Introducing the Collectors Guild

Discussion in 'Milwaukee, WI' started by TheWampas1138, May 20, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheWampas1138 Jedi Master

star 4
    This is an idea I have been working on in my head for a while, though it is still rough around the edges. Listening to people at the Saturday meeting only confirmed my beliefs that it would be a good idea. I heard a lot of people say, "Oh I saw (X-action figure) at the Walmart..." and a lot of others respond that they were looking for said figure. If people had known this ahead of time, it might have saved some people some trouble.

The idea is relatively simple, everyone posts what they are looking for in an ongoing thread that we can start if people like this idea. They can also list how far they are willing to travel, and if they would prefer people to just buy the items and be paid back. This has already worked with a few people, so I think it would be great to expand it. In the case where people cannot, or don't want to pick up the item for another, report in the thread when (including time) and where you found it. There would have to be a few guidelines so that everyone is comfortable with the guild:

1) This is listed first because I think it's the backbone of the group. It's our golden rule. Anything you buy for someone else, you charge them what you paid for it. This is a service, not a chance to make money.

2) When looking for someone else, if you are uncomfortable with the idea, or unable to purchase the item someone is looking for, just report where you have found it.

3) People should post here when they find something for someone else, rather than in a private message (though clearly they could post and send a PM) so that everyone else in the group knows to stop looking for the item. Also, if you find something you're looking for yourself, post it here.

4) Only request items that you intend to keep, don't use this as a way to get things to put on Ebay or sell to a scalper.

5) If you are looking for multiples of an item (for instance, one to keep on the card, one to open) and someone else is looking for the same item, everyone gets one before you get a second. I think that's only fair.

6) Try to list priority items. Chances are that often many people will be looking for the same items, so some people are going to miss out early on. For example, right now there are a few figures out like the Masiff (the dog thing with the Geonosian), Bespin Luke, Bespin Vader and the big blue guy with three names. Your priority might be Luke, and someone else's might be Vader though both of you want them all. So if someone in the group finds one of each, each of you would get one. It keeps things even.

7) It will happen on occasion that two people find the same item on the same day and pick it up for a single person. To try and avoid people getting stuck paying for something they don't need, they can list the item here and hopefully it will be picked up by another person. If not, I think it should be the responsibility of the requestor to pay for both or the two could work out an arrangement. Chances are though that this will be a rare occurence. Everyone should check the thread everyday so that we cut down on this as much as possible.

8) Since the golden rule is taken, we'll call this the silver rule. Everyone should be fair. If you ask for a lot of things, and someone else only asks for one (for example if they only collect Yoda, or droids, or just wanted a Plaskool set) then understand if it goes to that person.

If anyone is interested in this idea, all you have to do is post here. Feel free to propose additional guidelines, or modify the ones I have listed. If this idea works, it will make collecting a lot easier for everyone. The group can function in many ways, for instance we found an extra Yoda, didn't know anyone was looking for it, but turns out someone was. If you find rare things, chances are someone will want it, but if not then don't buy anything you aren't prepared to keep. Everyone will have a limit, and you have to be reasonable. For instance if you want the Lego Blockade Runner, I'll point out where you can buy it, but I wouldn't want to risk a $200 hit to the wallet. We can
  2. Skywalker1138 Jedi Knight

star 3
    I'm still the Mark Hamill collector. Anything rare, I'd rather take a look at first to see if I already have it or not, but I primarly collect the following:

? Mark Hamill rare pics mainly from Star Wars, but also from his other movies, incluing comics of his series Black Pearl, and anything 70's & 80's of his.

? Star Wars Classic Trilogy: 1977-1983:
    (will trade figure for figure/poster for poster... or monetary based on value). I collect figures, models, misc toys, international posters & photos, novels & books)

Only new merchandise I'm currenly looking for is:

? Yoda-Furby-like creature
  3. BYOB_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I'm the Lego collector.
  4. Zepo Jedi Knight

I collect non-fiction books
  5. Darth_Lee Jedi Master

star 1
    Legos....the Lego people owe me, I bought the Darth's Tie vs. Y-Wing set and they shorted me a bag of parts. :(

They made up for it though with the coolness of the Imperial Shuttle and Sith Infiltrator.
  6. LeiaYT1300 Jedi Knight

star 3
    I collect anything and nearly everything Leia-based and some Han-based things (some things I won't get due to poor creation--I sometimes regret purchasing the $30 KB Toys 12" Slave Leia--she's really grotesque). But I like the rare things best, especially from the old lines. I also like items such as rare T-shirts, rare photos, and other paraphernalia.

So if you see anything unusual of Leia, let me know! :)
  7. bwing53 Jedi Knight

star 3
    This sounds VERY good to me. I manage a local store and thus have complete control over ordering Legos, Hasbro, etc. Its a smaller store, so a lot of times I keep the orders to a few cases of things due to space/$$ issues. This might actually be made to work two ways: first, I might be able to get my fellow members the stuff that they can't find elsewhere; second, I'd be able to meet manufacturer's minimum order requirements a lot easier if I'm ordering for people outside the store. The only drawbacks are that I can't guarantee what assortments I will get; and that, being a
    smaller store, we must pay more for the product than the Toys R Us's and WalMarts of the world, so retail will be slightly higher. I've been ordering stuff for my personal collection for years, and would happy to do this for others, as long as: 1) it is a reasonable request 2) I am GUARANTEED you will buy what I order for you 3) You do not exploit the service as a way to make money. For example, I can order the Playskool Millenium Falcon, but I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable ordering three each for everybody--it's risky from our business's standpoint. As far as a collector's guild goes, it sounds awesome to me because there's a lot of stuff that I just cant get (like the damn TIE bomber I've been looking for for months) or that I don't have time to search for. Also, I'd much rather buy from friends than dealers, and I'd sure as heck like to SELL to friends, rather than dealers. If anyone is interested in what I've posted, feel free to PM me. I'll get back to you asap, and try to let you know what my ordering dates are (its only a couple times of year, not every month). Just promise to help me out if you can.
  8. Bishop76 Jedi Knight

star 3
    Well, I'm looking for (and have yet to have success finding):

Jango Fett (Final Battle)
    Mace Windu (Geonosian Rescue)
    Massif (With Geonosian Handler)
    Orn Free Taa (Senator)
    Qui Gon Jinn (Jedi Master)
    Darth Vader (Bespin Duel)
    Luke Skywalker (Bespin Duel)

Not in any particular order (okay, Vader first, but that's all)

Jeff
  9. bwing53 Jedi Knight

star 3
    Most of the major retailers in our area haven't yet received the case assortments of the figures you listed Bishop76-- according to rebelscum.com they just started popping up in selected markets around the nation. I can tell you from experience (and from having friends on both coasts) that we will see these show up three to four weeks after they begin showing up around the country, which I believe was a week or so ago. I'd check with Target and Toys R Us before searching WalMart for these--WalMart made a HUGE initial investment in the Episode II stuff and won't reorder until they manage to sell some of it off. Target is on the other end--they didn't order quite so much, so they will move their product much quicker and thus receive new case assortments.

Good Luck!

(My store has zero new figures right now--I just got the current Hasbro catalog and I'm working up the first order of EP2 stuff from them)
  10. BYOB_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I'm still looking for Swoop Rider (Asphalt Duel).
  11. SySnootles Jedi Knight

star 3
    What a wonderful idea Dwayne. I'm glad you thought of this.

I personally collect selected figures and other such stuff due to lack of funds and space. However, I am more than willing to pick things up for others. I tend to hang around at the Northridge Toys R Us (restraining order be damned!) for figures. I pass by a Walmart and Target every day to and from work, so traveling for me is not an issue. I also tend to frequent non Star Wars fan saturated areas which have more of a selection of items due to the minimal demand.

I will keep a copy of people's wish lists on me for easy access. Let's keep our fingers crossed!

Catie

p.s. Tom -- Shall I assume you receive the LegoClub catalogue? It always has a page or two of Star Wars stuff, usually with a set or two which aren't available through stores yet.
  12. solo414 Jedi Master

star 4
    I'm a collector of the original novels. Paperback, hardcover, comics... anything having to do with SW that's an original book. I usualy find them at Goodwill or Half Price Books. I'm also a Millenium Falcon and Han Solo collector.
  13. Darth_Lee Jedi Master

star 1
    Hey, I also go the Northridge TRU and pass by Wal-Mart and Target on the way to work...you don't work with me do you? :)

Actually, over the weekend the Northridge TRU did have a handful of Final Battle Fetts and Genosian Windu's. I take my lunch break right around there, if anyone wants me to stop and check for anything, let me know.

If anyone knows where I can get a Dagobah Darth Vader from the POTJ line of figures, let me know.
  14. jedihexer Jedi Master

star 2
    Dwayne- Thgis is a great idea. Since I have been collecting since oh, May 26th-1977. The truth is I think we could all help each other with stuff. The fact is I get TIRED and FED UP with hunting for this stuff. 3 variations, special edition, or my favorite...exclusive's!

I will do my best to halp out. I think when we meet again that if you are interested come with a list of wants...then we could start posting.

But beware...let's do this like Dwayne said-between us. I don't want the freedy farts who hord this stuff to get any good info!

Eric
  15. SySnootles Jedi Knight

star 3
    I'm pretty sure we don't work at the same place, Darth_Lee. There aren't any cool people where I work. Myself excluded, of course.
  16. bwing53 Jedi Knight

star 3
    Yeah--Everyone bring your lists to the next meeting.

Just like the old Colder's commercials--

Xmas in July!!!!
  17. Idaara Jedi Knight

star 3
    I'm not a big toy collector, so I'm not exactly sure what everyone is looking for. I just wanted to let eveyone know that the KMart at 76th and Good Hope seemed to have quite a selection of action figures (the regular and deluxe) when I was there yesterday.

What I am collect is whatever tickles my fancy at the time. I do have autographed books, photos, a few carded figures, pez (mostly bagged, 2 carded), cereal, fruit snacks, valentines, soda cups, and that's just the beginning. I do have two standees from TPM that I got just out of sheer luck. One is Amidala and one is a Qui-Gon used for the Frito-Lay promotion. I lived in a condo complex in Milw. and someone threw them into our cardboard recycling and they sat in the rain for a day (my husband saw them the day before, before it rained, but it didn't register with him that I might have been interested in them). My Qui-Gon is a little rough around the edges, but my Amidala has a tear about 1/3 of the way across the skirt (the fool who put these in the trash crammed them back into the same box and that's how she got torn). However, I just love them to death!

The main thing I'm trying to get together right now is a set of the "star-pics". I don't even need one of every color of each one. I just want one of each character. I'm at work, so I can't remember which ones I need, however I know I have three different colored Padme's.

Oh, and my favorite carded figure I have (which I know is worth nothing because it is an error) is a carded Luke in Tatoonie dress with the floppy hat that didn't make the movie. My sticker on it identifies him as "Princess Leia with Ceremonial Medal". That's a hoot!
  18. BYOB_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Aren't anomalous products worth more?
  19. Idaara Jedi Knight

star 3
    If you're referring to my Luke carded figure, the answer is no. Errors basically have no extra value. Variations on the other hand (ie. and I have no clue if this exits, but say there was a limited run of Jabbas that were a bit more tan than the later batches put out during the same series of carded figures), those are worth money. Trust me, I was disappointed to find out my Luke really isn't worth anything.
  20. Skywalker1138 Jedi Knight

star 3
    Almost all of my original figures are out out of the box, so for those seeking to trade classic trilogy figs, I'll need more info than "Bespin Duel Vader"--I guess the only way to know is to see them in person, and trade.
  21. TheWampas1138 Jedi Master

star 4
    Thanks Bwing for your offer. I do admit that there is a feeling of euphoria when we find a figure (we still talk about the day we found nine new figures at the Brookfield TRU, but that was so long ago it was the Gamorrean Guard/Snowtrooper waves), but that feeling isn't enough for me to want to skip it altogether and just get the figures easy. If we could order cases, that would probably make things easy. And you wouldn't have to worry about us selling things for profit, we buy things for ourselves or to get for other people in the group. That's really the justification for the guild as it were. We're all out there looking anyway, and sometimes I see things that I have, but are rare and I skip them. But if I had known that someone wanted it and couldn't find it, I would have picked it up. Since people seem interested, and to keep a clean thread, I think it would be best to create a list to be updated, so it wouldn't include all of this discussion. Also, I think it would be wise for people to point out their collecting style (on or off the card) because sometimes I find things where the card is very damaged, and I wouldn't want to buy it for someone that keeps everything on the card. Marcy and I take things off the card, so the condition doesn't really matter to us.

As far as toy hunting routes, Marcy works on 27th ST in Milwaukee, where there are two Walmarts, a Target, Kmart and Toys R Us, so on days that we are running early, we hit several of them, usually finding our old friend "disappointment."

Dwayne
  22. Bishop76 Jedi Knight

star 3
    Disappointment - I know him, but I call him Ellors Madak.

Jeff
  23. bwing53 Jedi Knight

star 3
    I'm with you Dwayne--most of the stuff I buy gets opened--I don't have enough cash to have two each of everything, and the figures are so incredible now that you are compelled to open and play with them. I'm not sure what the approach should be with starting a thread for requests--I'm totally in support of it; I'm just a little nervous that its going to go the way of so many other threads, which is way off track. What should we call it? We can get it rolling anytime--I'm game!

Note--I'm going to send my initial AOTC Hasbro order in tomorrow, but I'm sure I
    will be sending more later on. Some things that I'll be ordering for the store won't come in until sept/oct--I can post what these items are as soon as we figure out this new thread business.

Jason
  24. BYOB_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    This thread is fine for requests. I love what you guys are doing, just keep it in one thread please. Thanks! :)

So has anyone seen a Battle Damage Swoop Rider (Asphalt Duel) figure?
  25. TheWampas1138 Jedi Master

star 4
    Mace Windu 12" are in abundance at the TRU on 27th. You could literally create a battalion of them if you like. Just a heads up.:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.