Introducing the Collectors Guild

Discussion in 'Milwaukee, WI' started by TheWampas1138, May 20, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BYOB_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    McQuarrie Stormtrooper, eh? I'd be interested in seeing what that looks like.
  2. bwing53 Jedi Knight

star 3
    Spotted some of the "animated" Clone Wars figs at Targets on 27th st. and in New Berlin yesterday, but the Saga figures seem to be sorely lacking just about everywhere (including TRU, which has way-older figures collecting dust). The animated figures were a wee bit creepy--especially the Mace Windu. Anyway, it looks to me like these stores are primed for new shipments, as most of them have 10-14 empty hooks labeled for figures. Keep your eyes open.

Happy hunting!
  3. JAKEFETT Jedi Knight

star 2
    After a couple years of wanting one, I finally bought a full size standup of Darth Maul. The store is called "Oz" and it's located in the Kenosha outlet Mall. They had about 15 different standups (Boba Fett, Jango Fett, clonetroopers, stormtroopers, Vader, The Emperor, Slave leia [face_love] Yoda who I also picked up. I had a hard time just buying two, unfortunately though, I don't have enough space.

Also, at a store called Sharper Image in Mayfair Mall, I came across FX Master Replica lightsabers of Darth Vader and Luke Skywalker. After drooling and replying "My precious" over and over, I decided the 150 dollar price was a little too much. The colors were a little off too, Luke's being kinda baby blue and Vaders leaning towards the pinkish side. Great sound effects though. Oooh we wants it!! :)
  4. bwing53 Jedi Knight

star 3
    Wow. It certainly has been a while for this thread. I apologize for the long gaps. Let's try to get back into the swing of things here, and maybe we can put together a date for a collector's meeting and/or shopping excursion (if anyone knows of any sci-fi toy sales/swap meets, that info is always welcome here, and could provide basis for a little trip about town).

Anyone find anything cool of late? My store hasn't got anything really new lately, but I did order the Falcon, Tie Fighter, and repackaged X-Wing, plus 2 cases each of the Trilogy and Clone Wars figures. That stuff should start rolling in soon. For the record, we also have a couple of Unleashed figures--Yoda & Boba Fett (keep in mind that I'm not soliciting your business, just clueing you in on a source for SW toys).

I had looked all over the city for the Hoth Luke to go with my Deluxe Wampa, and I was pleasantly surprised to find one at Jewel Osco. Since then, I've seen more new figures there than anywhere else. It seems as though they now share in the TRU distribution, and they get new stock before the toy store does. Target does seem to have decent stock on the Deluxe figs (B'omaar Monk, Jabba), but nothing in the standard figs. TRU is a wasteland of late. Having talked to the Hasbro rep, I was informed that these chains are holding back orders until the Trilogy line comes out in late summer/early fall. What this means is less figures for the time being. Oh--and if I go into one more WalMart and see 8 empty hooks, I'm gonna kill someone (although the WalMart in Saukville had the new "Yavin" wave (Tie Pilot, Gen. Dodonna, Dutch Vander, etc) as of a week or so ago.

At least 2 of your fellow Milwookies are looking for the McQuarrie Stormtroopers--if anyone stumbles across it (fat chance, I realize), please let us know. Please feel free to post your "wanted" list here, and we'll try to keep our eyes out for those items for you.

It's also good to see that our collectors of other memorabilia are visiting this thread--after all, Mr. Lucas is awfully diverse in his shaking-down of us, and we should celebrate that diversity. I'd like to hear about any other SW "finds" that you guys come across (rummage sale season will be upon us shortly!).

Happy Hunting!
  5. JediRacer8 Jedi Master

star 2
    You have a store bwing? Now I know where to go for hard-to-finds. My collecting right now is unfortunately limited to the standard carded figures and a few other must haves, unless I find some good flea market finds. It was so much easier to afford toys when I was single and living with my parents :(
  6. bwing53 Jedi Knight

star 3
    I manage a variety store in Wauwatosa (within 2 miles of Mayfair. As I've said before, I buy certain types of toys for the store and relay the fact that I've ordered said toys to my collector friends. We charge competitive suggested retails (NO price gouging), but the catch is that I can tell my fellow collectors when exactly the stuff is in and where they can find it. No exhaustive, city-wide Wal-Mart searches, no frustration. They are happy, I'm happy to help them find the stuff they want, and the store owner is happy for the sales. Everyone wins. More importantly, I like doing it. I HATE the big chain-store employees who buy up everything before it hits the shelf and then become ebay profiteers--that's not cool. Everyone should be able to get what they're looking for on the shelves.

A year and a half ago I helped several of your fellow Milwookies procure the Playskool Falcon, among other things. Of course, the biggest problem is that I end up ordering stuff for myself, which leads to the rolling of my wife's eyes. I hear you about living with the parents, though. THOSE were the prime collecting days, let me tell you. We've gotta talk sometime, and when you're down this way you can pop in and check out the store and maybe over to my place to check out the collection, if you're interested.
  7. JediRacer8 Jedi Master

star 2
    Sounds like a good way to find what you're looking for. Our local Wal-mart rarely gets any SW toys in. I have been having a little more luck recently at the Geoffrey store here, though I suspect their employees are dipping into the shipments a little. I'm still kicking myself for not getting the Unleashed Luke they had a few weeks ago but just didn't have the cash that week.

Definately give me directions to your store and I'll be glad to give them some business. I've never been to Mayfair and need a good excuse to get down there. Luckily I married a fellow SW geek so I don't get the eye rolling.

I was lucky to find the Playskool Falcon at Fleet Farm's Toyland of all places. Got the last one. I'd like to check out your collection sometime too. Mine isn't growing as fast these days but it is still large enough to fill half of the house. If you're ever up in Fond du Lac let me know if you want to stop over.
  8. BYOB_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    [image=http://espn.go.com/media/pg2/2002/0131/photo/ogre_m.jpg]

"NERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS!!"
  9. bwing53 Jedi Knight

star 3
    Deemed so by expert testimony.
  10. JediRacer8 Jedi Master

star 2
  11. BYOB_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I use it as a term of endearment, of course. :)
  12. JAKEFETT Jedi Knight

star 2
    Looking for Star Wars toys has been difficult. I picked up a couple LOTR Witchking figures to tide me over.

Has anyone ever gone to the Star Wars shop right by Best Buy on 76th St? It's a small shop but it has lots of stuff including LOTR. The owner is an alright guy (fellow nerd) to talk to also. I always feel guilty though if I don't buy anything from him, like the guy is going to be dining on bread & water for the next week.
  13. Bishop76 Jedi Knight

star 3
    That guy is a price gouging jag. Trust me, he's not dining on ashes. He may seem nice, but his prices are *WAY* through the roof. I wouldn't recommend him to someone I hated.

14. JediRacer8 Jedi Master

star 2
    I've got some duplicate toys I want to get rid of (married another collection). Episode 1 fast food cup toppers, fast food toys, a musical bank with the droids, various Ep. 1 posters still on cardboard backing, Ep. 1 and AOTC Yoda carded action figures. Nothing too special but it's taking up room in my house that I don't have. Any takers? Otherwise I plan on trying to sell at my relative's garage sale later this spring.
  15. Outlander_ Jedi Knight

star 2
    I finally found the McQuarrie Stormtrooper, and didn't pay too much for it...ten bucks. I found it at a small sci-fi comic and toy show in West Allis at Burnham Bowl. The show occurs every other month on the first Sunday. June 6 is the next one, I believe. Might be a good time for a Guild meeting...discuss.
  16. JediRacer8 Jedi Master

star 2
    The Geoffrey store in Fond du Lac has had the McQuarrie stormtrooper stocked recently on several occasions. If you aren't against driving for it, you can get it there for regular price.
  17. Outlander_ Jedi Knight

star 2
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems silly that Hasbro would have fans vote for an action figure to be made, and then make it next to impossible for many of those very fans to find. I can't imagine how Hasbro would benefit from a secondary scalper market, so what gives? Someone needs to be very fired.
  18. BYOB_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    What's a Geoffrey store?
  19. JediRacer8 Jedi Master

star 2
    Geoffrey is what they are turning the Toys R Us stores into. So far the only ones I know of are in Fond du Lac and Appleton. They basically took out most of the toys and brought in more of the Babies R Us and Kids R Us stuff. I'm not thrilled with the fewer toys but they do have some cool stuff like a kids playground area, candy store, electronics area, party room, and an art-project like area with kids activities. Their selection on collectible toys like Star Wars is actually better now, they just don't carry near as many other toys as they did before.

And yes, it would make more sense to stock more of the fan figures since we are the ones selecting them. They can make a million Darth Maul figures but hold out on the fans' choice. Same as the EU figures, they produced less to make them rare but how did that make Hasbro money? The secondary market is the only one profiting.
  20. bwing53 Jedi Knight

star 3
    Not that anyone wants it that bad, but I did find about 20 "Red Leader" X-Wings at the TRU in Gurnee today. Same as Luke's Dagobah X-Wing from last year, but with new pilot.

Jason--remind me the next time one of those shows comes up, and we'll assemble as many collectors as we can (and maybe find our way to a local cantina or 2?).

I'm glad you found your Trooper, too!
  21. ToxicNed Grand Poobah of Madison WI - FF CR

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    Jason, next time I'm out I'll have to remember to bring my old Kenner figures for you to take a look at. I found them when I went to my parents over Easter and they're in decent condition.
  22. Outlander_ Jedi Knight

star 2
    I recently found the Fan's Choice #5...Captian Antilles figure at the Hiway 100 Target, along with the Sail Barge R2, Dengar, Bossk, Gold Leader, and General Dodonna.

Jason, sounds like a fine idea. We could meet up at my place and head over to the show, refresh ourselves somewhere, come back and grill up some dead animal.
  23. Outlander_ Jedi Knight

star 2
    June 6 is the next show.

So lets plan on a June 6 guild meeting. The new Target on Miller Park Way and Greenfield may be complete by then, and we can raid it for toys.
  24. JediRacer8 Jedi Master

star 2
    Geoffrey had a bunch of X-wings this weekend and the Rappertunie figure. Still looking for Holographic Luke.
  25. bwing53 Jedi Knight

star 3
    I have it, if you want it (I bought it, even though I'm not really that impressed with it). I'll sell it/trade it to you, if you'd like.

June 6 is on my calendar. I should be there (not sure if Mo will be in tow or not). As Collector's Guild Chieftan, I deem this an oficial meeting (the power courses through me like dark side energy--toys. toys, TOYS!).

When did I become such a dork?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.