main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Interspecies Relationships Resolved! (Well, almost...)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by DarthSkeptical, Jun 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barefoot_XO

Barefoot_XO Jedi Master star 3

Oct 19, 2004
    I would just like to make a quick point on Jabba. I would first agree that unless Leia reciprocated, there would be no real basis for this. I would further add though, that even by his own race, Jabba's obvious interest in scantily clad humanoid females is regarded as utterly perverse and inappropriate.

For Reference: The Han Solo Trilogy by Ann C. Crispin...

Just thought I'd mention it...

Jasper

2. DarthSkeptical

DarthSkeptical Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 19, 2001
    My point about Jabba was following on to a point raised in other stages if this discussion which suggested that one of the reasons for banning FanFic involving aliens and humans was that such attractions were impossible. Leia's acceptance of his advances is beside the point. The fact that he's attracted shows that such "pairings" are possible within the boundaries of this fictional world.

That Crispin mentions other Hutt's distaste with Jabba's choices in women further suggests that there's interesting conflict to be dramatically raised by such a pairing.

In other words, there is a genuine plot bunny here, as there would be with many human/alien pairings. The point isn't the description of physical acts--which probably would be fairly disgusting--but rather the reactions and feelings of the participants and the others in their lives.

Unlikely pairings are frequently fascinating, dramatically, because almost everyone will have an opinion about the subject.

Think of a common work of fiction set entirely in this world. Cheers is a good enough example. The amount of comedy generated by the actual depictions of sexual acts is nothing so great as what the characters are demonstrated as thinking about the relationships. Cheers is all about improbable relationships. People who don't belong at all in each other's worlds--aliens, for all intents and purposes--creating waves among their friends for the sake of their (usually doomed) relationships. On the face of it, for example, a Norm/Diane pairing is fairly absurd, but when you consider what the reactions of the others night be, you start to see the utility of "disgusting" relationships.

3. TKeira_Lea

TKeira_Lea Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 10, 2002
    I don't think Jabba's actions toward Leia had anything to do with attraction and everything to do with power. Much like rape is not a sexual act, but rather the use of sex to hold power over another person, Jabba chose to dress Leia scantily and run his tongue along her only to prove he had the power to so. Both acts are meant to humiliate and degrade her. Jabba is not attracted to Leia, only to the power he has over her. So I fail to see how that "pairing" can be used to argue your point.

Personally, I don't see the purpose of this thread, except to stir the waters we're trying desperately to calm. The interspecies rule has been finalized after considerable debate over many months and based on input from the site owners. I think others have already politely tried to point this out so I'd respectfully ask again that the moderators discuss whether this thread has outlived its usefulness.

4. LadyPadme

LadyPadme Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 26, 2002

My understanding is that there were some misunderstandings regarding whether or not the interspecies rule was finalized and this led to the creation of this thread.

So, I'm going to just state for the record:

For now, the issue of interspecies relationships has been settled. The rules as listed in the May 30th Fan fiction update are the rules of interspecies relationships as they will be moderated on the boards. The issue of individual pairings that may be called into question can be discussed on a case-by-case basis with a moderator. ANY questions regarding the interspecies rule can be discussed with a moderator and we'll be happy to explain them.

5. YodaKenobi

YodaKenobi Former TFN Books Staff star 6 VIP

May 27, 2003
    I don't think Jabba's actions toward Leia had anything to do with attraction and everything to do with power. Much like rape is not a sexual act, but rather the use of sex to hold power over another person, Jabba chose to dress Leia scantily and run his tongue along her only to prove he had the power to so. Both acts are meant to humiliate and degrade her. Jabba is not attracted to Leia, only to the power he has over her. So I fail to see how that "pairing" can be used to argue your point.

Exactly, Hutts are asexual. He couldn't have that sort of relationship with Leia even if he wanted to.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.