main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Interviews with Authors version 4.0 - interview with JediMara77!!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by FFAuthorInterviews, Apr 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TKeira_Lea

TKeira_Lea Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 10, 2002
    Thanks to Nat for getting the thread rolling again. I didn't realize how long ago I actually did that interview. I have added two new members to my family since then: a new dog - Diva - and a new horse - Ganner (yes, after the Jedi ;) ).

[:D] Hugs to Souderwan for asking most of the tough questions. He did have a little help from Lex too. So hats off to both of them. =D=

And thanks to everyone who's read and commented.

2. YodaKenobi

YodaKenobi Former TFN Books Staff star 6 VIP

May 27, 2003
    Great interview, TKL & Souderwan :D Very insightful.

3. LadyPadme

LadyPadme Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 26, 2002
    Great interview, TKL. [face_dancing] And great job with the questions, Souderwan!

4. Gabri_Jade

Gabri_Jade Fanfic Archive Editor Emeritus star 5 VIP

Nov 9, 2002
    Great interview, Kia. :D So, when can we expect more Mara-ness from you? Keeper of the Siege is just begging to be updated. [face_batting]

5. Bale

Bale Jedi Master star 4

May 9, 2005
    Very insightful interviews. Great job everyone. :)

6. FFAuthorInterviews

FFAuthorInterviews Jedi Youngling

Apr 19, 2006
    Just a riminder: if you have suggestions of people to be interviewed, please PM this sock. If you would like to become an interviewer, PM the sock as well. If you suggest someone to interview and want to do just that interview, that's fine :)

If you don't see your name on the list of upcoming interviews but you're in the process of being interviewed, it's because your name won't go on the list until the final copy of the interview has been sent to me. The future interviews well go in the order listed on that page.

7. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    JediNemesis interview by NYCitygurl.

JediNemesis is an absolutely excellent author. She's well-known around Fan Fic for being able to play with the emotions of her readers and for her brilliant and memorable style.

Can you give us some background information about yourself?

I'm the eldest of five kids and am currently on my gap year. So far I've worked for four months, been to Australia (I'm a dual English-Australian national and have a ton of relatives down under), written a novel (well . . . sort of), and built a shed. I've just started driving lessons and this summer I'll be working as a steward at the Globe Theatre - it's unpaid, but I do get to see the plays for free, which is a boon to a broke Shakespeare junkie like myself.

In September I'll be going to university to study English Literature, which I am looking forward to immensely as it gives me a valid excuse to know far too much about poetry and go to the theatre a lot. Aside from an ongoing quest to see all of Shakespeare's plays (23 so far, including nine in the last eight months) my main time-wasting activities are reading, writing, movies and archery.

How did you get into Star Wars?

A bit of research could probably pinpoint this to the hour. It was in August of 1999, the first or second week of the month, and I and my little sister and my dad were in Australia visiting his aunts, uncles, cousins and so on. We were staying a couple of nights with some friends of my dad's who live in Dubbo, a medium-sized place in rural New South Wales, and dad's friend mentioned casually that he would be taking their munchkin to "the new Star Wars film" and did we want to come too?

As it happened, I'd just found their stash of Terry Pratchett books and emphatically did not want to come too. I practically had to be dragged to the multiplex, sulked through the trailers, and was still sulking when the Fox logo came up. Two and a half hours later, I came out of the cinema making lightsaber noises and convinced that it was the greatest movie I'd ever seen. I never looked back.

AOTC didn't do it as much for me, regardless of my seeing it three times at the cinema, and I went through a bit of a lull. ROTS blew my mind, though, and back to the boards I duly came, keyboard buzzing. Since then I've been around most of the time, on and off.

When did you start writing fanfic?

Between TPM and AOTC, when I didn't even know what fanfic was, I wrote a 52-page story about the fall of Anakin Skywalker and the birth of Darth Vader. I've still got the typescript knocking around in my room somewhere; bits of it are actually okay considering I was 12. The oddest thing about it, in retrospect, is that I could use words like "dispassionate" and "impetuous", but entirely failed to take into account the existence of Luke and Leia. Padmé and Anakin barely spoke in this fic. Immaculate conception, anyone?

I also wrote part of a truly bizarre Star Wars musical. Thankfully it never got finished.

I bibbled quietly along until June of 2003, three months after I'd signed up here, when I posted my first-ever vignette; that's what I think of as 'proper' fanfic as it were, when I knew what it was I was writing.

How did you find the JC? Have you posted fanfic elsewhere?

I can't remember how I found TFN, but I was a regular on the (now defunct?) TFN Humour page ages ago, and found the Archive from clicking on the sidebar links. From the Archive there were links to the boards, but I never followed them because frankly it all looked a bit complicated and scary. Then I posted a comment to dianethx's story But... in the Archive, saying it deserved a continuation, and she emailed me back with the link to Betrayal. I joined up in March 2003 just to reply to that story (and have been following it fairly faithfully ever since ).

The only things posted elsewhere than TFN are a couple of drabbles posted on a board set up by a group of JCers. I don't know if it's still extant. I've never been to fanfiction.net or

8. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Nem, what a great interview. I love that you are willing to work for free to see the plays, lucky you! And I look forward to seeing you Before stories. You don't post enough!

Probably my favorite of your stories is &end. Chilling, rivetting and so very sad. I was so happy for you when it got into the Archives. Well deserved!

I remember and still miss very much our fun time on As the Furniture Flies. I wish it was still going on. Such silliness and it forced me to write humor. I still read it, too. Loved it, loved it, loved it! I especially remember JadeSolo's recaps. Classic!

As for Biff the bodyguard [face_love], he was originally written in as a cameo by Shaindl but she let me run with the character so most of Biff's appearances were mine. I adored the man - he would be in the worst trouble and come out smelling like a rose when everyone around him smelled like sewage. Ah, the good old days. [face_laugh]

Lovely to see your interview. Great job.

9. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Excellent interview Nem. :D :D

10. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Excellent interview! &end is such a superb work, it's an emotional punch in the gut. Everything you write is amazing, and it's great to learn a bit more about you! :D

11. MirandaFair

MirandaFair Jedi Master star 4

Jun 13, 2005
    Wow, what a great interview. =D= I enjoyed the questions. It's wonderful to learn more about you, JediNemesis. I wish you lot's of luck this summer at the Globe Theatre. As a huge Shakespeare fan myself, that is such a great opportunity. I'd love to hear about your experiences! [face_good_luck]

12. 1Yodimus_Prime

1Yodimus_Prime Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2004
    Really cool interview! Loved the poem at the end!
    Your coloring work is beautiful, by the way Nevmesis. I love them. And I continue to be floored by your exceptional writing talent. (even if I do lurk more than I respond :D )

13. Luton_Plunder

Luton_Plunder Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 15, 2006
    Wow, brilliant interview =D= The answers were brilliantly insightful, and the questions were very good with some very original ones in there :D

14. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    Oh.My.God...ATFF!! The sewage tank explosion still gives me nightmares. [face_laugh]

Nem, when I first started reading your work, and Shaindl told me you were only 14, I thought, no way! Now that I know what you read in your spare time, I can absolutely believe it. I can barely understand Shakespeare, so your nerdiness impresses the hell out of me. :p Not to mention everything else you read - I've only read one of Bernard Cornwell's novels, but I loved it.

Also, I'm going to use "bibble" in a sentence today. I like that word. :p

15. oqidaun

oqidaun Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2005
    I'm totally jealous of your unpaid stewardship at the Globe. That totally rocks. :D

Excellent interview!!

16. Souderwan

Souderwan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 3, 2005
    Wow! These were some awesome interviews! Thanks to those of you who said such wonderful things about mine.

It was really cool learning about DarthIshtar, Knight_Aragorn, oqidaun, and JediNemisis! And, of course, it was a whole lot of fun interviewing TKL.

And I agree with oqidaun, I'm completely jealous of that stewardship at the Globe.

17. JediNemesis

JediNemesis Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 27, 2003
    Hey hey! It's up! :D Thanks NYCG for interviewing me; it certainly made me think about odd things I hadn't really consciously looked at for a while. :)

Diane -- I should post more. You're right and I am guilty :_|

Yodimus -- I didn't know anyone looked at my poor dead art thread. Thanks [:D]

Jade -- I think I invented "bibble". I demand royalties :p

And thanks to everyone wishing me luck at the Globe. I've been thinking of starting a thread to document anything interesting [face_thinking]

I only found this out after giving NYCG my answers, but apparently one thing the Globe do give you (as well as free tea, overalls and all the blank verse you can eat) is a spot in the programme. Last, admittedly, after the technical staff and security guards, but it does mean that I'll be in the same program as Tim McInnerny, which is kind of cool :cool: He's playing Iago this season, which should be excellent. But of course I'm having trouble not thinking of him as Percy from Blackadder [face_laugh]

Thanks again - I'm glad people liked it :)

18. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    I had so much fun with this!!! I loved seeing your answers to the questions; you have such a fun life!! (Much as my feelings on Shakespeare aren't the same as yours ;) as you know, working at the Globe--and being on the programs--sounds like a lot of fun). You're a brilliant author (and I love your poem!!)

Sorry about the lack of intro, I completely spaced :( Will redo now :)

19. oqidaun

Jul 20, 2005
    You're in the programme?
    At the Globe.

I've even more jealous.

Tim McInnerny plays Iago and you're in the Programme?

Double that jealousy.

You rock!!!

Long live Shakespeare geeks! :D

All that and I'm floored by your writing! Sorry, I forgot to bring that up in the first post, but I was distracted by the Globe notoriety.

20. Gabri_Jade

Gabri_Jade Fanfic Archive Editor Emeritus star 5 VIP

Nov 9, 2002
    I don't believe I've read anything of yours on the boards yet, Nemesis, but I have read &end and In Memoriam at the Archive, and was very impressed. It's great to see an interview with you. :D And I love The Ballade of JCC-icide. :cool:

21. Bale

Bale Jedi Master star 4

May 9, 2005
    Yet another insightful interview. Great job all around.
    Best of luck with the internship. We will, of course, be expecting some interesting tales from your adventures. :)

22. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Thank you JTurle for interviewing correllian_ale!!!

corellian_ale is very well known around the boards, especally in OC circles. He is the manager of the Essential OC database and was an indexer on the Beyond story board.

Can you share some background information of yourself with us?

Let?s see, I don?t know if I have anything interesting to say about myself. I?m a huge Red sox and Patriots fan (I?m from the Boston area, go figure) I was born in ?74 with massive heart complications ? today not so bad, but back then I wasn?t given much chance to survive through the night. So you could say I?m a bit of a fighter (or at least I?m told). Needless to say, I always root for the underdog.

I?ve had four open-heart surgeries over the first 17 years, the last one caused me to miss most of my senior year of high school (thank the maker for Zahn and the Thrawn Trilogy that came out around then).

I went to college to learn television and film production, so needles to say I?m a very visual oriented person, but found the politics just wasn?t for me and went on to become what my friends called ?The Video Store? guru for almost a decade. Eventually my future wife came along, and helped inject meaningful happiness into my life; mainly my son and daughter.

_

When did you get into Star Wars in general?

?Luke, I AM your father!? Need I say more?

I knew of Star Wars, and fell in love with Chewbacca and all the other wonderful aliens from the Cantina Scene Kenner would put out as action figures, but it wasn?t until I saw ESB that I was like, holy cow!!!

However, I must admit that until later years, ANH and RotJ were my favorites ahead of ESB, just because I was totally into the ?alien factor? of the bookend movies. Not so much the Ewoks mind you, but the Cantina and Jabba?s Court scenes really kept me glued to the set.

_

When did you start writing fanfic? Star Wars fanfic? Have you posted in other fandoms or sites?

When I was laying in a hospital bed. I read the Thrawn Trilogy, and it occurred to me the story of Star Wars could go on with new characters to supplement the original ones. And as other novels came out, I realized it didn?t even have to involve the Big Three to be an entertaining Star Wars fic.

_

Do you have any other odd hobbies or obsessions?

Professional wrestling, I studied the business of it for years. Most people look down upon it (most just see it as glorified violence) and while I think the sexual over-tones today is a tremendous negative; I love it. Those who hate it, I feel won?t ever truly get it (although like anything there are things to dislike). Because of my physical limitations, I could never pursue it, but if someone ever said to me: ?ale, you could be become a pro-fic writer for Star Wars EU, or you could run your own wrestling promotion?, I?d pick the latter. After all, I?d still have my fanfic to play with!

_

Your first fic was I am Still the Master in July of ?05. Any thoughts on this first experience?

Master had been sitting in a steno notebook for about six years before I found Star Wars fanfic on the internet, and thought I?d just throw it out there. The feedback was so inspiring I decided to pull out some of the other stories I had written.

The sense of support and unity here when I jumped into the scene was tremendous, and I couldn?t wait to unleash all my OC madness on everyone!

_

In I am Still the Master you speak to the reader indirectly in your description. Why? How did you do it? Was it intended to make the reader feel or see certain things?

I had to go back and re-read it, because I hadn?t realized what I did! I guess the feeling of ?speaking to the reader? just kind of continued from the opening. I tried for a narrator monologue at the beginning, just to set up the feel of something momentous was about to occur, and it just engulfed the whole story.
    _

How do you come up with ideas for stories?

Who knows where thoughts co

23. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003

I?ve had four open-heart surgeries over the first 17 years, the last one caused me to miss most of my senior year of high school (thank the maker for Zahn and the Thrawn Trilogy that came out around then).

Know what you mean about the books :p Saved me from boredom when I was in the hospital too ;)

Fascinating interview ale :D

24. Luton_Plunder

Luton_Plunder Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 15, 2006
    Ale old mate, you make for great reading :D I love this thread, it's always got superb anecdotes. It's like watching Parkinson, GFFA style. I can even imagine the audience making that 'awwww' noise when you talk about your family :)

Great job on questions JTurtle! Thanks to you both for putting this together.

25. oqidaun

Jul 20, 2005
    [face_love] You likes the wrestling? Did I ever tell you about the time I dressed up as a referee and went to see Thursday Night Thunder?

That was a great interview Ale. We're all very lucky to have you here, old man. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.