main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Introducing Durge

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by The2ndQuest , Mar 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    >>I can HEAR him now, he will probably talk like Cobra Commander from that horrid 80's GI JOE cartoon series<<

Dude, you can't diss Chris Latta's voice work- he's freaking Starscream, man! ::)

2. Darth Jamus

Darth Jamus Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 1, 2000
    Yeah, but he's also Cobra Commander, Grrrrr!

3. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Doesn't matter, they're interchangable [face_batting]

Ones a coward who wants command, the other is a coward who already has command ;;D

4. SaberGiiett7

SaberGiiett7 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 2, 2002
    I'm intrigued, he resemble's a twisted version of Jango Fett. :)

Although his figiruen(sp?) looks like one of those extreme Spawn type toys. 8-}-- And yeah I can picture him sounding like Cobra Commander or at least Judge Dredd or something. ;)

And on top of that, if its Mandalorian - it has to cause some carnage. :cool:

<[-]> Saber

5. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Am I the only one that thinks he looks like a futuristic version of the Shredder from Ninja Turtles? :p

No, seriously, I don't like him! Both his overly-evil character (based on his line in the picture) and his looks are too.... clishé! (sp?)

6. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
  7. dArTh_wenley

dArTh_wenley Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 10, 2001

This guy looks so much like Vader it isn't funny.

8. kampilan

kampilan Jedi Padawan star 4

May 18, 2002
    Kinda like Shredder's helmet... I think he reminds me of Lord Humongous and Blaster from the Mad Max movies! ;)
    As for the deathskull, I'm thinking the Mandalores and Durge people have some tribal fuedal clan war of some kind.
    He looks like some project Rob Liefield of Youngblood and X-Factor comics dreamed up but I still dig him. Looking forward to the action figure, the comics tie-in, the CW shorts and his short-lived career...at least he lasted longer than Darth Maul!! :D

9. Darth Jamus

Jun 1, 2000
    Not really, when you consider all of Darth Maul's EU appearances prior to TPM. Durge won't be around on film any long than the cool Sith Lord to be sure, and let me add that at least Darth Maul looks like he came from Star Wars!

The2ndQuest, I am only making fun of Cobra Commander's memorable voice because it was soooo wrong for the character! If you have ever read the GI JOE comics and file cards that came before the cartoon, you would see why the cartoon version is so stupidly wrong and incorrect as compared to the original idea for the character (yet sadly the most well known). That is why I am using this as an insult to this new silly Durge character that fits with Saturday morning cartoons! Just in fun of course!

10. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    I can't say that I'm impressed with Durge. With all the possibilites for unique characters, it seems like they could come up with someone who is half Fett/half Vader.

Oh well, I won't judge him too much until I see the cartoon.

11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    >>If you have ever read the GI JOE comics and file cards that came before the cartoon, you would see why the cartoon version is so stupidly wrong and incorrect as compared to the original idea for the character<<

Out of curiosity, what was the original idea for him? I'll admit, since I grew up with Latta's voice as Cobra Commander, I don't have any problems with his voice.

12. Darth Jamus

Jun 1, 2000
    The2ndQuest, A bit of his origin from Marvel Comics, Cobra Commander was a used car salesman whose bad luck estranged him from his own family and drove him into extreme paranoia. He was convinced that "big business" was conspiring to keep the little guys like him down for the count, so he founded an organization made up mostly of malcontents. Using the funds made from pyramid schemes and other underhanded sales methods and tactics, he launched an underground organization whose aim was to bypass government regulations and garner power through terrorism and extortion. He named the organization Cobra and renamed himself Cobra Commander.

Cobra worked out of their main base in the small town of Springfield, where everyone from the mayor on down to the kids playing hopscotch on the street were totally in the thrall of Cobra and its goals. A pefectly ordinary town on the surface right in the middle of America which housed the enemy themselves! He resorted to using extreme brainwashing techniques created by his scientists on unsuspecting citizens in order to ultimately reach his goals.

He was thought to have been killed by one of his elite guards who thought he was going soft at one point in the comics when he wanted a normal life again. This gurad from the Fred series took his place for abouyt fifty issues, but the real commander returned and exacted revenge upon Fred and all who were in on the conspiarcy against him. There is tons more information than this little bit I have told, but,this is a Star Wars discussion afterall LOL!

There was some really good storytelling in this series and I would highly recommend it if you are interested. It is EXTREMELY different from the cartoon, much better and more realistic!

Back on topic, however, I really hope that all this stuff we are learning about Durge isn't going to be in the cartoon itself. I hope that it has been created as a backstory for the comics and other EU only. I think that any of this stuff being mentioned in the cartoon concerning secondary characters like Durge will be a waste of precious screentime that could be better spent on our main characters! I told my brother about Durge and he rolled his eyes!

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Interesting- though the cartoon took a totally different approach to Cobra in general, so I guess the different approach to Cobra Commander in it would be tied to that shift as well.

14. Darth Jamus

Jun 1, 2000
    Yes, though Cobra's arm does affect the world in the comics, it is basically a terrorist organization of American origin. GI JOE invaded Sprigfield at one point, but as the story unfolded Cobra took over an actual island off the coast and managed to swing getting declared as a country with diplomatic rights and such! Interesting twists, the commander sort of reminds me of Iraq and its leader (sort of). The writer, Larry Hama, strove for some level of reality in his writings. He ultimately REFUSED to put Hasbro's goofy Cobra-La monster toyline into his comic series and I applaud him for that! If you would like to read a much more complete comic book biography on the character, click here Biography from the G.I.Joe Comics Homepage
    Interesting, though you do not actually learn these things about him in this sequence in the comics, this is just a life biography so to speak!

Here is his file card data released by Hasbro in 1984 which states that his primary military specialty is Intelligence and his secondary military specialty is Ordance (Experimental Weaponry). It says he has persoanlly led uprisings in the Middle East, SouthEast Asia, and other trouble spots. It declares him the most dangerous man alive! Even this is different from the spoiled brat cowardly aristocratic buffoon of the cartoon! I guess that you can see why I hate the voice for this character as opposed to what I think the character should have been like! :)

15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    >>He ultimately REFUSED to put Hasbro's goofy Cobra-La monster toyline into his comic series and I applaud him for that!<<

Yeah, I'm glad that was ignored even in the new line of comics (which, I've rather enjoyed thus far- freakin love the artwork too).

Still, I quite enjoy the artisocratic buffoon version- it's hilarious how he has command but his underlings won't listen to him half the time ::D

16. Darth Jamus

Jun 1, 2000
    I can enjoy the cartoon for the jokey version that it is, but it will forever be tainted for me personally due to having been exposed to the other concepts for Cobra Commander first. When the first cartoon came on, I liked it but hated Cobra Commander's voice!

17. Whitey

Whitey Jedi Master star 6

Jan 26, 2003
    He's got the pseudo-samurai Vader thing going, and he's OBVIOUSLY only there it tie in why Boba Fett has that skull thing on his arm (note the pattern on his chest plates)...my guess is he is offed by Boba, who claims him as him biggest "prize" and therefore takes full ownership of his birthright as Jango's son...

Actually, that skull is a Mandalorian symbol, the group of bounty hunters that Jango belonged to. Boba's armor used to belong to Jaster Mareel, Jango's former mentor. It always had that skull on it, since Jaster was a Mandalorian.

18. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    How can you you imagine Durge as having The Cobra Commander's voice? Durge is just way too large for it.

I imagiine him having the stereotypical touh guy voice.

Oh, and when i read the Cobr Commander's lines in the comic , he does not have the voice of the Cobra Commnder from the cartoon. That just doesn't fit at all.

2ndQuest, the original GI Joe comic series is bing reprinted in its entirety in TPB form. I recommend getting them.

19. Darth Jamus

Jun 1, 2000
    "How can you you imagine Durge as having The Cobra Commander's voice? Durge is just way too large for it"

I would neve have placed that voice with a character like Starscream from Transformers either, but they did it anyways. I would never have placed that voice with Cobra Commander, but they did it anyways. I can easily see it being used for Durge! 8-} Numerous times something cool has been destroyed by bad voice types (no offense intended to Starscream ;) ). that is not to say that I think Durge is cool though!

20. Matthew Trias

Sep 8, 1999
    Well, the voice also doesn't fit his dialogue.

21. Matthew Trias

Sep 8, 1999
    As for Durge, let's wait for Republic 51 before we pass judgement.

22. Darth Jamus

Jun 1, 2000
    I do not need to wait on Republic 51. I have already read Durge's back story and I find it to be rather silly. My only hope is that this stuff stays in the comics and is not mentioned in the cartoon. I do not like his design, but as long as we do not have to hear about him hating all the clones and such I can live with it! Besides, the cartoon won't have much time to waste on silly stuff about a supporting player like him (hopefully).

23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, judging by what they've revealed to us, both Durge and Ventress will be the main bad guys for the cartoon series.

Personally, I thinbk they just did a sub-par job of summarizing his backstory. I mean, let's take Vader, how would he seem to you if his description was made as:

"A slave boy born of immaculate conception who went on to be a Knight during a galactic war. He was turned into an evil cyborg after falling into a volcano."

[face_batting]

24. Darth Jamus

Jun 1, 2000
    Well, when you put it that way..... [face_laugh] 8-}

25. Matthew Trias

Sep 8, 1999
    "A slave boy born of immaculate conception who went on to be a Knight during a galactic war. He was turned into an evil cyborg after falling into a volcano."

Damn, whata a lame ass character.

They also didn't do avery good job describing Ventress either, but we now know that she has a mysterious past that somehow involves Mace. She didn't turn out to be some dark Jedi tossed in the story

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.