1. A Warning For Everyone To See:

PT vs. OT vs. ST (in any combination) debates are not allowed in the New Movies forums. Discussions that descend into OT/PT/ST bashing/gushing will be subject to Mod action. Consider this your warning.

Discussion Intro Scene

Discussion in 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' started by Loupgarou, Nov 26, 2013.

1. Iron_lord Force Ghost

star 8
    Something like the opening to The Fellowship of the Ring?
  2. Visivious Drakarn Jedi Knight

star 2
    I'll base my speculation on this matter on the previous two trilogy-opening movies, TPM and ANH.

They all start with some kind of interaction between the heroes and villains. While we can argue about the heroes part because Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan and Leia are not the main heroes, the villains part is quite clear. In TPM it starts with the villains' henchmen, but soon after the main one appears as hologram. In ANH it starts with the stormtroopers, but a second later there's Vader... For this occasion I'd skip Palpatine in the OT.

So I'd guess that at the beginning of Ep 7 there will be some event that'll involve both heroes and villains, probably secondary heroes and the villains' henchmen with possible appearance of the main villain.

I'd like that they keep the main hero's appearance for at least 10-15 minutes in the movie (as it was done with Anakin and Luke), and skip TPM's Sidious' recipe of appearing every 20 minutes and OT's when he finally appears in the last movie. My ideal scenario would be to show the main villain in the second part of the movie.
    Iron_lord likes this.
  3. I Are The Internets Force Ghost

star 8
    Please no flashbacks of villains. I prefer the ominousness.
  4. HegoDamask Jedi Knight

star 2
    Opening of the film will be a villain me-thinks, then the first act will focus on Han, Luke, Leia, Lando and supporting characters coming together from across the galaxy; to face said threat.
  5. Gabricjen Jedi Master

star 3
    Mav Edit: There is a thread for first scene speculation. I'm going to merge this with that thread.

Hope this isn't redundant, if so point me in the right direction...
    There is some speculation that the beginning of the new trailer with Rey opening a dark cover with light showing through it is actually the scene following the opening crawl. This would be a first if it is. Every SW film opens in space. If this is true, is this acceptable? What do you think? Have you heard this rumor? I heard it opens with a lightsaber flying through space but this could be a different take. Maybe JJ made a change?

I mislabeled this thread, it should be first scene after crawl.
    Last edited by mavjade, Nov 8, 2015
  6. Darth Palpadious Jedi Knight

star 2
    Hmm, I'm not sure I'd like it but it would certainly be very bold and memorable. A sudden, stark cut would be something new. But all this time I have been imagining the traditional pan down to space where something is happening to kick-start the story.

Right after that initial scene which teases some sort of wider event happening, I would be happy for it to cut to that shot and start from Jakku. But there should be some little flourish to commemorate the return of Star Wars before that happens.
  7. CEB Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    I expect this to be redirected, but in the meantime; I like the idea of the film opening that way, but I think the possibility of it is undermined by the fact that it was shown in the trailer - I think they would have preferred the first shot to be utterly new.

Also, rumours suggest Rey doesn't appear until a little way into the film.
  8. Darth Palpadious Jedi Knight

star 2
    That would make sense given the ANH parallels. We need someone to come down to Jakku first and bring Rey into the story for the parallel to work, much like the droids went down to Tatooine and brought Luke in (and indeed how the TPM gang went down to Tatooine to bring Anakin in).
    Last edited by Darth Palpadious, Nov 8, 2015