main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Into Oblivion (L/M and the usual suspects and an occasional OC or two) Complete 11/13-More Replies

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by jade51999, Jun 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jade51999

jade51999 Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    This story started off in November 2007 after seeing the Bourne Ultimatum and having some sort of plot bunny hop into my head where Mara is Jason Bourne at the end of the movie. I finished writing the story two days ago (June 21). Other than that there is no resemblance to the Bourne movies at all...but I hope you'll enjoy it nonetheless.

Title:Into Oblivion
    Time Period: After Starfighters of Adumar
    Summary: Mara and the Force don't seem to get along. Also--someone is trying to kill her.
    Characters: The usual crew but primarily Luke, Mara and an OC named Danika
    Notes: Thanks to Telanna Tani helped beta some of the middle stuff so I am very grateful to her, and my new official Beta Solo_and_Fel.
    Disclaimer This is George's world...and maybe some of Aaron Allston and Michael Stackpole's

Like what you're reading? Check out some of my other stuff

Other Fics:

Marshala

Jade's Fire (Sequel-Prequel/Companion to Marshala

Breaking the Silence

My Trilogy:
    To Honor the Dead

Changing of the Guard

The Coming Challenge

My Earlier Works: (Not quite as good as I'd like them to be..)

Vision of the Future: The Missing Pieces

Lady in Red (Luke and Mara)

Posting Schedule: Ten Chapters a Prologue and an Epilogue--Posting will be Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Since I am on a regular schedule I will only do PM's at the end of each week.

PM List: (Let me know if you want to be on or off.)
    VaderLVR64
    Jade_eyes
    AniriRevan
    Jedi Trace
    JediMike2372
    FireJade
    Jedi2B

[b]Into Oblivion[/b]
    [b]Prologue[/b]

The vision broke away and she could once again hear her master again. That smooth caress against the back of her subconscious. The echo of his last command, [i]You will kill Luke Skywalker...[/i]

[i]No![/i] The voice stopped.

She could remember the rules. Do not speak to your mark. Do not show weakness. Do not hesitate. Those rules had been second nature to Mara Jade. She had always been content to remain detached, content to never feel any emotion from those she had murdered.

[i]Murdered.[/i] A muffled yell from the corridor broke padded silence and Mara opened her eyes, winced at the blinding white walls and furnishings before refocusing on the woman who had given her what she had asked for.

?Do you remember everything now?? Her dark eyes were fearless, as if she had been waiting for this moment for a long time.

Mara closed her eyes again before answering. ?Yes.?

?Are you going to let them kill me? Or are you going to finish the job yourself?? She asked the question as if it mattered no more than what she was going to have for dinner.

?No.? [i]You are not that person anymore[/i]. Mara tried to add bite to her words, but knew the prisoner could see through her bluster. ?I?m going to give you what you deserve.? She jumped at the sudden clank on the metal doorway, conscious that her hands were shaking. They were trying to get in?and time had suddenly run out.

When Mara glanced back at the woman behind her she was smirking, leaning casually against the wall as if blessed with all the time in the world, ?they are going to come after you again. Traitors don?t live forever.?

Chilled, and then hot with a flush of anger of being hunted Mara relaxed her arms so that the vibroblade slipped out of its arm sheath and comfortably into her hand.

[i]Mara?[/i] She slammed down her barriers, a sudden heavines

2. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    jade51999 hello hello! [face_dancing] This looks stellar!!!! I hope there won't be character death later... the title and your summary has me worried. [face_worried]

Wootness for your return!!!!
    [:D]
    !!!!!

3. jade51999

Nov 5, 1999
    Thanks! It's nice to see you too!

Jade

4. JediMike2372

JediMike2372 Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 2, 2008
    This is going to fascinating. Can't wait to see how that all came about and what Mara was up to. You kinda have me on pins and needles already about what is going to happen.

Looking forward to more

5. jade51999

Nov 5, 1999
    Thanks JediMike--here's the next part. I'll put the rest of "Post I" (which is what I call my chapters) late tomorrow or early Friday since I'm heading to NYC for the weekend.

[b]Post I: Memories Long Forgotten
    Six months earlier[/b]

?Hey, I think the scum ball is about to pull his blaster on the captain.?

Aves glanced over to the far side of the balcony where Crenshaw was covering Mara?s flank. ?What makes you think that??

?Remember Imfall??

?Yes.?

?Same Rodian, similar situation but with Gillispee.?

?Shavit.? Aves glanced down at the conversation going below readied his blaster. Years of working with Jade told him that she would sense a double cross, but it didn?t hurt to be ready. He strained his ears and re-focused on the conversation below just in time to see the little green urchin pull a quick draw with his sidearm.

He winced, knowing that like so many other meetings lately, Mara was now staring at the wrong end of a blaster. He watched as her face grew cold, hiding the irritation that he also was feeling as she slowly moved her hands away from her own holster and opened them, palms up to show that they were empty. ?I wouldn?t do that if I were you.? When that didn?t get a response, she sighed. ?Listen?as a representative of the Smuggler?s Alliance, I have to tell you that if you shoot me, you won?t get any deals out of any of our member organizations. It is [i]really[/i] in your best interest to take the deal.?

The Rodian chattered angrily, ?You are cheating me.?

Aves frowned as Mara?s eyes flicked towards him. It was almost as if she didn?t think he was there.

Her voice was smooth and cajoling, ?I promise, those numbers represent the current market value...?

He cut her off. ?No?you work for the Republic. Their numbers lie. ?

Crenshaw whistled angrily in his earpiece, ?Boss, she?s not going to be happy later.? Aves had to agree, the Rodian?s words were essentially the same argument they had been hearing for months. Another voice broke into the comms??I think Crenshaw is right, it is the same Rodian from Imfall, and I think we need to teach him a lesson. Do you have a clear angle Aves??

?I think so, Boss.?

?Then take it.?

Aves leaned forward and pulled the trigger only to jerk the piece away when he saw Mara leap into action. He winced as his shot slammed into the wall inches away from Jade?s head. [i]What is she doing![/i] Within seconds Mara Jade had just taken care of the problem herself with Aves almost killing her in the process.

A small bead of sweat trickled down his face.

He was toast.
    [hr]

[i]Where did my backup go?[/i] Groaning inwardly as she sensed four enemies up in the balcony and no friendlies, Mara tried to calm her assailant down. ?I promise, those numbers represent the current market value...?

?No?you work for the Republic. Their numbers lie. ?

And there you had it, the smugglers not wanting to work with her because she supposedly worked for the New Republic, and the New Republic looking at her like she was bantha poodoo for associating with smugglers. As if both sides didn?t benefit from the others existence anyway. Suddenly she was sick of it. Tired of arguing, tired of waiting for her backup, and tired of listening to everyone around her talk about Skywalker?s love life....

Reaching out with the Force Mara yanked the Rodian?s blaster out of his hand and caught it with her own, swiftly pushing it against the base of his skull. ?Listen, you two-faced rat. We had a deal. Either you own up to it, or I?ll make sure you never think again?permanently. And tell your men on the balcony to stand down [i]now[/i].?

He squeaked and struggled beneath her grip. ?I have no men on the balcony...? Mara tightened her grip, and his pitch grew higher, ?Stand down! We accept, we accept.?

In the old days she could have just shot him, but now there were other things that needed to be done. ?Lets sit down then, there are papers to be signed.?

Three hours later she walked into Karrde?s office and dropped the contracts onto his desk. Folding her hands across her chest

6. jade51999

Nov 5, 1999
    ...and the end of Post I. More on Monday (hopefully).

?Hey I think she?s coming to.?

?Ghent, stop staring at her, and open the door. We?re at the medbay.?

The bright line shone through her eyelids again and Mara realized that Ghent was shining his penlight into her face. Wrenching them open Mara growled ?Zakarias Ghent, if you shine that thing in my eyes one more time I?m going to destroy your I4242 G3 with my lightsaber.?

The light switched off and the blue haired man swore. ?You wouldn?t?

Mara sat up hopped off the now stopped stretcher. ?Oh I would.?

?But its one of a kind. Do you know how long it took me to find it??

Mara rolled her eyes, ?I do, I?m the one who asked Mirax Horn to put out the requisition order remember??

Ghent looked embarrassed, ?I forgot.?

?Excuse Me, Trader Jade?? Mara turned to the medic that stood patiently waiting, a scanner in her hand.

Mara shook her head. ?I?m fine. I just had a Force vision.?

Aves coughed behind her, ?That wasn?t a Force vision, you were in pain, and we thought you were going to choke to death.?

Grimacing at the rare assertive tone in Aves? voice, Mara reluctantly entered the small medical bay, and sat still while the tech checked her vitals with a scanner.

Fifteen minutes later she frowned watching as the tech reset the machine for the third time. ?What?s going on??

Medic Linzero, who also served on the Wilde Karrde as a navigation technician, glanced up at the tension in her face. ?You have an elevated heart rate. Your blood pressure is through the roof, and I can tell that you are about to start nursing another one of your migraines.?

Mara tilted her head expectantly, ?But??

?The scanner says there is nothing physically wrong with you.? She hesitated again, before continuing after a look from her patient. ?Is it possible that when you passed out, even if it was for quarter of an hour, that you entered one of your healing trances??

Mara shook her head. ?No I was experiencing a Force vision, something that generally does not occur when a Force user goes into a healing trance.?

?Oh.? She blinked. ?When was the last time you talked to a neurologist??

Glad that Karrde was not there to catch her in another lie Mara answered slowly, ?Two years.?

Linzero paused before chiding her, ?Well, I?m going increase the dosage on the migraine pills they gave you. Next time we stop on Coruscant you should get everything checked out with the proper equipment.?

Mara shook her head, knowing that it wouldn?t make a difference. ?They won?t find anything. These visions were trying to tell me something. As soon as the Force is ready, all of this will go away.?

?But not the headaches.?

Mara frowned then stood up. ?Are we done??

?Take these,? the medic handed her another bottle of pills, ?and come back if things get worse.?

Mara didn?t have the heart to tell her that there wasn?t a chance in hell she would willingly come back. She had withstood these visions and the memories since the death of the Emperor almost ten years earlier.

Nothing had changed. She would keep on living her life, taking what was due, acknowledging that this was the natural result of what she had done as the Emperor?s Hand. Knowing that she never had a choice didn?t change her actions, rather it made her want to remember every loss of life, every victim as evidence that how she lived her life now mattered.

Nodding to the medic, she grabbed her lightsaber off the counter and pushed her way through the door. The only way she would return to the medward was if she had been shot, not over some headaches and memories of a life that she did not deserve to forget.
    [hr]

[b]Corporate Sector[/b]

A sudden shadow in the far corner of the hall caused Danika to pause before she scurried to the dark outline of a door at the end of the hallway. Her hand shook as she reached for the door, making her knock into a a stuttering announcement of her presence, and despite her attempts at reaching some composure the loud groan of the aged door sliding into the warped paneling caused her hands to

7. TKeira_Lea

TKeira_Lea Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 10, 2002
    Wow! You're finally posting Into Oblivion on the boards :D

I look forward to reading it all through again - and trying to keep replying too. Glad to see all your hard work has paid off.

8. Solo_and_Fel

Solo_and_Fel Jedi Master star 3

Apr 19, 2004
    Yay it's public! (moreso)

Mara and the Force are sort of like frenemies. I like her being so tough right away... even if it almost got her killed.

9. jade51999

Nov 5, 1999
    Thanks TKL and Solo_and_Fel (who has kindly offered up services as my beta--hooray. Here is the start of Post II.

[b]Post II: Old Friends Long Gone

Chandrila[/b]

It may have felt a little like déjà vu, but this time everything went smoothly. Standing up abruptly, Mara extended her hand to the woman sitting across from her. ?Thank you. I or another representative of the Alliance will be in touch. We expect to fix the timetable for the import/export ratios by the end of the fiscal year, with a margin for adjustments as needed.?

Nadalia Ditai, a trader based out of the capital city of Nilofar, blinked with her wide brown eyes. ?I certainly look forward to this relationship. Moving into legitimate work will be good for my reputation.? She snapped her fingers and her entourage followed her out of the venue.

Placing the contract between two sheets of protective glasteel she gathered up the rest of her materials, flipping open her comm in the process. ?Aves, Chin?all clear. I don?t sense any additional backup save the standard fare.?

Chin answered, ?All clear up here as well. We?ll meet you out front.?

Wrinkling her brow she made her way through the warehouse and out into the crystal clear air of Chandrila?s capital city. Wide avenues were punctuated by small gardens each with its own tapcafe or business park. It evoked a feeling of contentment, and freedom. Feeling lighter than she had in months, Mara handed over the documents to Aves and Chin to take back to the shuttle. She wanted to take one more walk through the city.

Her lightsaber swinging at her side, she took a deep breath and reached for the Force, surprised once again at how easily it came to her. For some reason it appeared as if the crisis had passed, and while the headaches still came and went, their repercussions within her Force powers had all but disappeared. [i]Two weeks doesn?t mean you?re free.[/i] With a grim set of her chin, she crossed over the main thoroughfare so that she could circle back around toward the docks. From where she stood she could see the shuttle?[i]Gamble Lore[/i] warming up. The clanging of the engines caused her to cringe inwardly.

She hated the shuttle. It was bulky and moved like a stormtrooper wearing armor that was far too big. She couldn?t wait to get something of her own, and any day now she would get the design specs for the refitting of her new ship?[i]the Jade?s Fire[/i]. A gift from a client, she was like nothing Mara had ever owned before. Sleek, strong and with a heat that could only be coaxed to its fullest potential; it had a heart and warmth that Mara knew would serve her well.

At peace, she made her way through a gabled stone archway and into one of the many free-form parks. Lush emerald brushes with opaque lavendar flora dotted the three mirroring arches, a pentagonal keystone indicating the direction of the exit. The sweet smelling vidantik seeped into her pores, teaming with life.

This was the sort of place that would feel brilliant through the Force, and instinctively Mara reached out and turned her face toward the sunlight streaming in through the transparisteel ceiling covering the greenhouse. Something sparkled at the edge of the roof and she froze.

?Mara!? She turned to see Aves and Chin coming up the walkway behind her.

Holding her finger up to her lips she continued to scrutinize the strange flashing on the roof, then peered into the shadows inhabiting the mirroring archway on the far side of the circular paddock. The Force was quiet and everything in the park was still.

[i]Everything[/i], even the birds and the bugs? all except the telltale whir and whoosh of a blaster bolt.

?Son of Sith!? Once again her danger sense had failed to warn her, but this time Mara had been prepared, stalking forward with her lightsaber in her hand; so when the single bolt turned into a rain shower of sparks, she could use the Force to deflect them before they made physical contact.

Above the snap and crackle she could hear Aves and Chin swearing as they retaliated, but she knew that the

10. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Marvelous series of updates. I'm very intrigued as to why Mara's having this particular reaction to Force usage. o_O I hope Luke can help -- oh squee! I've read your other fics, so I know there'll be drama and adventure, but I also expect some gooifying mush!!!
    Yay!!!
    [face_laugh]
    [face_batting]

11. jade51999

Nov 5, 1999
    Oh there is some goofifying mush :) I like that.

12. jade51999

Nov 5, 1999
    The next part of Post 2!

An hour later Mara fingered the bacta patch on her shoulder, feeling the numbness radiate out as the gel integrated itself with her injured skin. The pounding of her head had dimmed with the pain killers from the medical personnel that had responded to the scene. It would suffice until she got back to the [i]Wild Karrde[/i].

Slowly she left the docking berth and made her way back through the circular courtyard whose white and green iridescence would have, on any other day, provided a measure of solitude and comfort. Taking her time up the stairs, she stretched out looking for answers in her Force sense?but wasn?t surprised to feel a small twinge as the flow poured through her.

In the time she had been with the medics the authorities seemed to have made a decision to not take apart the crime scene. Instead they had begun comprehensively cataloging the parts that ended up being spread out over a third of the rooftop terrace surrounding the courtyard.

Seeing her arrive, Talon Karrde walked over and gestured to the metallic carnage behind him. ?Any ideas on what this was about??

Mara shook her head, ?None.?

Stroking his mustache Karrde nodded, ?New Republic Intelligence is coming soon. Apparently these droids are pre-Yavin but with some clear modifications.?

She pursed her lips, ignoring the pointed look he gave to her bacta-patched arm. ?They were programmed to originally shoot on a repeating arc. Whoever developed these had them tighten their beams in a more directed manner. Also, while not a modification, the earlier versions of the probe droid were supposed to explode by breaking into pieces, while now they do what we see here?actually fry their own mother board.?

Karrde stared at her litany, a response disappearing from his lips. He had long since ceased to become surprised by his former second-in-command?s knowledge of weaponry. ?I?ve already sent out some feelers. It is entirely possible you walked into a turf war. While Chandrila is relatively peaceful, certain neighborhoods have become marked territories.

Again she gave her head a short shake. ?No. This feels?.? She trailed off, feeling the twinge as she felt through the Force. ??personal.? More subdued she looked down at the courtyard.

?Mara,? She turned.

?We think we may still be able to get some information from the droids. Ghent is already processing it. We should have something by this afternoon. ?

A sense of relief washed over her and Mara glanced at her chrono. ?If there is any information on those boards, he?ll find it.?

The two of them made their way down to the shuttle and took the quick hop over to the larger ship, currently waiting in orbit.

She was nearly to her quarters when the throbbing began again as a low hum at the base of her temple. Shavit. Instead of going back to the room, she scooped up her lightsaber, jogged down to the gym and then locked the door. She had too much adrenaline in her system to lie down and there was no sense in a wayward crewmember walking into her personal firefight.

Setting up the remote, she raised her blade to a guarded position and began to deflect the shots. Without touching the Force the remote provided a challenge of instinct and reflexes, but when a bolt came dangerously close to her chest she, out of habit, reached for guidance. The resulting stab of pain caused her eyes to water and Mara was barely aware of her lightsaber clattering to the floor. Automatically pressing her hands against her eyes she gasped as another jolt of pain caused her to collapse, her knees slamming to the ground. Still, she held back from losing consciousness only to lose her grip when the sound of screaming pushed her head first into the specter of the past.

[i]?You know why you are here?? The man was a little older than her, but his hair and beard were pure white accentuating hard dark eyes.

Mara stood at attention?she had been drawn to Chandrila. ?I have come to serve at the behest of my Emperor.?

?You come here freely, with full knowledge of the tasks you shall undertake, th

13. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Amazing update and a terrific cliffhanger!
    :D

14. Solo_and_Fel

Solo_and_Fel Jedi Master star 3

Apr 19, 2004
    It would be so scary to be a non-Force user around Mara right now.

15. jade51999

Nov 5, 1999
    The end of Post 2......

[i]My Hand.[/i]

Mara jerked up then fell back as her body met resistance. For a moment she struggled against her bonds then, with her eyes fighting the blinding overhead lights?she lay back against the pillows, breathing heavily as she tried to assess her predicament. The Emperor needed her?

[i]The Emperor? He?s dead.[/i]

As the room became clear, she sensed Faughn fumbling at the buckles. ?Thank the Force. Mara?relax, I?m undoing your restraints.? As part instinct, and part survival, and maybe with some of the rush from her vision still pumping through her veins, the second she was free Mara leapt out of the bed and into a defensible position.

?Mara,? Faughn?s face was full of apprehension. ?you?ve been out for seven hours.?

?Seven [i]hours[/i].? Incredulous she slumped back onto the bed, repeating, ?Seven hours.?

The sound of running footsteps prevented Faughn from answering. Both of them looked to the door as Ghent ran in absently staring down at a datapad in his hand. ?I heard a noise. I thought you might need help again.?

Mara turned back and looked at her friend with a raised eyebrow. She had made noise enough to break through Ghent?s haze. [i]Emperor?s Black Bones![/i]

Faughn shrugged, displaying a nonchalance though Mara could tell her from her expression that her thoughts were etched with worry. ?We had to restrain you, and there were a few moments when we thought you were choking.?

Ghent glanced down at an electronic device in his hand. ?You stunned the captain.?

Remembering the second part of her vision, where she killed Verinta Doklit. ?Son of Sith. I didn?t....? She trailed off.

Faughn glared at Ghent reproachfully, ?You were in a trance. We were carrying you here so that the medics could take a look, and you broke free grabbed your blaster and shot Karrde point blank. It was minimally charged, so he was barely knocked unconscious.?

Mara was horrified knowing that the events from her memory had been taking place in reality. For the first time in a long time she could feel the Force surrounding her, comforting her. Her head was clear?and painless, but she still felt a pang of fear.

It had started over four years ago when she first stumbled upon Luke Skywalker?s ship in the middle of nowhere. At first it had been only the Last Command, but following her ejection above the Katana fleet?other splashes of the past broke through her dreams. The headaches began after the death of Luuke on Wayland.

Mara had worked long and hard to keep her headaches and their result from affecting her work, but now she had shot her boss, her friend.

?Where?s Karrde now?? She winced at the glance that Faughn and Aves, who had come in behind Ghent, exchanged.

Aves was the one who spoke up. ?He?s in bacta.?

Mara shot to her feet. ?You said I stunned him.?

Faughn ran back to her side, and gently pushed her back into the bed. ?You did. But then you switched the power pack to [i]kill[/i], and Ghent barely had time to push you away. Unluckily the bolt still hit Talon, but in the lower leg.?

Conscious of the fact that everyone was staring at her, Mara gripped the sheets on the bed, clenching her fists angrily. Her face remained non-committal, hiding the sinking feeling of disgust in the pit of her stomach.

Answering her unspoken question Aves cleared his throat, ?He?ll be out in less then half a day.?

?What did the medics give me to break me out of the trance?? Faughn looked at her a little guiltily. ?We couldn?t give you anything, your veins wouldn?t allow it.? She bit her lip, ?Instead we brought in some Ysalmiri.?

Mara stared at her, realizing that even though she was used to it, the Force was virtually absent from the room. ?Smart thinking.? She looked back down at her hands, willing herself to make a decision.

As if he was reading her mind Aves spoke softly. ?Karrde was conscious before they put him into bacta. He knew you would have to leave for Coruscant before he woke , , that you wouldn?t let someone else go in your place.?

Mara nodded, waiting for him to finish

16. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Wonderful update. =D= Looking forward to that conversation. :)

17. jade51999

Nov 5, 1999
    jade eyes--That conversation won't be as easy to have as we think...but for now here is some Luke :)

[b]Post III: A Certain Point of View[/b]

It had been eight months and three days since he had last been in his apartment on Coruscant. Eight months and three days since he had checked his messages, glanced around the room and then left for the Meredian sector.

He didn?t need much, but already Luke Skywalker felt like he was home. Corran Horn had once told him that the apartment was soothing, that at his first meeting with ?Master Skywalker? this space had helped him heal from the wounds of having Mirax suddenly ripped from him. At this moment, three months after finally accepting what he should have when she had first said goodbye, the uncluttered life Luke Skywalker had been steadily building before that fateful mission on the Eye of Palpatine now felt like it was all he needed.

Dropping his bag on the couch and removing his cloak, Luke checked the cooling unit and smiled to himself before striding over to the communications unit. A few moments later his sister?s face pixilated in front of him.

?Luke!?

?Good Morning, Leia?

He felt her reach for him while glancing down at the relay before her face broke into a radiant grin, ?You?re on Coruscant? Welcome back!?

?Thanks,? He tilted his head towards the kitchen, ?and thanks for restocking the cooling unit.?

She looked puzzled, and then comprehension dawned. ?Tell that to Threepio. I think R2 sent him a message from wherever you were last. Han and I wondered at what all the extra groceries were for.?

Luke chuckled, feeling light, ?What would we do without those droids??

His sister shook her head ruefully before her face brightened. ?Are you in for a while??

?I think so, I have some messages to catch up on. Kam and Tionne needed some reports looked over?? He raised an eyebrow questioningly.

?There is some news?from Wedge, but I?m sure he?ll want to tell you personally.? Leia flashed him a smile?then looked behind her. ?Sorry, the kids are up and I have to go into the office?but I?ll see you tonight.?

Luke nodded, ?Dinner??

She winked at him, ?Something like that. Let us just say it has been a long time coming.? As her image faded away he leaned forward and switched over to his inbox to listen to his messages.

The first few were requests from NRI to be debriefed about the events in the Meredian sector. Those Luke immediately answered, making an appointment to talk to Cracken?s agents later in the week. Then there were the reports from Kam and Tionne which he transferred to his datapad and left for later in the day. There was a strange message from Wedge asking Luke to call him when he got in, and one from the [i]Wild Karrde. [/i]

He frowned, the file was awfully small. He glanced down saw it was voice only and adjusted the volume control to listen.

In typical Mara Jade fashion the message was short and succinct. ?Skywalker, I need to talk to you.? There was silence for a few seconds and Luke had to check and see if the message was over before hearing her voice again, softer than before--?I know this isn?t the best time for you, but just contact me when you get back. Jade out.?

Frowning, Luke began entering the relay for the [i]Wild Karrde?s[/i] message system when an incoming call came through?

?Skywalker here?Wedge!? Luke smiled at the harried features of one of his oldest friends. ?Is everything alright? I thought I would wait until a decent hour to call you?I didn?t want to wake you up.?

Wedge laughed, his face breaking into a wide grin. ?Everything is great?I wouldn?t call it a vacation, but I actually just got back from Adumar.?

?Something about helping to form a planetary government??

Wedge glanced to his side, ?And a few other things, least of all involving me getting Tycho, Hobbie and Janson into women?s clothing.?

Luke let out a short laugh. ?You?ll have to tell me about that.? There was something in Wedge?s demeanor that seemed relaxed, as if something had finally settled. ?What happened to the vacation??

His fri

18. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    I've only read the first post, but I know I'm going to love it! Please include me on the PM list!

=D=

I'll get caught up. Promise! ;)

19. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Fantastic update. The conversations Luke had with Leia and Wedge -- :D :D Enjoyed Mara's convo with Iella. The more clues she has the better to fixing her situation. :)

20. AniriRevan

AniriRevan Jedi Master star 1

May 21, 2006
    Wow! thanks so much for the PM! I can't believe I actually missed this?! So...a conspiracy to kill Mara and Mara's Force-sense dimming? And maybe a little L/M slash? [face_thinking] I like it! :D Really curious to see what happens! Thanks again!

21. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    I'm only about halfway through, but it's so good to see you back and posting again! [:D] This looks to be off to a great start. :D

22. jade51999

Nov 5, 1999
    VaderLVR64 So I'm not doing PM's because the story is done i'll be updating it three times a week on schedule. That being said--thanks for stopping by! Let me know what you think when you get caught up.
    Jade_eyes She needs a whole lot of clues. I think I'm rather proud of the angst meter on this one. :)
    AniriRevan Thanks for coming by! I'm glad you like it so far!
    Jedi Trace Hey Trace! I know I sort of got really into writing and life in general and sort of dropped off the boards. Which is good in some ways because there all sorts of new stories and writers to discover! Thanks for reading!
    More in a flash.

23. jade51999

Nov 5, 1999
    Situated near the Senate Chambers, the Remart Towers boasted numerous dining establishments and reception rooms for dignitaries and private parties. The upper floors included state-of-the-art rooms, available for rent as well as apartments for those constantly concerned with security. On any given day holoreporters could be seen camping out to catch a glimpse of a Senator or celebrity attending one of the functions. Today was no different.

Mara scowled as she nearly ran into a reporter skulking their way up the hallway where Wedge Antilles and Iella Wessiri?s engagement reception was taking place. Turning the corner, she pointed the man out to the nearest guard, and smirked with a measure of satisfaction at the protests of the young humanoid as he was dragged out of the hallway. The smirk soon faded away as her commlink chirped for the fifth time. Without picking it up she walked into the nearest turbolift and punched the button for her temporary quarters.

Talon would be out of bacta by now. She knew he would have looked over his backlog of intel reports, seen the same data and come to the same conclusions as Wessiri. That being said, Mara wasn?t under any illusions about the NRI?s tipoff. She was sure that the intel had been passed on owing probably to her relationship with Luke Skywalker and Leia Organa Solo rather than any concern for her well being. Mara couldn?t face her friend and former employer just yet, not until she understood exactly what was going on with her Force abilities.

For the first time since hearing the information, Mara let herself feel the danger she was in. The shootout on Chandrila had not been random, that had been clear enough. What had remained murky though was the motivation behind the attack?something Mara still was having trouble grasping. Taking a quick look down the hallway, she let herself into her room. Her current apartments on Coruscant were in the process of renovation, and practicality had dictated she stay as close to the reception site as possible. Methodically Mara began to dress herself, pulling a long deep purple gown from the rack.

The Rodian. Was that a coincidence as well, or was he part of the plan? Her hand stilled zipping up the dress as she contemplated that particular disruption to her job.

?Shavit.? She glanced at the time, replaced her jewelry, and began the process of unwinding her hair, leaving it draped into loose waves past her shoulder. The reception tonight would afford her many contacts for the Alliance, some semi-respectable smugglers who spent much of their time keeping up their fronts as legitimate businessman and women.

Opening the closet she stared at her profile in the floor length mirror. Made of silk it was fitted to her form and came down to her mid-back. In front the neck was subtle while the sleeves came down to her elbows with slits that were punctuated with a purple diadem at the shoulder and elbow. As with all of her gowns though, Mara had an added bonus, a matching forearm band that allowed her to clip in ID and her commlink on one side. Tucking a strand of hair behind her ear she checked her datapad for messages, unsurprised to see one from Karrde as well as a brief line from Luke intimating that he had returned to Coruscant and would be willing to meet her for a discussion. As she entered the turbolift she realized that Luke would probably be attending the engagement.

Mara prevented that thought from going forward. There was absolutely no way she was going to search out Skywalker and pull him away from his family and friends when he just got back. What right do I have....

?Well look who we have here.?

Sithspit. Always, when she least expected it. She turned and glared without any real malice at the speaker.

?Mara Jade, you certainly are a vision tonight.? Lando Calrissian swept up her hand and pressed his lips to it in greeting.

?Lando.? A warning flashed through her eyes. They had been working on a project of Karrde that had recently been shelved. Unfortunately he had taken their cover story much too s

24. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Ooh riveting update. :D =D= Mara really needs to get this straightened up before something really tragic happens!!! [face_worried] !!!! I'm glad Han's gonna send Luke to accidentally run into Mara at the reception. :) She'd better be straight with him too [face_frustrated]

25. jade51999

Nov 5, 1999
    Jade_eyes When is Mara ever straight with anyone?!

I have a question for everyone else. I know I post really long updates, but I could be convinced to PM everyone on Friday's if you would like. I just don't think I could do it for every M,W & Friday....

Anyway there's one more section in Post III after this one :)

She fled.

Mara remained under no illusions that for the first time in her life she was running away. The quick retreat was foolish, [i]cowardly[/i] and foolish, but Solo?s words had cut her deeper than the still leaking cut on her hand. It had never occurred to her that anyone, least of all Skywalker, would care. Unlocking her door she found herself rooted to the spot, staring with a sinking feeling at the throat. [i]What am I doing here? [/i]

Slowly she unstrapped her blaster from her thigh and tossed the holster to the couch feeling the cool metal against her left hand, ignoring the tingling in her fingers, letting her mind wander to another time.

It was the moment she had first seen Lu?Skywalker up close. Knocked unconscious by Aves, lying in a decrepit tool shed on Myrkr he had looked so weak, harmless. Mara had stood sentry, waiting to see the smugness, the self-assurance that he had destroyed her life. She wanted the justification to kill him the moment he awoke.

But something had held her back. Commitment to Karrde, loyalty, promises?.or maybe it was through her haze of bitterness and anger that she recognized that she just was not ready to kill again.

And now she needed his help. There was a hiss behind her as her unlocked door slid open and she let the blaster crash to the floor. Still she didn?t move, even when the heat of a warm hand tapped her on her shoulder.
    [hr]

[i]Ding [/i]

The quiet arrival of the turbolift broke into the pulsing silence on the nearly empty floor.

Gesturing to Arikak to stay behind Leia tucked a stray strand of hair behind her ear while she approached Mara?s apartment. With the dim lighting in the hallway and the dark pre-Imperial tones of maroon and yellow gilding the air seeped with history?dank, shadowy and oppressive.

She reached for the announcer, but her hand shifted halfway and to her surprise the unlocked door glided open. If it was possible, the flat was even darker then the hallway. ?Mara?? She hesitated and then stepped through faltering just past the entryway.

Mara stood in the center of the room, her purple dress a deep onyx in the gloom. Lights flashed from the wide elegant windows and a steady glimmer highlighted the pale features of the trader.

Leia found herself shivering at the stark vulnerability evidenced in the way the woman stood. Her eyes were closed, head bent forward?her shallow breaths barely audible. Mara had left herself slightly exposed as she stood with her back to the entrance. Furrowing her brow, Leia shuttered away the sudden concern. She and Mara weren?t friends, by any means, but the woman had saved the life of her children?and for that she would be eternally grateful.

The clattering of Mara?s blaster to the floor broke the frozen tableau and with a more sedate motion then earlier in the day, Leia raised her hand hesitatingly and deliberately pressed it on the trader?s shoulder.

Mara inhaled suddenly, a long shuddering breath that to anyone else would have been mistaken for sobs. ?Do you believe in destiny Organa-Solo??

Leia shook her head, ?I don?t know, but its possible that despite all that I have seen happen that we all have our paths to walk. ? She laughed lightly, trying to break the ominous mood of the conversation. ?I suppose some of Han?s skepticism has influenced me.?

Mara whirled around and the other woman couldn?t help but notice the slight unsteadiness in her gait. As a diversion and mostly because she could tell that the napkin from the reception was soaked from the still bleeding cut, Leia walked to the small kitchenette and retrieved a hand towel. With the growing irrepressible silence, Leia watched as Mara accepted it and slowly began removing the soiled rag with quick mechanical moti

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.