main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

MN Introducing ME

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by jfren484, Mar 23, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jfren484

jfren484 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 21, 2001
    Well, unlike Jedi_XandMan, no one suggested I do this, but I'm not shy...

jfren484 was the login id I was given in college, so I use that for just about every website I create an account on. I didn't realize it would be the name everybody sees, but that's ok. I was going to go with Figrin J'ay, since my name is Jay and I like to figure (I like math and logic problems), but the apostraphe wouldn't have been allowed, and it wouldn't be the same without it, so I'll just keep that in my sig.

I'm 27 until May, so I guess that puts me right in the middle of the group here. So far I've seen a bunch of 19-20 year olds, and 30-35's, but not too many in between. I'm married (6.5 years) and have a baby son. Pictures of him are here: http://people.mn.mediaone.net/jafrench/jason/ It's ok if you don't want to post a message about how cute he is. We know. :)

My favorite movie: Star Wars - I would agree that Empire is a better movie, but when you talk about favorites, emotion plays a big part, and I've never got over the feeling I had watching Star Wars for the first time in the theater at the age of 5 (in '78 it was still in the theater!). It was my first non-animated movie I saw in the theater.

Favorite movies besides Star Wars: The Abyss, Star Trek (IV, Generations, and First Contact, especially), Back to the Future, Monty Python and the Holy Grail, the Indiana Jones trilogy (or anything with Harrison Ford, really), Stargate, Titanic (yeah, yeah, I hear you snickering), The Cutting Edge, Liar Liar, Groundhog Day, Christmas Vacation, and Galaxy Quest. If you like Trek, you HAVE to see Galaxy Quest. It's the funniest thing I've ever seen.

Favorite books besides Star Wars: The Lord of the Rings books by J. R. R. Tolkien, any Tom Clancy fiction, Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson was really cool (just finished it), anything by Terry Brooks (I got his autograph on a copy of Running with the Demon - he was at Barnes & Noble in Roseville a couple of years ago). I really like Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series, but after the 6th one, I decided I would buy the paperbacks as they come out, but I'm not going to read any of them until the series is over, at which point I'll start over from the beginning.

Favorite Shakespear play: Rent - oh, wait; that's a musical by Jonathan Larson. Much Ado About Nothing. I just hate sad endings, so it has to be a comedy.

Current Favorite Songs: I just got Weird Al's Running With Scissors album, so "The Saga Begins" and "Polka Power" (yeah, I know it sounds bad, but it's a SCREAM).

All-time Favorite Song: Hearing the 1812 Overture on the Fourth of July. Hard to understand how a song by a Russian can evoke such Patriotic feelings (it gives me shivers), but there it is.

Favorite Foods: Pizza, Chocolate Chip cookies (Homemade or Sweet Martha's :)), and Coca-Cola. You'd never know it to look at me though, heh, heh.

Hobbies: I love programming, so that's one. I recently wrote an ASP/VB version of Phase10, a card game. In college I wrote a Tripple Yahtzee! game in Pascal, and somewhere in there a Tetris clone. I also love playing video games (pc and N64). I like watching professional sports, especially football and baseball (baseball most of all). I'll be going to the NCAA games at the 'dome next weekend, too.

I haven't written any fan fiction, but I wouldn't mind trying, although I'd probably be better going out on my own and starting from scratch. I sometimes am reading a Star Wars novel and think "I could do this." I'm happy with NJO: Vector Prime so far, though. After reading R. A. Salvatore's Icewind Dale trilogy, I was extremely skeptical (he totally rips off Tolkien). About a fourth of the way in, it's pretty good.

I'm NOT viewing spoilers for Ep. II. I read everything I could get my hands on for Ep. I, and I wasn't as thrilled as I thought I would be watching it. I still liked it; don't get me wrong. It just didn't live up to my own excitement. I sometimes wish I could have someone tell me what movies to go see, but go into the movie knowing

2. Bria

Bria Manager Emeritus, -MNFF Council star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 15, 1999
    Oh my gosh!!! Your son is so adorable. You're a Christian too. Very cool. I like that. :) Oh, and I also enjoy the movie the Cutting Edge.

Here's my 'boys':

http://www.zing.com/album/?id=4294728555

My favorite SW film is ROTJ. The whole Redemption of evil, finding the good within one's self... that's what I love. Plus it was great to see the Empire defeated. :)

I agree with the Ep.2 spoiler thing. Allow I write prequel fanfic, it is *pure* speculation on my part, based on what do already do know.

~*~Bria

3. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Hmm, nice to meet you.

*Goes back to lab*

4. jfren484

Mar 21, 2001
    Cute cats! We have a cat, too. Her name is Beauty. We had a male cat named Beastie (Beauty and the Beast), but he had Feline leukemia and we had to put him to sleep last November. :(

Hey, Bria, do you know Ben Tharpe? He plays on the U's hockey team.

5. MaraJadeSkywalkerFF

MaraJadeSkywalkerFF Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2000
    I was going to copy and paste this, but thought I'd suppy the link, since it's buried on another page and you might want to read up on everyone!

http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=1477769&replies=36

jfren484, CUTE baby! I have three girls, Ashley Sierra, Amber Crystal and Autumn Heather (I like nature... :) ). Ashley is 6 and a half and Amber and Autumn (identical twins) are 5. I'll try to post some pictures soon.

Bria, one of my very first kitties growing up was half Siamese! I [face_love] Siamese!

6. MaraJadeSkywalkerFF

Nov 27, 2000
    P.S. I love Monty Python! Also, Star Trek (although I'm not as passionate about it as SW, I do like ST too), Indiana Jones, and Liar Liar was very funny (probably the only thing I've like Jim Carey in).

I'm also a Christian as well.

7. Fenix

Fenix Jedi Master star 3

Feb 14, 2000
    Cool, I'm not the only one who likes Stargate! Although I prefer the TV series.

I'm a Christian, also.

8. KursariGama

KursariGama Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 29, 2000
    Well met, jfren484...

Ah..."Running with the Demon" I liked that book. A good sequal...though I can't remember the name of the first one...

Did he ever make a sequal to "Running with the Demon"?

Enjoy your stay...

9. Bria

Bria Manager Emeritus, -MNFF Council star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 15, 1999
    Cute cat names... I think if I had kittens right now (m/f) they'd be Anakin and Padme. :) Sorry to hear you had to put one of them down. I lost an earlier Siamese I owned because he got sick at age 4. :(
    I've had many cats in my life. The one that we had to put down was named Sammy, he was a Seal Point, and before we had him we had his brother, Thai, but I lost Thai when I moved. :( Sushi and Beijing are brothers. Sushi is a Seal Point and Beijing is a Blue Point. And what to know something special about them? Kirby Puckett himself has heard them meow. :) The night my mom and I bought them at a non de-funct pet show near Southdale, Kirby Puckett happened to be in their buying supplies for his dog. I talked to him. I believe I had Sushi in my arms at the time, but I could be mistaken. He definately heard my cats meow though... you could hear them all over the small store. ;)

No, I don't think I'v heard of Ben Tharpe. Should I have?

Oh... I liked StarGate the movie, but I have never seen the show... I was just really having trouble thinking up titles of sci-fis I liked... they were tv shows but I also loved Time Trax, Quantum Leap (that one was *the* best- I even wrote a SW/QL fanfic), and Sliders (when it was on Fox).

~*~Bria

10. KursariGama

Nov 29, 2000
    All of those are cancelled I believe...

Some other good shows to check out are:
    "7 Days" and "Andromeda"

7 Days is a good time traveler...

Andromeda is some very good Sci-fi...

11. jfren484

Mar 21, 2001
    Those are great shows. I loved Quantum Leap and Sliders (until Sabrina Lloyd, and especially Jerry O'Connell, left). This will be dating myself, but I also loved Buck Rodgers and Battlestar Galactica.

12. MaraJadeSkywalkerFF

Nov 27, 2000
    I also loved Quantum Leap and Sliders!

And I may as well date myself too, I loved Buck Rogers and Battlestar Galactica. Hey, what were those things that had the red lightie eyes moving back and forth (I'm sure Phil remembers!) One of my first crushes was Dirk Benedict's character (Starbuck I think)! Did they name that coffee house after him? Hmh... I wonder...

Did anyone watch the cartoon G-Force/Battle of the Planets? I set my Bugs Bunny alarm for that show!

13. jfren484

Mar 21, 2001
    KG - Yeah, "Running With the Demon" was the first of a trilogy. The second was "Knight of the Word," I think. The third was "Angel Fire East." I've only read the first one so far, but plan to read the others.

14. KursariGama

Nov 29, 2000
    Ah..."Running with the Demon" was the first one...

"Knight of the Word" is a good one...

I'll have to see if I can get my hands on the third one...

15. jfren484

Mar 21, 2001
    Mara,

I LOVED G-Force. Do you remember Casey Kasem was one of the voices?

The guys with the red lights were Cylons. :)

In Buck Rodgers my favorite character was Erin Gray's character. Ay-chee-wa-wa.

Hey, when did you live in Greenville, SC? I was there from fall of 1991 through the end of '95. I went to college at Bob Jones University (source of much controversy during the elections) and then worked for Michelin for a year before moving to MN. That's where I met my wife. :)

16. MaraJadeSkywalkerFF

Nov 27, 2000
    As a girl I used to pretend I was Princess from G-Force. Didn't 7-Zark-7 remind you of R2D2?!

For those of you who don't know G-Force/Battle of the Planet, check the links:

http://www.akdreamer.com/botp/

http://www2.angulang.org.uk/

Let's see, I lived in Greenville in 1972 (before you were born I bet!) I was only three, so I don't remember much about it other than playing by a swamp and bringing home a snake I had found. Mom was not very pleased! I currently have a friend living in Easley.

17. Fenix

Fenix Jedi Master star 3

Feb 14, 2000
    Stargate SG1 is on FOX29 at 11:00 PM on Saturdays. That's one hour from now if you want to see it tonight.

18. MaraJadeSkywalkerFF

Nov 27, 2000
    Does he not look like R2D2?

http://www.akdreamer.com/botp/zark.html

I wonder if that was intentional...

Hey, which character did Casey Kasem do?

19. JediGemini

JediGemini Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    I watch StarGate SG1 religiously! Actually, it's on three times every weekend where I live, Fenix: Twice on Saturday's on Fox 32 and then on WQAD out of the Quad cities and then once on Sunday on Fox 32 again! I love it! Not that anyone cares, I'm sure. Just offering some useless information!

20. Mos_Eisleian_Radio

Mos_Eisleian_Radio Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2000
    Yes, I did know they were Cylons, Mara.

Phil

21. Fenix

Fenix Jedi Master star 3

Feb 14, 2000
    I'm jealous of you, JediGemini. Although do you watch it when it goes into reruns? Which it was last night.

22. jfren484

Mar 21, 2001
    Casey Kasem was the voice of Mark. I didn't remember, so I looked it up on IMDB: http://us.imdb.com/Name?Kasem,+Casey

23. Mos_Eisleian_Radio

Nov 26, 2000
    Quantum Leap and Sliders were two shows I really liked. I only watched the first couple of seasons of Sliders, though. I didn't see any of the Sci-Fi Channel-produced shows.

I never cared that much for Battle of the Planets. Actually, that little robot reminded me of Les Nessman from WKRP in Cincinatti for some reason.

The show I really loved when I was a kid was Space Giants. It was a live action show from Japan about this robot family, Goldar, Silvar, and Mikko. I don't remember now if Mikko was the robot or the kid, who was their ally. The robots were giants (natch) and could transform into rockets. When Erica told me about painting herself silver for a party last year, I was reminded of Silvar. Each episode flowed into the next one, but there was a first episode and a last episode, and at the time I thought that was so cool.

Phil

24. Mos_Eisleian_Radio

Nov 26, 2000
    I just looked it up. Gam was the name of the third robot. Miko was the name of the kid who was the robots' ally and could call on them with a special whistle.

Phil

25. JediGemini

JediGemini Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    Fenix: It depends on which episode it is. The one that's been on this weekend, I might watch it again tonight (cause I missed it yesterday). It was pretty good. But it's just like the X-Files with me (I absolutely LOVE that show). I ususally watch those re-runs too!
    What can I say! I'm a t.v. addict!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.