main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Into the flood again: Alice in Chains

Discussion in 'Community' started by Staley, Jan 15, 2013.

1. Staley

Staley Jedi Youngling

Jan 14, 2013
    One of the most important bands of the 90s, Alice in Chains was my 2nd favorite band for a long time. For me, they are about on par with Soundgarden, another great Seattle band of that era. Me and my circle of friends at the time practically worshipped Layne Staley. He spiraled down into drugs time and time again (each time they released an album it seemed) and eventually the band just went into a sort of hiatus. When Layne finally died in 2002, I remember being shocked he had lasted that long. I figured he would succumb long before then. Still, it was sad to see the end of someone so talented.

When the rumors started to fly in like 2007 that Alice in Chains had reformed with a new singer, I was quick to condemn it and say I would never accept it. But in 2009, I came across their first new song, "A Looking In View" and I was completely blown away by it. Not only did the song sound like Alice in Chains, but I swore somewhere buried in the layer harmonies was Layne's voice. It was simultaneously exhilerating and disturbing. When the album came out, I bought it and I genuinely love it. It has lots of great new songs that I enjoy to the level of much of Alice in Chains' classic catalogue with Layne.

Now in 2013, they have a brand new song, "Hollow," from their second album with the new singer. I love "Hollow" and will definitely buy the new album when it comes out later this spring. Anyone else still listen to this band? Thoughts on the new stuff? The classic stuff?

JoinTheSchwarz likes this.
  2. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I love AIC. I just posted Hollow here in the music thread. 'Staley'? Welcome new person.

3. Staley

Staley Jedi Youngling

Jan 14, 2013
    Forgot the link to the video for "Hollow":

4. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    Finally new music that doesn't suck. Been listening to this on repeat for about a week now.

5. Staley

Staley Jedi Youngling

Jan 14, 2013
    I've been listening to it a lot as well. Also Black Gives Way to Blue. Great album.