main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[Internet] We're moving

Discussion in 'Communications' started by FateNaberrie, Jan 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    From Raven's FAQ sticky thread...

<b>What is the timeframe for this move?</b>

Astaran has addressed this issue directly as well. This will be done within weeks rather than months, well before the release date for Revenge of the Sith.

2. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    Well what you can do is, open up Adobe then click on file and create online pdf file. You'll have to register with them but then after you register you get 5 free ones online. You then submit your link to be converted over and they'll do that for you and they give you choices how you want it sent to you. After its done depending on how you do it, it'll open right there and then (which is how I did mine.)

Then it will open up in Adobe and then there is a button that looks like a little Disk and you can click on it and save the file. If thats not good enough or you want to know more. I think it also explains how to do it at the website.

~PK~

3. hear+soul

hear+soul Jedi Master star 6

Nov 5, 2004
    We're moving?!

What the?!

Why?!

4. Boba_Fett_2005

Boba_Fett_2005 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 1, 2005
  5. kingthlayer

kingthlayer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 7, 2003
    We're moving?!

Sooner or later.

What the?!

Yeah.

Why?!

Phil Wise?

6. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    Forum Consultant. That doesn't sound good. Sounds more like someone whose job it is to decide what needs to be trimmed and what changes would make things more affordable for TF.N

7. Iron_Fist

Iron_Fist Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 30, 2003
    Forum Consultant. That doesn't sound good. Sounds more like someone whose job it is to decide what needs to be trimmed and what changes would make things more affordable for TF.N

From the news we've got, his job is to assist and facilitate the moving of the forums, and to give the ModSquad advice, help, and news regarding the move. Philip Wise has apparently said that he is willing to spend money to ensure a smooth transfer over, which is probably a good sign. Of course, I think the major cost-cutting option (i.e. not taking IGN's $2,000/month offer) has already been taken, so I doubt any more will occur, and I think that the boards will be smoothly moved over with little problems, if the news on Astaran's extensive experience is correct (which I'm sure is). :)

I_F

8. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    Also, while Wise always has the final say, of course, Astaran tries his best to work closely with the administration.

9. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    Astaran has been wonderful in all of this. As he knows something, he tells us. He answers as many questions as possible and he is very reassuring. His confidence and knowledge are very comforting and evident.

10. Morgaine

Morgaine Ex-Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 2001
    Well, that is great for you, but it doesn't help much to reassure us regular users I'm afraid.

It would be highly appreciated if Astaran made a post here in Comms where everyone can see it, or if at least on of you admins updated the FAQ every time he released new information about the move.

Oh, and I have a question: Assuming that zerosleep will not be moving with us (since he works for IGN, not TFN), who will be taking over his job? Will Astaran stick around after the move, or will our tech admin gain new responsibilities? Or will a new person be added to the team?

11. hear+soul

hear+soul Jedi Master star 6

Nov 5, 2004
    I would like to retain these emoticons and have more added.

12. mac-nut

mac-nut Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 14, 2001
    I thought TFN/JC contracted zerosleep whenever we needed fixups, addons, and other hands-on expertise??? Since it is separate contracting, we should be able to contract zerosleep to keep us trucking as he knows our needs and has his history with us.

13. DarthJurist

DarthJurist Admin Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 10, 2000
    I think the various programs being looked at have active development teams so that any technical issues can be immediately addressed by the people that created or maintain the systems.

zerosleep works for IGN, specifically to work on snowboards. IGN owns the code for snowboards, and for a while there was no work being done on the boards because IGN chose not to pay zerosleep to work on it. We had no control over it. A year or so ago, IGN chose to hire him back, and we receive updates as IGN requests them. We were able to bring problems to him, but ultimately he answers to IGN, not us.

I?d be very surprised if he had any involvement with the new boards beyond helping us move the data.

~H~

edits:// can't type tonight

14. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    Except mac-nut, that zerosleep has only been involved with the JC because he is the guy who originally wrote the SnowBoards software, and is the only person that has really ever been able to solve any of the bugs that appear due to the servers and also update the IGNBoards software we use now. His obligations and ties with the JC would terminate at the same moment the IGN contract does.

Past that, I'm also interested in the question that Morgaine has brought up.

15. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    Thanks Iron_Fist, that puts me a little better at ease.

16. mac-nut

mac-nut Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 14, 2001
    ok, thanks. my mistake. was just hoping he could still be apart of us as he's been here so long. [face_plain] :(

17. Maulfly

Maulfly Moderator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    I'm not sure if it's buried somewhere in the previous 9 pages, but I didn't see the answer in the first post (assuming anyone knows for sure at this point).

I know the expected timeframe is supposed to be that the move will take a matter of weeks once it begins.

My question is if we know when the move is supposed to actually begin?

18. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    The only thing we've been told is that it's in terms of weeks as opposed to months. That's literally all we know regarding timeline.

19. Maulfly

Maulfly Moderator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    Thanks. Figured it couldn't hurt to ask just in case. ;)

Well, probably safe to say the move will hopefully be before the movie release...probably, maybe before CIII even...at least one would think that would seem logical. Also, would hope they'd give at least a week's notice...

Then again, they'll do it whenever and however they dang well please. :p
    *decides to keep archiving a few things here and there while she can*

20. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    Is vBulletin still the most like possibility?

If so, I think I found the best example yet of a vB forum- Chamber of Secrets Forums, the boards of the largest Harry Potter site on the internet- www.mugglenet.com

21. Darth Mischievous

Darth Mischievous Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 12, 1999
    So, I have to pack my posts and move again, huh?

Last time we did that I lost 3,500 posts or so, but I thankfully kept my username.

I hope I get to keep my original username if we move, or I will make you [Tony Montana]say hello to my little friend[/Tony Montana].

[face_devil]

:p

22. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    I hope I get to keep my original username if we move, or I will make you [Tony Montana]say hello to my little friend[/Tony Montana].

As has been mentioned in the moving FAQ and in various places in the discussion here, usernames will be transferred, along with post counts and other such things.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.