main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Into the Gate: Stargate SG-1 (Spoiler-Free)

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by JediTrilobite, Jan 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    Okay, there's been a little bit of discussion about whether there should be two seperate threads, one for SG-1 and one for Atlantis, but for now, let's start off with one single one and see where discussion goes from there.

The other two shows on SciFi's friday night lineup, Stargate SG-1 is based off of the movie and Atlantis is a spinoff of SG-1. Both shows are doing very well, and have been renewed for a 10th and 3rd season respectively.

Step through the gate.

2. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    You do realize that you can have as many threads on SG as one wants, or any specfic show right? So this'll just be a general discussion thread. :p

Curse work but I can't wait till Friday!

3. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    Alrighty, I'll make up one for Atlantis. Just keep in mind that we'll annoy Quest :p

4. Errant_Venture

Feb 21, 2002
    Isn't that our specialty? :p

5. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    :D

I'm actually missing out on all the episodes, because I'll be in London, England Friday.

6. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    I love SG-1!!!!!!!

Since I normally work Fridays, I always have to catch the reruns which sucks.

So when's the new episodes start again and is the one guy who's name I always forget still the leader of the team? And has Jack or will Jack ever return to being part of the team?

~PK~

7. AmberStarbright

AmberStarbright Jedi Grand Master star 7

Dec 20, 2002
    JediTrilobite, the UK usually plays episodes on normal tv on Sundays on Channel 4 at about 3pm. However I am not sure where they are currently up to series wise.

8. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    Channel 4 shows previous seasons the new and up to date ones are on Sky on Tuesdays (SG-1) Wednesdays (Atlantis)

9. AmberStarbright

AmberStarbright Jedi Grand Master star 7

Dec 20, 2002
    Up to date depending on what tv package you have. I was "up to date" with channel 4, now after being in Canada for a couple of weeks I am going to be lost when I get back :p

Oh well, at least it is on.

10. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    >>Just keep in mind that we'll annoy Quest<<

Just seems more organized to have one general discussion thread for the franchise, especially given how much crossover there is between the two shows.

11. sidious618

sidious618 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 20, 2003
    Nah, two work much better. They may cross over but they're very different shows thematically.

12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
  13. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    I think new episodes start next week. I could be wrong.

Richard Dean Anderson (Jack) is I believe done. I think he shot the eps he negotiated with Sci - Fi early in the season which introduced Ben Browder's Cameron Mitchell, but I don't know if RDA is going to film anymore eps next season. 10 seems to be a fitting number for SG-1 to go out on and it would be fitting if RDA was apart of the final year in some capacity.

oh and those who haven't heard yet.

Claudia Black will be a regular in SG-1's 10 season, meaning her Vala will be back. (and hopefully she gets Daniel as her and Michael Shanks seem to have much more chemistry on this show than she and Ben do)

14. The Bigger Fish

The Bigger Fish Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2000
    I haven?t seen the later seasons yet. Has the show gone downhill with less O?Neill? Or is it just as entertaining?

15. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    That sucks, I really love Jack's charecter. And I knew about what you said in the black, I read it somewhere else on these boards or saw it on Sci-Fi I don't remember.

But I'll still watch it if I'm home on a Friday night.

~PK~

16. Errant_Venture

Feb 21, 2002
    I don't think the show's gone down in quality at all with RDA leaving. Actually I think it kicked up in his absence what with a new threat and all. The Go'auld plot was beginning to drag out IMO.

Isn't Britain already getting the later half of season 9? I remember hearing somewhere that they didn't get hit with a 3 month break like the States did for SG.

17. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    I don't think that Britian's gotten the episodes at all yet.

And I really like Browder on the show. He's cool.

18. AT-AT_Commander

AT-AT_Commander Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 23, 2001
    I miss seeing Stargate SG-1 and Atlantis. I currently don't have cable so I'm missing all the new stuff. I just started getting into it when Atlantis came on but I am going to get old episodes on DVD soon.

19. TC-47

TC-47 Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 29, 2005
    I liked Jack: Atlantis was awful, and the new series will not half as good without him. I own all of the Stargate SG-1 series apart from the last one realesed on box set. And the Jack from the movies isn't that good either.

20. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    How long as this board been in existence? I only just noticed it.

Jack made the SG-1 series, eg. he was the reason I started watching, just for those great comments!

And as far as Atlantis is concerned, Doctor McKay is the best thing. If he ever got killed off, I would be hard put to hang around.

21. MasterP

MasterP Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jun 8, 2003
    SG-1 one rocks. I have seven seasons on DVD, and this Friday they start up new episodes on both SG-1 and Atlantis. Who thinks the season 9 episodes aren't as good as the previous seasons?

22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I've really dug Season 9 so far. The Daniel/Vala interaction has been great and the Ori are a terrifying enemy (which the Goa'uld really haven't been since the film and the first few episodes of the show) which pose an actual serious threat (since, unlike the Goa'uld, we do not have the capability to disprove their godhood).

I also dug the Last Samurai-esque feel to the one episode with the guy from Final Destination.

If anything, it was actually dissapointing to have Carter finally return, because she kinda seemed redundant by that point. Hopefully she'll fit into the new group dynamic better as we move forward.

If they can do that, and give a few more episodes to better development Cameron (who, shy the first episod, sorta got the short end of the character development stick in the first half of the season), the show will improve immensely. I only hope they can continue to make the Ori a palpable threat, and not let them trail off like the Goa'uld and Wraith did.

23. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    Your right, Carter is kind of redundant at this point, especially with Black being made a regular next year. I'm wondering (and this is just speculation since nothing beyond the 10th year and Black coming back have really been announced) if Amanda Tapping is indeed returning for the tenth year.

My real complaint is indeed Mitchell. I like the eps thus far, but Mitchell just seems like a carbon copy of Browder's previous Sci - Fi character John Criton. I'm hoping the last half of the season and Season 10 are able to make Mitchell different from John.

24. Warrior_of_Mandalore

Warrior_of_Mandalore Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 1, 2003
    I feel that the last season hasn't really been up to par. The Goa'uld were just much better villains.

Warrior_of_Mandalore Strikes Again!

25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    >>but Mitchell just seems like a carbon copy of Browder's previous Sci - Fi character John Criton. I'm hoping the last half of the season and Season 10 are able to make Mitchell different from John.<<

Actually, i think they are different, though there are similarities. Cam seems more optimistic/eager yet more restrained (sane? ;) ) than John.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.