main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Interpretations of the Final Scene

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by otherworlds, Apr 12, 2017.

1. otherworlds

otherworlds Jedi Youngling

Feb 22, 2016
    So after watching a few times and noticing Luke and Rey in the ending scene, their facial expressions seem to suggest to me that Rey is worried about how Luke will respond (does he want the lightsaber or not and maybe there's something unresolved between them and her worry is from what he might have to say) and Luke does look rather annoyed at her.
    What do you think of this? is there any significance in looking at their faces as a give-away to their emotions? maybe you think it tells us something or i'm reading into it too much, but it's something i've wondered about to quite an extent

J7Luke and Lulu Mars like this.
  2. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    I think it's ambiguous. Certainly Rey is circumspect at first. And then determined.

Luke's is at first a look of recognition, then a decidedly rueful one.

INCONCLUSIVE! I say.

J7Luke, Lulu Mars and Ricardo Funes like this.
  3. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    When Luke sees Rey, it looks like he is trying to understand who she is, like searching his memories. He also looks surprised a little bit.

Then when the Lightsaber of Anakin is presented, he changes his expression a lot. He was not expecting that. And there is sorrow and regret coming through his expression.

J7Luke, Lulu Mars and Martoto77 like this.
  4. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2005
    I noticed that too, it was a bit hard to read.

5. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    Yeah, there's definitely sorrow in Luke's face. And doubt. Like, is he ready for this? Does he want to train another Jedi?
    And Rey! Yeah, she's... determined, yet, like Luke, doubtful. What will he say? Will he accept me as his apprentice? Will he tell me to go away?

One of the best scenes in the entire movie, definitely. Perhaps THE best. The whole journey's been leading up to this moment and it delivers! It's the mother of all deliveries :)

Ricardo Funes and Martoto77 like this.
  6. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    Quality acting above all.

I agree that Luke is questioning himself if he wants to train another Jedi. And Rey is doubtful, is Luke going to accept her?

Quality acting.

7. Anakin.Skywalker

Anakin.Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2016
    I agree, quality acting.

But I'm not going to attempt to do much interpreting. :p

J7Luke likes this.
  8. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    TITLE CHANGE TO SOMETHING FOR MORE GENERAL DISCUSSION.

9. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    Yeah, Rey is probably doubtful, but I think it's more that she's desperate for Luke to accept both the lightsabre and her (they represent different things) and gets overwhelmed by her fears of rejection (she's come all this way and has waited so long) and anticipation for what's to come (Luke is mythical to her). Her arc in TFA is about reconnecting with life and family and my feeling is that as Luke is her father, he's both her literal and metaphorical father at this point (being the one who will 'raise' her in the ways of the Force). I think she's aware of this.

Also, she's an empathic character and I think she's reacting to Luke's emotions as well. Basically, all the feels.

Ricardo Funes and J7Luke like this.
  10. Beercorn

Beercorn Jedi Youngling

Apr 5, 2017
    My interpretation is that Abrams screwed up by not ending on a flat shot that you can sit there and admire like a picture.

I liked the ending scene, but I hated that revolving helicopter shot that it closes on.

11. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    I'm not crazy about that shot either. I guess it shows how events are really in motion now.

But it kind of looks a bit cheap next to the lovely material surrounding it.

12. fastcooljosh

fastcooljosh Jedi Master star 2

Mar 15, 2017
    I hate cliffhanger endings.

J7Luke and Anakin.Skywalker like this.
  13. Millennium Falcon 888

Millennium Falcon 888 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    Luke definitely has a curious look on his face, when seeing Rey for the first time (probably thinking "Who are you and how did you find me?")... Followed by one of concern and sadness after she handed out that Lightsaber...

And yeah, that helicopter shot was kinda out-of-place for that scene... It would have been good to just cut to the credits, right after the camera pans back to Rey and her determined face, while holding the Lightsaber! =D=

14. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    That didn't occur to me before, but I think you're right!
    It's also illustrative of their emotional states.

I haven't been very bothered by the helicopter shot, but now I positively like it!

15. King Prana

King Prana Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 19, 2017
    I read something online not too long ago about how using a combination of the script, novel and the film itself allows us to gain a little more insight into specific scenes, including the final scene with Luke and Rey. Its still ambiguous of course but the novel says this 'Luke doesn't need to ask her who she is, or what she is doing hereā€¦ his look says it all.
    This leads me to believe that Luke definitely knows who Rey is.