main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Interviews with Authors version 4.0 - interview with JediMara77!!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by FFAuthorInterviews, Apr 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    Excellent interview. I really enjoyed reading it!

2. KrystalBlaze

KrystalBlaze Jedi Master star 5

Aug 3, 2002
    What a great interview! I'm surely impressed with the magnitude of the questions and the responses. Insight to the mind of a genius... yeah? ;)

-Krystal

3. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    A most wonderful interview. Superb questions and even better answers. Only, it's hard to believe that P_A is so new to SW fanfic. Such amazing stories. =D= =D=

4. Zonoma

Zonoma Jedi Master star 5

Jun 28, 2005
    This is a wondeful thread, K_D! Even though I have not yet read the works of LuveEwan and P_A, the interviews were well thought out and I learned something reading the answers, too. Thank you all, interviewers and authors alike, for taking the time.

Now, I have MORE stories on my "Must Read" list! :oops::D

Zonoma

5. Zonoma

Zonoma Jedi Master star 5

Jun 28, 2005
    [face_plain]This is not the post you are looking for.

6. poor yorick

poor yorick Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jun 25, 2002
    P_A wrote: I'm also a history buff. I and a group of people I met on the net loosely connected ourselves with a research team, and went around temples, trying to read inscriptions. Poking around 1000 year old temples, trying to decipher long forgotten scripts is... certainly a different experience.

She reads Sanskrit, too. Did you know she reads Sanskrit?

I didn't. :p

I thought I was being a tricksy hobbit when I wanted to put a few "ancient dead language" snippets in my novel, and went with Sanskrit because that's what John Williams chose for the choral pieces in the PT soundtracks--like "Duel of the Fates" and "The Immolation Scene." It sounds more exotic than dead Western languages, I guess. So I found an English-to-Sanskrit dictionary online (no, really!) and I played around with the words and changed stuff and switched around definitions, because, hey, who was going to notice?

Then probably 12 hours after I posted this stuff, I get a reply from P_A: "Wait--what did you mean by that? That word doesn't mean that. And hey, this word doesn't even make any sense over here."

I was like, *what?* :eek: I knew I had a couple of readers who could pick apart Latin and Greek, so that was another reason to go out of my way to avoid those. I figured I was safe with one of the deadest languages on earth. But *no*--after I went to all that effort to scrounge up mystical-sounding ancient words (which I slung around like any old thing), I find out that *I've* got a reader who can translate Sanskrit--and did--right there in the thread.

That's when I realized I was doomed. :p Seriously, though--P_A is quite brilliant and much to humble for her own good.

She mentioned learning to find her way around through a network of stories, but she was also kind and loyal enough to stick with a dead-end of an epic novel written by a near-unknown--hanging in for months and months until I finally managed to ride that baby into the ground. For that I will always be grateful. Very few readers have that kind of staying power, and it's only been very recently that I've been able to somewhat return the favor.

Just out of curiosity--how *do* you pronounce "Arulmozhi?" It's a very pretty name . . . or word . . . probably Sanskrit. No idea what it means. :p

7. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    People never really change, you see. It's our perception of them that changes.

That's just one part of your thought process I really liked. :D Definitely that's going to stick in my head when I read your stories from now on. Great interview!

8. Knight_Dilettante

Knight_Dilettante Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 24, 2002
    A most excellent interview! I think Diane did a great job coming up with questions. (=D= Thanks Diane!) And I am completely fascinated by Princess_Arulmozhi's answers. I love learning how other writers think and write and I'm planning on rereading this interview again soon (for the tenth time or something) and really savoring and thinking about each question and answer.

And yup, I've got more reading to do now too. Isn't it great! :D

KD

9. kateydidnt

kateydidnt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 11, 2004
    That was a wonderful interview! I greatly enjoyed reading it and got to know one of my favorite authors a little better.

And Princess that is just about the best articulated explanation of Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon's relationship that I have ever read.

10. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    I agree. She's really quite brilliant and I know that her explanation of their relationship has colored how I view them now.

11. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    I should have posted here before, for the interviews with both LuvEwan and Princess_Arulmozhi. It's so nice to be able to see who is behind the great fanfiction we're reading. Perhaps we can all use that wisdom.[face_thinking] Great job for both the interveiwees and the interviewers.:)

12. Jennifer_Lyn

Jennifer_Lyn Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 8, 2005
    a wonderfully insightful interview! those responses have my head reeling with ideas and editing thoughts.

great inspiration from a wonderfully talented author!

13. FFAuthorInterviews

FFAuthorInterviews Jedi Youngling

Apr 19, 2006
    Coming very soon, an interview with the talented and lovely YodaKenobi conducted by the equally talented and lovely Tahi.

14. FFAuthorInterviews

Apr 19, 2006
    We are indebted to the lovely and talented Tahi for the following fantastically entertaining and enlightening interview:

I could describe this week's interviewee as a long-time fan of Pearl Jam and the Beatles who frequently finds inspiration for his writing in the shower. I could also tell you that his favourite SW book is [i]Dark Tide: Onslaught[/i], and that he writes the first draft of his stories in longhand. But I think I'd prefer to introduce him as a good friend and dedicated Beyond the Saga writer who has within the last three years completed not only a trilogy that functions as an alternative to the NJO, but also a spin-off story called [link=http://boards.theforce.net/Beyond_the_Saga/b10477/18632333/]Empire of the Hand[/link], an amusing account of the affairs of the New Republic written from Jaina's point of view - [link=http://boards.theforce.net/Beyond_the_Saga/b10477/19250670/?5]I, Jaina Solo[/link], and a series of goofy Star Wars-related parodies of Beatles songs called [link=http://boards.theforce.net/Beyond_the_Saga/b10477/19279944/?0]The Beatles sing Star Wars[/link].

If you guessed that I'm talking about [b]YodaKenobi[/b], then give yourself a pat on the back. Yoda is currently in the process of posting [link=http://boards.theforce.net/beyond_the_saga/b10477/22242853/p1/?1]The Age of Heroes[/link], the first book in a series that replaces the Dark Nest trilogy in his personal EU timeline; but he takes some time off here to chew the fat about his connection to Star Wars and about writing in general . . .

1. [i]Yoda, could you share some background information about yourself with us?[/i]

Well, my mom told me a few years ago that I was conceived in a trailer... or maybe it was a camper. I wasn't clear on that point but I didn't feel like asking any follow-up questions.

2. [i]LOL ? no, it pays not to go into these issues too deeply, although they say it?s always good to know one?s roots. I?m not sure if there?s a connection between campers and Star Wars or not ? but can I ask when and how you first became a Star Wars fan?[/i]

Well, there's a Winnebago in Space Balls...

I've always liked the movies as far back as I can remember. I remember playing the video games too, but I was probably more of a casual fan. I knew who Boba Fett was but I couldn't pick a Gran out of a line-up.

The release of the prequels is what turned me into an obsessed SW fan. I started reading the books after [i]AotC[/i], and well... you can see what a mess I am now.

3. [i]Oh being messed up is part of the fun ? after all look at dear old Darth Vader. What was it about the Prequels that got you hooked do you think?[/i]

The Jedi. They were so awesome in those movies, how could one not get hooked? It was all very exciting, all the different worlds, the aliens, and of course the lightsaber action. I just got totally sucked in. Star Wars has an amazing way of transporting you to these fantastical places and forgetting about real life for two hours. It's a lot of fun.

4. [i]You had a massive catch-up job there in the books if you only started after AotC. Where did you start ? prequel era or post-RotJ? And did you follow through in order or just go randomly?[/i]

I started with the Thrawn trilogy and pretty much went in order from there. I did read some prequel books here and there as I went though. I read something like 40 Star Wars novels in eight months. This is probably where the obsession took over. Anyway, I think it was actually beneficial to read the EU this way - books back to back - as I think it helped me retain a lot more of the information than I would have with big gaps between each novel.

5. [i]Oh definitely - it helps the brain make and remember all the connections, which probably explains why your attention to detail is so good in your fics.

So having kind of pigged out on the profic you obviously found your way to fan-fiction. When did you first start writing it and what drew you to it?[/i]

I started writing in July of '03 and Anakin Solo's death in [i]Star by Star

15. TKeira_Lea

TKeira_Lea Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 10, 2002
    Lovely interview, Yobi! And great questions too, Tahi :D

I really love reading about how other authors get their stories developed and also what makes them tick. So thanks to KD for giving this thread life again.

16. SilSolo

SilSolo Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2004
    Wow that's ten thousand interesting things that I never knew about Yobi.

17. LadyPadme

LadyPadme Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 26, 2002
    Great post! It was fun to read about you, Yobi!

18. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Great interview. Loved the interaction between Tahi and Yoda. But what astonished me was that Yoda wrote 10 pages a DAY! :eek: Whoa, that's a lot of work.

Anyway, loved it. Bravo to both of you!

19. Knight_Dilettante

Knight_Dilettante Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 24, 2002
    I loved learning more about YodaKenobi in this interview. Very enlightening and inspiring. (10 pages a day? :eek: )

Also, just plain fun.

KD

20. FFAuthorInterviews

Apr 19, 2006
    Coming soon, Maychorian interviewed by Dianethx!

Please do keep suggestions for authors to interview coming.

21. jagsredlady

jagsredlady Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 7, 2002
    Thanks to Tahi for that terrific interview of YodaKenobi. Well done!=D=

22. FFAuthorInterviews

Apr 19, 2006
    Once again we are indebted to the brilliant Dianethx for the following interview of maychorian which is full of insightful, thoughtful questions answered generously and the whole makes for fascinating reading.

On the fanfiction boards for about a year and a half, [b]maychorian[/b] has gifted us with intriguing, thought-provoking stories that both tantalize and refresh. Her stories are not grandiose and wide-flung epics but rather explore the wealth of the human experience in a close-knit community of characters and situations. Engaging, emotionally satisfying and beautifully written, the stories will have you coming back for more. [b]maychorian[/b] writes both alternate universe and canon stories on the Before and Saga boards.

[i]1. Could you share some background information about yourself with us? [/i]

I grew up in the Midwest. I'm the oldest of eight kids, the youngest of whom is now seven years old - there are five girls and three boys, plus my mom and dad. I've always loved to read and write, and I play piano well, also. I was homeschooled kindergarten through 12th grade, and I just graduated from a small Christian college with a degree in Professional Writing. Major influences in my life have been my family, my love of music, my relationship with God, and my passion for fantasy and science fiction, particularly that of Tolkien and Lewis.

I have my own little fantasy universe that I've been writing in since I was thirteen, which I generally refer to as "Maychoria," and that's where my user name is from. I'm sorry to say that some of it is a blatant rip-off of Lewis and Tolkien, but a lot of it is kind of original, too. I've written so much in this universe that a lot of basic thinking in spec fic is probably influenced by the rules I've created for Maychoria. But I enjoy writing lots of different kinds of stuff, too.

[i]2. When and how did you first become a Star Wars fan? [/i]

Interestingly enough, it wasn't the movies that first got me hooked on Star Wars. I'd always been a SF fan, following in my dad's footsteps, and we watched Star Trek and similar shows; I can remember watching Quantum Leap and Sea Quest, both of which I loved. I used to go in my parents' rooms and pick up the books they were reading at the time - my dad would get Star Trek novels and such. Then one day there was a Star Wars novel - the second one in the Corellia trilogy, actually. I had no idea what I was getting into, but I fell in love with Han and Leia and Luke and their family, and this unique world with its elements of mysticism and technology working side by side. After that I got my hands on all the Star Wars novels I could find, and actually had a lot of the quotes from the first movie memorized before I even saw it. I remember being quite delighted to realize that THAT was why Leia thought Luke was "a little short for a stormtrooper." Suddenly all the references made sense. That's where it started, and I've been an avid fan ever since.

[i]3. And what about fanfiction? When did you first start writing it and what drew you to it? [/i]

I really enjoy reading a certain type of story - H/C if you must know, though I didn't have that label for it until I started reading fanfic - and while I was doing an internet search once, I found one of the many Obi-torture fics that litter the internet. I had always enjoyed the Jedi Apprentice book series since I first found the second one while shopping at Wal-Mart (and bought it immediately), so I was quite delighted to discover fanfic with my two favorite Jedi. I read all the Obi/Qui stuff I could find, and though there was a lot of it, within a few months I started to run out, at least of the well-written stuff. For a little while I was disappointed, but then it occurred to me in a kind of epiphany that I very much enjoyed writing, and I could probably do just as good a job. So I decided to try.

[i]4. What or who has influenced your writing style the most? [/i]

Hmm, that's a tough one. "What" - definitely my family and the way I grew up, as well as

23. Princess_Arulmozhi

Princess_Arulmozhi Jedi Master star 4

Nov 16, 2004
    An excellent interview, May, and Diane. Loved the answers. I'm glad I could learn so much more about a wonderful author. :)

I enjoyed Yodakenobi's Interview too.

And Ish, LE, FanakinSolo, Layren, KrystalBlaze, HL, Zonoma, Ophelia (no, my name's not Sanskrit - it's Thamizh, and means 'Words of Grace,' actually :D ), jadesolo, KD, kateydidnt', Diane, ardavenport, Jennifer_Lyn ... wow, thanks to everyone who enjoyed mine. I'm truly flattered. [face_blush]

24. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    Truly an insightful interview, grandpadawan! I really enjoyed reading it! =D=

25. Tahi

Tahi Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Kudos to K_D for this thread - and lovely to read about other writers and what motivates them. I also enjoy finding out a bit about them - where they're from and their background etc. Makes you realise what a varied lot we are.

Thanks for the comments on the interview with Yoda. We had a ball doing it. :D Yes - I don't know he managed 10 pages a day! Amazing. Some days I have trouble even getting to the end of my shopping list. ;)

Some great questions here - and fascinating answers. Writing is definitely a very individual process isn't it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.