We're moving?!

Sooner or later.

What the?!

Yeah.

Why?!

Phil Wise?
  6. Knight1192 Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Forum Consultant. That doesn't sound good. Sounds more like someone whose job it is to decide what needs to be trimmed and what changes would make things more affordable for TF.N
  7. Iron_Fist Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Forum Consultant. That doesn't sound good. Sounds more like someone whose job it is to decide what needs to be trimmed and what changes would make things more affordable for TF.N

From the news we've got, his job is to assist and facilitate the moving of the forums, and to give the ModSquad advice, help, and news regarding the move. Philip Wise has apparently said that he is willing to spend money to ensure a smooth transfer over, which is probably a good sign. Of course, I think the major cost-cutting option (i.e. not taking IGN's $2,000/month offer) has already been taken, so I doubt any more will occur, and I think that the boards will be smoothly moved over with little problems, if the news on Astaran's extensive experience is correct (which I'm sure is). :)

I_F
  8. TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod

star 10
    Also, while Wise always has the final say, of course, Astaran tries his best to work closely with the administration.
  9. DarthSapient Jedi Youngling

star 10
    Astaran has been wonderful in all of this. As he knows something, he tells us. He answers as many questions as possible and he is very reassuring. His confidence and knowledge are very comforting and evident.
  10. Morgaine Ex-Manager

star 6
    Well, that is great for you, but it doesn't help much to reassure us regular users I'm afraid.

It would be highly appreciated if Astaran made a post here in Comms where everyone can see it, or if at least on of you admins updated the FAQ every time he released new information about the move.

Oh, and I have a question: Assuming that zerosleep will not be moving with us (since he works for IGN, not TFN), who will be taking over his job? Will Astaran stick around after the move, or will our tech admin gain new responsibilities? Or will a new person be added to the team?
  11. hear+soul Force Ghost

star 6
    I would like to retain these emoticons and have more added.
  12. mac-nut Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I thought TFN/JC contracted zerosleep whenever we needed fixups, addons, and other hands-on expertise??? Since it is separate contracting, we should be able to contract zerosleep to keep us trucking as he knows our needs and has his history with us.
  13. DarthJurist Admin Emeritus

star 5
    I think the various programs being looked at have active development teams so that any technical issues can be immediately addressed by the people that created or maintain the systems.

zerosleep works for IGN, specifically to work on snowboards. IGN owns the code for snowboards, and for a while there was no work being done on the boards because IGN chose not to pay zerosleep to work on it. We had no control over it. A year or so ago, IGN chose to hire him back, and we receive updates as IGN requests them. We were able to bring problems to him, but ultimately he answers to IGN, not us.

I?d be very surprised if he had any involvement with the new boards beyond helping us move the data.

~H~

edits:// can't type tonight
  14. Dingo Force Ghost

star 5
    Except mac-nut, that zerosleep has only been involved with the JC because he is the guy who originally wrote the SnowBoards software, and is the only person that has really ever been able to solve any of the bugs that appear due to the servers and also update the IGNBoards software we use now. His obligations and ties with the JC would terminate at the same moment the IGN contract does.

Past that, I'm also interested in the question that Morgaine has brought up.
  15. Knight1192 Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Thanks Iron_Fist, that puts me a little better at ease.
  16. mac-nut Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    ok, thanks. my mistake. was just hoping he could still be apart of us as he's been here so long. [face_plain] :(
  17. Maulfly Moderator Emeritus

star 7
    I'm not sure if it's buried somewhere in the previous 9 pages, but I didn't see the answer in the first post (assuming anyone knows for sure at this point).

I know the expected timeframe is supposed to be that the move will take a matter of weeks once it begins.

My question is if we know when the move is supposed to actually begin?
  18. DarthSapient Jedi Youngling

star 10
    The only thing we've been told is that it's in terms of weeks as opposed to months. That's literally all we know regarding timeline.
  19. Maulfly Moderator Emeritus

star 7
    Thanks. Figured it couldn't hurt to ask just in case. ;)

Well, probably safe to say the move will hopefully be before the movie release...probably, maybe before CIII even...at least one would think that would seem logical. Also, would hope they'd give at least a week's notice...

Then again, they'll do it whenever and however they dang well please. :p
    *decides to keep archiving a few things here and there while she can*
  20. Coruscant Force Ghost

star 6
    Is vBulletin still the most like possibility?

If so, I think I found the best example yet of a vB forum- Chamber of Secrets Forums, the boards of the largest Harry Potter site on the internet- www.mugglenet.com

21. Darth Mischievous Force Ghost

star 6
    So, I have to pack my posts and move again, huh?

Last time we did that I lost 3,500 posts or so, but I thankfully kept my username.

I hope I get to keep my original username if we move, or I will make you [Tony Montana]say hello to my little friend[/Tony Montana].

[face_devil]

:p
  22. KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus

star 8
    I hope I get to keep my original username if we move, or I will make you [Tony Montana]say hello to my little friend[/Tony Montana].

As has been mentioned in the moving FAQ and in various places in the discussion here, usernames will be transferred, along with post counts and other such things.
Moderators: JoinTheSchwarz, LAJ_FETT, Ramza
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.