main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Into Another Day (Qui/Obi AU, Qui-Gon's Diary) Dear Diary Challenge 2008~~Updated 11/15~~

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Layren, Jan 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    Title: Into Another Day
    Author: Layren
    Characters: Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan, others
    Summary: Sometimes destiny has a way of working out the things it must.
    Author Notes: This is my entry for the 2008 Dear Diary Challenge :D I hope you all enjoy this take on our favorite Jedi pairing. Though the name is under Layren, Jinngerbread is now my main account. Please send all questions, complaints and free food to Jinngerbread rather than Layren. :D If you see Layren, that means Jinngerbread is game-banned :p Sian Ny belongs to VaderLVR64. :)
    Author's Note II: Many thanks to the very talented Gina for the lovely cover art!

[image=http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y294/Layren/AnotherDayJinngerbread.jpg]

Entry One:

Kyran bought this journal for me, so I might as well humor him and actually use this. I?ve never been much for journal writing but perhaps it will be useful. Writing is good therapy, or at least the givers of this diary claimed. Yesterday I was knighted. It was also my twentieth birthday. I endured a good deal of ribbing from Sian and Kyran. Kyran said something about this journal keeping me busy with all the spare time I would have now.

Spare time.

I?m not convinced such a thing exists, myself. They are both knights, so perhaps they know differently.

Maybe.

Sian wasn?t helping my case by agreeing with Kyran, rather loudly, I might add. His gift was a stylus to write in this journal. I tried to tell them that I would be busy with missions and would have no time to write, but my remarks fell on deaf ears.

The gifts they gave weren?t all they conspired over either.

They threw me a surprise party.

Now normally in Jedi tradition we spend birthdays quietly in meditation, musing over our lives and the ways the Force has led us to now and knighthood is celebrated between one or two close friends, possibly going out for a fun afternoon. Something different always happens when you have the friends I do though.

You can count on it.

Attendees at my party this year were tortured, er, regaled by a loud rendition of a song that Sian and Kyran had written themselves. It was called ?A Knight?s Birthday? and sung by all of them, but with Sian and Kyran leading the way as the loudest singers.

Those two make even the hardest of hearing ears bleed with their noise. The song might?ve been good, otherwise, I wouldn?t know. My ears are still ringing.

This was quite a gathering, and evidently my friends are good at keeping secrets from me. Better than I am about such. Tahl, Sian, Kyran, Shane, Master Yoda, and even Master Dooku were there.

Master Dooku supplied the cake from one of Coruscant?s finest bakeries. The man has excellent taste, I must admit. My master has always been the type to enjoy the finer things in life. Ever since I have known him, he has been like that.

It didn?t take us long to devour the cake.

I had leftovers, but they?ve been eaten already. I was hungry and it was available. I'm a growing young man.

Pity though.

I had been looking forward to having some for breakfast tomorrow.

I really should know better than to leave cake lying around.

Alas, maybe I?ll remember and learn my lesson and be better prepared next year.

After the party, I examined the gifts they gave more closely. The stylus I?m pleased to say has impeccable balance and a soft ergonomic cushion for its grip. It?s the most comfortable one I have ever used.

Not that I would ever tell Sian.

I?d never hear the end of it.

2. Commander-DWH

Commander-DWH Manager Emeritus star 4

Nov 3, 2003
    Haha, I approve. Nothing like some loud, off-key singing to set a birthday off nicely. Not that my friends sang off-key... but they were very loud. It's a hazard of having opera singers for friends. They can deafen you pretty well. :p

Those two make even the hardest of hearing ears bleed with their noise. The song might?ve been good, otherwise, I wouldn?t know. My ears are still ringing.

Qui, you've got good friends. My heart bleeds for you. Really it does. ;)

3. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    LOL, for all his wisdom, Qui is a very typical 20-year-old. Cool.

4. callista_gseran

callista_gseran Jedi Youngling star 1

May 23, 2006
    Layren, Beautiful as usual :)[:D]

5. Lilith Demodae

Lilith Demodae Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 1, 1999
    I don't know any of the OC's mentioned, but you're off to a good start. :)

6. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    I loved Qui's descriptions of his birthday party.

Not that I would ever tell Sian.

I?d never hear the end of it.

From sweet, humble Sian? :eek: :eek:

Wouldn't he just say thank you and let that be that...nah! :p

Please PM me when you update

Looking forward to more

=D= =D= =D= =D=

7. Glenstorm

Glenstorm Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 27, 2006
    **Quickly delurks**

Great start! I sometimes have a hard time thinking of Qui-Gon as a young man, but reading about his twentieth birthday in his own words just brings it to life for me.

It was also my twentieth birthday. I endured a good deal of ribbing from Sian and Kyran.

[face_laugh] Yes the big 'two oh' can come as a bit of a shock and friends can always be relied upon to rub salt into that 'feeling old' wound. If Qui-Gon was experiencing the same thing, I understand perfectly. :D And Knighted on the same day too, poor man!

Anyway, wonderful work as always, Layren. Very much looking forward to more and seeing what gets put in that diary when Xan and Obi arrive on the scene. (If Qui-Gon has any spare time at all by then) :D

**Burrows back into the depths of guilty lurkerdom**

8. KrystalBlaze

KrystalBlaze Jedi Master star 5

Aug 3, 2002
    I saw what you posted in your eljay about this and I'm intrigued! Looking lovely as always.

-Krystal

9. DarthJainaSolo

DarthJainaSolo Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 8, 2007
    This made me smile! :D

Qui-Gon's starting to realize that birthday cake > meditation.

Attendees at my party this year were tortured, er, regaled by a loud rendition of a song that Sian and Kyran had written themselves. It was called ?A Knight?s Birthday? and sung by all of them, but with Sian and Kyran leading the way as the loudest singers.

Such great friends he has! [face_laugh]

I'll be following this.

10. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    What a great start! Please put me on the PM list! [face_laugh] =D=

11. Ara-gon

Ara-gon Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 31, 2005
    I had leftovers, but they?ve been eaten already. I was hungry and it was available. I'm a growing young man.

Pity though.

I had been looking forward to having some for breakfast tomorrow.

Of course! Birthday cake makes an excellent breakfast! Too bad he ate it all already!

Lovely and light-hearted! A great peak into non-serious Temple life. I loved it.

That sounds like a most-excellent stylus! ;) I hope it gives us more journaling.

PMs, please?

12. Jinngerbread

Jinngerbread Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 2, 2007
    Commander-DWH I do imagine that sitting at a table with opera singers at a party would be preferable, ;) at least they're on key :p

DarthIshtar He really is :) I'm working hard to make him seem like a normal human male. :D

callista_gseran Thank you. :)

Lilith Demodae Most are from my series The Triad Chronicles, Sian I forced MamaVader to create for a Dare Challenge, so we share him. Glad you enjoyed it! Hope you stick around for the rest :D

Kelia Qui-Gon says Sian and humble do not belong in the same sentence, even in jest :p I'd be happy to PM you!

Glenstorm Thanks! I'm glad I could bring him to life, I'm working on that here, to make him seem like a normal human being, with the same thoughts and fears and hopes like everyone else :) As far as when Xan and Obi arrive, stick around ;) They'll get here eventually, though perhaps not in the order you suspect ;) And thanks for delurking! Keep doing it ;)

KrystalBlaze LJ is such a good advertising tool [face_mischief]

DarthJainaSolo He really does have good friends, and he knows it too ;)

VaderLVR Glad you liked it, I'll be happy to! :)

Ara-gon Of course, birthday cake may not be very nutritious, but that doesn't mean it's not excellent breakfast fare. As far as the stylus, I only hope it'll do the same too ;) PM's coming your way!

[b]Entry Two:
    [/b]
    Today I moved out of the rooms I used to share with my Master. Even at my knighting ceremony I suppose it took time to actually sink in even with the party we held afterwards, and the gifts I received.

It feels more real now that I'm truly a knight and not a padawan anymore.

I'm not quite sure what I think about that just yet. It makes me nervous, even as I am looking forward to the future and what it holds. My master won't be there to fix problems anymore, or come after me if I get in trouble.

It's a definite heavier responsibility than I've ever felt before.

I hope I find myself equal to the task and the confidence that the Masters have placed in me.

Speaking of the move, I found a few things I had been looking for as I packed them away, and many more things that I didn't need at all.

I never realized how many things I had acquired on various missions over the years. I tend not to want to throw things away, that have sentimental value, or that I find interesting, because you never know when something will be useful later, but on the other hand, I did clean out two heaping cans full of old things that I could honestly not remember why I had kept them at the time, only that I did.

It made the move to my own rooms much easier, I must say, after I cut down on the acquisitions.

During the move, my friends came to help me. As we were moving boxes, Sian asked if I'd used the journal yet. The smug look on his face as I said yes, though, almost made me wish I hadn't.

Oh well, at least I didn't tell him how nice his pen was. I pretended nonchalance, but I don't think he fell for it, the way he grinned at me when I told him I had used the stylus also.

Blast.

The Council has asked to see me tomorrow. They sure don't waste time, do they?

I'm actually rather curious about what they have in store; a mission perhaps, or some other Temple assignment that they would consider a newly knighted padawan good at.

I suppose I'll have to wait to find out.

13. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Darn opportunistic council members. That made me laugh.

14. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    During the move, my friends came to help me. As we were moving boxes, Sian asked if I'd used the journal yet. The smug look on his face as I said yes, though, almost made me wish I hadn't.

Oh well, at least I didn't tell him how nice his pen was. I pretended nonchalance, but I don't think he fell for it, the way he grinned at me when I told him I had used the stylus also.

Blast.

The Council has asked to see me tomorrow. They sure don't waste time, do they?

[face_laugh] =D=

15. jedidas3

jedidas3 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 25, 2007
    How did I miss this?:oops: Guess that is what I get for being gone over 2 weeks! Anyway, absolutetly beautiful job as always.=D= I'm enjoying this insight into Qui-Gon as a young man.

16. KELIA

Jul 26, 2005
    The smug look on his face as I said yes

[face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

Doesn't that just mean Sian is happy he picked a gift Qui-Gon would enjoy? :p

I love the peek at Qui's insecurity as he prepares to go to the Council. I'm sure there are plenty of missions "newly Knighted" Jedi are good enough for.

Great update

[face_applausE]=D= =D= =D=

17. KrystalBlaze

KrystalBlaze Jedi Master star 5

Aug 3, 2002
    Aw, poor Quiggy is worried. But I have faith in him. We all know already he turns out to be an excellent knight anyway. I'm really curious how we're going to get from Qui-Gon being Knighted to Obi-Wan's apprenticeship.

Keep posting and poking me! :D

-Krystal

18. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    DarthIshtar Glad I could make you laugh :D I do like doing that :)

VaderLVR64 :D Sian btw, says thank you for letting him hang out at my place for a bit ;) That illness you had him going through took a toll on him, and he fears what else you might do to him, for drama's sake ;)

Kelia Well one would *think* that's what it meant ;) But Qui-Gon knew otherwise :p And Qui-Gon couldn't have been the all knowing, all wise master at twenty years old. No man is wise at 20 :p

KrystalBlaze Of course he is, he's quite fretting over it, as you'll see. And he doesn't have the faith in himself yet that he'll have later. As far as how we'll get there, just hang on for the ride ;)

A/N: Many thanks to Persphone_Kore and Commander_DWH for their excellent insights and help with this chapter :)

[b]
    Entry Three: [/b]

I have made my preparations tonight for the session tomorrow. I set my outfit by the chair next to my bedside and I have triple checked the bedside chronometer to make sure that it's plugged in and set for morning instead of evening. It would be embarrassing to sleep through my first session.

Though early as it calls for me to be there, one almost might anyway, but I digress.

I'm the first appointment of the day, tomorrow, which means I have to be there early. I don't think I've ever seen the Council that early in the morning.

I've never been much for early rising as a padawan, but I suppose as a Knight I'll have to get used to it, since it's my responsibility to wake myself up now. I can't expect my Master to call me on the comlink to wake me up every morning.

Nor can I expect him to get me prepared for the session tomorrow, so in addition to getting my things laid out and properly placed where I can reach them easily, I've also been preparing mentally for the session. I've reviewed old mission records, in case they need to ask me about something I've done in the last few years and memorized facts and dates that I needed refreshing on. I don't know if all this is really necessary, but it could be.

And it never hurts to be prepared.

I don't mind admitting I'm nervous. I've been to the Council before with my Master, and I've also been alone when they were giving me a solo assignment as a padawan, but this, still feels different. Standing before a council of twelve of the wisest masters in the Order, alone, is rather intimidating. I've always wanted to be in this position, the Jedi Knight, standing before the Council receiving assignments, but now that I'm actually here, that's another story. There's nobody to take responsibility except me, and if I mess up, it's all on my own shoulders.

Though, honestly, based on my Master's encounters with them, I hope I don't end up arguing with anybody on the first day.

19. Ara-gon

Dec 31, 2005
    "Though, honestly, based on my Master's encounters with them, I hope I don't end up arguing with anybody on the first day."

[face_laugh] Maybe a bit of foreshadowing here?

It's nice to see him so conscientious, yet also apprehensive at being unprepared. And memorizing dates? [face_hypnotized] Ugh. Never my favorite thing . . .

Nice update. Glad to see the magic stylus is working.

20. KELIA

Jul 26, 2005
    I hope I don't end up arguing with anybody on the first day.

you're right Qui. It's best to save the arguing for the second or third day :p

I found that comment so amusing considering his future habit of defying the Council

I loved how meticulously he prepared for his meeting. It was so cute!

Great update

=D= =D= =D= =D=

21. Cole_Kenobi

Cole_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 17, 2005
    Ahaha. That last line was superb; as well as the story. At first I admit I was weary because I was wondering how Obi-wan would fit into the story but I'm loving the entries. Aha. I like to see how Qui-gon was young and bursting with energy and nervousness being a newly minted Knight.

Oh, and I loved the bit about him checking the alarm clock to make sure it was set for the morning and not night...If I could count how many times I've done that. Aha, and getting a wake up call from his master, *smirks* aha.

Awesome story.=D= Please continue. :D

Oh, and thank you so much for the PM! It kicked my butt into gear and I'm glad because I've enjoyed reading this. Also, so are you going to continue with Therefore, I ?

22. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    Though, honestly, based on my Master's encounters with them, I hope I don't end up arguing with anybody on the first day.

Qui-Gon? Argue!? :eek: Surely not. :p

=D=

23. Jinngerbread

Jinngerbread Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 2, 2007
    jedidas3 Well when you're gone, you have a tendency to miss a few things here and there ;) And I hope being first on my reply list makes up a little for the oversight last time! I'm glad you're enjoying Qui as a young man, I have had had a good time writing him :) Thank you so much for reading!

Ara-gon Foreshadowing? Me? Would I do such a thing? ;) He really isn't the maverick that we know so well yet, when he's only twenty. A bit to some degree, but a new knight would be anxious to please, I would think :) I doubt at twenty he'd be telling the Council to stuff it yet :p Actually I haven't written much of this by hand at all, but just holding it seems to help my muse :p I really don't know what it is, maybe it's because I gave you one just like it and it connects us or something :p ;) Thanks for reading!

Kelia Qui-Gon agrees absolutely that it's best to wait till at least a little later before arguing ;) The original draft for this entry had him even going as far as to go to the Supply room for new clothes for the meeting, but after a discussion with PK and DWH, I figured they were right that he sounded a little vain then, developing a Narcissus complex :p And PK is responsible for the foreshadowing punchline ;) I modified her original just a tad :D Thanks for reading!

Cole_Kenobi As far as how Obi-Wan will fit into the story, just wait and see ;) I promise to make it worth your while. I thought Obi and Qui's relationship would be significantly different if Xanatos hadn't messed things up and as a young knight how different, well we'll just have to see ;) As far as Therefore, I, it's on hiatus for now. I really just shouldn't have started that right before National Novel Writing Month. My muse for it went out the window after that :p We'll see if it ever comes back, Qui was giving me lockjaw about Xanatos, which was the main problem :p He didn't want to talk about it, let alone write about it where anyone else could see. I tried convincing him that no one was going to read it, but he just gave me that look of his...anyways, thanks for reading!

VaderLVR Of course not, our dear sweet Qui would never, ever argue with anyone [face_batting] Thanks for reading!

[b]
    Entry Four:
    [/b]
    My first session went very well, surprisingly well actually. My preparations from the night before paid off and the morning routine went by very easily. I did not oversleep, and I was actually early in arriving outside the Council chamber doors. I hoped to make a good impression on the Council. My actual preparations for the Council session turned out to be unnecessary after all, though.

I don't consider it a waste of time, however, because I really needed that information refreshed in my mind and now it is.

As far as what the Council wanted, there's a new quarter coming up soon and they're a little short on knights willing to be teachers at the moment, with several gone on various missions and other doings around the galaxy. I have a past history of working in the crèche with the children and enjoying it. They asked me if I'd be willing to teach the five-year-olds lightsaber class for this quarter and I readily accepted the job.

I love working with children.

I think it's because they're so full of life. The Living Force just flows so easily when around them, and they're so bright and so innocent at that age, how could I say no?

The quarter begins tomorrow and I'm looking forward to it.

24. Ara-gon

Dec 31, 2005
    "They asked me if I'd be willing to teach the five-year-olds lightsaber class for this quarter and I readily accepted the job. " [face_laugh]

*glances at my five year old* Yep! He's pretty full of life. And fun, and mischief, and potty jokes, and love (he loves to hug). I see some mush and humor in Qui's future. Perfect! I could use some mush and humor.

25. Cole_Kenobi

Cole_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 17, 2005
    Aha, I love this turn of events! Yay! He's going to teach saber classes to younglings, ahah he's going to have his hands full. Ooooh, will he meet Obi-wan and his little gang of friends? Aha, wishful hoping lol. :D Great job! PM please.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.