main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Into the Gate: Stargate SG-1 (Spoiler-Free)

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by JediTrilobite, Jan 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I kinda wish they had waited at least an episode to introduce the new ship. But, pretty sweet episode still. The Baal and Lucian plotlines are turning out to be pretty solid B-arcs for this season.

2. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    I agree. I wish they would've mentioned earlier that Earth was close to completing the Oddessy as she came right out of the blue. I understood Daedelus's appearance as it was the sister ship to Promethesus and I figured they were building two at once. I don't know yet what to make of the Lucian Alliance plotline but I'm really liking Baal's attempts to regain power and I can easily see him doing just that.

3. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    For an SG-1 music video I'm working on, I want to include a few funny Teal'c quotes/moments, so I'm curious what people's favorite Teal'c quote is? (prefeably from Seasons 1-8, since thats whats available on DVD currently)

(the "Teal'c has seen SW, what? Eight times?" "Nine." bit and "My depth is immaterial to this conversation" are definitely in ;) )

4. Minder

Minder Jedi Youngling star 3

May 28, 2002
    There is a good one in season nine about immaculate conception and Star Wars :)

5. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, I wish I had the DVD already so I could use that one (don't want to use lesser quality TV rips to maintain a uniform quality)

6. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    Thought this was cool and shouldn't just be reserved for the spoiler thread.

Just FYI for those interested. As part of free comic book day, diamond will be giving out free Jack O'neil figures from their upcoming SG-1 line.
    [image=http://www.freecomicbookday.com/images/promos/DST-FCBD-fig.jpg]

Edit: You should just wait for season 9 to come out to make your video Quest. You got another jewel tonight.

Daniel: "A lot of legends and folk lore have a strong basis in fact. Avalon, Atlantis...
    Teal'c: "The Easter Bunny"

7. Stargate_Dude

Stargate_Dude Jedi Youngling

Apr 20, 2006
    Jedi council = ancients/bra'tac
    My name on gateworld is wako! for anyone registered
    Here is a nice star wars/gate video

8. Son of the Suns

Son of the Suns Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 6, 1999
    That sounds great. But I bet they'll either be all out by the time I get to the shop or they'll never get any in the first place. I always only see the lame stuff on Free Comic Book Day.

9. MasterP

MasterP Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jun 8, 2003
    Well season 9 has come and gone. The first half of the season was a disappointment to me. I'm trying to find some time and watch some re-runs of them on Sci-fi. What was everyone's favorite episode? Mine was the episode Stronghold, where SG-1 and a few other teams go and rescue Teal'c on Baal's ship. Another good one was when Mitchell, Carter, and Daniel became invisible to everyone else.

10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    For the first half of the season, my favorites were Prototype (Khalek was a great evil badguy, and I'm a sucker for kickass telekinetics), Origin (the Doci/ori/Daniel exchange in particular was worth rewatching several times) and The Powers That Be (for both the Daniel/Prior exchange and how it affected Vala).

Though I also liked the Last Samurai-esque nature of Babylon, the Baal-goodness of Dues Ex Machina and the action of Beachhead (as well as the Nerus/Landry exchanges).

For the second half of the season, my favorites were The Fourth Horseman part 2 (for the Teal'c/Braytac/Gerak scenes; as well as the GREAT Landry/Prior conversation), Ripple Effect (alternate universe story? sooo there), Stronghold (great action), Ethon (sad but good action) and Off the Grid (for Baal, Nerus and more dual-weilding by Teal'c ;) ).

Camelot's sword fights and space battles were good, and Arthur's Mantle was a good followup to the concepts from Crystal Skull. Even Collateral Damage and The Scourge were solid. And, of cours,e Crusade's 'Darth Vader" line was a great topper ;)

11. Son of the Suns

Son of the Suns Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 6, 1999
    Don't remember all the episode names, but my favorites were the ones with Vala. She was a great addition to the cast and I hope to see more of her next season.

12. weezer

May 16, 2001
    Well I won't get too far into it since it is the NS thread but you may get your wish SotS

I loved the first part of the season. Avalon, Origin, Ties that Bind, Powers that Be all great. I wasn't thrilled with some of the middle but I still liked it. Started really picking up with Arthur's Mantle, Crusade, and totaly went out with a big, big bang with Camelot.

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    After almost a year, I've finally finished my SG-1 Music Video, set to Manowar's "Thor (The Powerhead)".

Enjoy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9USQ_Qemjo

14. Jedi_Reject_Jesse

Jedi_Reject_Jesse Jedi Grand Master star 7

Aug 26, 2004
    I tried watching the first season but found it awful...a couple months ago I saw an episode on tv, and that, amid claims that the first 2-3 seasons generally sucked, prompted me to give SG1 another chance. I rented the complete 4th season, and I LOVE IT!!!!:cool:

15. weezer

May 16, 2001
    Yeah I was never a big fans of the early seasons either.

16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The earlier seasons are helped by the latter ones (it definitely hits it's stride in season 3), though there are still quite a few episodes among them that are still some of my favorites (The Torment of Tantalus, Solitudes, There But For The Grace of God, Thor's Chariot, The Fifth Race & A Matter of Time, among others) and are just darn good episodes.

17. NJOfan215

NJOfan215 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 17, 2003
    I think the first season was strong in general, but when you compare it to other first seasons i think it does very well for itself. I think the second season wasn't as good as the first.

18. weezer

May 16, 2001
    Thats probably true (though I don't know if I've seen enough of season two to say if it was better or not). I think first seasons suck in general.

I can't think of any relatively long running series I like where I think the first season was the end all best season. Buffy, Angel, Alias, Futurama, Farscape, I think they were all great but once they hit their stride in later season the were phenomenally good.

Atlantis might be the lone exception for me. I was really into it the first season but never quite carried it into the current ones.

The best thing about the early seasons of SG-1 are being able to look back and see how far the characters have come. Shanks and Jackson is always a good example looking at how he evolved it from just being a caricature of what Spader had done in the movie to really making the role his own.

I also wanted to start kind of a mini banner contest for the show. As you may or may not know there is a standing offer from the mods of this board that we can submit banners for big events in SFF F&TV (like the current BSG banner to mark the season 3 premiere). As the longest running SF TV show I think that we should defiantly get something together for SG-1. Obviously we missed the season 10 premiere but we can still do something for when the show comes back from the mid-season break or the series finale [face_sniff].

I've got a little work in progress going but there is obviously more work and progress needed on it. :p
    [image=http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/6143/bannermc3.jpg]

Ideally we could get a couple of options as I'm sure everyone would have different ideas of what they would like to see (for example I don't know if everyone would like the season 9 and 10 slant that mine has). Then we could pick one to submit to [b]506[/b] around March-ish.

I know thats a long time to go but I wanted to drum up some support early on so as we get closer we'd be sure to have something to put up. If nothing else comes up I'll defiantly be submitting a (hopefully) more finished version of what I'm working on around that time so if you want something a little more representative of the series as a whole be sure and make one up. :p

If you are interested you can find dimensions, tricks, and tips in the [link=http://boards.theforce.net/communications/b10006/15616242/p1]Offical Banner Makers Thread[/link].

I hope to see at least a couple that we, as the fanbase for the show on these boards, can decide upon to represent one of our favorite shows for at least a little bit before its demise.

Edit: I like to keep this in the NS board (though I will be posting in in the Spoiler board as well) just so that it is accessible to those who might be avoiding spoilers.

19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I was also contemplating an SG-1 banner for the midseason returns.

This sig banner from someone over on gateworld was where I was gonna take my inspiration from (shy the text).

[image=http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8282/supportsg1siguc1.jpg]

20. weezer

May 16, 2001
    Well cool at least we'll have two.

That is a good image for a banner. I debated on using it or the one that I used.

Here was the one I was working with. Little lo-res but it might work for you if you can't find a better one without the extra text

[image=http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/8784/20020060817110303978gk8.jpg]

21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    http://www.stargatesg1.com

There's a mystery countdown there now. Apparently, going by some posts over on agteworld, this is a huge relaunch for the official SG-1 site, into a sort of myspace/youtube hybrid to help focus efforts to save the show.

According to a site developer working on the redesign who posted over on Gateworld:

-Users will be able to create profile pages (think myspace but without the rigid framework of boxes like "people I would like to meet") and you will have access to tons of high-resolution MGM pics - from episodes, b roll and press kits - to use in your profiles.

-There _WILL_ be complete episodes online - not at launch due to some non-technical issues - but coming shortly thereafter. They will be free to stream online but will have ads. Downloads/rentals will also be available at some point after the launch.

-Of course all the behind the scenes, promos, interviews, etc that were produced by the stargate team will also be available and will grow with time.

-Users will be encouraged to upload and share vlogs about why the SG1 should be kept in production as well as commentary on episodes and fanfic.

Beta users have posted this shot as well:

[image=http://truefd.com/site.jpg]

Notice there's still a space for Season 11... [face_thinking]

And those hi-rez pics will certainly help our banner efforts here ::)

22. weezer

May 16, 2001
    I was thinking that too :p

I'm also interested in seeing what they offer up in terms of downloads. I'll probably stick with iTunes but I'm sure I'll grab one or two from the site just 'cause.

Looks like MGM is looking at a digital future as well.

23. weezer

May 16, 2001
    Banner take two.

[image=http://img172.imageshack.us/img172/3935/untitled4fp4.jpg]

Edit: I don't know if we get to choose or not but I've been trying to come up with a good "Poof-ism" to go along with it. I kind of like the Kleenex thing but I was also thing about "Yarael Poof doesn't care if they're inside or outside". Something that would be the epitome of in jokey.

24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I like the gate "arch" approach.

How about "Yarael Poof likes the yellow ones." ? ;)

25. weezer

May 16, 2001
    Yeah I thought that the gate would make a good curve peice. Unfortunatly when I was trying it I had to really blow the gate up to the the arc to go over everyones head. I'm not real thrilled with how the resolution turned out on the gate because of that.

Still, plenty of tinkering time to go.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.