main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Interracial dating...

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by I_Hate_Sand, Sep 7, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jamiebacca

Jamiebacca Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2003
    Whose the silly one, the Wookie or the one who opens him?

By the way, everyone in this thread pretty much agrees that interracial dating is no big deal (including myself). My wife and I are both white, but we've each had lovers of different colour shades in the past. Who cares?

2. FlamingSword

FlamingSword Jedi Knight star 6

Jun 4, 2001
    Me: I think there's two different types of dating: inter-racial and inter-ethnic. The former is purely based on prejudices of the past.

Jamiebacca: Huh? What about regular dating?
    You mean if I ask out a black woman tonight, that's based on prejudices of the past? Wha?

Could I be any less clear? :p

You may have figured what I was trying to say by now, but maybe not. Anyways, what I meant to say is this:

There are two types of "interracial dating" that I see here cropping up. True inter-racial dating and inter-ethnic dating. The first one is dating a person of another race, regardless of their culture. The second one is dating someone of a different ethnicity.

When I go date a black man, he might come from exactely the same background that I do. If I were prejudiced against him, it would only be because we were prejudiced in the past and it's carried over to my generation.

When I go date a staunch Iranian Muslim, there will be many cultural differences. We don't have the same values, the same ideals, the same beliefs, the same food, the same family structure, etc. You could be prejudiced against a culture without actually knowing how well you fit in that culture. But there are problems to be overcome that you wouldn't have if you dated someone of the same culture. You would both have to be very willing to work on your differences for it to work.

I just forgot why I typed that.

Everyone does agree pretty much that interracial dating is okay, so is there much of a point left to argue?

3. Jamiebacca

Jun 17, 2003
    No arguments here. I just initially didn't know what you were trying to say, now I do.

Cultural clashes can be messier than racial ones, especially with dating. Ever see what happens in Ireland when a Cathy and Prezzie mix?

Core, bli'me!

4. DevilsAdvocate

DevilsAdvocate Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 29, 2001
    Interracial dating will remove any differences we have. Everyone will be a light brown color. Everyone will be of the same height. If we don't mix, we're distinct and more varied.

5. Jamiebacca

Jun 17, 2003
    Interracial dating will remove any differences we have. Everyone will be a light brown color. Everyone will be of the same height. If we don't mix, we're distinct and more varied.

Then racial discrimination will be a thing of the past.

Good riddance.

6. DevilsAdvocate

Nov 29, 2001
    What's wrong with uniqueness? Why do we all have to be the same? Some colors are just better than others.

7. farraday

farraday Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 27, 2000
    That may be true but I haven't seen a blue person yet.

If you need your skin colour to make you unique there's nothing else to say except you're a horribly horribly boring person.

8. DevilsAdvocate

Nov 29, 2001
    Yeah, skin color is nothing. Neither is hair, dress, personality, taste, or anything. Let's all dress the same and cut our hair the same. If we depend on those for uniqueness, we're boring.

*sarcasm*

9. farraday

farraday Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 27, 2000
    Devilsadvocate to fullfil your role you need to do so in an intelligent and knowledgeable manner.

Try harder.

10. Resolute

Resolute Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 11, 2002
    Hasn't the world gotten past this petty debate? Hasn't "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner" taught us anything? Why are we still talking about this?

The idea that genes on a chromosome would prevent two people who love eachother from having a relationship is stupid in the extreme.

'nuf said.

11. Jamiebacca

Jun 17, 2003
    I don't know. Like I said before, everyone seems to agree here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.