main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Into the Gate: Stargate SG-1 (Spoiler-Free)

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by JediTrilobite, Jan 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    Lucky UK punks getting the episodes before us!

I know this episode isn't over yet, but in the last segment when two SG-1s are on Promethus did Col. Mitchel actually say FUBAR? I thought I heard him saw that and it made me laugh as the actual word isn't allowed on cable TV to the best of my knowledge.

2. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    Bah, Vala was one of the best things to happen to the show in a long time. I loved the first few episodes of season 9 with her. It hasn't been quite the same since.

And yes, he says FUBAR. What it stands for isn't allowed on TV of any kind but it wasn't the first or only time I've heard the acronym.

What I was a bit confused about though. Haven't there been a lot of SG-1 episodes dealing with alternate universes? There is at least half a dozen I can think of. Why did everyone act like this was the first they've heard of it?

3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I think that since it didn't revolve around previously encountered causes of alternate dimensions, such as the Quantum Mirror, it put them on guard that a less radical explaination might be the actual answer.

Plus this is Landy and Cam's first encounter with such occurances, and the lack of a connection to the Mirror gave even Carter some doubt.

4. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Kvasir had some great lines.

"Courage, and a steadfast resolve, will be the key to success..........Well, good luck to you all!" ::beams out::

There was also a very funny, silent, exchange between Kvasir and the Chevron guy at the end around the time they were firing the weapon.

Ben and Amanda had some good ones too.

"How come it didn't effect those teams?"
    "One more stupid question-"
    ::Landry looks at him::
    "On, no, yours was fine sir- mine is stupid."

"Me and myself- the other Smaatha Carter."
    "Ah, finally someone who can keep up with you."
    "...yep!"

"So you're saying in some otehr alternate reality, I got o 2nd base with (some girls name)?"
    "...yes..."

5. DarkSyder

DarkSyder Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 28, 2003
    I dislike Vala and to a certain degree, Mitchell. I was so happy when Sam returned. Vala is annoying and the only time I liked her was in The Powers That Be because she wasn't quite as annoying. All the little things she says just get in the way. Mitchell is an alright character, but he doesn't deserve to be leading SG-1. He had no offworld experience when he came to the SGC... he hadn't even seen the gate. So it's a problem I have with his backstory. There should be no way that Mitchell would be allowed to lead the flagship SG team, especially now that Sam came back, she has 100 times as much offworld experience as he does and she was leading the team last season. Plus I hate the way he simply calls Daniel "Jackson". I also don't like how he acts so cheeky toward their enemies. Jack earned that right, so did Daniel. Mitchell's the new guy, he shouldn't be so in your face. Jonas was much more acceptable and he had great chemistry with Daniel at the end of S6 and beginning of S7.

Landry is acceptable but he's got nothing on General Hammond. Dr. Lam is a far cry from Dr. Fraiser. I don't like her. I'd prefer Dr. Brightman over Dr. Lam, Brightman may have been really flat but that's what she should have been in the introductory episodes. New characters who replace old ones should be introduced low key and let them slowly show their characters, instead of having them show attitude right away.

If Season 10 has less Sam and more Vala, I might stop watching. The only good Season 9 episodes had more Sam in them: Beachhead, Prototype and Fourth Horseman. So if Season 10 becomes Farsgate (or FarceGate) SG-None, I'll stop watching. If there's more Sam on Atlantis, then that's what I'll watch. Then SGA would have McKay, Sam, Beckett and Zelenka.

6. MasterP

MasterP Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jun 8, 2003
    If Season 10 has less Sam and more Vala, I might stop watching. The only good Season 9 episodes had more Sam in them: Beachhead, Prototype and Fourth Horseman. So if Season 10 becomes Farsgate (or FarceGate) SG-None, I'll stop watching. If there's more Sam on Atlantis, then that's what I'll watch. Then SGA would have McKay, Sam, Beckett and Zelenka.

I'm not happy with the Vala situation, but that doesn't mean I'm going to stop watching the show. I do think that season 9 has been a disappointment so far. It has nothing to do with Mitchell, although they could develope his character more. I just wish they could start making good episodes like Atlantis. There hasn't been an action scene in season 9 that I have been satisfied yet. So they hopefully will pick up the slack.

7. Qkey

Qkey Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 14, 2005
    So how did you guys like last nights eposode?

8. MasterP

Jun 8, 2003
    Could have been better, but next week's episode looks prett good.

9. weezer

May 16, 2001
    See I'm the exact opposite. I quite enjoyed the FarGate feel of the first half of season 9 and have been less into the show since Vala left (eagerly anticipating her return). I thought that Vala developed more in the 5 episodes that she was in then some of the other characters did in 9 seasons.

For the most part I liked the old SG-1 team but it got stale quick IMO. Yeah Jack was sarcastic, Teal'c was stoic, and Sam well she was the walking Deus Ex Machina but at the end of the day that was it. That was part of the reason I largely gave up on SG-1 during seasons 5-8. They tried changing and evolving the character but after so long of the same it fell flat IMO. So they went back to the way it was. I felt the same way when they brought in Jonas. Part of that may have been that Daniel was my favorite character but even then it felt like they replaced Daniel with Daniel (maybe with a little more Sam thrown in) so what was the point. Thats what I liked about the introduction of Mitchell (even though he is largely a Jack redux) and Vala because they were different from what had come before (in Vala's case drastically different). It changed the dynamics of the team. It injected a different feel and for the most part felt like and entirely new show. Which even though thats what made me like it is probably the same reason that other people hated it.

10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Also, as a heads up- I noticed Best Buy (at least in my area) has Season 8 on sale for $25. Finally got my copy ::)

(now to mail away for the disc with the extended version of "Threads"...)

11. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    25? Nice. Right when I'm out of the country. :p

12. weezer

May 16, 2001
    Can you? I seem to recall when I got mine that I was right on the cusp of the redemption dates. It was the most complicated process for that I've ever had to go through. With GITS 2 they sent everything to me and I just had to send it back. With this one I had to do everything including paying for shipping. Still haven't gotten it back now that I think about it.

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Damn, youre right- it requires it be purchased by the end of 2005...but I think you can just provide the online form a false sale date. Regardless it has to be postmarked by Jan 31st, so I'm just barely gonna make this if I can fudge it.

14. weezer

May 16, 2001
    That's what I though.

There shouldn't be any reason you can't fudge the online form. Its getting it in by the 31st that I would be worried about.

Probably the reason Best Buy had them for $25.00 to begin with :p

I just hope that its worth it. I've never seen the episode and I figured I'd wait 'till I got the "right" one.

15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah I'm gonna ensure that gets to the post office tommorow.

As for Threads itself- it was definitely a good episode that would have served as a fine series finale (much moreso than Moebius), had it been the last episode. I haven't seen the edited version yet, so I can't comment on how it affects the episode (been rewatching the series with a friend and we just got to Season 8 so I'll wait until we get there to watch the short version), but I certainly don't want to miss out on owning the version I saw when it first aired, thus my surprise at the short window they gave people to switch the discs.

16. weezer

May 16, 2001
    Well Universal isn't going to win any friends with the way that they handled the DVD switch.

First off people were obviously upset that they didn't get the episode they watched in the set. I guess it was nice of them even to offer a replacement disc but that seems to becoming more and more popular as an effective customer service/PR tool so I dare say it was expected.

Like I said though, it was a pain. Why am I filling out a rebate form for it? Why do I have to pay the shipping? Why did you have me print out that stupid form if you are going to make me hand write the mailing label?

It was weired and poorly handled IMO.

17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    There was a shipping cost? I didn't see that listed anywhere.

(and it's MGM, not Universal)

18. weezer

May 16, 2001
    You're right. I'm still mad at Universal over the BSG 2.0 thing so I slipped up.

Anyways, yeah you've got to get it to them so they can replace it. Other times I've had to do this the company sent me a pre-paid mailer so there was no cost to me at all. With this one I had to ship it to them. It wasn't bank breaking and I probably could of done it for the price of a stamp if I would of used a paper case instead of a full sized DVD case but it was still a buck fifty I shouldn't of had to spend.

19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Ah, so after they get my form and POP approved, they're gonna request a shipping fee from me on the following step?

20. weezer

May 16, 2001
    I don't know it sounds like you did it differently then I did.

IIRC there were two things you could do to get the DVD. First off you went to the site like we both did and filled out the form. After that you take the paper you print out and send it with one of two things either the DVD in the case or the UPC from the box. Since I didn't like the idea of cutting up my box I sent the DVD and case (now that I'm reading it again I'm hoping I get it since I didn't send the original jewel case just some generic one I got from AOL [face_worried] ). If you sent in the UPC it only cost you a stamp. Sending in the DVD and case cost me round about $1.50.

21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Ah, gotcha.

22. MasterP

Jun 8, 2003
    Tonight's new episode, Ethon, was a shocker for me. I never knew they would kill off the Prometheus. It had some good space fighting and some good parts. Next weeks episode looks wierd.
    May it rest in pieces.

23. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    I can not believe they killed off the Promethesus. That was a complete shocker to me. I certainly hope Earth has another 303 underway thats due for liftoff soon, otherwise either Atlantis or Earth is going to be shy of protection for a bit.

24. MasterP

Jun 8, 2003
    I can not believe they killed off the Promethesus. That was a complete shocker to me.

Great brains think alike, eh? :p

EDIT: I think there will be another 303 coming around soon. It is called the Kesolev. But it is a Russian ship. Anyone here about this?

25. weezer

May 16, 2001
    I hadn't heard anything about that and a google search didn't pull anything up (but that means nothing).

Anyways, first episode in awhile thats been worth posting about wasn't it. Mean ol' Ori they should just leave people alone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.